Sigh... problem with wii on HD TV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

So I just bought a new TV, got the component cables, switched the settings to 16:9, 480p, and turned the burn in screen reduction on. But... everything looks really pixily. I'm not an xbox360/ps3 fan girl either, I've probably spent around five hours on those systems sincethey've been out. I've tried messing around with the settings too and nothing seems to help. Is my TV just bad? It's the Samsung 32 inch 720p if that helps. Thanks.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
it might be "pixily" because your tv is not a good upscaler (resolution wise).
X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 X-Remnant

it might be "pixily" because your tv is not a good upscaler (resolution wise).gamefan67

Would pixely have been better? My bad. x)

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

It's most likely the fact you are using an LCD. Scalers for smaller LCD's don't upscale, so you get some noticeable pixelation. I have that issue with my 32'in. Vizio LCD. Ironically, it's my much larger 60'in. plasma that gives a great picture quality because the scaler upscales it to 1080pand most gamesare very vibrant and crisp.

It's unfortunate there is such little guidelines for what TV's work best for the Wii.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I guess you just have to live with it. Maybe you could change the sharpness levels of your TV or something.

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 X-Remnant

@FFCYAN Thanks for your reply, it was helpful.

@Epak_ But I already said that I've tried changing the settings. :o

Maybe I'll try returning it, the Wii is almost all I do with my TV. ; - ;

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

take the wii with u back to the shop andask to test other tvs. most stores have no issue if u want to upgrade and spend more, even if it means they have to sell ur previous tv slightly cheaper as "Ex Demo"

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X-Remnant

take the wii with u back to the shop andask to test other tvs. most stores have no issue if u want to upgrade and spend more, even if it means they have to sell ur previous tv slightly cheaper as "Ex Demo"

kungfool69

That's good advice, thank you. :)

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Yeah it's most likely the tv. Don't blame it on the size though. Not all 32's make the Wii's graphics jaggy. I have a 32" 1080p 120hz LG and it works great with the Wii. Obviously it doesn't look as clean as my 360, but it's never to the point where it bugs me by any means.

If you can find that tv at a decent price (I got it for $700 Canadian a few months back), I'd say go with it. It's a 2009, so it's probably going to go down in price soon, if it hasn't already. Also, it's quite possibly the best 32" on the market right now.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
it might be "pixily" because your tv is not a good upscaler (resolution wise).gamefan67
Yeah alot of lower or midrange LCDs display poor standard resolutions.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

So I just bought a new TV, got the component cables, switched the settings to 16:9, 480p, and turned the burn in screen reduction on. But... everything looks really pixily. I'm not an xbox360/ps3 fan girl either, I've probably spent around five hours on those systems sincethey've been out. I've tried messing around with the settings too and nothing seems to help. Is my TV just bad? It's the Samsung 32 inch 720p if that helps. Thanks.

X-Remnant
be sure to also set your TV to 480p. You may find the set to have a "game mode" as well, this would be a low latency mode. wii looks fantastic on my 42" LG LCD, but as others have mentioned the TV's scaler will have an impact as well.
xX-Incubus-Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xX-Incubus-Xx
Member since 2009 • 1120 Posts

It's most likely the fact you are using an LCD. Scalers for smaller LCD's don't upscale, so you get some noticeable pixelation. I have that issue with my 32'in. Vizio LCD. Ironically, it's my much larger 60'in. plasma that gives a great picture quality because the scaler upscales it to 1080pand most gamesare very vibrant and crisp.

It's unfortunate there is such little guidelines for what TV's work best for the Wii.

FFCYAN

Maybe buy a TV that isn't a Vizio....Also LG tv's look like crap too. If you want a TV that will look good go with Sony XBR, Sharp, Samsung or Toshiba. Any other LCD is a waste of $.

I have a 46" Sony XBR and I see no pixelation. But there is a problem with all cut scenes. Everytime the game switches to a cut scene it tries to switch resolution back and drops my audio out. But I never get this problem with Composite. Which means the Wii tries to play back cut scenes in 480i when I want it to playback in 480p. What a piece of ****.

EDIT: Seeing all the LG owners in here, I figured I would edit this. LG tv's have garbage picture quality. Seriously, go to your local store and watch the demo video they have playing on a LG with a comparably priced Samsung. Side by side, the LG is VERY pixelated and just lacking in all respects. I don't say they're crap because I hate LG, I say they're crap because they are. Simple as that.

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
TV might be too large? it looks pixely on a 32'' when you're close enough... what's the optimal size for 480p?