walmart trade in better than gamestop!!!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yonaswii08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 yonaswii08
Member since 2007 • 796 Posts

SSPX0078

SSPX0078

http://gonintendo.com/?p=82879

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Anyone trading in games really needs to think about choosing another hobby.

All it does is hurt the industry

This is very bad news, the sooner we have complete digital distribution the better off we'll be

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

This is very bad news, the sooner we have complete digital distribution the better off we'll be

Jaysonguy
Trading games definitely hurts the industry but full digital distribution is not the correct answer. I'd rather see the industry take a small hit than see every single gamer take an enormous hit.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Rocky32189

Trading games definitely hurts the industry but full digital distribution is not the correct answer. I'd rather see the industry take a small hit than see every single gamer take an enormous hit.

The industry takes a huge hit from resales though.

There's no telling how many times a single game has been played, that means that every single game maker has no idea of the real "sales" of any software developed.

If it was all digital distribution the entire industry could be fine tuned with the exact number of sales and the exact number of plays

Right now it's just an advanced method of guesswork

Stephleref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Stephleref
Member since 2009 • 301 Posts

Any trade in system is better than GameStop basically so that's not saying much.

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GoDsSoN770
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
If something of mine is no longer of use to me, I can do whatever the **** I wanna do with it, including selling it, trading it in, or giving it away, because Its my property... If this is so much of a problem then maybe they should start doing things a bit differently. If not, then I guess it really isn't that big of a problem.
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

ughhhI dread the day of digital distibution :(

grove12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 grove12345
Member since 2003 • 895 Posts

If something of mine is no longer of use to me, I can do whatever the **** I wanna do with it, including selling it, trading it in, or giving it away, because Its my property... If this is so much of a problem then maybe they should start doing things a bit differently. If not, then I guess it really isn't that big of a problem.GoDsSoN770

trading games has been around since forever. Game developers already know this b4 making a game.

Now gamefly.... ah i love it but havent bought a game in 1 year and dont plan to.

Also ebay is a steal with used games, so i save money off that too. But people would of sold their games anyways to a place like gamestop and the seller, buyer, and developers will loose and gamestop will make the money.

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Hmmm, I'll have to check this out if there's one in Arizona. I wonder how much credit they give.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

The industry hurts themselves by producing games that people don't want to keep.
kakkarott23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kakkarott23
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Digital Distribution only will hurt the industry more than help it. I would stop buying a lot of games because I have no way to recoup some of the costifI don't like it or want it. The resell market has always been around like it was said. Gamestop is one of the few places that have done it right to make profits from it. I can't see this system working. How do they monitor what is going in? Will they require a credit card to use it? If it isn't properly done then someone will get screwed over with this.
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
Digital distribution is something I am against.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Me giving the game away on the street to a stranger would have the same negative impact then. Does the Salvation Army hurt the clothing industry? Your argument is a little skewed. Everything (minus food and a few others) get put back up forsale second hand. It hasn't ended the world yet.
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

games are just too expensive to always buy new. (stuff about the economy, etc)

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

The industry hurts themselves by producing games that people don't want to keep.

Bingo.
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

Jaysonguy

You really need some sort of evidence to support that Trade Ins = Bad for Game Industry.

I trade games in all the time, mainly the ones I never play again. And the game industry seems to be doing just fine.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

snover2009

You really need some sort of evidence to support that Trade Ins = Bad for Game Industry.

I trade games in all the time, mainly the ones I never play again. And the game industry seems to be doing just fine.

You can't really argue that trading doesn't hurt the industry. When you are buying a preowned game, the publisher gets no money for your purchase. If preowned sales are stopped, everyone would be forced to buy games new and publishers would receive every dollar that is spent towards gaming. However, I agree that it isn't a huge problem. The main problem is that retailers like Gamestop rip off their customers and push trade ins over new game sales because it is their main source of revenue.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="snover2009"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

You can't really argue that trading doesn't hurt the industry. When you are buying a preowned game, the publisher gets no money for your purchase. If preowned sales are stopped, everyone would be forced to buy games new and publishers would receive every dollar that is spent towards gaming. However, I agree that it isn't a huge problem. The main problem is that retailers like Gamestop rip off their customers and push trade ins over new game sales because it is their main source of revenue.

Companies hurt the consumer by not allowing trade ins or re-selling. It's called a free market -- it goes both ways.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Wake me when I can get actual cash.
GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GoDsSoN770
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Amen!! Tell them again.... You nailed it.
HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HyruleanLink
Member since 2005 • 5221 Posts
Game trades will always be around. I don't think that it can be completely tossed aside. However, I do think that trades need to be better controlled. Gamestop thrives on trades that are not the better deal. We may not see it now, but digital distrubtion of games may have a problem in the future.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#26 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Jaysonguy
Its a good thing for those who NEED money and cannot get a job yet... Like ME.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

bbkkristian
Its a good thing for those who NEED money and cannot get a job yet... Like ME.

Money you can only spend at Wal-Mart.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Money you can only spend at Wal-Mart.OreoMilkshake
But really, what DON'T they sell at Wal-Mart? :P I think it could be an okay idea if the credit you get is better than GS (which can't be too hard) but I prefer not to trade-in because I like to replay games a lot. I can find other ways to get money.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

[QUOTE="psychobrew"] The industry hurts themselves by producing games that people don't want to keep.Mike1978Smith
Bingo.

You hurt the industry by buying games you don't plan on enjoying.

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts

And here I just sold 11 games to gamestop :( might I add all games that have sat on the shelf for months.

borewyrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 borewyrm
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I understand why you claim this hurts the industry. Your statement that I need to think about choosing another hobby it plain twittery, however. 1) It is perfectly legal. Why should I sit of software that will go unused when I can transfer the license and cut my loss. 2) Seems to me if I quit the hobby that would be one less consumer in the market. Show me how that would improve revenue for anyone.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Jaysonguy
Don't you rent games with GameFly or something?
buckincrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 buckincrazy
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts

Jaysonguy

^wrong

gonna post that again since the admins felt the need to delete it.

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Hmmm, this might be something I'd be willing to check out. Depends on how much credit they're willing to give for the games. I always felt like I was getting a raw deal with Gamestop. I normally buy my games at Gamestop because I HATE tracking down people in the electronics department at Wal-Mart. When I bought my Wii at Wal-Mart they were like "take it, pay for it and GET OUT!"

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

There is nothing wrong with trading or selling used games, ebay use to be a great place for that, now its only an adequate place. Whats wrong is places like GS capitalizing on it at the expense of consumers and the industry. If I sell you a used copy of shenmue for 5 bucks, there's nothing wrong with that, I get rid of an old game I have no use for and give you a new game you want to play. Everybody wins, nobody loses. However what GS does is undercut the consumer on a game, like if I sell you UFC Undisputed which came out today I believe; If I were to sell it to you like 3 weeks from now, I would sell it to you for like 10 bucks cheaper. However selling it to GS a couple days later and it loses half its face value yet the sell it for 4 bucks less than face value and none of that goes to anyone but gamestop. That is complete bull, that someone needs to be regulated, if you are going to sell the game for 54.99 don't give me 25 bucks for the game and if you are going to pull that, then some of it needs to go to the publisher. Thats why I don't trade games in to GS because it doesn't benefit me, I get screwed as does the industry, GS is getting rich from the used game market and I wont have any part of that. But gamer to gamer sells and trade, there is nothing wrong with that, and digital distribution is not the easy answer. I think DigDis will lead to widespread pirating, hell the only reason there isn't more pirating in games now is because people are too lazy to mod hardware, or they don't want to risk it. Digital pirating? that is not a foriegn or difficult concept at all, I think that would be the biggest hit to the industry. Develpment cost would go down, but I think game sells will go down right along with it.
skullboy950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skullboy950
Member since 2008 • 348 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Rocky32189

Umm... ok, what the hell are you both talking about!? I honestly don't get how trading would hurt the industry. And I also disagree with full digital distribution that's the wrong thing to do.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
i use my local craigslist for game=game trades.
g1rldraco7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#38 g1rldraco7
Member since 2008 • 2988 Posts
That's very harsh to say about trade ins. It saves you money on paying off new games.
boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts

Now that there is some competition out there we might be able to get what the games are actually worth. Example Gamestop buys a game for like $10 and sells it for $30 I understand they need to make money but lets be fair about it. I think that having competition is good for the consumer.