Sonic Colors GT Review - 6.4 (ouch)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-sonic-colors/706920

6.4 Ouch.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

But I thought the cycle was broken :lol:

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

But I thought the cycle was broken :lol:

Cruse34

When you have a large set of reviews and only one review out of those is below 8/10, that is what one calls an outlier.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Huh, the game still looks great but I get what there saying about the blind spots and the trial and error platforming :/

I for one play a lot of old school platformers so I'm pretty used to those flaws but I could see how some would be very frustrated with them. It all depends on the player.

Still getting the game day one!

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Called it! Game has always looked terrible.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Not to much of a surprise, to me at least. I haven't really looked much into the game, yet it never looked like it would be that great.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GabuEx

goblaa

Not to much of a surprise, to me at least. I haven't really looked much into the game, yet it never looked like it would be that great.paradigm68

I feel like I've entered a bizarro world where the critic average for this game (not including this review) is not 8.5.

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

It's weird, all it takes is one bad review and all of the haters come out attacking this game. I for one have already made up my mind to buy this game as it looks like something that I will enjoy.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

goblaa
the one review gave it a 6.4 is bad but what about the 3+ that give it 8.0 or higher are they all wrong because 1 guy didn't like it
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
This one is the outlier so far but need to see more reviews.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

So did Game Trailers just tell me to ignore Colors and just get Sonic 1-3 + Knuckles + 4 + Rush 1 & 2 + Colors DS?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

GabuEx

Not to much of a surprise, to me at least. I haven't really looked much into the game, yet it never looked like it would be that great.paradigm68

I feel like I've entered a bizarro world where the critic average for this game (not including this review) is not 8.5.

The only other places to review it are IGN (which rates every sonic game as great no matter how bad they are) and a bunch of nintendo mags.

Sry, but GT is the sole trustworthy review so far. Ley's wait to see what GB, GS, Eurogamer, and 1UP have to say next. I don't think it will be god.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Yeah, but 6.4 is a number, but actually looking at the review, it sounded like it deserved a better score. So still sounds like a good game to me, which I will get. This is why we can never trust just plain numbers, they don't really work well.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 goblaa

Yeah, but 6.4 is a number, but actually looking at the review, it sounded like it deserved a better score. So still sounds like a good game to me, which I will get. This is why we can never trust just plain numbers, they don't really work well.ModeDude

I watched the review and it did NOT look or sound like more than a 6.4 at all. Comments like "sonic control like a bag of cement", "very floaty 2D gameplay with cheap deaths", and "you'll wish sonic was a mute character" do not sound like more thna a 6.4.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="paradigm68"]Not to much of a surprise, to me at least. I haven't really looked much into the game, yet it never looked like it would be that great.goblaa

The only other places to review it are IGN (which rates every sonic game as great no matter how bad they are) and a bunch of nintendo mags.

Sry, but GT is the sole trustworthy review so far. Ley's wait to see what GB, GS, Eurogamer, and 1UP have to say next. I don't think it will be god.

You obviously know nothing about the Sonic reviews at IGN.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="paradigm68"]Not to much of a surprise, to me at least. I haven't really looked much into the game, yet it never looked like it would be that great.goblaa

Lets check some the IGN Sonic Reviews.

• Sonic 06 - 4.8
  • Sonic Unleashed - 4.5(360), 7.2(Wii)
  • Sonic Secret Rings- 6.9
  • Sonic Black Knight- 3.9
  • Sonic Adventure DX- 5
  • Sonic Heroes- 6.9, 7.2 and 8.
  • Sonic 4-8

You have to go to the Sonic Advance series or the Sonic Advenure games to get reviews with a decent score. I think they rate harsh enough.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

The bits where they try to prove the unfair gameplay certainly look like the reviewer is simply a horrible player. Seriously, some of the stuff shown is facepalm worthy.

And I love how reviews are dismissed simply because they come from Nintendo magazines, not to mention that there are several other reviews giving 8s by now...

Mithost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mithost
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts

No matter how many good reviews this game gets, this will still plague this game because some people like to judge it on somebody else's opinion. Sonic Colours might not be the greatest game ever, but that wont be known to everyone until everyone plays it.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#19 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

IGN's 8.5 score has already sold me on this game. And so far that score seems to be an exception, not them norm.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

GabuEx

remember that single mario galaxy 2 review that said the game was just awful? we should take it as the right review, and all other 25876235478 reviews were just hyped fanboys.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Gametrailers review is a C-C-C-C-CCCCCOMBO BREAKER!!!!!1
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
finishes watching* that was an awkward review to say the least. not only it mostly contradicts the reviews that have been out so far (talking about the points he makes, not scores), but the reviewer seemed to have control issues i didn't have with a 6 months old pre-finished build. but i have to agree, the new theme manages to beat sonic heroes in terms of annoyance.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

It's weird, all it takes is one bad review and all of the haters come out attacking this game.

Gorillanator
That's what happens when people let an arbitrary number do the thinking for them.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

This is why I don't like reading user reviewers or critic reviewers. They sometimes use their biases to rate games horribly that don't deserve it like that user review that gave SMG2 a 3.5 and this critc review.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GabuEx

This is why I don't like reading user reviewers or critic reviewers. They sometimes use their biases to rate games horribly that don't deserve it like that user review that gave SMG2 a 3.5 and this critc review.

super600

There is really no way to write a legitimately unbiased review such that it's still a genuine review as opposed to a bare fact sheet.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

GabuEx

There is really no way to write a legitimately unbiased review such that it's still a genuine review as opposed to a bare fact sheet.

But this review is a lot more biased than all the other reviews

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sonic_spark

The only issue I had with this review was the trial and error comment. I think for a platformer that is inherent.

However, GT hit a lot of points that I was concerned about when watching hands-on and gameplay videos. I'll wait to see more for now.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
A review cant be anymore bias than any other one, because its all just opinion. They could hate everything about the game because they hate the color blue, but that still just change the fact that its just opinion based on personal context. No different from liking the game just because your a huge Sonic fan. Reviews by their very nature are bias, no way around that.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

But this review is a lot more biased than all the other reviews

How?

Every review is in two parts: it says what's in the game, and then it says what the reviewer thought about what's in the game. Now, it's possible for a reviewer to have the first part wrong, which is obviously a pretty major problem, but if not, then basically anything put in the second part is as valid as anything else, provided it's the reviewer's honest impressions.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

This was just a bad review, period.

It deserves a higher score then 6.4. I usually enjoy watching Gametrailer's reviews but not this time. It's ridiculous that they gave Sonic Colors a 6.4 but they gave Sonic Unleashed a 7.0. Sega and Sonic Team took everything that was great about Sonic Unleashed, mainly the day stages, and made an entire game out of it with Sonic Colors. And Sonic Colors is clearly the better game so for them to give it a lower score is just blasphemy. I can tell from watching gameplay videos that Sonic Colors controls pretty much exactly like Sonic Unleashed with the exception of the Wisps, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the controls in Sonic Unleashed. Playing the day stages in Sonic Unleashed was a blast and I highly doubt Sonic Colors will be any different.

Oh well, I'm not even going to take this review seriously since every other review that's come out so far gave it higher then 8.0. Reviews don't even justify my decision to buy games either, I just hate it when one review comes along like this and givesthe gamean unfair score when it clearly deserves better.

I will say this though, after watching the review I'm very disappointed with Sonic's new voice. His voice was fine the way it was, now it just sounds to deep and doesn't suit him at all. In a way it doesn't even feel like it's Sonic now, it's like its someone else completely, it's definitly not the Sonic I know and am used to. Bad move Sega :(

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GabuEx

I will say this though, after watching the review I'm very disappointed with Sonic's new voice. His voice was fine the way it was, now it just sounds to deep and doesn't suit him at all. In a way it doesn't even feel like it's Sonic now, it's like its someone else completely, it's definitly not the Sonic I know and am used to. Bad move Sega :(

J_Ford

Sonic will always be Urkel to me. :P

tconslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tconslayer
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

Haha i knew it honestly sega doesnt make that good of games the only reason why people like these games is just because sonic is a famous name thats it the games suck

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#33 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
And obviously you never tried yourself. IMO is a great game and others reviewers had reflected it. Consider I'm not a Sonic fan but this one is just great
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Broken standard controls
Broken motion controls
Broken camera
Bad level design

Well it seems that Sega really covered all the bases for making a game that's truly not enjoyable even if you are a Sega or Sonic fan

I've been saying this all along, this looked like a watered down Sonic Rush with too much clutter.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sonic_spark

Broken standard controls
Broken motion controls
Broken camera
Bad level design

Well it seems that Sega really covered all the bases for making a game that's truly not enjoyable even if you are a Sega or Sonic fan

I've been saying this all along, this looked like a watered down Sonic Rush with too much clutter.

Jaysonguy

One of the rare times I agree with you.

Maybe compared to other Sonic 3d's this is good :P

Although I can see myself picking this up when it drops in price. Heck, I own and am currently playing Sonic '06, and that game is a mess.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Broken standard controls
Broken motion controls
Broken camera
Bad level design

Jaysonguy

What...
in...
the...
hell...

The only thing that's broken and bad here is your opinion and thought process.

And I've never seen you say anything in any thread that's been made about Sonic Colors until now. I thought Trolling wasn't aloud?

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I think as long as I don't read a review where they think it's a complete disaster I will still get it.The last sonic game I played was Sonic Adventures 2, and this looks alot similar gameplay wise.

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Ok so because GT made some trashy biased review Colours is automatically bad.

It's amazing how Mario Galaxy 2, which many consider to be one of the best platformers of all time, suffers from pretty much all the problems Colors does. Nevertheless, I suggest we just ignore the crappy Gametrailers review.

EuroGamer 9/10

IGN - 8.5/10

Famitsu - 34/40

Vandal Online - 9/10

Nintendo Power - 9/10

Those are only some of the reviews, come to the hype thread in system wars for more info.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

Huh, the game still looks great but I get what there saying about the blind spots and the trial and error platforming :/

I for one play a lot of old school platformers so I'm pretty used to those flaws but I could see how some would be very frustrated with them. It all depends on the player.

Still getting the game day one!

I agree! Sonic 4 gave me problems with some of its platforming but I guess that's where the challenge came from. If your an old scholl gamer, (NES, SNES, and etc.), then there are ways to figure out and play through these issues.
Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
I don't base anything on one review.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#41 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

Broken standard controls
Broken motion controls
Broken camera
Bad level design

Jaysonguy

Really? Perhaps you were playing a different game...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 super600  Moderator

It so sad that if the majority of the reviews for this game end up being positive including Gamespot's the haters will all latch on tothe bad reviews like what happened with Sonic 4 to make fun of the sonic fanbase.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

It seems like Gametrailers was just looking for complaints. They did the same with Folklore. the jumping is too floaty. Since when has Sonic's jumping been tight? I don't think the voice acting should have been mentioned. Voice acting is always bad in games that don't really have a story. Other reviews have commented that the voices are the best that the characters have had since the sonic games have had voice acting. The game actually looks fun to play.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

It's someone else who reviewed Colors at IGN, I have no clue who that guy is.

Pre review footage looks obviously good but after seeing the GT review I understand why I felt something was off with the IGN one.

The on rails part of the game is bad filler, the controls in the "3D" parts are very bad as you have to learn how the controls work rather than the controls being intuitive and responsive/accurate. The 2D controls where ok of what I played in the previous Sonic demo, but the problem is that the level design is simple there and later on in the game the controls might be bad there too as GT said.

Colors probably have cool stuff going for it and it's probably an alright game if you like Sonic games, but to me the final score depends mostly on the gameplay and it just isn't there.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS

the controls in the "3D" parts are very bad as you have to learn how the controls work

kontejner44
you mean like every single game ever? :o
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

[QUOTE="kontejner44"]

the controls in the "3D" parts are very bad as you have to learn how the controls work

BrunoBRS

Why did you cut off half the sentence? I said they are bad, as you have to learn how to manipulate them rather than them having decent learning curves, good level design, being responsive and accurate. They aren't broken, but they are bad. This was my point, sorry if you missunderstood me.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="kontejner44"]

kontejner44

Why did you cut off half the sentence? I said they are bad, as you have to learn how to manipulate them rather than them having decent learning curves, good level design, being responsive and accurate. They aren't broken, but they are bad. This was my point, sorry if you missunderstood me.

well it's just that every game has a learning curve, or an "adaptation curve" in case of similar gameplay. i swear to god i have an awful time trying to get used to new super mario bros' jump/run controls. i kinda understand all the rage on sonic 4 now. kinda. i see where they're coming from, but if they're not broken, you shouldn't really be complaining, just like i don't complain about NSMB controls (just curse them until i ragequit)

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Gametrailers is way off the average this time. The average is 79, for those people who are too lazy to click. Honestly I think the guy just likes complaining about the game because he sucks at it. But yes, Sonic's voice does sound like crap in this game from what I heard in that video review.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

The others gave it a great score.. :?