The Official Scribblenauts Appreciation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Crackerdamus
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

This game is going to be amazing. It's very clever and truly inspires the creativity and imagination of those who play it. It will go down as one of the best games ever!
If you haven't heard of it (shame on you) read up on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribblenauts

When you're done with that watch this so you can get an idea of some of the crazy stuff you can conjure up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEUbtgpIgo

So, yeah, this is a thread for you all to leave your comments and to discuss the awesomeness of this game. Also, if any of you are feeling creative, you can make "Scribble-fied" versions of your favorite pop culture icons and post them on here...

Here's my Scribblenauts version of Barrack Obama:

Scribblenauts Version Of Barrack Obama

Dealge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dealge
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts

All hail Scribblenauts, the greatest game ever, and the greatest thing since sliced bread :D

Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crackerdamus

All hail Scribblenauts, the greatest game ever, and the greatest thing since sliced bread :D

Dealge

indeed

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

The game hasn't even been released yet! For all you know the dictionary sucks. It possible those people just happened to guess the only things on there! you are jynxing the game! Btw...Obama doesnt work.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

The game hasn't even been released yet!

AmayaPapaya

Indeed. Seriously, the game looks great, but all this hype isn't needed.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#6 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

The game hasn't even been released yet! For all you know the dictionary sucks. It possible those people just happened to guess the only things on there! you are jynxing the game! Btw...Obama doesnt work.

AmayaPapaya
Longcat works and Ceiling Cat works. :D
Chubah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chubah
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Dealge

Overhyped much?

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

[QUOTE="Dealge"]

Chubah

Overhyped much?

Underhyped actually.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

It came out already?

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

awssk8er716

I beg to differ. All the sites I've been to love it. It one TWO E3 Game Of The Show Awards. When was the last time a handheld game did that? I think it does deserve the hype and it will be an amazing game. So there.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Give this to the game developers, will ya? XD

Out on september 15, ppl.

wiidskirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiidskirby
Member since 2008 • 1317 Posts

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

destroyerHHH

I beg to differ. All the sites I've been to love it. It one TWO E3 Game Of The Show Awards. When was the last time a handheld game did that? I think it does deserve the hype and it will be an amazing game. So there.

I believe it actually won three Best of Show awards. It definitely looks amazing, but overhyping games destroys the game, as it can never be as great as one anticipates.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

[QUOTE="destroyerHHH"][QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

wiidskirby

I believe it actually won three Best of Show awards. It definitely looks amazing, but overhyping games destroys the game, as it can never be as great as one anticipates.

Not really I very rarely ever hype games but the games that I do hype I have always enjoyed a lot. You just need to have realistic expectations and hype games that you know you will like.
Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Crackerdamus

do you guys like my Obama Scribblenauts character?

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

Crackerdamus
Its cool
wiidskirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiidskirby
Member since 2008 • 1317 Posts

[QUOTE="wiidskirby"]

[QUOTE="destroyerHHH"] I beg to differ. All the sites I've been to love it. It one TWO E3 Game Of The Show Awards. When was the last time a handheld game did that? I think it does deserve the hype and it will be an amazing game. So there.craigalan23

Not really I very rarely ever hype games but the games that I do hype I have always enjoyed a lot. You just need to have realistic expectations and hype games that you know you will like.

I'm not saying not to hype games, because it's hard not to hype games, but if you overhype games (like this is, but deservedly so), you will have such a great picture in your mind, and it will have to be a great game for it to live up to that. I hyped Brawl, I hype no more (good game, but I hyped it too much).

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="Crackerdamus"]

TriniPlayer

Its cool

Yeah...too bad he is not in the Dictionary thing.

Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crackerdamus

[QUOTE="TriniPlayer"][QUOTE="Crackerdamus"]

AmayaPapaya

Its cool

Yeah...too bad he is not in the Dictionary thing.

they should use mine haha

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts
I don't understand the hype of Scribblenauts, it doesn't look interesting to me.
freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

I don't understand the hype of Scribblenauts, it doesn't look interesting to me. Yandere

Sandbox games are only as interesting as the ones who play them.

Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Crackerdamus

[QUOTE="Yandere"]I don't understand the hype of Scribblenauts, it doesn't look interesting to me. freakbabyblues

pwned

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

I pre-ordered my copy today :)

OnionTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OnionTree
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

[QUOTE="freakbabyblues"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]I don't understand the hype of Scribblenauts, it doesn't look interesting to me. Crackerdamus

pwned

I second that, my man. I have a passion for sandbox games, anything that lets me express my creativity. I always have. One of my first loves in gaming was a little masterpiece from Toshio Iwai called SimTunes (It's funny. I've been submitting that game to GameFAQs since I joined with my first account, and yet there's still no board. What a shoddy site.). I got Amazing Island when I saw it in my friend's magazine, and later on I got the even better Graffiti Kingdom. Unfortunately, the gameplay for those two games is pretty subpar, but the latter has a surprisingly great story, cast of characters, an voice acting.

A lot of my favorite games cast you into them and let you do whatever the hell you want. The novelty gets a little old in GTA, but the first time I played Vice City I explored it for hours before even doing my first mission.

To the creator of the topic, I thank you. To be honest, I kept hearing about this game, looking at the screenshots, and not really bothering to look things up. I assumed it was some sort of Drawn To Life sort of thing, and it didn't exactly scream "I'm not shovelware" from the stills, so I wasn't nearly interested enough. After I looked at that video, and understood this game was about solving puzzles by writing the name of anything you want to conjure up, and that the game supposedly had a formidable dictionary, and that you can have god fight THE KRAKEN (YAR! NONE HAVE SEEN THE KRAKEN AND LIVED TO TELL THE TALE! I love saying that every time I talk about the Kraken, sorry. XD), and then... internet memes. Well, it got my imagination going, and in the last five minutes, I placed my pre-order! Haha!

Ah, I'm not interested in any celebrities (Unless it's me. I should show up if you write my name. Or at least, an oniontree should show up if you write my username), but I have a few ideas for the first things I'll try to summon. First I'd make a skunk, then I'd try villain\railroad\train\damsel for laughs, and then I'd see if "Belmont" did anything. They might be able to reference that one without any copyright trouble. :)

menosdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 menosdemon
Member since 2009 • 518 Posts

i had no idea that it came out already.

giga_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 giga_yeti
Member since 2008 • 313 Posts

i had no idea that it came out already.

menosdemon
It didnt come out. It comes out September 15th. and BTW, its going to be EPIC!!!
Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crackerdamus

To the creator of the topic, I thank you. To be honest, I kept hearing about this game, looking at the screenshots, and not really bothering to look things up. I assumed it was some sort of Drawn To Life sort of thing, and it didn't exactly scream "I'm not shovelware" from the stills, so I wasn't nearly interested enough. After I looked at that video, and understood this game was about solving puzzles by writing the name of anything you want to conjure up, and that the game supposedly had a formidable dictionary, and that you can have god fight THE KRAKEN (YAR! NONE HAVE SEEN THE KRAKEN AND LIVED TO TELL THE TALE! I love saying that every time I talk about the Kraken, sorry. XD), and then... internet memes. Well, it got my imagination going, and in the last five minutes, I placed my pre-order! Haha!

I'm glad to hear that this thread helped convince you of the greatness of this game. It really is inspiring what the game allows the player to do.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Be warned. Hype leads to disappointment. But the wi-fi feature sounds awesome.
Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts
I don't understand the hype of Scribblenauts, it doesn't look interesting to me. Yandere
Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. What kind of person are you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
OnionTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 OnionTree
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

Be warned. Hype leads to disappointment. But the wi-fi feature sounds awesome.scar-hawk

That is true, but I think this could be an exception. The creators have proven they are surprisingly competent. The puzzles, level design, and maybe some of the interaction may wind up below some people's expectations, but what there is, what definitely is there, has been shown, and works, makes this a game that will easily be great and highly recommendable.

I saw in one interview that, apparently, a team of people spent six months with their jobs solely dedicated to researching everything they can, adding it to the game, and going on like this for hours every day. Think about that. Aside from copyrights, vulgarity, and overly-specific things (like "legless styrofoam centaur", though I'm hoping you can make a "converter machine" for converting objects into other objects [i.e. apple converter machine]), it'll most likely work in this game. Any common animal, food, tool, profession, weapon, furniture, etc will probably work. They spent that much time constantly adding new things and going out of their way to find weird stuff, and more than likely cleaned out the biggest dictionary they could find (which may very well include Wiktionary) from A to Z.

I am sure you will be hard-pressed, I mean seriously hard-pressed to find something that doesn't work. It seems the tools they created allowed them to create these objects and their uses, relationships, physics, and whathaveyou with significant enough ease for them to fit all this stuff into the game and do it all without spending years upon years doing so.

Just the sandbox aspect of this game may very well be the greatest sandbox experience in gaming history. Likely any creature capable of holding tools will be able to use any of the tools you can make. They'll be able to ride anything you make. You can expose them to quicksand, goo, water, lava, ice, whatever.

Take this situation into consideration. I'll probably be able to amuse myself for quite a while dropping everything I can think of into an antlion's den through a convoluted system of conveyor belts and springs, and then kill the poor fattened thing with a cement truck.

Let's see. Cthulu and Longcat are in there, I'm pretty sure we'll have antlions, since they're real, in the dictionary, and appear regularly in games (Simant, Final Fantasy, Sonic, and Alex Kidd from memory). They've surely got a shrinkray in there, so they probably have some kind of growthray, so the antlion can be big enough to do this. Conveyor belts and springs are going to be there, I wouldn't doubt that for a second, give these guys some credit. Cement trucks are also very common, so these will surely be there, and cement would have the property of both hardening and probably killing virtually any living thing trapped inside.

I'm going to estimate there is at least a 90% chance that my idea would work.

I think we'll rarely find disappointment in the limitations, and the people who find these limitations the most are probably going to be the people who dedicate themselves to stumping the game as much as possible. We don't know exactly how the game will play, we don't know how good the overall soundtrack will be, and maybe the object relationships will even have some instances that simply don't work as intended. However, unlike some ambitious projects we've actually seen quite a good amount of proof of concept.

I pre-ordered this game. I'm fully confident I'll fall in love with it. These kind of outstanding toys, that grant you so much freedom and possibilities, and challenge your imagination, I've never been disappointed in. I have to say, and I don't say this lightly, that if there are truly "tens of thousands of objects" and so many different categories and properties so meticulously designed (all wood burns is general, villain turns into werewolf in the full moon is very specific) that there are surely millions of situations the developers haven't even tried that will probably all work, that I believe this may very well be the best game I will have ever played, in my twenty years of gaming and many thousands of games played.

But, don't go deliberately hyping yourself up. Don't even go writing and looking for ideas. Just pre-order the game, purge any thoughts about it from your mind until it's out, immerse yourself in it when you have it, and just let your creative juices flow. You'll find the most pleasure from coming up with concepts on your own and being delighted at seeing them in action. This could very well be the most ambitious game ever made, and may be the first game to succeed in it's goals to such a satisfactory degree. Don't worry about the price or the reviews. You already know there's so much that must be here, that it's worth $30 just to enjoy the journey of discovering every object at your disposal, and even this daunting task is infinitessimally smaller than the list of interactions you can create. If your reading this and don't own a DS, within the next two months you may very well find yourself with a DS, if only for this one game. This could be gaming history in the making, and one of the biggest games of all time in a cartridge the size of a Cheez-It. It's so crazy. If Willy Wonka was to make a video game, it'd probably be a little like this.

I'm willing to bet, from the good faith that any game that incorporates memes must have some guys with a healthy sense of humor, that there will be some easter eggs here. For example, putting a developer's name may have unexpected results. Putting in "5TH Cell" could trigger a hidden minigame, play a small video of the members of 5TH Cell doing something silly, or perhaps summon some kind of joke creature made up by the team. Typing in various words and phrases that wouldn't be used for anything could have special results. For example, putting in "dullard" could display a joke message saying "Blood Mode On" as a nod to the infamous Mortal Kombat code (it wouldn't actually do anything, though), putting in "antiquing" could result in a massive explosion as a Futurama reference (Bender's least used word), and even inside jokes and made-up words could be used in a password fashion to hide a handful of little secrets in there. I may be wrong, but as busy as they've been I'm sure we'll find at least one easter egg that does something unexpected, this game could easily hide a number of secrets that would be well hidden in a game like this. ;)

I've just been looking this game up recently. I'm not sure what the wi-fi feature is, exactly. As far as I can seem to find, you can share levels through the level editor. I don't know about online play, but I do know one thing. Online or locally, hopefully this game has multiplayer. I don't think it would be too complicated to implement. Something as simple as pure sandbox with multiple people would be great. It probably wouldn't be single-card, as if that matters, but simply being able to play with a friend, conjuring up whatever we want in the environment simultaneously, would be epic to say the least. Even if it's thrown in last minute and somewhat glitchy or flawed (for example, when a time machine is used, the game could freeze from two environments attempting to coexist for the two players, or the other players are forced to join the time-traveller automatically to cover up the lack of implementation for players to be in separate environments), please, for the love of all that is good, just put it in there, hide it with a code if you have to, just include it whether you can finish it or not! X_X

I suppose it's possible to overhype yourself on this game and be disappointed. I don't think I've blown things out of proportion enough for me to ever be disappointed myself. You guys, you can all look forward to this game. Don't go out of your way, thinking the game is truly infinite by definition and could never have any limits, and that it'll bring world peace and give you superpowers. If you wind up disappointed in some way, you'll probably still like or love this game. If you can bring yourself to hate it, well, I'm afraid I don't know what to tell you. Does this really look like a game you're going to hate?

menosdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 menosdemon

how do you appreciate a game that isn't out yet?

ps. the wall of text above this message is more than i read in a year. beware

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

menosdemon
Its called hype.
menosdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 menosdemon

[QUOTE="menosdemon"]

meiaman

Its called hype.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

[QUOTE="meiaman"][QUOTE="menosdemon"]

menosdemon

Its called hype.

Previews, developer interviews, screenshots, vids, and articles from those who have played the game who could do nothing but sing it's praises. It's also won multiple Game of the Show Awards at E3.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts

[QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Be warned. Hype leads to disappointment. But the wi-fi feature sounds awesome.OnionTree

That is true, but I think this could be an exception. The creators have proven they are surprisingly competent. The puzzles, level design, and maybe some of the interaction may wind up below some people's expectations, but what there is, what definitely is there, has been shown, and works, makes this a game that will easily be great and highly recommendable.

I saw in one interview that, apparently, a team of people spent six months with their jobs solely dedicated to researching everything they can, adding it to the game, and going on like this for hours every day. Think about that. Aside from copyrights, vulgarity, and overly-specific things (like "legless styrofoam centaur", though I'm hoping you can make a "converter machine" for converting objects into other objects [i.e. apple converter machine]), it'll most likely work in this game. Any common animal, food, tool, profession, weapon, furniture, etc will probably work. They spent that much time constantly adding new things and going out of their way to find weird stuff, and more than likely cleaned out the biggest dictionary they could find (which may very well include Wiktionary) from A to Z.

I am sure you will be hard-pressed, I mean seriously hard-pressed to find something that doesn't work. It seems the tools they created allowed them to create these objects and their uses, relationships, physics, and whathaveyou with significant enough ease for them to fit all this stuff into the game and do it all without spending years upon years doing so.

Just the sandbox aspect of this game may very well be the greatest sandbox experience in gaming history. Likely any creature capable of holding tools will be able to use any of the tools you can make. They'll be able to ride anything you make. You can expose them to quicksand, goo, water, lava, ice, whatever.

Take this situation into consideration. I'll probably be able to amuse myself for quite a while dropping everything I can think of into an antlion's den through a convoluted system of conveyor belts and springs, and then kill the poor fattened thing with a cement truck.

Let's see. Cthulu and Longcat are in there, I'm pretty sure we'll have antlions, since they're real, in the dictionary, and appear regularly in games (Simant, Final Fantasy, Sonic, and Alex Kidd from memory). They've surely got a shrinkray in there, so they probably have some kind of growthray, so the antlion can be big enough to do this. Conveyor belts and springs are going to be there, I wouldn't doubt that for a second, give these guys some credit. Cement trucks are also very common, so these will surely be there, and cement would have the property of both hardening and probably killing virtually any living thing trapped inside.

I think we'll rarely find disappointment in the limitations, and the people who find these limitations the most are probably going to be the people who dedicate themselves to stumping the game as much as possible. We don't know exactly how the game will play, we don't know how good the overall soundtrack will be, and maybe the object relationships will even have some instances that simply don't work as intended. However, unlike some ambitious projects we've actually seen quite a good amount of proof of concept.

I pre-ordered this game. I'm fully confident I'll fall in love with it. These kind of outstanding toys, that grant you so much freedom and possibilities, and challenge your imagination, I've never been disappointed in. I have to say, and I don't say this lightly, that if there are truly "tens of thousands of objects" and so many different categories and properties so meticulously designed (all wood burns is general, villain turns into werewolf in the full moon is very specific) that there are surely millions of situations the developers haven't even tried that will probably all work, that I believe this may very well be the best game I will have ever played, in my twenty years of gaming and many thousands of games played.

But, don't go deliberately hyping yourself up. Don't even go writing and looking for ideas. Just pre-order the game, purge any thoughts about it from your mind until it's out, immerse yourself in it when you have it, and just let your creative juices flow. You'll find the most pleasure from coming up with concepts on your own and being delighted at seeing them in action. This could very well be the most ambitious game ever made, and may be the first game to succeed in it's goals to such a satisfactory degree. Don't worry about the price or the reviews. You already know there's so much that must be here, that it's worth $30 just to enjoy the journey of discovering every object at your disposal, and even this daunting task is infinitessimally smaller than the list of interactions you can create. If your reading this and don't own a DS, within the next two months you may very well find yourself with a DS, if only for this one game. This could be gaming history in the making, and one of the biggest games of all time in a cartridge the size of a Cheez-It. It's so crazy. If Willy Wonka was to make a video game, it'd probably be a little like this.

I'm willing to bet, from the good faith that any game that incorporates memes must have some guys with a healthy sense of humor, that there will be some easter eggs here. For example, putting a developer's name may have unexpected results. Putting in "5TH Cell" could trigger a hidden minigame, play a small video of the members of 5TH Cell doing something silly, or perhaps summon some kind of joke creature made up by the team. Typing in various words and phrases that wouldn't be used for anything could have special results. For example, putting in "dullard" could display a joke message saying "Blood Mode On" as a nod to the infamous Mortal Kombat code (it wouldn't actually do anything, though), putting in "antiquing" could result in a massive explosion as a Futurama reference (Bender's least used word), and even inside jokes and made-up words could be used in a password fashion to hide a handful of little secrets in there. I may be wrong, but as busy as they've been I'm sure we'll find at least one easter egg that does something unexpected, this game could easily hide a number of secrets that would be well hidden in a game like this. ;)

I've just been looking this game up recently. I'm not sure what the wi-fi feature is, exactly. As far as I can seem to find, you can share levels through the level editor. I don't know about online play, but I do know one thing. Online or locally, hopefully this game has multiplayer. I don't think it would be too complicated to implement. Something as simple as pure sandbox with multiple people would be great. It probably wouldn't be single-card, as if that matters, but simply being able to play with a friend, conjuring up whatever we want in the environment simultaneously, would be epic to say the least. Even if it's thrown in last minute and somewhat glitchy or flawed (for example, when a time machine is used, the game could freeze from two environments attempting to coexist for the two players, or the other players are forced to join the time-traveller automatically to cover up the lack of implementation for players to be in separate environments), please, for the love of all that is good, just put it in there, hide it with a code if you have to, just include it whether you can finish it or not! X_X

I suppose it's possible to overhype yourself on this game and be disappointed. I don't think I've blown things out of proportion enough for me to ever be disappointed myself. You guys, you can all look forward to this game. Don't go out of your way, thinking the game is truly infinite by definition and could never have any limits, and that it'll bring world peace and give you superpowers. If you wind up disappointed in some way, you'll probably still like or love this game. If you can bring yourself to hate it, well, I'm afraid I don't know what to tell you. Does this really look like a game you're going to hate?

Nice reply. I read through it all. :P I didn't know those 2 small statements I made could generate such a massive post.
Crackerdamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Crackerdamus

[QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Be warned. Hype leads to disappointment. But the wi-fi feature sounds awesome.OnionTree

very nice post. i appreciate the effort that went into writing it :D