Seriously? Why do some people prefer Melee over Brawl?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bangaaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Bangaaslayer
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
I hated how in Halo 2 people would stand-by and hack the game. It took the fun out of it. In melee there are so many things that weren't meant to be in the gam, and yes I know Brawl has it's glitches too but none influence the game as dramtically as the glitches in melee. Brawl is smoother, some people may call it "A more noob-friendly melee" but that isn't true. It's an upgraded version of melee with most of the glitches fixed.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts
Becuase Melee was a much better game, Brawl was a let-down. What people see in the game, I'll never know.
dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts

I really like brawl, it is better than melee

but the online is like crap.

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

They're really both good games and I don't really have a preference. Although since everyone plays Brawl now that would be the only one I can play people in so I would prefer it but I find Melee to be the overall better game. Here's a copy of what I said in another topic:

It's hard to say, Brawl has much more content then Melee by far, but Brawl also has much more problems then Melee which has little to criticize. Melee gets far less complaints then Brawl and is the installment that made the series so popular and will probably be the only installment to be the best selling game on its respective console.

Melee was harder, Melee's break the targets and home run contest modes were better IMO, It had the trophy, Adventure Mode, and Event Matches thing first, and also had the alternate music on a stage thing which we all know became huge in Brawl.

Basically, every mode in Brawl is an expansion from Melee except for the Stage Builder, Smash Ball (Final Smashes were unbalanced), and Online (which is terrible) so I have to go with Melee for being more innovative for its time and also for perfecting its new additions better then Brawl did.

frostybro24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 frostybro24
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

besides the online, brawl is ten times better than melee

melee didn't have online, so don't complain about brawl's!

mushroom_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mushroom_kid
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts
I dont prefer melee over brawl, but melee was a huge step up from smash 64, while brawl wasnt nearly as big a step up from melee
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

The people who prefer brawl state it all in this thread and why they think that way.

www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26611748

Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts

besides the online, brawl is ten times better than melee

melee didn't have online, so don't complain about brawl's!

frostybro24

What he said.

To the TC, people are allowed to have there own opinion.
ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

Captain Falcon was nerfed in Brawl, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf as well.

Seriously why did 3 people essentially had the SAME FINAL SMASH.

It was to easy to get all the characters.

The single player mode, whatever it was called felt super "meh" the story was wack and the final stage was very very repetive.

Online is also meh, seriously only 2 minute matches?

and many many more things.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#10 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Because people are entitled into their ownoppinions
GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 GFahim
Member since 2006 • 798 Posts
its because of that 'nostalgia' BS i think
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
This is what it took to be good in Melee...and this is what it takes to be good in Brawl Melee offered more options to those who played to win. Brawl is, in fact, "A more noob-friendly melee". Please elaborate on the many glitches in Melee. Brawl has more glitches - yes I said it - and less balanced characters.
santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 santanablu3
Member since 2007 • 1467 Posts
do you really want to know why brawl sucks to many peoples opinions including myself? well first off brawl isn't at all that much different from melee. matter affect, its exactly the same just with bonus little features that most of us bother to use. the characters are slow,(well some of them) the online doesn't work,(super garbage)and the big flaw of the game is......Drum roll....... to much unnecessary stuff to extend gameplay value. they did it in melee but i wasn't that much of a problem. i hate stickers,sse, and um the trainning music for when waiting to play online with friends.
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
Brawl is better for four-player bouts, which, really, is how the game was intended to be played. A lot of people prefer Melee for competitive one-on-one games due to the inclusion of tecniques like wavedashing and L-cancelling, the comboing ability, the lack of tripping, and other reasons. Personally, I prefer Brawl for one-on-one games, too, since I find most of the "advanced tecniques" to be a hassle, and I like the character balance and variety in Brawl better.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZumaJones07
which, really, is how the game was intended to be played.Dr_Corndog
That statement is definitely wrong - well, okay, not entirely true.
LuLuClassiC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LuLuClassiC
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Like what Dr up there said,

when I first played brawl and saw that they got rid of L-cancelling,

I was immediately turned off. (I was practically like "you can't do anything!")

I think lot of the players [who used L-cancelling] felt the same way.

with L-canceling, you can do things like SHFFL, Wave Dash, and these

allow all sorts of attacks for different characters.

It's sort of like how in Mario Kart wii they try and limit players from doing snaking.

However, players have found all sorts of techniques for Brawl such as DAC, arrow-canceling and etc.

so I see no reason why advanced players would be turned off by Brawl anymore.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts

[QUOTE="Dr_Corndog"]which, really, is how the game was intended to be played.ZumaJones07
That statement is definitely wrong - well, okay, not entirely true.

you're right, it is wrong. No where does it state brawl should be played in any particular way. Play however you like.

BuryMe seems to have provided a good answer though. However, from a competitive and depth standpoint, it's factualy known brawl is worse than melee.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sonick54

It's sort of like how in Mario Kart wii they try and limit players from doing snaking.

However, players have found all sorts of techniques for Brawl such as DAC, arrow-canceling and etc.

LuLuClassiC

things like DAC and arrow canceling are character specfic though, meaning not everyone can perform it. Things like SHFFL, dash dancing ect could be performed by everyone in melee.

keep in mind it's not only the loss of advance tech that puts off tourney players, it's the lack of hitsun, making combos nonexistant, tripping, defense being broken, being slower than melee, edgeguarding being almost useless because you can auto grab the ledge now

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

LuLuClassiC

Whoa Brawl has advanced techs? What's DAC and arrow-canceling?

Oh and C-stick up dashing is another Brawl thing too right?

Oh and to the people who're saying Brawl wasn't "meant" to be played with 4 people. Well, the box doesn't actually say "recommended with 4 people," but it's a party fighting game, or a fighting party game (well, officially it's a fighting game but we all know it's like 1/4 party game), and party games are meant to be played with friends and other people. So he has a point there.

And I find it kinda funny how in tournaments Metaknight and Snake are so popular. Within my circle of friends, pretty much all of us said Metaknight sucked (well, not me. But when I tried playing with him I was pretty bad. I knew he had potential though). And pretty much same thing happened with Snake. But yeah that's kind off off-topic now.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

melee took some more skill there were more things to master like a regular broken fighting game brawl took did a really good job of removing those things and making it much less of traditional fighting game.

plus theres the tripping and how light every char is which annoys me

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

some reasons why I think brawl sucked compared to melee is because the new stages sucked, getting new characters is really easy compared to melee, I remember a lot of people didn't have mewtwo or mr game and watch, another bad thing about brawl is that getting all the stages is much easier, I still haven't unlocked all the stages in melee while unlocking them on brawl took me like a week, stickers are stupid, there are too many trophies (that might be something good but I don't like that) and the events where a piece of cake

somthing that I think why we might say brawl isn't as good as melee is because we've all grown up, when I was 10 I went to my friends house or they came to my house only to play videogames and we had a really good times, we played for hours but know when they come to my house or I go to their house it's usually only to drink or sleep because we are drunk, now the only videogames we play for more than 10 minutes are fifa and rock band, the last time we played brawl we got bored like in 10 minutes

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
The smash ball really throws the tempo off. And some of the new items aren't that great.
AdRock92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdRock92
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts
Brawl is better. Perhaps Melee was better for its time, but Brawl is the better game overall. I had listed a bunch of things Brawl improved over melee in another thread, so I don't feel like listing them all again. It improved comboing (by making them tougher to pull off and less cheap), wavedashing (by taking it out LOL), ledgegrabs, air dodging, perfect shielding, etc. If you need me to go on just ask.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
Brawl is a much better package overall, but Melee is a better game in general, if you know what I mean.Brawl has a huge soundtrack, tons of unlockables, achievements, etc. But Melee has better gameplay for the most part.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#25 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
I really don't know. For me Brawl is way better!
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZumaJones07
It improved comboing(by making them tougher to pull off and less cheap)AdRock92
lol... Brawl didn't improve comboing. Combos don't exist in Brawl and if one does get combo'd then it's because they don't know how to press the shield button. And what Melee combos were cheap may I ask?
wavedashing (by taking it out LOL)AdRock92
It wasn't taken out. Air dodging in Brawl was changed which essentially removed wavedashing. Now whether or not the reasoning behind changing the air dodge mechanic was to get rid of wavedashing is debatable. We'll never know because the same guys who changed it also put in tripping. :roll:
ledgegrabs, air dodging, perfect shielding, etc.AdRock92
Ledgegrabbing wasn't improved, it was noobafied. If you're not facing the ledge how the hell can you grab it? This new ledgegrab made Mario's cape useless. I was sad to find that out since I mained Dr. Mario in Melee. :( Air dodging and defense in general are broken in this game because it prevents true combos I realized I've been talking about Smash a lot lately :lol:
Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sonick54

[QUOTE="AdRock92"]It improved comboing(by making them tougher to pull off and less cheap)ZumaJones07
lol... Brawl didn't improve comboing. Combos don't exist in Brawl and if one does get combo'd then it's because they don't know how to press the shield button. And what Melee combos were cheap may I ask?
wavedashing (by taking it out LOL)AdRock92
It wasn't taken out. Air dodging in Brawl was changed which essentially removed wavedashing. Now whether or not the reasoning behind changing the air dodge mechanic was to get rid of wavedashing is debatable. We'll never know because the same guys who changed it also put in tripping. :roll:
ledgegrabs, air dodging, perfect shielding, etc.AdRock92
Ledgegrabbing wasn't improved, it was noobafied. If you're not facing the ledge how the hell can you grab it? This new ledgegrab made Mario's cape useless. I was sad to find that out since I mained Dr. Mario in Melee. :( Air dodging and defense in general are broken in this game because it prevents true combos I realized I've been talking about Smash a lot lately :lol:

you and me both dude :P

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
People like older games because that is what they have mastered. And once you master something why would you upgrade just so none of your mastery works anymore? That is why the older games get the respect... at least until the game is too old for anyone new to the gaming scene to care anymore. Personally I got sick of the fighting genre with Street Fighter 2 and can't figure out why anyone really keeps playing these. Of course that is the one I mastered and I don't feel like learning something new for the small amounts of gratification out of the same type of game.
SplashWarfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SplashWarfly
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts

Brawl has a completely different physics engine that is significantly slower than that of Melee. Sorry, but inspite of the glitches, I prefer Melee's faster paced gameplay.

And there's no Mewtwo or Fourside. The hell with that.

Bangaaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bangaaslayer
I'm sorry but if the publishers didn't intend it to be in the game then it shouldn't be there. Wave dashing wasn't purposely put into the game, or those other gimmicks. I enjoy how you don't have to do specific things just to be good in Super Smash Bros.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ZumaJones07
I'm sorry but if the publishers didn't intend it to be in the game then it shouldn't be there. Wave dashing wasn't purposely put into the game, or those other gimmicks. I enjoy how you don't have to do specific things just to be good in Super Smash Bros.Bangaaslayer
You still haven't specified what other gimmicks Melee had... Brawl has WAY more gimmicks than Melee did :? You enjoy the fact that you can press B and win? What you mean to say is that you're glad they lowered the gap between the best and the worst because you couldn't get the techniques down in the olden days so you could be as good as everyone else without much effort. Well you got what you wanted. Brawl.
Bangaaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bangaaslayer

[QUOTE="Bangaaslayer"]I'm sorry but if the publishers didn't intend it to be in the game then it shouldn't be there. Wave dashing wasn't purposely put into the game, or those other gimmicks. I enjoy how you don't have to do specific things just to be good in Super Smash Bros.ZumaJones07
You still haven't specified what other gimmicks Melee had... Brawl has WAY more gimmicks than Melee did :? You enjoy the fact that you can press B and win? What you mean to say is that you're glad they lowered the gap between the best and the worst because you couldn't get the techniques down in the olden days so you could be as good as everyone else without much effort. Well you got what you wanted. Brawl.

What are you talking about? The gap is still as big as it used to be. I respect your opinion but honestly when I say gimmicks I don't literally mean glitches or anything. I'm talking about wave dashing, L canceling, shield grabbing (Even though it's also in Brawl, just to name a few. I loved melee and still do but I see Brawl as a more polished version of melee. And yes some can consider it to be a more "Noob-friendly melee" but to me that opinion isn't completely right or wrong.

Bangaaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bangaaslayer
Just imagine back in the melee days it was way easier to 3 stock someone or to win a match when your 2 stocks down. In brawl once your two stocks down it's a sure loss.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZumaJones07

What are you talking about? The gap is still as big as it used to be. I respect your opinion but honestly when I say gimmicks I don't literally mean glitches or anything. I'm talking about wave dashing, L canceling, shield grabbing (Even though it's also in Brawl, just to name a few. I loved melee and still do but I see Brawl as a more polished version of melee. And yes some can consider it to be a more "Noob-friendly melee" but to me that opinion isn't completely right or wrong.

Bangaaslayer
How is being able to perform an advanced technique through practice and training a gimmick? Are you essentially saying that since you couldn't perform such techniques that they needed to be removed? No one is telling you to play that way. You've named only two "gimmicks" that Melee had. In Brawl you can DAC, double arrow, jump infinitely, zap jump, Chain grab someone for a zero to death combo with certain characters on certain stages, Wall tech (which was in Melee), 0-death chain grab with Ice Climbers, swallow people off the ledge with DDD, Kirby and Wario, short hop double laser with Falco, edgegaurd tether characters,, buffer your attacks, and so much more. These "gimmicks" are mostly character specific so certain characters will be losing before they even start playing. And I still believe Brawl to be noob-friendly. Did you see that vid of the Brawl match I posted? The Meta Knight in that video happens to be considered a "pro" and all he did was press B a lot. You couln't get away with spamming in Melee like you can in Brawl which leads me to say it's more noob friendly. You saying that they took out what made Melee a more advanced fighter also kinda says the same thing :? :lol: ...and don't get me wrong here, I love Brawl, but Melee was better.
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

Ok to put it in short, melee took tremedous skill to be good at while brawl doesnt at all. I get chills watching Hugs fight as i actually met him once.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjovwgLSmZ4

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts
...because it doesn't force a update on their consoles (3.3).
Bangaaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bangaaslayer

It's not that I couldn't wave dash. I would just get frustrated at the fact that by doing it I had a higher chance of winning rather than playing without it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Because the gameplay is better...?In my opinion,of course.
Bangaaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bangaaslayer
I loved Melee's fast pace but I learned to love Brawl's speed
Homeboy609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 Homeboy609
Member since 2003 • 83 Posts

At first i liked brawl since they got rid of all the techs, and i thought the characters were more balanced because my bowser has a great chance of beating a fox now. After a while and techs were found in brawl made the game possibly more broken than melee.

The gameplay is more slower, spamming moves can get you wins (ask Ike and Metaknight) , and the character skill range differs tremendously.

Brawl online sucks, no point to it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

I really like brawl, it is better than melee

but the online is like crap.

dtno132