Soooo.....Where's Retro?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

I'm shocked to have heard nothing about Retro, and especially after the announcement of Metroid: Other M. Where does this leave Retro? Was Nintendo fed up with Retro's work? Where is this rumored game that they've been working on (NO! it's not Zelda!!!)???

I'm all for Nintendo expanding their relationships (especially with Team Ninja), but this actually makes me ponder WTF? Other M, to me, looks like it definitely has potential, but one of the greatest things I loved about Retro, was their art team. Samus' new designs, their lush enviroments, etc. make a "ohhhh, so tasty" looking game. The CGI parts of that trailer were pretty epic looking, and so was the action. I know the game is still in production, but I'm already not liking the character designs (in game), and I honestly think Samus' suit looks like garbage. I'm still hopeful that it will look better with time though, so we'll see.

But again, where is Retro with all of this? Other M has been in production since 2006, and with Metroid Prime 3 having been launched back in 2007...what have they been up to??? We all know they lost some key members, so has Nintendo ended relationship with them? Minimized it?

Any news that I missed? Please, feel free to enlighten me

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Reggie said they're working on something. Dare I say it? "Just wait"
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Im pretty sure Retro is in Texas ... and to answer the question, didnt reggie say they are gonna release some info on the Retro project that is suppose to be going on right now (and it isnt metroid) during their fall conference? dont quote me on that, im not really sure
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

Does Nintendo not own them outright? No chance they drop relations with their own branches.

Retro is working on something(its possible the Prime 1+2 remakes were by them), and they surely have other stuff going.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
[QUOTE="dragonball3900"]

Does Nintendo not own them outright? No chance they drop relations with their own branches.

Retro is working on something(its possible the Prime 1+2 remakes were by them), and they surely have other stuff going.

im pretty sure Retro is second party, meaning Nintendo own considerable amount of their shares
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Austin, Texas. And they can't work on Metroid forever.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="dragonball3900"]

im pretty sure Retro is second party, meaning Nintendo own considerable amount of their shares

Nintendo owns all of Retro.
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dragonball3900

OreoMilkshake

Went to go check on this, just to make sure.

Retro is indeed a first party studio, with the owner selling out to Nintendo after Prime 1 was released. IGN also has them listed as a wholly owned subsidary.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="funsohng"] im pretty sure Retro is second party, meaning Nintendo own considerable amount of their sharesdragonball3900

Retro is indeed a first party studio, with the owner selling out to Nintendo after Prime 1 was released. IGN also has them listed as a wholly owned subsidary.

must have confused with rare then or was rare first party too?
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dragonball3900

[QUOTE="dragonball3900"]

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Nintendo owns all of Retro.funsohng

Rare was like %51 owners 49% Nintendo. So second party.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Read Reggie E3 Interviews. Retro Studios are 'working hard' on a big project. Also, you act like Retro Studios invented Metroid. There's Team Ninja, but on the other the Nintendo team who made original Metroid 1 - 4 are also working on this, so it's in good hands.

ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

Maybe their working on Starfox or Kid Icarus :P I can't wait for their next game.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
[QUOTE="dragonball3900"]

Rare was like %51 owners 49% Nintendo. So second party.

thx!
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danger_ranger95

Austin, Texas. And they can't work on Metroid forever.Wintry_Flutist

I know that Wintry, I'm not expecting Retro to be a "Metroid only" developer. If that was the case, and I worked at Retro, I would've left as well. It would be boring to work on the same thing always.

Read Reggie E3 Interviews. Retro Studios are 'working hard' on a big project. Also, you act like Retro Studios invented Metroid. There's Team Ninja, but on the other the Nintendo team who made original Metroid 1 - 4 are also working on this, so it's in good hands.

MangaPicture

I'm not acting as if Retro invented Metroid, but in terms of turning a proven 2D establishment into full blown 3D FPA game (which some huge companies have trouble with; Sega w/ Sonic for instance), especially from an unknown team..I'd say yeah...They invented the 3D metroid, at least should be some credit for doing so. Everyone loved Prime!

I'm just curious to see what they've been up to. There's been no website update since Aug of 2008, and that was for job postings. No interviews from anyone, and no questions asked besides this recent interview from Reggie.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

Retro is working on Mario Party 9. It will be the best Mario Party ever.

LastLaugh90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LastLaugh90
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts
Starfox or Icarus...im feeling like its Icarus
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danger_ranger95

yeah it does make you wonder!

C'mon KID!

Makedonijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Makedonijo
Member since 2007 • 351 Posts

maybe they are working in that space pirate game that was hinted on a japanese website

http://www.destructoid.com/japanese-metroid-web-site-hints-at-space-pirate-side-story-120794.phtml

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
some say they're working on Kid Icarus which might be an interesting series revival after Punch Out brilliantly resurrected that old series
m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

shoryuken_
Heck yes.
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 danger_ranger95

[QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

m1k3m

Heck yes.

Heck No!!! lol

Kuhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Kuhu
Member since 2004 • 2845 Posts
Starfox or Icarus...im feeling like its IcarusLastLaugh90
Why do you think its Icarus? Actually... Why do people still think there is a Kid Icarus game in development?!
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Nintendo is doing the smart thing. They have big plans for retro, who are now nintendo's biggest, most real connection to north america, development wise. If Retro is going to become like Rare they will have to show they can do something other than metriod. If they can something like Banjo was for the n64, or even better, something unique and independent like Conker or Jet Force Gemini then Nintendo will be set for the future. The problem with that logic is that rare has been a dev since the NES days (and before I think) and the only thing retro has done is metroid

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts

They should be working on something, maybe the Metroid trilogy or some new game that has just not been announced yet.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#25 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Im pretty sure Retro is in Texas ... funsohng

:lol:

I am glad they are not working on Metroid this time around, the series needed some fresh air and Team Ninja did it!

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

I am glad Retro is not working on the next Metroid game. They made Metroid what it is today, but that just tells me they can do so much more. Think of the magic they could do with a new IP or a dormant franchise. DK, Star Fox, and many others are just waiting for an ambitious developer to crack them open.

If we get another Metroid from them that would be ridiculous. That would be 3 Metroids along with 3 platforming Mario games. Not good.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
retro said prior to e3 that they wouldnt be annoucing their big project. also, people think that kid icarus is being made because nintendo all but announced last year that a 3rd party is making it.
07pops07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 07pops07
Member since 2008 • 552 Posts

retro said prior to e3 that they wouldnt be annoucing their big project. also, people think that kid icarus is being made because nintendo all but announced last year that a 3rd party is making it.starwarsjunky
whene did they say a 3rd party is making it link please

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

dragonball3900
Nintendo owns them totally .And yes Reggie JUST SAID they are working hard in a nintendo project.
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

Retro said they wanted to work on something that wasn't Metroid and at E3 Reggie said they were working on something that they aren't ready to show yet. Also, there's that rumour that they were briefly involved with Zelda in some capacity. Then again, that comes from Matt of IGN and the dude gets a lot of hate around here (Undeserved, IMO) so me bringing it up puts me at risk of being flamed by the overzealous. Anyway, Retro certainly hasn't been cut lose from Nintendo if that's what you're worried about.

Captain-Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Captain-Pants
Member since 2005 • 3533 Posts

[QUOTE="LastLaugh90"]Starfox or Icarus...im feeling like its IcarusKuhu
Why do you think its Icarus? Actually... Why do people still think there is a Kid Icarus game in development?!

People think a Kid Icarus game is in development because Nintendo is acting weird. I know that they always act weird but reviving franchises is the current trend right now across all forms of entertainment. When you factor in business trends, strong virtual console sales, his inclusion in the Smash series, and key figures from Nintendo mentioning a possible revival of the series(this is including Miyamoto and one of the original Kid Icarus team members) it is easy to understand why the internet has exploded with speculation.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]retro said prior to e3 that they wouldnt be annoucing their big project. also, people think that kid icarus is being made because nintendo all but announced last year that a 3rd party is making it.07pops07

LINK

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Didn't Reggie or Miyamoto say that they were working very hard on something different than Metroid?
Captain-Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Captain-Pants

[QUOTE="07pops07"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]retro said prior to e3 that they wouldnt be annoucing their big project. also, people think that kid icarus is being made because nintendo all but announced last year that a 3rd party is making it.starwarsjunky

LINK

That doesn't necessarily mean it is being made by a third party if he isn't the producer, it is just Nintendo language for "yes a Kid Icarus game will come at one point." It seems as though this title could have possibly been in development for awhile now, we should hear something about it soon. I forgot about this though, thanks for posting that link. I think it seals the deal, this game is happening, it is just a matter of when and by who?

Even if primary development duties are being handled by a third party, Nintendo will still supervise the process, and give some of the top production jobs to on of their internal teams. Most likely one of their SPD teams. People never seem to realize that this is how they roll....

remblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 remblade
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts

There's no telling what they are really working on for nintendo but here's a little info on what they were at least doing recently. It seems they were helping out ubisoft with Red Steel 2.

http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/News/Entries/2009/6/4_Retro_Studios_helped_on_Red_Steel_2.html

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="Captain-Pants"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]

[QUOTE="07pops07"] whene did they say a 3rd party is making it link please

LINK

That doesn't necessarily mean it is being made by a third party if he isn't the producer, it is just Nintendo language for "yes a Kid Icarus game will come at one point." It seems as though this title could have possibly been in development for awhile now, we should hear something about it soon. I forgot about this though, thanks for posting that link. I think it seals the deal, this game is happening, it is just a matter of when and by who?

Even if primary development duties are being handled by a third party, Nintendo will still supervise the process, and give some of the top production jobs to on of their internal teams. Most likely one of their SPD teams. People never seem to realize that this is how they roll....

this article is exactly why ive been hyping kid icarus recently. I just hope it wasnt factor 5 that was doing it(though someone else would likely pick it up if this is the case)...regardless im sure nintendo will be working closely with whoever it is to make sure they get it right.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="remblade"]

There's no telling what they are really working on for nintendo but here's a little info on what they were at least doing recently. It seems they were helping out ubisoft with Red Steel 2.

http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/News/Entries/2009/6/4_Retro_Studios_helped_on_Red_Steel_2.html

this may be something they're doing something with but its definitely not their "big" project
Captain-Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Captain-Pants

[QUOTE="Captain-Pants"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]

LINK

starwarsjunky

this article is exactly why ive been hyping kid icarus recently. I just hope it wasnt factor 5 that was doing it(though someone else would likely pick it up if this is the case)...regardless im sure nintendo will be working closely with whoever it is to make sure they get it right.

Who knows what could be going on with this title at this point. Just remember that Nintendo has special teams that are designed to take on top production jobs of certan titles that are not being made at Nintendo HQ. So, if primary development is being done by a third party it doesn't mean it is a third party game. It is co-developed unevenly with Nintendo having full control over the title and the top production jobs usually being assigned to one of Nintendo's 1st party SPD teams.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 starwarsjunky
anyways, im glad its taken them so long to do kid icarus. look at the game quality and effort third parties are putting out now. even if nintendo were to have absolutely nothing to do with it (which I HIGHLY doubt) im still sure it would be great
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#40 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

shoryuken_

haha. that made me laugh.

TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

Starfox, please.

danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 danger_ranger95

it was interesting to see that Retro helped out Ubisoft with RS2, very nice on Nintendo's part.

With all this talk of the Kid returning (Retro doing the dirty work), I wonder if they could go 2 for 2 (if it was a reality). 2nd, I wonder if they wanted to be responsible for another Nintendo franchise?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Im pretty sure Retro is in Texas ... and to answer the question, didnt reggie say they are gonna release some info on the Retro project that is suppose to be going on right now (and it isnt metroid) during their fall conference? dont quote me on that, im not really surefunsohng
lol I was going to use that "In Texas" joke, and Reggie said it was possible to hear something in the Fall, so yeah there's a chance but no guarantee. Also Retro said that they wanted to take a break from Metroid and Other M was already in production for awhile it seems, sort of like a side project that got a green light. That doesn't mean that they will never handle Metroid again, especially since this is a collarboration project, it is definitely possible to be a one time deal. Retro has something on their plate for now which is only good news, as long as they don't end up like Rare I am fine with them working on things outside of Metroid. Hey for all you know they could working on any of the following: Kid Icarus, Star Fox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, all possible and I wouldn't mind any of those.
kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

I'm going to attempt to connect a few dots here real quick like.

E3 2009 for Ninendo was huge, several major announcements that caught everyone by surprise from New Super Mario Bros. Wii to Super Mario Galaxy then Golden Sun DS and finally Metroid: The Other M. Now who was absent from this list? Zelda right? Well shortly after their press event Miyamoto sat down and talked about it, but said it wasn't ready to be shown yet and that they wanted to focus on development instead of putting together something for E3. When pressed for further details he was very sparse and only showed off a single bit of concept art for the game that people have been going nuts over simply because in one shot Link doesn't have a sword (its not like he has ever started a game without a sword right?).

Also absent from this event and someone that has been off the radar for awhile now is Retro Studios who have handled a few things here and there, but overall haven't been up to much since the launch of Metroid Prime 3 in 2007. Now I'm speculating abit here, but Miyamoto has said that they needed to bring in some fresh, new, and unique ideas to Zelda franchise. He said it needed to move in a new direction and that he wanted the gamer to feel more apart of everything, to be brought into the story more so than ever.

Retro Studios did an amazing job reinventing the Metroid series and bringing it completely into 3D. Now its my belief at this time that Retro Studios is tied up with the development of the new Zelda because both were next to a no show at E3 and when people press about what either are up to they get told to just wait. Its also said that Zelda will be shown off at later date (probably at the TGS) and that Retro Studios will be back the veil of their new project at a later date. Retro Studios could be hard at work on the new Zelda and bringing it some fresh new ideas, taking it in a new art direction (as they did with Metroid), and trying out some new ideas they never got the chance to do with Metroid.

If they aren't working on Zelda then they are hard at work on either a new Donkey Kong adventure (DK Wii) or the Kid Icarus game everyone has been raving on about for awhile. This is what makes sense to me that this seems to be where the trail of bread crumbs is leading.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Retro just wrapped up work on the Metroid Prime Trilogy compilation due out in August. Have you all forgotten?!

Also, Nintendo (specifically Reggie) has already stated that Retro is hard at work on some other project. I personally would like to see Retro strut their skillon something other than Metroid. Retro can work wanders with ANY IP considering their art direction!!!

I just hope Retro doesn't become the next Rare.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

For the New Metroid game they are working with Team Ninja.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

For the New Metroid game they are working with Team Ninja.

SSBFan12
No their not, they have nothing to do with that project.