Sick of the PS2 ports!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 skelly7483
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts
Why do they keep porting PS2 graphics to the Wii? The Wii's graphics are better then the PS2s. EA is the biggest one that does it.
kingdomhartfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kingdomhartfan
Member since 2007 • 763 Posts
Ihave no idea why.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

All I want on the PS2 port is Okami. I don't play ports.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

First of all let me say I'm sorry you live somewhere that forces you to buy each and every Wii game not caring if you want it or not. I say this because that's the only way you can complain about this. If you're not buying the games then why do you care?

As for the ports, it's easy. Follow the "Circle of Wii Life"

1. Devs didn't know the Wii would be this popular

2. Devs want games fast

3. Devs port games over so they can get in on the action

If you don't like the games ported over then you must want the Wii to have less games. Please follow this line of events then

1. Less titles on the Wii

2. Less titles people will play

3. Less games sold

4. Less devs want to make games for the console because they don't see sales

5. Wii fails horribly from lack of support

So I mean if a failing console is good news to you then you wont mind that second scenario playing out. I on the other hand rather fancy the Wii so I'm ok with more title to pick from.

skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skelly7483

First of all let me say I'm sorry you live somewhere that forces you to buy each and every Wii game not caring if you want it or not. I say this because that's the only way you can complain about this. If you're not buying the games then why do you care?

2. Devs want games fast

If you don't like the games ported over then you must want the Wii to have less games. Please follow this line of events then

3. Less games sold

So I mean if a failing console is good news to you then you wont mind that second scenario playing out. I on the other hand rather fancy the Wii so I'm ok with more title to pick from.

Jaysonguy

Good point, but still do you think they should start developing without porting the graphics from the PS2 now that developers have had some time, and know the Wii is here to stay?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

Good point, but still do you think they should start developing without porting the graphics from the PS2 now that developers have had some time, and know the Wii is here to stay?

skelly7483

They are but it takes time.

More and more studios are being built for the Wii by EA and Ubisoft, heck Bandai teamed up with Nintendo to make one also.

It takes time. In the meantime you can't just tell customers to wait. You need to get a product out there.

I agree that there are some very poor titles for the Wii but that's a mark of the Wii's success. Wii is the best selling console and everyone wants a title on it. The trick is to support the good titles and ignore the rest.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Why do they keep porting PS2 graphics to the Wii? The Wii's graphics are better then the PS2s. EA is the biggest one that does it.skelly7483

It's not developers fault it's Nintendo's and the consumers fault. First off Nintendo made it super hard to program everything into the game like shadows and lighting. This way the developers just take the easy way out and port over simple graphics from the PS2. This also why the GC failed and Nintendo's doing it again. Also we the consumers are a small cause of this as well. Developers look at game sales and they don't see hardcore gamer games up there. They see games like Wii play and Wii sports. This set's an example to them. It tells them there must be way more older people buying there games that are new comers to video gaming and know nothing about quality. This is why they are just shooting out random games with bugs because they know people will buy it. It's the way the Wii market runs to them.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

First off Nintendo made it super hard to program everything into the game like shadows and lighting. This way the developers just take the easy way out and port over simple graphics from the PS2.

zaku101

False, the Wii isn't difficult to program for and each successive game developed it becomes easier and easier saving the developer a large amount of overhead.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zaku101
[QUOTE="zaku101"]

First off Nintendo made it super hard to program everything into the game like shadows and lighting. This way the developers just take the easy way out and port over simple graphics from the PS2.

Jaysonguy

False, the Wii isn't difficult to program for and each successive game developed it becomes easier and easier saving the developer a large amount of overhead.

More and more studios are being built for the Wii by EA and Ubisoft, heck Bandai teamed up with Nintendo to make one also.

Why build a studio just for Wii games? I don't see Xbox360 studios around. Maybe because it's much harder to program Wii games? I don't know which developer is crazy enough to waste his time adding shadows to every level in the game when for example on the 360 it's already built in and done for you. This was also on the GC and developers didn't like working with this. This is also why the GC had the smallest 3rd party support.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="zaku101"]

zaku101

Why build a studio just for Wii games? I don't see Xbox360 studios around. Maybe because it's much harder to program Wii games? I don't know which developer is crazy enough to waste his time adding shadows to every level in the game when for example on the 360 it's already built in and done for you. This was also on the GC and developers didn't like working with this. This is also why the GC had the smallest 3rd party support.

You're not following

You build a studio because you plan on investing in the Wii. It has the same sort of start up costs as other consoles but they're in a different area.

You build your blends for shadows or whatever you want. That's the setup. Once that is done it's done. You make one shadow, one chrome layer, one anything and it's done. Then you apply it everywhere you need to in the game.

Just like I said above the lack of overhead comes in where you take all those layers and build on the already existing layer for the next game.

This method also lets the Wii get the greatest graphical potential out of the smallest amount of power needed since the process is not resource heavy at all.

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts

Why do they keep porting PS2 graphics to the Wii? The Wii's graphics are better then the PS2s. EA is the biggest one that does it.skelly7483

ok-first of all- if you have no avatar-- your obviously a gamefaqs user- so second and secondmost- go back to where u came from

third of all, who cares about graphics, the wii si about gameplay-- im more into graphics tho myself- but thats off topic

fourth of all, if graphics matter that much to you, go buy a ps3 or 360.

caseclosed

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zaku101
[QUOTE="zaku101"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="zaku101"]

Jaysonguy

You're not following

You build a studio because you plan on investing in the Wii. It has the same sort of start up costs as other consoles but they're in a different area.

You build your blends for shadows or whatever you want. That's the setup. Once that is done it's done. You make one shadow, one chrome layer, one anything and it's done. Then you apply it everywhere you need to in the game.

Just like I said above the lack of overhead comes in where you take all those layers and build on the already existing layer for the next game.

This method also lets the Wii get the greatest graphical potential out of the smallest amount of power needed since the process is not resource heavy at all.

Why waste your time making every shadow in every part of the game. Then every lighting in every part of the game. I am just saying I live in 2008 why must we the developers suffer to make shadows when the 2000 xbox could even do it for me? Dude like it or not this is why the GC 3rd party failed. The xbox for example had 2X more games then the GC and it was a random new console that just jumped in. But it out sold the gamecube because it had way more games and was super easy to develop compared to the GC.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

I was under the impression that the Cube was easy to develop for. Its just the media limitation and lack of users that turned down the 3rd party support. Now, the PS2...THAT was hard to program for. But, after a given amount of time developers knew how to utililize it to its full potential.

The Wii is a gamecube with a beefed up CPU and video chip. Same program methods as the cube are used. Isn't that why they told Devs to just develop like its a cube game back before they were dishing out dev kits?

No reason why the Wii's titles are subpar...seriously.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

Why waste your time making every shadow in every part of the game. Then every lighting in every part of the game. I am just saying I live in 2008 why must we the developers suffer to make shadows when the 2000 xbox could even do it for me? Dude like it or not this is why the GC 3rd party failed. The xbox for example had 2X more games then the GC and it was a random new console that just jumped in. But it out sold the gamecube because it had way more games and was super easy to develop compared to the GC.

zaku101

Again you are wrong, they make one and apply it everywhere, how are you not following that?

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts
Ports are gonna happen... if they stop making PS2 ports they will just make PSP ports (IE. Alien Syndrome). I dont like it either, hopefully we will see less and less of them but there will always be some coming out.
sdcazares1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 sdcazares1980
Member since 2002 • 309 Posts

2. Devs want games fast

3. Less games sold

Jaysonguy

I care because I invested $250 on a system and company that I grew up with. I care because there were many games that I wanted to play but only turn out to be ported versions of it. Why is that? I don't know. I was looking foward to play Soulcalibur Legends because 1) it's Soul Calibur and 2) it is a game specifically designed for the Wii, but after reading the reviews, I was thoroughly disappointed. I wish third party developers would make their franchise games exclusively on the Wii so that these games would be entirely original, and no one would complain about "ported games".

EA so far is getting it right with"The Godfather: Blackhand Edition" and"Medal of Honor Heroes 2" because EA has it's own Wii department so that developers can create games specifically designed for the Wii.Of course there will not be a GTA 4 on the Wii but there should be an original GTA gamefor the system specifically. Same thing goes for Metal Gear Solid (SSBB doesn't count, but avery nice touch nevertheless), Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Star Wars. You third party developersout there need to start creating your own Wii departments so that you can get the games right, ok?

timmy-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 timmy-boy
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts
the only good port was godfather even though the graphics sucked the gameplay is awesome.
Awakaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Awakaga
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Nintendo still can't promise console longevity from the Wii. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will have any problems and I love my Wii dearly but the fact remains is that no one can be quite sure how its going to continue to perform whether or not it is seling now. It really isn't that shocking that a large portion of the titles the Wii gets are shovelware.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
Damn the moment anybody complains slightly about the Wii's graphics (even 3rd party) they are burned alive :shock:. The system is closer to last gen than it is next gen in terms of power, so we are getting ports from similar hardware :(. It didn't bother me at first because I have stuck mainly to 1st party with Nintendo consoles since the N64, but this gen I only have a Wii and I am starting to crave genres not available :?.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
There are many PS2 ports because the Wii is a popular console and developers want to make a lot of games to sell well. Some of these ports result in very good games, so why are you complaining?
SenbeiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SenbeiZ
Member since 2005 • 208 Posts

A good example of a port is Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Even if the game was made from the ground up for the Wii version, and it's smoother and a teeeeeny bit better looking, it's stilla port, sadly. Hopefully though, since DBZ Burst Limit isgoing to be aPS3/Xbox360 game, they won't make anymore DBZ games and Spike and Bandai Namco can focus on a DBZ game with what the Wii can do.

So it takes time. Hopefully, they'll stop porting games from PS2 and start making Wii games how it meant to be.

Mr-Gingersnaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Mr-Gingersnaps
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts
They are to lazy to make them better. I mean people dont expect them to make them look really good so they cut the graphics down and hope that ull just think that it as good graphics as other games. Most wii games are rated on the gameply rather than graphics.
Avatar image for ultimategamer92
ultimategamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ultimategamer92
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts
I agree that there are a lot of ps2 ports but it's not too bad. developers want to get games out as fast as they can so they can make more money. plus the devs are switching over to develop on the wii but that process takes time. the first few non-ported wii games to be developed next have to make their own shadows, meshes, and components from scratch but as time goes by the next games can just take what they made before and place it in their new game making it release sooner. so be patient and the games will come
SuprLuigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SuprLuigi
Member since 2007 • 116 Posts
Jaysonguy is waaaay too serius when it comes to someone degrading the wii. Maby the person is right , you dont have to agree with every move nintendo makes.
skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skelly7483

[QUOTE="skelly7483"]Why do they keep porting PS2 graphics to the Wii? The Wii's graphics are better then the PS2s. EA is the biggest one that does it.Blue_Panda

Im not a gamefaqs user, and who gives a rats *** if I have an avatar. My point is that I want more Wii exclusive games. Some ports are good, but most of them stink. While graphics are not everything, I still care about them. The ones I am talking about are the ports with poor graphics and poor gimmicky controls. I want some more Wii exclusives that dont involve Mario, Zelda, or Wario. Even though i like these games, they are starting to get the "been there played that" feel.

ok-first of all- if you have no avatar-- your obviously a gamefaqs user- so second and secondmost- go back to where u came from

third of all, who cares about graphics, the wii si about gameplay-- im more into graphics tho myself- but thats off topic

fourth of all, if graphics matter that much to you, go buy a ps3 or 360.

caseclosed

skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skelly7483
Im not a gamefaqs user, and who gives a rats *** if I have an avatar. My point is that I want more Wii exclusive games. Some ports are good, but most of them stink. While graphics are not everything, I still care about them. The ones I am talking about are the ports with poor graphics and poor gimmicky controls. I want some more Wii exclusives that dont involve Mario, Zelda, or Wario. Even though i like these games, they are starting to get the "been there played that" feel.
SHACKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 SHACKR
Member since 2007 • 1226 Posts
Let me say this, I'd rather have 10 awesome exclusivegames than 1000 crappy portedgames for the Wii
Avatar image for christ4ever9889
christ4ever9889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 christ4ever9889
Member since 2007 • 1349 Posts
I hate to tell you guys this but jaysonguy is right, as for the famous xbox it may have had more games but it didn't have the same quality, I never had one but my friends got them and whenever they got a new game we'd play it and beat it withing a couple of hours. We played my new gamecube games and had to spend quite awhile on them to beat them. Jaysonguy was talking about the shadows and lighting andhe was exactly right in every single one of his posts.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
If you don't like a certain game, don't buy it.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Thiago26792

I hate to tell you guys this but jaysonguy is right, as for the famous xbox it may have had more games but it didn't have the same quality, I never had one but my friends got them and whenever they got a new game we'd play it and beat it withing a couple of hours. We played my new gamecube games and had to spend quite awhile on them to beat them. Jaysonguy was talking about the shadows and lighting andhe was exactly right in every single one of his posts.christ4ever9889

Yeah, it seems that Jaysonguy won the thread, lol.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Thiago26792

don't blame the devs , blame nintendo for not making their console into a next gen then maybe they wouldn't had end up getting PS2 ports in the first place and no harddrive in the Wii thats why theirs no Wii demos.Tokyo90

You mean that Nintendo didn't make their console into next gen? From what I know, videogames are not only about graphics, online and powerful systems, they're about gaming.

Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts

[QUOTE="Tokyo90"]don't blame the devs , blame nintendo for not making their console into a next gen then maybe they wouldn't had end up getting PS2 ports in the first place and no harddrive in the Wii thats why theirs no Wii demos.Thiago26792

You mean that Nintendo didn't make their console into next gen? From what I know, videogames are not only about graphics, online and powerful systems, they're about gaming.

True but online is good to have like when you have nobody around. sorry for sounding like that on my last post but I just wish the Wii imo was on the same 360 and PS3 level and I agree that graphics sometimes don't matter but still making their console into last gen and have others complaining about PS2 ports and blaming the devs. and I'm right that the Wii need a harddrive so that we could have Wii demos , heck we could of all been playing that brawl demo by now if its wasn't for nintendo for not putting in a harddrive. I'm not hating on the Wii cuz I own one.

puissance000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 puissance000
Member since 2003 • 1484 Posts
There is only one reason really... You guys keep purchasing the ports!
jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts
[QUOTE="zaku101"]

Jaysonguy

Again you are wrong, they make one and apply it everywhere, how are you not following that?

Not to mention he lives in the future apparently.

spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
who cares as long as they are decent games...