The reason Wii games score low on GS.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 oyvoyvoyv
Member since 2007 • 602 Posts

Why does all Wii games score low on GS? Well here is my opinion why.

The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: recieved 7 in sound

Super Paper Mario recieved 7 in sound

Ocarina of time on VC recieved 8 in sound (which IMO has the best music ever)

Wario ware recieved 8 in sound (I haven't played it, but that was the lowest it got)

A link to the past (VC) recieved 7 in sound

Mercury Meltdown recieved 7 in sound (which was it's lowest, I haven't played it but the trailers seemed to have fine music by me)

Madden 07 recieved 7 in sound, while the X360 and Ps3 versions recieved 8, even though theyhad lower scores totally.

While games as Gears (10) Oblivion (10) Knights of nine (9, total of 8.3) and many other games on Ps3/X360 recieved high scores on sound, while almost none scored down in 7.

Is the reason the Wii scores low on GS that it uses low disk consuming sounds, which doesn't sound fully as good as the more disk consuming (I can't hear the difference, most can't but some) sound?

pigfish2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#2 pigfish2
Member since 2004 • 3819 Posts
i personally don't have a problem with the sound in the games but gs clearly do
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I guess its because Nintendo still uses MIDI instead of full orchestrated music -- personally, i can tell the difference between the two, and Orchestrated zelda music sounds awesomely better than the MIDI Nintendo uses, but really, i dont care much.
Conver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Conver
Member since 2003 • 3300 Posts
I've never had any problems with the sound in Wii games. Most of the music is actually memorable.
dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dragon7x2k
Member since 2007 • 3695 Posts
The Zelda TP music was great but yeah were MIDIs and when they finish there were a silent moment and start again, besides MIDIs doesnt have much quality in sound
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
I despise how cheap Nintendo are with sound. They kind of had to do it on the GameCube, because the low capacity of the disk couldn't accomodate fully orchestrated music. But now their on proper DVD's, there is simply no excuse. It's just disgusting cost-cutting. MIDI is what most virtual console games use and is pretty much unheard of on the other next-gen systems. Nintendo need to get with the times.
oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 oyvoyvoyv

I despise how cheap Nintendo are with sound. They kind of had to do it on the GameCube, because the low capacity of the disk couldn't accomodate fully orchestrated music. But now their on proper DVD's, there is simply no excuse. It's just disgusting cost-cutting. MIDI is what most virtual console games use and is pretty much unheard of on the other next-gen systems. Nintendo need to get with the times.manicfoot

So you hear a lot of difference? BecauseI found the sounds/music on TP much more enjoyable than gears sounds/music

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts

It's the graphics. No matter what they say, all PS3 and 360 lovers hate bad graphics. But God forbid some gamers don't have HDTVs!!

scream

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I dont care since GS isnt very credible for reviews IMO. I come here for news and community.
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
I don't mind the midi. But I'm more of an old school gamer, so that's probably why.
SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
I dont care about MIDI music, Twilight Princess soundtrack is one of the best i've ever heard.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I don't mind the midi. But I'm more of an old school gamer, so that's probably why.Zero_Space

Same for me.

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
I don't mind MIDI, but orchestrated music is waaay better. Just wait for Brawl, then the Wii will have some good sound.
jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts
its probably more to do with the lack of speech in most nintendo games
oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 oyvoyvoyv

I dont care about MIDI music, Twilight Princess soundtrack is one of the best i've ever heard. SuperMario_46

That's excactly what I thought!

black_steel_4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 black_steel_4u
Member since 2006 • 904 Posts

imo

figuring that the sound is the least important and relay there's nothing bad about the wii games but graphics ( yes i kno some of them are bad) if i was a reviewer i would take the points outtasound if i diddnt wanna give them good rankings. and the thing about tp is that if u guys dont remember that there was a big thing about loztp that link should talk. oooh and if u realy buy games only if they have good reviews from gamespot then your going ot be saving a lotta money becouse they dont give out a lot of good reviews. but that dosnt mean i dont like gamespot.

Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

imo

figuring that the sound is the least important and relay there's nothing bad about the wii games but graphics ( yes i kno some of them are bad) if i was a reviewer i would take the points outtasound if i diddnt wanna give them good rankings. and the thing about tp is that if u guys dont remember that there was a big thing about loztp that link should talk. oooh and if u realy buy games only if they have good reviews from gamespot then your going ot be saving a lotta money becouse they dont give out a lot of good reviews. but that dosnt mean i dont like gamespot.

black_steel_4u

Actually I'm glad they haven't given Link a voice over. After all these years it would just seem odd and out of place.

oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 oyvoyvoyv
[QUOTE="black_steel_4u"]

imo

Zero_Space

Actually I'm glad they haven't given Link a voice over. After all these years it would just seem odd and out of place.

Agreed

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Your theory makes perfect sense. But now GS is on that new reviewing system.
kfd_05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kfd_05
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

sound is not everything ! gameplay all that way !

digidrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 digidrive
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
[QUOTE="Zero_Space"][QUOTE="black_steel_4u"]

imo

oyvoyvoyv

Agreed

Yeah, besides, what language would they speak in Hyrule.

jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts

kfd_05

yes your right sound isnt everything in a game. but it can definitly add to a game, you only have to look at RE4, the sound is the best thing about that game, when you have it on mute its half as frightening.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]I despise how cheap Nintendo are with sound. They kind of had to do it on the GameCube, because the low capacity of the disk couldn't accomodate fully orchestrated music. But now their on proper DVD's, there is simply no excuse. It's just disgusting cost-cutting. MIDI is what most virtual console games use and is pretty much unheard of on the other next-gen systems. Nintendo need to get with the times.oyvoyvoyv

So you hear a lot of difference? BecauseI found the sounds/music on TP much more enjoyable than gears sounds/music

I do hear a lot of difference. If the music is beautifully arranged, like in TP then MIDI music can still be good, but it would be MUCH better orceshtrated. The music in Gears is some of the worst game music I've ever heard IMO, which is probably why you don't like it :P
oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 oyvoyvoyv
[QUOTE="oyvoyvoyv"]

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]I despise how cheap Nintendo are with sound. They kind of had to do it on the GameCube, because the low capacity of the disk couldn't accomodate fully orchestrated music. But now their on proper DVD's, there is simply no excuse. It's just disgusting cost-cutting. MIDI is what most virtual console games use and is pretty much unheard of on the other next-gen systems. Nintendo need to get with the times.manicfoot

I do hear a lot of difference. If the music is beautifully arranged, like in TP then MIDI music can still be good, but it would be MUCH better orceshtrated. The music in Gears is some of the worst game music I've ever heard IMO, which is probably why you don't like it :P

Okay :) Glad to hear it's not that i'm deaf :P

[QUOTE="kfd_05"]

jack_michael

yes your right sound isnt everything in a game. but it can definitly add to a game, you only have to look at RE4, the sound is the best thing about that game, when you have it on mute its half as frightening.

That's why I have it on mute :P

movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts

Which one sounds better?

MIDI? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslj06K-Nlw

Ocrastaited (sp) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd-jThRvlYI

Quite a difference.

pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
lmao...i thought gamespot doenst really like nintendo..
voodoo_goodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 voodoo_goodoo
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts
well if you push the traumatic experience from the back of your head u'll remember the c-di games where link did have a voice (shutters)
arcelice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 arcelice
Member since 2007 • 702 Posts
Wow ur right. Personally, I don't think sound matters that much. If the sound is good, then I think it makes the game more immersive, but if it's not amazing, I don't see a problem with it.
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
[QUOTE="kfd_05"]

jack_michael

I have it on mute for that game too and not only that, I put on some loud music while playing RE4! Imagine playing that game while listening to Linkin Park!
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
lmao...i thought gamespot doenst really like nintendo..pro_gamer12345
They really don't like nintendo. They find any little excuse to give nintendo's best games a 7 while games like Halo and GTA get a 9. I won't be surprised if GS gives Mario Galaxy and Brawl a score lower than what they gave Zelda: TP.
Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
i don't care about midi but it affects my mood, i mean when i play games with good quality music i feel more relaxed
KenpachiSama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 KenpachiSama
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts
Gamespot just has the hots for XBox 360, that's all. They won't give good reviews for anything but that system. At least, that's what I've noticed since all new-generation consoles have been out.
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
I don't mind midis. They are usually that good. But I hope the next Zelda is full orchestrated. Because when I watch something like Star Wars, I envy it. :P
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
I don't care about what GS says about the music. If it's Midi and as good as
Prime 3's I'm fine.
CLeRKSfan4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 CLeRKSfan4life
Member since 2004 • 2606 Posts
[QUOTE="jack_michael"][QUOTE="kfd_05"]

nelfer320

I have it on mute for that game too and not only that, I put on some loud music while playing RE4! Imagine playing that game while listening to Linkin Park!

I'd rather imagine playing the game while listening to good music. Linkin Park suck much ass! Pop-Nu-Metal = TEH PHAIL

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts
Your reasoning is how you say, stupid.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i don't care if the music is MIDI or orchestrated.
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#38 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
i don't have any problem with the Wii's sound. i really can't make a direct comparison between the Wii and 360's sound, though,because my 360 is hooked up to surround sound while my Wii is sadly not.
Footballteen58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Footballteen58
Member since 2005 • 802 Posts

NOOOOOO

We all know that if a reviewer scores an anticipated wii game above 8.9 Jeff Gerstman will insanely mutilate said reviewer...

DiscoBurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DiscoBurn
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts

Just because a game is MIDI doesn't mean that it sounds like it did on SNES. It's come a long, long way, and the difference is getting harder and harder to tell. However, I do agree that fully orchestrated music is a lot better, but it's not like we're listening to little beeps and boops like we used to.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11995 Posts
I agree with GS score so far.
oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 oyvoyvoyv

Which one sounds better?

MIDI? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslj06K-Nlw

Ocrastaited (sp) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd-jThRvlYI

Quite a difference.

movin_target

Really? It's not the same song, but I can't say which I prefer :(

WARNING: SPOILERS IN LINK

And listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZQN1x-TZI&mode=related&search

That doesn't sound like Zelda music AT ALL!

oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 oyvoyvoyv

Tell me the music in my last posted link is better than this.

Start 2 minutes into it on hyrule field theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZhSluYwJr8

And on 9 minutes it has an orchestrated. That's the worst one of them all. (But it's still better than most games)

killerkop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 killerkop
Member since 2004 • 2187 Posts

Id say its more gamespot complaining the the Wii uses Pro Logic or whatever and isn't true 5.1 or whatever.

These are like college kids who never have to leave college phase, thats thier career. They have awesome setups with HDTV's and cutting edge surround sound systems. I'm sure they can notice a different, but the fact that all Wii games will score

sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 sonic_rusher
Member since 2007 • 2185 Posts

Its because they factor in the speaker on the Wiimote. Games are getting better at the speaker and evs have to use better quality sound on the games.

BTW nice noticing that Topic starter.

Jonny_ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 Jonny_ramone
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
[QUOTE="Zero_Space"][QUOTE="black_steel_4u"]

imo

oyvoyvoyv

Agreed

indeed