The one dissappointment I had with MP3: Corruption...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

Okay, so remember how in the ship how there are things you can turn on like thrusters, a blast shield, a combat-targeting HUD, and so forth? Why didn't we ever get to use this stuff? It's not like there weren't opportunities. We often had to destroy giant shields to call in air-strikes on bases, but I would've rather gone back to my ship and done it myself then look at it through a window. You're also part of that space armada near before the last boss; why not let us fight then, even just a little?

Was anyone else disappointed they couldn't control the ship?

Again, this is the ONLY complaint I raise against the game.

KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts
[QUOTE="Kojo222"]

Okay, so remember how in the ship how there are things you can turn on like thrusters, a blast shield, a combat-targeting HUD, and so forth? Why didn't we ever get to use this stuff? It's not like there weren't opportunities. We often had to destroy giant shields to call in air-strikes on bases, but I would've rather gone back to my ship and done it myself then look at it through a window. You're also part of that space armada near before the last boss; why not let us fight then, even just a little?

My complaint was it way too linear.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

I was more disappointed in some of the elements while playing as Samus in the levels rather the ship elements.The ship was kind of underutilized in a few ways.Like ship missles were nearly useless except for a couple places.

Avatar image for Clean_Water_Mmm
Clean_Water_Mmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Clean_Water_Mmm
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts

Kojo222
Yeah I know what you mean. I also think they should have kept the transition between planets in first person - it would have been A LOT more immersive.
Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I was disappointed about the lack of use of the ship's features. It seemed -no, WAS-rather pointless. You literally used the thrustersonce.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I was disappointed at the fact that after fans said the backtracking at the end of the previous two games wasn't a blast, they put it in the third one. Completely turned me away from the game. Haven't touched it in a year and a half.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

I swear I remember reading that Retro didn't have the time (they would've liked to have) to actually finish what they were trying to do with the ship.

Either way,

I wish they would've pushed the Wii's graphics to the max.I still think it could've looked better.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I just started playing through this game again yesterday, and I'm noticing some presentational things that I never did before. Some aspects of the first segment of the game are great. The story is told mostly through stuff happening around you while you're in control, and you're not really sure what it's all about yet, so it really feels immersive. But then this great story-telling is broken up by forced cutscenes where you go out of Samus's perspective and into a neutral camera shot. There have been several points already where I wonder why I wasn't allowed to keep control of Samus while things happen around her.

So I agree. It's a great game, but there was potential for it to be even better. The stuff was already there, but it wasn't used to its fullest.

alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

I was more disappointed in some of the elements while playing as Samus in the levels rather the ship elements.The ship was kind of underutilized in a few ways.Like ship missles were nearly useless except for a couple places.

VGobbsesser
well besides blowing up certain objects,did u know it can do bomb runs? i found out by accident trying to scan something,and my ship came in and dropped bombs on the enemies. just select the command visor when outside and facing a group of enemies and hold Z,the ship will come in and BOOM,its looks cool,just remember to get out the way,lol im not sure if it works EVERYWHERE outdoors though
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I was disappointed at the fact that after fans said the backtracking at the end of the previous two games wasn't a blast, they put it in the third one. Completely turned me away from the game. Haven't touched it in a year and a half.ZumaJones07
Every Metroid game has backtracking. I find it gratifying to pass through areas where the enemies gave me trouble, but now since Samus has more abilities, I can totally slaughter them.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
My complaint is it's too easy on the default setting. Other than that, great game, the ship controls TC mentioned seem like a stub of a much larger feature: probably some kind of space dogfight had been planned, but was scratched for some reason.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i wasnt disappointed, but i was curious regarding one fact: they made link right-handed so you would use the wiimote as the sword, but on the ship (back to metroid prime :P) and during some puzzles, you'd control samus left hand with the wiimote. was mirroring TP really necessary?
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

well besides blowing up certain objects,did u know it can do bomb runs? i found out by accident trying to scan something,and my ship came in and dropped bombs on the enemies. just select the command visor when outside and facing a group of enemies and hold Z,the ship will come in and BOOM,its looks cool,just remember to get out the way,lol im not sure if it works EVERYWHERE outdoors thoughalex6792

I did discover that,but it wasn't really that useful.Most of the time,you could go into Hyper Mode quickly,or simply ignore any enemies and run to the door.

linkoot98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 linkoot98
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts
My main complaint was the fact that Samus didn't feel as solitary and alone as in the previous prime game. I also would have liked less planets...maybe combine some of the areas into a single planet. I think it would have helped the game feel less linear...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
My main complaint was the fact that Samus didn't feel as solitary and alone as in the previous prime game. I also would have liked less planets...maybe combine some of the areas into a single planet. I think it would have helped the game feel less linear...linkoot98
i liked multiple planets, and LOVED the company. i have a friend that complains of metroid's loneliness... and felt prime 3 is lonely too.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

My only real problem was the AI, it goes from average to just downright stupid in a lot of places

Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts
My biggest complaint for the ENTIRE prime series is that the games strive to be epic, but they miss by a longshot. Good games however.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34724 Posts

I was dissapointed by the environments and lack of exploration. Great game, but Prime 1 and 2 are better.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

My complaint was it way too linear.KingBowser91
You know a game with a story has to have some sort of order to it right, all games are linear, but this game allowed you to bounce around a number of places which kept you from just going in one straight direction. It was far less linear than most games, but of course had the necessary linear elements. And no I was not disappointed by the fact that we didn't use the ship, would it have really added to the experience by being in the ship when it blew something as opposed to outside of it? I don't think so. The ship to me really seemed unnecessary it was just sort of thrown in there to acknowledge that she had it and in reality a person in that situation would use it.

Jordan I guess you mean sort of like what happens in COD, but the reason I don't think that was as necessary here is because these were narrative moments and not set pieces like what you find in COD. The narrative for COD happens between missions and it can do that because it is mission based unlike Metroid where it is one continuous adventure. And when those set pieces arise your not really in control, your just there. That doesn't really work quite as well in an adventure game.

jmizzal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jmizzal
Member since 2005 • 320 Posts
My biggest complaint for the ENTIRE prime series is that the games strive to be epic, but they miss by a longshot. Good games however.Arkk_Angel
most people will disagre with you on this, and so will I, but thats your opinon.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
it ended one of the best series of this and last gen...
Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts
To be honest, I didn't mind that you couldn't control the ship or that it was underused; after all, the game is suppose to be about Samus, not her ship. :P My biggest issue with Corruption was the Friend Credit system; if you don't have anyone with Corruption on your Friend list to exchange friend vouchers with or you don't even have online connectivity, you're pretty much stuck with locked content. I get tired of developers doing that.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JordanElek

Jordan I guess you mean sort of like what happens in COD, but the reason I don't think that was as necessary here is because these were narrative moments and not set pieces like what you find in COD. The narrative for COD happens between missions and it can do that because it is mission based unlike Metroid where it is one continuous adventure. And when those set pieces arise your not really in control, your just there. That doesn't really work quite as well in an adventure game.Sepewrath
I was actually thinking more along the lines of the Half-life games, which have zero cutscenes whatsoever but are still very cinematic. The first sequence of MP3 feels very Half-lifeish, but then it kind of falls apart and comes back together occasionally. I think it would've been possible to make MP3 without any cutscenes at all, and it would've made it more immersive and feel more like one continuous adventure. We don't really get any privileged information that Samus doesn't know (if I remember right), so it's possible. And most of the cutscenes could've been done real-time anyway. Even some of the scenes, like the first biological "meteor" that heads toward the planet, could've been integrated into Samus's visor as a holograph or picture-in-picture. That would've been great.

As it is, I think the game does an adequate job, and I'm not really complaining. But there was potential that wasn't reached. Maybe the next Metroid game will have a better presentation. Other M doesn't look like it'll be possible to do a "no cutscene" approach, but it could still work out if the cutscenes are handled properly.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sepewrath
If you played Team Ninja games than you know that the cinema scenes and the gameplay are two different beast, but of course they aren't exactly known for thier story telling abilities, perhaps with Nintendo involved that wont be the case and it will be a more seamless approach. And it still sounds like you are talking about set pieces like the meteor example sounds alot like the nuke going off in COD4. That wouldn't have been a bad move but like I said in the first post I can understand why they went wth the cinema scenes. I mean look at the interaction with the hunters going into and out of the battles, you can't do that in set pieces.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JordanElek

If you played Team Ninja games than you know that the cinema scenes and the gameplay are two different beast, but of course they aren't exactly known for thier story telling abilities, perhaps with Nintendo involved that wont be the case and it will be a more seamless approach. And it still sounds like you are talking about set pieces like the meteor example sounds alot like the nuke going off in COD4. That wouldn't have been a bad move but like I said in the first post I can understand why they went wth the cinema scenes. I mean look at the interaction with the hunters going into and out of the battles, you can't do that in set pieces. Sepewrath
I haven't played CoD4, so I don't really know what you mean. The simplest way to describe what I would've liked to see is that the player never loses control of Samus for any reason at any time. Everything happens in real-time, with no abrupt cinema scenes or camera changes. For example, when the ice hunter comes skating through the air to save the day on the bridge near the beginning, that could've been done real-time. When the giant robot guy is fighting another giant robot in a hallway, it could've been done without a cinema break. It doesn't change anything about what's happening, but it keeps the immersion factor way up.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sepewrath
Yeah its like that in COD, your character never speaks and the camera angle never changes from your FP persepctive. When things happen like a building blows up or a tunnels collapses or a missle is shot in the air, you see it all just as if you were playing the game. However you don't really have control in most of these instances, your simply observing. They could have done that with some of the scenes in Corruption but not all of them and I think going back and forth would have been really inconsistent so they went with the one that works for all scenes. Yeah some of the transitions from gameplay to cinematics were jarring,(someting Team Ninja makes a habit of) but I don't recall Retro making any real cinematic games so I guess its ok for a first shot at it.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JordanElek

Ah okay, I understand about CoD4. That kind of thing is just as jarring as changing the camera angle. Have you played Half-life before? It's extremely creative when it comes to keeping everything consistent and immersive. Half-life 2 is one of my favorite games ever, mostly due to some insanely awesome moments where I just panicked and had no idea what to do as things happened around me, while other developers would've taken the easy way out and made totally scripted cutscenes out of them. The thing I'm saying could be better about Corruption is that it isn't consistent. Some of it is handled like it is in Half-life, where stuff happens while you still have control, while other stuff happens in separate cutscenes.

Like you said, it's good enough for Retro since they never made cinematic games and MP3 was the first really cinematic MP game for them. But it's always just a little disappointing to see how things could've been better.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#28 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Some sections were very linear, not as much backtracking as you would expect from a Metroid game and too many people helping you. Still the game was awesome. :D

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#29 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

Kojo222

That's my only complaint as well. I would often just go into the ship and start pushing buttons and pulling thrustersjust for the fun of it. That's a real shame they didn't put that to good use.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I swear I remember reading that Retro didn't have the time (they would've liked to have) to actually finish what they were trying to do with the ship.

Either way,

I wish they would've pushed the Wii's graphics to the max.I still think it could've looked better.

danger_ranger95

Your expectations are way too high. MP3 is considered to be one of if not the best looking game for the Wii. MP3 graphics makes other Wii games look bad IMO.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#31 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]I was disappointed at the fact that after fans said the backtracking at the end of the previous two games wasn't a blast, they put it in the third one. Completely turned me away from the game. Haven't touched it in a year and a half.aransom

Every Metroid game has backtracking. I find it gratifying to pass through areas where the enemies gave me trouble, but now since Samus has more abilities, I can totally slaughter them.

That's right. When you return somewhere, you feel all powered-up and mean. Link gets like that too.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I was dissappointed by how linear it was compared to the other two.