Wait...there could be a major flaw with wii speak...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fiercedeity901
Member since 2005 • 6291 Posts
game feedback what i mean by that...is that if you can sit far away from the tv to use wii speak then it can pick up just about any noise right? well what if COD5 or the conduite uses this...those games since they're FPS's are quite loud, especially COD5...so if you like to have ur tv or surround up loud, won't we be getting extreme feedback through the speaker? i mean animal crossing isn't a very loud game and is quite peaceful...so no problem there...but any other game like sports games or FPS's are bound to be loud what do u guys think?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I'm sure Nintendo has already made aware and is coming up with some sort of plan to hear only your voice.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

First developers have to incorporate Wii Speak into their game.

Then we can talk about whether they were too lazy to tone out the louder sounds.

It's quite simple, but it would require you to understand how to filter specific wavelengths, which would be programmed to the noise cancellation on Wii Speak.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
well, if that happens, i will probably put the wii speak right next to me
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Oh crap I just made a thread about that. lol
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I think the box part is where it reduced background noise. From the video at E3 it seemed fine.
fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fiercedeity901

First developers have to incorporate Wii Speak into their game.

Then we can talk about whether they were too lazy to tone out the louder sounds.

It's quite simple, but it would require you to understand how to filter specific wavelengths, which would be programmed to the noise cancellation on Wii Speak.

SirSpudly
that'd be sweet...i already love the idea of just kicking back and just speaking without no stupid headset or cord (trust me, it's annoying) but if wii speak is really that awesome then even though PSN and XBL had the headsets first...nintendo is like already way ahead of them technically speaking
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

the wii speak is like a box that looks to block all sounds from behind ... at least, i hope they tryed to do that

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

thats something i cant answer, but im sure we wont have issues with something so important as their first headset that will be really used. and third parties will use it too.

u really think nintendo would give u a crappy acessory?

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

I'm sure Nintendo has already made aware and is coming up with some sort of plan to hear only your voice.wiifan001

Not possible nor practical with today's technology. Not only would it be costly to implement it to just record the voices but also consider that you too would have to hear the voices of other people playing game (as well as in game voices). I expect it to be no more than a cheap mic a kin to the one on the Wiimote with a amplitude range that of shouting. Don't expect this thing to pick up you whispering into it (unless you are right next to it). Believe me this thing is going to be a gimmick and its gonna be cheap. I think a headset is a way better idea.

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gam3r3OOO
Think speaker phone quality microphone.
Avatar image for POkemonfreak101
POkemonfreak101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#12 POkemonfreak101
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts
Hmm i didn't think about that TC, but none the less, I'm still looking forward to it.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
I doubt it. Nintendo would not make such an obvious oversight.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

u really think nintendo would give u a crappy acessory?

BrunoBRS

What kind of question is that? Of course they would. I don't really want to compare WiiSpeak to stuff like uh... the zapper. Just want to point out that they won't hesitate to let you pay for crap. I'm sceptic about the whole thing. I like to switch on another TV or listen to music while playing and I don't really want some internet strangers to listen when my girlfriend is sitting behind me talking on the phone or something. The filters better be epic.

Potat4o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Potat4o
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts
I'm waiting for a 3rd party like Logitech to make a headset, which should be totally possible.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Well it's supposed to come out with Animal Crossing and that comes out Spring '09. I think the real concern is will it even matter when it does come out?

What good online games are going to come out after then? I don't know if I would even bother playing most of them unless Nintendo does something else to improve its online in games. I have a feeling that voice chat will only be allowed in "Friends Only" matches/games and Nintendo is still keeping their bogus friend code system so it's still a pain in the neck to even get any friends. I highly doubt that Nintendo is going to patch all its old games just so we could have voice chat because if Nintendo thought voice chat was important the Wii would've shipped with something like Wii Speak. That is unless they release an external hard drive, but I don't think they'll do that because they didn't say anything about it at E3.

Too bad Nintendo already already threw out it's good games early in its lifespan. It might have been worth the lag to play SSBB and use voice chat. I still haven't even bothered playing MKWii online because I'm afraid of lag and it would be the exact same as racing the AI since you can't communicate with them at all.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

Well it's supposed to come out with Animal Crossing and that comes out Spring '09. I think the real concern is will it even matter when it does come out?

What good online games are going to come out after then? I don't know if I would even bother playing most of them unless Nintendo does something else to improve its online in games. I have a feeling that voice chat will only be allowed in "Friends Only" matches/games and Nintendo is still keeping their bogus friend code system so it's still a pain in the neck to even get any friends. I highly doubt that Nintendo is going to patch all its old games just so we could have voice chat because if Nintendo thought voice chat was important the Wii would've shipped with something like Wii Speak. That is unless they release an external hard drive, but I don't think they'll do that because they didn't say anything about it at E3.

Too bad Nintendo already already threw out it's good games early in its lifespan. It might have been worth the lag to play SSBB and use voice chat. I still haven't even bothered playing MKWii online because I'm afraid of lag and it would be the exact same as racing the AI since you can't communicate with them at all.

Ospov

lag with headset would be worse since now you'll just hear complaining from people about the lag.

and if you lag in mario kart too, then its not brawl, its your connection having the problem. mario kart online is smooth and fast.

dexter111344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dexter111344
Member since 2005 • 1578 Posts

I see another problem with it. Those "awkward moments" in your house (i.e. bil collectors or police banging at your door yelling, "Open up! We know you're here!", people's parents fighting in the background, someone yelling out, "Hey ****head! Telephone!", etc.) will be amplified, and everyone else will be able to hear it just as well as you can. Ha! It'll be comedy gold!

... What? Am I the only one who thought of that?... What?... QUIT LOOKING AT ME LIKE that. /me cries.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I'm waiting for a 3rd party like Logitech to make a headset, which should be totally possible.Potat4o

Yes, Nintendo loves it when we use third party products. No wait, it's more like: ONLY USE TEH NINTENO LAN ADAPTER OR YOU WILL DIE OF CANCER!!!1

20fox05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 20fox05
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

Too bad Nintendo already already threw out it's good games early in its lifespan. It might have been worth the lag to play SSBB and use voice chat. I still haven't even bothered playing MKWii online because I'm afraid of lag and it would be the exact same as racing the AI since you can't communicate with them at all.Ospov

Be afraid no more. It's lag free. Seriously. If you haven't played it yet because of that, GO BUY IT.

fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fiercedeity901

I see another problem with it. Those "awkward moments" in your house (i.e. bil collectors or police banging at your door yelling, "Open up! We know you're here!", people's parents fighting in the background, someone yelling out, "Hey ****head! Telephone!", etc.) will be amplified, and everyone else will be able to hear it just as well as you can. Ha! It'll be comedy gold!

... What? Am I the only one who thought of that?... What?... QUIT LOOKING AT ME LIKE that. /me cries.

dexter111344
100% agreed...i can't wait to hear what goes on in some peoples houses...annoying parents, drunks fighting...it's gonna be classic
bam2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bam2000
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

Im a musician and I know for a fact that any microphone (unless its a 360 microphone) will be less likely to pick up any form of noise thats source is be hind the way the microphone is working. Example. If you use the Rock band mic, and sing the other way around (chord facing the mouth) it wont pick it up. Its simple.
Also who even plays theyre games loud enought to cause game feed back?

fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fiercedeity901

Im a musician and I know for a fact that any microphone (unless its a 360 microphone) will be less likely to pick up any form of noise thats source is be hind the way the microphone is working. Example. If you use the Rock band mic, and sing the other way around (chord facing the mouth) it wont pick it up. Its simple.
Also who even plays theyre games loud enought to cause game feed back?

bam2000
trust me...a TON of people play COD4 and halo3 so loud that even the 360 mic picks it up....and wii speak is supposed to implement the WHOLE ROOM...so in short...wii speak is extremely powerful...thus is why i have the worry i do
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

[QUOTE="Ospov"] Too bad Nintendo already already threw out it's good games early in its lifespan. It might have been worth the lag to play SSBB and use voice chat. I still haven't even bothered playing MKWii online because I'm afraid of lag and it would be the exact same as racing the AI since you can't communicate with them at all.20fox05

Be afraid no more. It's lag free. Seriously. If you haven't played it yet because of that, GO BUY IT.

I think you misunderstood me. Probably because I didn't explain that well... I have MKWii, I just haven't played it online yet. I played it for a while but I ended up losing interest in it. I figured they probably had a decent online connection, but I just haven't got around to actually hooking up my Wii and putting the disk in (yeah, I'm THAT lazy lol)

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
Yeah I thought about this and there is also an issue for people like me who need to sit 12 foot+ away from our tv's, I would imagine the speaker would be better of right next to you to be honest.
mkDSpro63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 mkDSpro63
Member since 2006 • 781 Posts

I can see where everyone is going with this and frankly it all makes sense. Now, I don't know much about wavelengths and sound and technical mumbo jumbo, but hopefully the WiiSpeak won't be a hassle using, especially when there's other people in the same room doing different activities. According to some people saying it'll be funny to hear the backround like parents fighting or some messed up crime scene (okay scratch that), looks like WiiSpeak will turn out fine.

GamerBoy53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 GamerBoy53
Member since 2008 • 2666 Posts
Yeah, I started thinking about the flaws it could have not much longer after I heard the announcement. I hope Nintendo makes it work well with background noises.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
i dont think nintendo would make such a big mistake they must know something we don't
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gam3r3OOO

I just realized something... The Wii is on continuously, so... what if Nintendo was actually spying on its users with this mic on the sensor bar? And then Nintendo's super computer will analyze the data and watch its users. Theres no better way to obtain information from people (without their knowledge) than when they are at home yelling. This combined with the everybody votes channel, personalized Miis and Nintendo book personals your privacy shall be forever taken away by Nintendo.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
Noise cancellation technology is pretty advanced and I'm sure they're doing something for that but if all else fails stick it next to you (some kind of usb extension cord may be needed?)