Should I give Pokemon Pearl another try?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

I love my DS and all the games I have on it, except for the game I bought the DS for in the first place- ever since I had heard abut Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, I had been pretty pumped up, since they sounded so much like Gold and Silver which are my favourite Pokemon games of all time. But when I started playing it, something just felt wrong. Pokemon Pearl could never pull me in like the previous titles had. For the first time in my life, playing Pokemon was a chore. I couldn't even finish Pokemon Pearl as the game never felt right. I think I won about seven gym badges.

Anyway, after consistent pestering from my brother, who seems to love it, I have tried no less than... um... four time to give the game another try. And I have always stopped playing it after reaching various points in the game. The farthest I ever could reach was hearthrome whereas once I actually shut it once I reached Sandgem Town.

But now, especially in light of the recently announced Pokemon G/S remakes (YEAH!!!!), I really do think I should give the game one final try because everybody seems to love it so much and I don't seem to understand what I am missing out on. I will confess one thing though- most of the times I played the game, I was never 'dedicated' to the game as you should be when you're playing a Pokemon title. As in, I was distracted and kept returning to other games, abandoning Pearl for great legnths of time.

What I want to know is, should I give Pokemon Pearl another chance? Do you reccomend that I play it again? And if I should, how do I play it so that I fall in love with it like everybody else so obviously is?

Please tell me your thoughts, I would really appreciate any help.

PS: I like Platinum a lot. I love it almost as much as Pokemon G/S/C. I just can't seem to like Pearl.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Wait I'm confused

You liked Platinum but not Pearl? They're the same game, Platinum is just a small upgrade. If you have Platinum there's really no need to play Pearl. The part where Pokemon games shine is its endless replay value after you finish the main story, if you have trouble getting through that I would pull yourself through it because the fun you'll have after will certainly make up for it.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Wait I'm confused

You liked Platinum but not Pearl? They're the same game, Platinum is just a small upgrade. If you have Platinum there's really no need to play Pearl. The part where Pokemon games shine is its endless replay value after you finish the main story, if you have trouble getting through that I would pull yourself through it because the fun you'll have after will certainly make up for it.

Erebyssial
Actually, I found Platinum to be a much better game than Pearl. And I don't know why, I thought it was quite different from Pearl too. The feel of Platinum was closer to G/S/C than Pearl. That is why I like Platinum better. So... you reccomend that I should play Pearl again?
Avatar image for Vyse-the-Legend
Vyse-the-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Vyse-the-Legend
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts

I've never played platinum but I'm assuming there would be no real reason to go back and play Pearl or Diamond if you have that game. And like previously mentioned the endless fun that usually comes in pokemon is raising your team and competiting against other people. The single player is usually never the best part of a pokemon game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
yes, it's awesome. play it again, and give more time to it.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

If you like Platinum and not Pearl then just stick to Platinum :?

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
If a video game is a chore and you have to "dedicate" yourself to play, is it really worth it? I guess if you found chores fun, but I for one don't get antsy with anticipation right before I wash my dirty underwear.
wiifan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 wiifan99
Member since 2009 • 401 Posts
Basically Platinum and Pearl are the same girl. Theirs no need to play both games. It is like beating the same game twice.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I know what you mean.

All of the games after G/S/C were the worst. Espically R/S/E. Seriously. Those things aren't even Pokemon anymore.

But why get Platinum? It's pretty much the same game.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

Well if you already have all the gym badges, might as well attempt to finish the game just for the sake of finishing it. I'm actually at the point where I do find it a chore as well. Am levelling up my Pokemon to take on the Final Four and it is dull...

Basically Platinum and Pearl are the same girl. Theirs no need to play both games. It is like beating the same game twice.wiifan99

This made me smile. I dunno if you meant it to be funny, but your analogy of them being the same girl , having no need to play both ( girls ) and then beating them up did make me laugh...:?