Should i get a Wii?? Honestly...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slytheraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slytheraven
Member since 2006 • 222 Posts

Well, I've been thinking about getting the Wii for months (i havent gotten it cause costco never has them in stock) but now im starting to think about putting the $340 (cost of the costco bundle) towards getting an even nicer computer for college (im going to college next year.. thats why i need to get a comp anyways)...  sooo... wii + okay computer OR great computer + no wii??

sorry if i put this on the wrong board

SEEN187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SEEN187
Member since 2006 • 275 Posts
Good computer,remember your education is first and trust me u dont want the OK computer crashing on you during an assignment.
m1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 m1993
Member since 2004 • 1167 Posts
i would say great computer + no wii because youre going to college, my bro (3rd year of college) has a ps2, but he doesnt have time to play it because he is studying and (he plays EQ2) usually is on the comp if you are planning on an easy major i would say get a wii + decent computer, then you will have time to play the wii, but right now the only awesome games are: TP, Gunstar Heroes, and warioware (if you have parties/lots of friends) i dont regret getting my wii, but for college a computer might be better... those are my 2 cents
Slytheraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Slytheraven
Member since 2006 • 222 Posts
yeah... and i also really like PC games... but im not sure how much i would like wii games seeing as ive never played one hahaa
cam2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cam2009
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
I came in here ready to convince you to get a wii at all costs, but I think good computer would be a better choice for right now. If you have a friend with a wii, go play it and see what you think. You'll probably want to get one a little later around christmas. but a nice computer is going to come in a lot more handy, especially at college. If you don't, you're going to end up surfing the web or playing games, pulling your hair out because you went cheap and it's not running smoothly.
ghostadv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ghostadv
Member since 2004 • 3080 Posts
Computer, although even if you weren't going to school soon, I'd say hold off on getting a Wii seeing how there isn't too much on it to go and get one. That and like you mentioned, they're still hard to find.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Unless you want to be stuck in the computer labs all day/night long, I'd recommend getting a PC over a Wii. If you decide to live in the dorms, it's likely that one of your dormates will own a Wii and be nice enough to share it with others.
AGM3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AGM3002
Member since 2003 • 901 Posts
Sure, get a wii. I did and having fun with it.
Leu-kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Leu-kun
Member since 2006 • 2712 Posts
I just got its one of the best decisions I made, two years saving money well spent :)
pinebark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 pinebark
Member since 2003 • 1501 Posts

Well, I've been thinking about getting the Wii for months (i havent gotten it cause costco never has them in stock) but now im starting to think about putting the $340 (cost of the costco bundle) towards getting an even nicer computer for college (im going to college next year.. thats why i need to get a comp anyways)... sooo... wii + okay computer OR great computer + no wii??

sorry if i put this on the wrong board

Slytheraven

Well, a laptop is better for school anyway, so I wouldn't say you need a great one. Because if you're trying to get a gaming system, you should get a desktop. I'd say go with a cheaper laptop and a Wii. Besides, the Wii is great for social gaming and if you live in residence it'll be some good times.

EDIT: Don't listen to people telling you that you need a good computer. Decent systems don't just collapse for no reason, do if you're smart and understand computers the only reason to have a top-end one is if you're playing games or doing intense video work.

Since it's going to be mostly for word processing, you could get by with a 90s Thinkpad if you had to. I did for the first few months of first year. 

HCanciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HCanciano
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts
This is a no-brainer... Get a Laptop. Laptop > any console... Plus, a laptop is it's own console.
barinelg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 barinelg
Member since 2003 • 674 Posts
In my opinion, it really depends on your major. If your are doing graphic/audio design, programming, or some computer heavy major, then the computer will be better for you to get. However, if you are only word processing, then a decent computer will do fine if you take good care of it. In general, a computer would do better for you since you will soon be heading to college, and if you do not think you would have enough money for both by the time college rolls around.
pball18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pball18
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts
If you have a hard major you prob wont have much time to play so I say good computer. I'm a biological sciences major and I play my wii maybe 4 hrs a week if Im lucky
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#16 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts

In my opinion, it really depends on your major. If your are doing graphic/audio design, programming, or some computer heavy major, then the computer will be better for you to get. However, if you are only word processing, then a decent computer will do fine if you take good care of it. In general, a computer would do better for you since you will soon be heading to college, and if you do not think you would have enough money for both by the time college rolls around.barinelg

agreed

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
As great as I think the Wii is, I think you should get a better computer because of your school work. School is more important than videogames. Also, think of it this way: If you get a great better computer and no Wii, you can always get a Wii later by saving up or something. If you get a worse computer, you'll probably be stuck with it for a while, and it might not be as good as it should be for your school work. If you get a bad computer, you might decide to get a better one later, and that means waiting even longer for the Wii.
skixwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skixwolf
Member since 2004 • 4013 Posts

I'll give you a hint;

If your grandmothers listening to the same music as you makes that music uncool, then why should video games be any different? ;)

dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dwells4life
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
Don't get the Wii. Especially since your going to college
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts

I'll give you a hint;

If your grandmothers listening to the same music as you makes that music uncool, then why should video games be any different? ;)

skixwolf
...what? When did listening to the same music as your grandmother become uncool? Also, what does this have to do with anything?
Superstrokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Superstrokey
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
Id say get the wii and a decent laptop, you will use your laptop for mostly notes so you dont really need anything crazy awesome for that. You can also use you wii for other things in university/college. Girls and have a good time are more than 1/2 of the university experience, anyone that tells you different is lying or wasted lots of their university time. I should know as i did it both ways lol.
SaliSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 SaliSB
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
Get one if you want.
x_cosmo_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 x_cosmo_x
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts
Get the wii when more come out...honestly I play my wii when friends come over....my 360 gets more play right now because not only I'm a pro gamer but because all I play on wii is Zelda and wii sports until more games release on the wii....the real reason I bought a wii is because I knew it would be hard to find, but I still wanted it. Get your laptop for now and get wii later, by the time you have the money to get the wii more will bee available and school over games any day....take it from me i'm in collage full time, have a full time job at Best Buy....and a pro gamer!!!
Lone_Wolf5860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lone_Wolf5860
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts
I would suggest getting the higher-end laptop. Although, there is still quite a bit of time before school starts up after the summer. If you bide your time and keep saving, you might have enough for a great computer AND a wii.
reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts

Do not get a Wii. Its just a 250$ brick.

Get a 360! (online, graphics, been out awhile so it has good games)

HolyCheesus

Don't post that here.

agentspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 agentspin
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

u should get a wii. i mean come on, u want to spend 400 for a game system tht looks lik a paper shredder(360) or a 600 game system that barely has any good games.

Lone_Wolf5860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lone_Wolf5860
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts

u should get a wii. i mean come on, u want to spend 400 for a game system tht looks lik a paper shredder(360) or a 600 game system that barely has any good games.

agentspin

Not only was this comment completely irrelevant to the subject matter, the typing was horrible. He is debating on whether to get a wii and a not-so-great laptop, or no wii and a great laptop - not on whether to get the wii, ps3, or xbox360. Read the actual topic before you post.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Get the Wii man.
IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
Get the Wii man.X360PS3AMD05
Wow, considering your name I was assuming you would say "The wii sucks, get a ps3 or 360" or something along those lines, boy was I wrong when I saw you say get the wii, but yes, you don't need an expensive, top of the line computer to do school work on, just make sure to check the computer out first and be sure you trust where it came from.
big_mak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 big_mak123
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

I'll give you a hint;

skixwolf
yea ummmmmmmmm u just confused alot