VC games: A constant flow of 6.5s?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VitamiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 VitamiX
Member since 2005 • 487 Posts

Has anyone else noticed this? Just look at some of the reviews

Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

Has anyone else noticed this? Just look at some of the reviews

VitamiX

Yeah, I disagree with a lot of the reviews. but eh, I pretty much know what looks appealing to me and base my decision on that.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
I don't trust on any reviews for the VC games.
VitamiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VitamiX
Member since 2005 • 487 Posts

Same, but like the recent review of adventure island. I clicked it and I was like "I bet this is gonna be 6.5." Same with world sports competition. I can't think of any others right off the bat but there are lots of 6.5 VC games.

digiram79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 digiram79
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts
They gave Super C a 6.5 I think. They must lack skill, and are frustrated with fast action side scrolling shooters. Honestly, I have trouble playing this game as well, currently. When I was younger, however, I remember kicking but in these types of games.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They're based on the level of gaming today.

That most games can score around 6.5-7 20 years later shows just how great many of these games are.

ciaran22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ciaran22
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts
Only go by the reviews on vc-reviews.com for Virtual Console Reviews and IGN for Wii reviews please.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

Only go by the reviews on vc-reviews.com for Virtual Console Reviews and IGN for Wii reviews please.ciaran22

I don't agree, all those reviews are is fan service to make the people who owned the games before happy.

Gamespot is the only place that judges the games on how they hold up today. Not crafting their reviews so they're tame enough for buyers in years gone by.

If you spend today's money on these games then you judge them on today's scale. No one should give points for nostalgia.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Some of them deserve the 6.5 but a lot don't. It's all about personal taste and nostalgia.
DSandWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DSandWii
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Personally I think it's pretty stupid to see anyone review a V.C. game, I mean the big media sites anyway. How can they, they already reviewed the game once, nothing has changed since the first release on consoles. It's "nice" for some people that don't know what to buy (though they should just read the original review), but certain games were great once and now they think they aren't today. (That might do with their age, but still, to me the integrity of the reveiw depends upon it staying over time) I mean even though they might not be what they'd like now, how can you re-reveiw it, it just shows us that no score matters, the games will always change score over time. So no one should bother about scoring them in the first place. The system must be very faulty if the score changes. You know what I mean? They should just tell us if the game is still fun, and to go read the original review. Though I think I kind of understand why they do reveiw them. Oh well.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

Personally I think it's pretty stupid to see anyone review a V.C. game, I mean the big media sites anyway. How can they, they already reviewed the game once, nothing has changed since the first release on consoles. It's "nice" for some people that don't know what to buy (though they should just read the original review), but certain games were great once and now they think they aren't today. (That might do with their age, but still, to me the integrity of the reveiw depends upon it staying over time) I mean even though they might not be what they'd like now, how can you re-reveiw it, it just shows us that no score matters, the games will always change score over time. So no one should bother about scoring them in the first place. The system must be very faulty if the score changes. You know what I mean? They should just tell us if the game is still fun, and to go read the original review. Though I think I kind of understand why they do reveiw them. Oh well.

DSandWii

That just means that you want these graded on nostalgia and that's fine but it's also screwing over the consumer.

As for the part where you said if a score changes it's faulty? No

If a score changes it's because it's measured to the level of gaming today, not 20 years ago.

DSandWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DSandWii
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="DSandWii"]

Jaysonguy

That just means that you want these graded on nostalgia and that's fine but it's also screwing over the consumer.

If a score changes it's because it's measured to the level of gaming today, not 20 years ago.

Yeah I know, I read your post above after I posted mine. It's cool to be able to see both sets. Today's score and olden days score. Oh and it really only screws over the uneducated consumer. Well the new gamer consumer, new as in they don't know anything about the game from the past, so by going off of the old reveiw they may not like the game like you said.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy
Thank you for taking the time to read my view :)
Flamepheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Flamepheonix
Member since 2006 • 384 Posts
I dont really care. I dont think VC games should be reviewed
BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
There is more 7.5s then 6.5s ;), but 6.5 isn't that bad for $5-$10 games.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

I don't trust on any reviews for the VC games. chris3116

Yeah. If they were good back in the day you should know they'll still be good now just not as technically impresssive.

Nintendoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nintendoes
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="DSandWii"]

DSandWii

Yeah I know, I read your post above after I posted mine. It's cool to be able to see both sets. Today's score and olden days score. Oh and it really only screws over the uneducated consumer. Well the new gamer consumer, new as in they don't know anything about the game from the past, so by going off of the old reveiw they may not like the game like you said.

True, and another point is that if people were to just lower their standards just a bit, (by about 7 to 20 years of technology), there are some really great games that were considered some of the finest games when they were released, (like Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World, etc). Do realize that these were once actual games that would sell on retail for the same price and have as much depth as games today, and are not just some other simple arcade game on Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. Really, even by today's standards, some of these games still hold up and are great, and $5 or $10 for a 7.0 or 8.5 game is considered a bargain, but if you were to appreciate these games as they were several years ago, you could be buying and playing some of the greatest gaming experiences to this day for the price of a latte at Starbucks.

IceWarrior93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 IceWarrior93
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
Why do peope think the reviews are something to abide by? Just because the reviewer says it's not that good of game, doesn't mean you have to listen to it. Rayman Raving Rabbids got what like a 5 on the XBox 360, I rented it, and I loved it! It's all about the players opinion.
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts

GameSpot has no taste.

Super Metroid, 8.5? That's a sin.

hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

Dont use GS reviews. I use http://www.vc-reviews.com/

Great resource for Virtual Console games and reviews. They belong to an archive of a defunct british magazine that actually reviewed the games originally when they came out. a lot of the magazine reviews are scanned in and can be viewed on the gamespace of any VC game.

Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

[QUOTE="ciaran22"]Only go by the reviews on vc-reviews.com for Virtual Console Reviews and IGN for Wii reviews please.Jaysonguy

I don't agree, all those reviews are is fan service to make the people who owned the games before happy.

Gamespot is the only place that judges the games on how they hold up today. Not crafting their reviews so they're tame enough for buyers in years gone by.

If you spend today's money on these games then you judge them on today's scale. No one should give points for nostalgia.

I agree with Jaysonguy. I want to know how these games are right now because I'm going to play them right now. Besides we should know if the emulation is accurate and if the price is right for the game, not to mention that Gamespot didn't review games before the Playstation era. If I had a time machine I'd go compare games to others in that time period.

I disagree with Gamespot's score of Super Metriod (I would have given it a 9.0) but if I got upset every time Gamespot gave a game .5 less than I did, I'd be an idiot.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
i dont use any reviews cause most of them are over rated or underrated , halo for example i dont trust gamespots ratings, on that game i think it deserves an 8,7 or 9 ,0 (halo 1 and 2 respectively) then you got games like zelda tp and metroid that are underrated , both should at least have 9s
oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 oyvoyvoyv
Member since 2007 • 602 Posts

I never agree with VC scores on GS.

Paper Mario 9 - This didn't really deserve AAA

Ocarina of time 8,9 (WTF? They just didn't want to give a Zelda AAA?)

Super metroid 8,5 - This deserved AAA

And on real console

Wario ware 9 - Didn't reserve AAA

Twilight Princess - I can't see why this shouldn't be AAA

And BTW, it's not only on the Wii. Imo the Ps3 is getting pretty bad screwed too