VC Releases for 10/29/07 (Simon's Quest for the Magician Samurai!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLAS-SIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

Oct. 29, 2007

This Halloween, you needn't leave your own living room to encounter spooky spirits and creepy creatures from mysterious otherworlds. The Wii Shop Channel is celebrating the year's most frightfully fun holiday by offering a mix of eerie games that'll keep players' spines tingling. Mash with monsters in a clas-sic Castlevania sequel, tangle with supernatural samurai or battle as a powerful magician-you're bound to discover cool tricks and visual treats no matter which titles you choose. Happy Hallo-Wii!

Today Nintendo adds three new clas-sic games to the popular WiiTM video game system's Wii Shop Channel. The games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii PointsTM to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Castlevania® II Simon's Quest (NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): In this one-player adventure, you'll take on the role of Simon Belmont once again and duel to the death with Count Dracula. Grab your legendary whip, Vampire Killer, and roam freely through Transylvania on a quest to find the count's missing body parts-these are the key to breaking an evil curse. This quest won't be easy, though, for you must battle hideous fiends who stalk the land. In addition to the intense action and tight control the Castlevania series is known for, this sequel also introduced several unique game-play elements into the fold. Build experience the longer you play, buy weapons and items from merchants, or talk with villagers to get clues (some of which are false). Watch as day turns to night and then back again. Take a deep breath, steady your nerves, and help Simon end his curse and defeat the count once and for all.

SAMURAI-GHOSTTM (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Animated Blood and Violence, 600 Wii Points): This action platformer features a samurai ghost from the depths of the underworld. In a past war, Kagekiyo managed to defeat the shogun Yoritomo and his clan. However, their evil spirits were not completely destroyed, and now, in the world known as Dark Side, they seek the time of their rebirth. In order to shatter those ambitions, Kagekiyo must make his way across seven zones and head for "The Heart of the Darkside" where Yoritomo lies in wait. Use spirit weapons to power up your sword, or other items, such as candles to recover health, and defeat the endless hordes of enemies. Each zone is not only protected by a boss but also includes demons as well as real samurai from 12th-century Japan. Get ready for some intense one-on-one combat action.

MAGICIAN LORD (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen - Blood and Fantasy Violence, 900 Wii Points): Released in 1990 and regarded as one of the NEOGEO's earliest signature games, this side-scrolling platformer mixes action with the mystical world of fantasy. A magician named Elta, last descendant of the famed Magician Lord, takes on an epic adventure to save the world from the evil Gul-Agieze. Elta must battle through eight stages, collecting the eight tomes of power that are key to defeating Gul-Agieze and his evil plans. By obtaining orbs in one of three colors (elements) that appear during the game, Elta's offensive powers and jumping abilities can be strengthened. The effect varies considerably depending on the combination of elements, though, and Elta can transform into six different forms: Waterman, Dragon Warrior, Shinobi, Samurai, Raijin or Poseidon. Can you help Elta to become the new Magician Lord?

Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts

Castlevania 2 is alright but I'm going to wait for 3

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

Castlevania 2 is different from the other ones quite a bit, it had RPG elements that some liked and some didn't. If you just want striaght up Castlevania action then get the first one or wait for 3.

I don't know anything about the other games this weak, heheh.

Zuul13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Zuul13
Member since 2007 • 326 Posts
Meh, I'm still holding out for Chrono Trigger
Elbowsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Elbowsmash
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts
Simon's Quest is the weakest of all the tradtional Castlevania games IMO. I'll pass and wait for C3.
chaoss13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaoss13
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Simons curse was a very odd addition, IMO. But it was still worth beating. I may have to have a trip down memory lane on this one.

Never even knew of Samauri Ghost, anyone have input on that one?

Magician Lord was awesome back in it's day. That is the only definite for me this week. Good to see Neo Geo games other than fighting games hit the VC.

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
It's nice to see another Castlevania game hit the VC. Anyone know anything about the other two?
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
Simon's Quest was bad in my opinion. I hated every time it became dark or morning you literally had to sit for ten seconds while a bix came up to tell you so!
Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts
yet another horrible pathetic lame week and still no kirby super star , kirby dreamland 3 , kirby 64 the crystal shards or star fox.
bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
look up Castlevainia II and Angry Nintendo nerd on Youtube.
chisoxrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chisoxrule  Online
Member since 2005 • 2097 Posts
I remember Castlevania II being lame back in the day but I might want to give Magician Lord a shot since I've always wanted to try it and I give them credit for releasing a Neo Geo game that isn't a silly fighting game.
gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
L-A-M-E again for the umpteenth week in a row.
smarskite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smarskite
Member since 2003 • 59 Posts
  • I love Simon's Quest. It 's worth getting for the music alone. I could see it being frustrating though if you don't have all the secrets memorized.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Another pass week. Please give us a RPG already! (Mario doesn't count)
Patch5129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Patch5129
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts

I bought Castlevania II and Magician Lord.

HAD to buy CVII, im like a cat for catnip on that franchise, and thought I should play the game before juping on the "Simon's quest sucks" bandwagon.

Magician Lord just looks like good fun

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Another lame week, why didn't they bring out Castlevania 64?
Superstrokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Superstrokey
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
Wonder what kind of business model or citeria they go by for releasing these games. As far as i can tell its random 1 from each system. 3 a week is just too few to get through all of them. Nintendo really needs to get some thing going with square or something like that. Also more koei games is a must.
Ablasio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ablasio
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

Simon's Quest is, for me, the best Castlevania on NES, so I'll take it. I'll surely give a try to Magician Lord.