Virtual Console or Real Console ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

What do you think about gettin old games via virtual console, or get the originals for a little more money ? i live in mexico, i own the snes, nintendo 64, gamecube and the wii... ive' downloaded some old games from the nes, snes and genesis.. but for the other hand, i have like 8 games of snes, and 10 games of the 64... all of my nintendo sytems work fine, in fact i change the joystick of the 64 control for a new one, and revived my old system..
my point is, is it better to have it all in the wii, or should i spend 20 or 30 dls for snes games that i want, in their original plattform ?

ideas, toughts and everything else are welcome
GAMERILEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GAMERILEY
Member since 2007 • 249 Posts

I prefer real console. It has a better feel to it when I am playing the games.

Virtual console makes me want a Turbografx though.

emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 emilioacosta

i know what you are saying, because i love the old nostalgic feel that the snes, 64 have... the only two systems i would buy is the nes, sega and turbografx... but.. for example i dont know what to decide.. my tv only have one component.. and i havce tu unplugged the audio/video, for the snes, 64, and wii, and that is like ooh whats on ? the wii.. lets play it.. kind of lazy i know
but for example if i had games like donkey kong country, in the wii i would play more that games.. and the real carttridges only for nostalgia or collection i guess..
besides the expensive devices to have video 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, there's no other kind of switch to have all my systems plugged on ?
HappyProzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HappyProzak
Member since 2005 • 515 Posts
Personally, I would go for the Virtual Console. The fact is, that it's convienent. Your games are stored on a card that is not much larger than the size of a stamp and you have it all on one console.
Boni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Boni
Member since 2005 • 921 Posts
well since i dont have the nes snes and 64 anymore i would say the virtual console
illbitcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 illbitcrusher
Member since 2004 • 2052 Posts
I'll go with the VC because I actualy won alot of games on there that I didn't have in real life and it is very conveniant
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
Vc
clarkeyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 clarkeyboy21
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
Real console. The virtual console isn't worthit - convinent but If i could be bothered I'd buy the console.
Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts

You have all those consoles hooked up to one t.v.? That must take up a lot of space! And do you have to unplug and plug cables every time you want to play a different console?

That just sounds insanely inconvenient. I'd go VC.

Darklink25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darklink25
Member since 2006 • 416 Posts
VC just cause some of my SNES games dont like to save
ZeroWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ZeroWil
Member since 2004 • 171 Posts
Well, if it weren't for the virtual console, I would have never played Super Metroid. I think Real Console may be better since you get to use the original controller, but VC is fine by me. Now, when can I expect Contra Hard Corps. for the Sega Genesis, my Sega doesn't work anymore and I don't know where the cartridge is. :(
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
Real console is nicer, but it's a pain.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 StarFoxA
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts

Well, since I would have to track down an NES, SNES, and N64, I prefer Virtual Console.

But I wish they were all immediatally available, because I hate waiting.

Icegoten200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Icegoten200
Member since 2005 • 595 Posts

I prefer real console. It has a better feel to it when I am playing the games.

Virtual console makes me want a Turbografx though.

GAMERILEY

Same for me :D I also get my original console games for cheaper than they are on VC with the exception of rare games.

Also its bad to have all those games on there and then one day you lose your wii or power surge and it erases everything.

I have never heard of Turbografx before VC so thats the only games im thinking about getting since i have all other systems and over 30 games for each.

tyzwain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: -2

#15 tyzwain
Member since 2007 • 1449 Posts
I prefere real consoles and game. You get artwork etc., and its neat. But in Europe we get games that were never released, so we got SMBLL and mario picross which is what the Wii is for. Also we havent got a turbografix in PAL territory, so its good to play it on the Wii's VC.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

both have their faults,. i actually like both ,ill start by explaining why its good or bad to use a console

good, your already familiar with consoles controller, you already own it , no need to dl anything good for collections

the bad part , hooking and unhooking of multiple consoles cartridges can wear out, (ive went through 10 copies of goldeneye 4 of pd 2 turoks , etc ) the cost of a cartridge can cost over what the vc costs for the same game ex, all n64s on vc so far have been 10 $ super mario 64 at a store would cost me no more then 20$ that is 10 $ more some times i can get a good deal but like i said some times its more expensive especally for titles like goldeneye or perfectdark and its also harder now to find anything if your not into auction sites like ebay

the virtual console

goods.. well never break . good prices sometimesbetter then retail , samegamejust different format , noneeds to unhook and hook up multiple consoles and good for those whocant find theold systemsespecally tg16those are rare as heck ,

the bads, the download times suck for n64 games ,unfamiliar with the controller at first, no valuemeaning you wont get no $ for selling the wiivc games hence the impossibility , and thats pretty much it ,

they both tome are great, id also like to add that some games have not been released like goldeneye

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
For the most part, I lean towards real console. I like breaking out my NES, SNES, and N64 to play my old games. But I also like the convenience of the VC. As a college student, I have a limited number of items to bring to school with me. With the Wii and VC, I can play 20+ years of games in one small housing unit. I especially like not having to worry about whether or not my game saves will have been dropped by an old battery or if the cartridge will turn on after all those years of use.
emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emilioacosta
thanks for all the answers..
well if i choose to still use all of my systems.. where can i get a device with a lot of inputs, to have like video 1, 2, 3, 4, if my tv is only one component ?
Thomas4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thomas4
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
My first blog explains why I am getting all the old games. I'm thankful for the virtual console.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

I'll always say real console for a few reasons.

1. I've got a TV that has oodles of inputs on it so I can hook up like over a half-dozen consoles on it and put them in a rack.

2. I'm a collector and I like having all the original boxes, manuals, discs, catridges etc.

3. I'm a bigtime SEGA fan and no Wii controller is well suited for SEGA games. The old school controller is modeled after the nintendo controller (for obvious reasons of course) and I'd just rather play on a 3 or 6 button Genesis controller.

4. Unless you're talking rare games, the hard copies of games are a lot of times cheaper than they are in the VC, at least in my area of classic gaming...I've not done much research on resell value of ninty stuff.

To answer your question about a source selector, I've got one by Psyclone model# PSC01. See what you think.

Latah,

Dave

LProjektST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LProjektST
Member since 2005 • 1055 Posts
Real Console all the way. I love my VC games though. BTW VC stands for Virtual Crap if it involves Turbocrap.
emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emilioacosta
thanks whoozwah for the info about the source selector, thats what im looking for, to have all my systems plugged in, without a cable drama.
thanks everyone to for all the replys
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts
glad I could help out :)
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
If I have/can get the games on a real console, then I will. Otherwise VC.
Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
I find it cheaper to buy old games for original systems to be way cheaper. I can easily get a Genesis game for under $3 and NES games for 75¢ each.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
I honestly don't care which, really. The VC let's you get rare games for 10 dollars or less, which is a great deal compared to the prices for the original games on Ebay.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
Nobody mentioned the Virtual Console runs games at 480p. And it makes quite a difference (especially when playing N64 games).