Someone Who Has Never Played OoT (But has played TP)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cam2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cam2009
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
Now, don't kill me. I didn't have a Nintendo 64. My first mario platformer was Super Mario Sunshine, and my first Zelda was Twilight Princess. So, I have no nostalgia for OoT. Now, before I spend 10 bucks on it, how does it compare? Some reviews I've read make it seem like they took OoT, made it longer, deeper, and better in every way to make TP. If so, is it really worth it? What are the differences in the game? I want to get into it, but I don't want to spend 30+ hours on a game that's just a downgraded game of the one I just played. No disrespect at all, because I understand it's regarded as one of the best games ever...just wondering how someone who went straight to TP will view it.
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
Now, don't kill me. I didn't have a Nintendo 64. My first mario platformer was Super Mario Sunshine, and my first Zelda was Twilight Princess. So, I have no nostalgia for OoT. Now, before I spend 10 bucks on it, how does it compare? Some reviews I've read make it seem like they took OoT, made it longer, deeper, and better in every way to make TP. If so, is it really worth it? What are the differences in the game? I want to get into it, but I don't want to spend 30+ hours on a game that's just a downgraded game of the one I just played. No disrespect at all, because I understand it's regarded as one of the best games ever...just wondering how someone who went straight to TP will view it.cam2009
Kill him!
ShakeNBake1491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ShakeNBake1491
Member since 2004 • 3055 Posts
[QUOTE="cam2009"]Now, don't kill me. I didn't have a Nintendo 64. My first mario platformer was Super Mario Sunshine, and my first Zelda was Twilight Princess. So, I have no nostalgia for OoT. Now, before I spend 10 bucks on it, how does it compare? Some reviews I've read make it seem like they took OoT, made it longer, deeper, and better in every way to make TP. If so, is it really worth it? What are the differences in the game? I want to get into it, but I don't want to spend 30+ hours on a game that's just a downgraded game of the one I just played. No disrespect at all, because I understand it's regarded as one of the best games ever...just wondering how someone who went straight to TP will view it.nintendo_fan675
Kill him!

lmao... If you go from Tp to OoT you'll probably think the opposite of those who really enjoy TP but like OoT better, meaning you would have a great time playing OoT though you'll probably like TP better (that is, if you really like it.). I recommend it no matter what Zelda game you've played first.
amtentori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 amtentori
Member since 2003 • 1911 Posts
i played oot when it came out and tp when it came out and enjoyed oot a lot more... but i understand your point of view and it makes sense... tp perfected the formula... which is why it dissapointed a lot of people, a great game, but nothing too new. pick up alink to the past ... it has  aged better and the 2d makes it different and is still considered the best zelda by many.
thegame458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 thegame458
Member since 2006 • 1326 Posts
The game has a great story and is fun. There are puzzles, which are not too hard. The game gets better as you go further. If graphics are not a problem with you, then I would suggest to get this game. Now as comparing it to Twilight Princess, story wise, i would say that this game is more interesting than Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess is better in terms of graphics, however in gameplay and story, Ocarina of Time is better and it is worth 10 dollars because even if you beat it once, you still want to play it again. And it keeps you busy. It's better than some of the wii games out right now. I'm gonna tell you to buy it
gameplaya123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gameplaya123
Member since 2006 • 2372 Posts
Play Ocarina of Time, NOW!!!!!!!!
LoZD-Money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LoZD-Money
Member since 2005 • 263 Posts
IMO I can sum it up in three very special and amazing words that I can honestly say I've never said about any other game and most likely will never say about another. Greates Game Ever.
KJAX90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 KJAX90
Member since 2006 • 8809 Posts
It's my first Zelda game aswell. I'm definitely gonna be buying OoT...
linkrul3s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 linkrul3s
Member since 2006 • 1954 Posts
Get the game 'cause it's really fun but a lot harder than TP
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
OOT>>>>WW>MM>TP, there you go.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts
Wow, I found TP to be better than most Zelda games. Definitely better than Wind Waker.
footballstar07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 footballstar07
Member since 2007 • 698 Posts
Now, don't kill me. I didn't have a Nintendo 64. My first mario platformer was Super Mario Sunshine, and my first Zelda was Twilight Princess. So, I have no nostalgia for OoT. Now, before I spend 10 bucks on it, how does it compare? Some reviews I've read make it seem like they took OoT, made it longer, deeper, and better in every way to make TP. If so, is it really worth it? What are the differences in the game? I want to get into it, but I don't want to spend 30+ hours on a game that's just a downgraded game of the one I just played. No disrespect at all, because I understand it's regarded as one of the best games ever...just wondering how someone who went straight to TP will view it.cam2009
Its that simply get ocarina of time. ONe of the best games ever
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

Play Ocarina of Time, NOW!!!!!!!!gameplaya123

Seriously go get it now... well actually next monday but get it then. it doesnt matter what you played. this game REVOLUTIONIZED the adventure genre. nothing compares to that. unless your a graphics ***** and dont care about how 3d games were perfected you need to get this game. no discussion, its perfect in every way and makes TP look like s***.

Avatar image for The_end_of_doom
The_end_of_doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_end_of_doom
Member since 2006 • 527 Posts
It's hard to say really... From a technical point of view TP is better, yet OoT just has a feeling to it that gives it something more then TP. Perhaps it only works if you played OoT in it's time, but I'm gonna try it on my only friend who hasn't played OoT yet (He's getting a wii so the news is awesome for him :) )
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
In all honesty, if you started off on TP and haven't played any other Zelda then OoT will probably be a letdown. I think people only regard OoT as the "Greatest Game Ever" because they played it in its time. Comparing it to TP directly, OoT fails horribly because of its age.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Well, you're right, Twilight Princess, in an absolute comparison, is essentially better in every way. I haven't played Ocarina of Time since the year of its release, though, so I'm not really sure how it would hold up. Relatively, I played both around their time of release and liked Twilight Princess more. There were nothing I disliked about Twilight Princess whereas there were grinding parts in Ocarina of Time, and a terrible final boss. Yeah, yeah, argue with me, see the spoiler: [spoiler] Oh no, he's giant. Roll through his legs, slash, repeat. All that build up for that? [/spoiler]
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="cam2009"]Now, don't kill me. I didn't have a Nintendo 64. My first mario platformer was Super Mario Sunshine, and my first Zelda was Twilight Princess. So, I have no nostalgia for OoT. Now, before I spend 10 bucks on it, how does it compare? Some reviews I've read make it seem like they took OoT, made it longer, deeper, and better in every way to make TP. If so, is it really worth it? What are the differences in the game? I want to get into it, but I don't want to spend 30+ hours on a game that's just a downgraded game of the one I just played. No disrespect at all, because I understand it's regarded as one of the best games ever...just wondering how someone who went straight to TP will view it.nintendo_fan675
Kill him!

Oh he's already dead. I may have put something in his last meal..........No need to worry about him. You should have played it.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Wow, I found TP to be better than most Zelda games. Definitely better than Wind Waker.Optusnet
Yeah there's some things I prefer but TP's boring and drab in comparison, thats just me though.
Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Staccat0
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts

OoT is a good game regardless... Have fun! Its better than Wii Play for $10.00

Its also inportant to note that "good" and "greatest" often refer to innovation, influence and fun rather than just gameplay mechanics. I'm not gonna pick one way or the other. Afterall, I'm a LttP guy...

arkboy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 arkboy_basic
Member since 2002 • 747 Posts
You probably won't like OOT better than TP. It's just not as deep as TP, but it is a timeless game and you should enjoy it.
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

[QUOTE="Optusnet"]Wow, I found TP to be better than most Zelda games. Definitely better than Wind Waker.tomarlyn
Yeah there's some things I prefer but TP's boring and drab in comparison, thats just me though.

Yah i like WW a little better. TP is great though. definetly either Oot>WW>TP or Oot>WW=TP. They are both really great

ssj4_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ssj4_2004
Member since 2004 • 2482 Posts
[QUOTE="yodariquo"]Well, you're right, Twilight Princess, in an absolute comparison, is essentially better in every way. I haven't played Ocarina of Time since the year of its release, though, so I'm not really sure how it would hold up. Relatively, I played both around their time of release and liked Twilight Princess more. There were nothing I disliked about Twilight Princess whereas there were grinding parts in Ocarina of Time, and a terrible final boss. Yeah, yeah, argue with me, see the spoiler: [spoiler] Oh no, he's giant. Roll through his legs, slash, repeat. All that build up for that? [/spoiler]

Okay then, I shall argue with You. Ganon was a much better boss in OOT. In Twilight princess....

[spoiler] His first form in TP is just A rehash from his first form in OOT. But, at least in OOT it was somewhat unexpected. And it was actually challenging, the first few times You fought against him

As for his second form in OOT. I found it mildly challenging. But it had atmosfere. Fighting ganon in 3-d for the first time was amazing. He looked so fearsome, and huge. It made it all worth while.

The ganondorf in Twili on the other-hand. Was just 4 mini-bosses wrapped up into one. With no real challenge in any of them. That little pig form of his looked more silly than frightning.

Sure chasing ganondorf on epona was fun. But that form only lasted like 5 minutes.

Now the final fight against ganon had atmostfere. And it was somewhat challenging to boot. But it simply cannot compare with ganons true form from OOT. You attack defend, look for an opening, rinse and repeat. It's the same deal with ganon in OOT, but with A less powerful looking for to defeat. [/spoiler]
Heathcliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 Heathcliff
Member since 2003 • 8843 Posts
Personally, I think Twilight Princess is better.   And yes, TP is a more evolved version of Ocarina.   But the thing is, Ocarina remains unique in many ways.  For example, Ocarina remains the only Zelda game where both versions of Link (child and adult) co-exist in one game.  After that, they each got their own game separately ( young Link in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker; and adult Link in TP).  And I think you'd appreciate TP better if you played Ocarina, just for comparison's sake.
ExactlyEv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ExactlyEv
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts

Meh!?  Just get OoT, it doesn't matter what other people think of the game, as long as if u have fun with it, welcome to the gang. If u end up disliking it, well that's just your own opinion towards the game.

But seriously speaking, i wouldn't have found TP as satisfying of a game if i had not played through OoT, LttP, and WW first.

I'm more of a story driven guy, and knowing that the franchise's games are linked into a time line, i got more interested in playing TP cause i wanted to know where the story was headed, or how the story of TP fitted in with the other Zelda games.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Don't ask questions.

JUST BUY IT

AL13NK1LL3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 AL13NK1LL3R
Member since 2005 • 1394 Posts

Don't ask questions.

JUST BUY IT

gaminggeek
haha u sound like this guy in employee of the month (teh movie)
darkfame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darkfame
Member since 2004 • 970 Posts
OoT VC is available in Europe. You can get it already if you live in Europe.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34693 Posts
Kill him!

:lol: I highly recommend that you try OoT. I doubt there will ever be a VC game that's more worth it to spend 1000 points on than this game. Be happy that you've never played this game before, cause now you have an awesome experience waiting for you. Do yourself a huge favour and try this game.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
there are similariteis, especially in the ending, but overal it's a completely different game, download it trust me.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#30 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
[QUOTE="ssj4_2004"][QUOTE="yodariquo"]Well, you're right, Twilight Princess, in an absolute comparison, is essentially better in every way. I haven't played Ocarina of Time since the year of its release, though, so I'm not really sure how it would hold up. Relatively, I played both around their time of release and liked Twilight Princess more. There were nothing I disliked about Twilight Princess whereas there were grinding parts in Ocarina of Time, and a terrible final boss. Yeah, yeah, argue with me, see the spoiler: [spoiler] Oh no, he's giant. Roll through his legs, slash, repeat. All that build up for that? [/spoiler]

Okay then, I shall argue with You. Ganon was a much better boss in OOT. In Twilight princess....

[spoiler] His first form in TP is just A rehash from his first form in OOT. But, at least in OOT it was somewhat unexpected. And it was actually challenging, the first few times You fought against him

As for his second form in OOT. I found it mildly challenging. But it had atmosfere. Fighting ganon in 3-d for the first time was amazing. He looked so fearsome, and huge. It made it all worth while.

The ganondorf in Twili on the other-hand. Was just 4 mini-bosses wrapped up into one. With no real challenge in any of them. That little pig form of his looked more silly than frightning.

Sure chasing ganondorf on epona was fun. But that form only lasted like 5 minutes.

Now the final fight against ganon had atmostfere. And it was somewhat challenging to boot. But it simply cannot compare with ganons true form from OOT. You attack defend, look for an opening, rinse and repeat. It's the same deal with ganon in OOT, but with A less powerful looking for to defeat. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] And Ganondorf's first form on Ocarina of Time was just a rehash of Agahnim from Link to the Past. Challenge is a non-issue in either game. The problem isn't rinse and repeat, it's what rinse is. Ganon basically had no attack. And atmosphere was just as present in the final sword fight in Twilight Princess. Besides, if Twilight Princess Ganondorf were just four minibosses, what does that make Ocarina of Time's? Two minibosses? He wasn't any more complicated. [/spoiler]
jb_22vols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jb_22vols
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts
Yes TP was my first Zelda too, and to be honest I thought it was just ok, I got tired of it after 7 hours (sorry zelda fanboys) but Im gonna give OoT a shot.
Zerox4567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zerox4567
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
You should definatly get Oot but u just have to remember this game is pretty old but it revolutionized the gaming world.
ArkansasBoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#33 ArkansasBoy91
Member since 2006 • 2430 Posts
This not a Downgrade or an Upgrade.. Tp Is totally Diffrent, Way more fun, And Awesome... I think u will really Enjoy it.. And spend 30 hours?? lmao u are looking at around 50 hours to beat TP... im on 40 hours and a litttle bit over half way done with it.. it will probaly take me 20 more hours to beat it
cam2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cam2009
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
This not a Downgrade or an Upgrade.. Tp Is totally Diffrent, Way more fun, And Awesome... I think u will really Enjoy it.. And spend 30 hours?? lmao u are looking at around 50 hours to beat TP... im on 40 hours and a litttle bit over half way done with it.. it will probaly take me 20 more hours to beat itArkansasBoy91
I've already beat TP (40hrs), I was talking about OoT, which I heard was shorter. thanks for the advice guys, I think I might try Link to the Past for something completely different, then buy OoT later if some other Wii games aren't out yet.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

Look, I did play Oot myself, and I just can't get into it. I agree with the general mass that it was revolution for its time and arguably the best game ever made in its generation. I won't argue with that. But since I played it 10 years too late.....it was too late. Twilight Princess feels like a better game when going back to 1996.

I'm going to get flamed and stuff by the stubborn Nintendo fans, but the game is only that awesomely awesome if you have fond memories of the title or clocked the game within a few years of it being released.