Project H..A.M.M.E.R. could benefit from WM+

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

As a regular Wii game, Project H.A.M.M.E.R. could never have been that good control wise. All it would have been was sloppy input of left, right, up, and down motions with some slight delay.

With WM+ in the picture it would not need that at all. Whatever direction and angle the hammer is, you can swing it. Instead of a three or four animations for swinging, you would have a 360 degree range of swinging and the physics directions to match. If you it an enemy at an upward angle then he should be flying upwards. And despite most beat-em-ups ever made they could have a proper blocking system that relies on your reflexes and skills.

Here is what we have seen of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPhDqetz1k

Here is WM+ in living proof that it works well with similar gameplay:

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/867131/red-steel-project-untitled-sequel/videos/tgs09sny_redsteel2_gmp_off.html

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Misleading topic title...

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thedude-

Why?

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Why?

thedude-

Bad punctuation. Specifically, the lack of a comma after "Nintendo".

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Why?

thedude-

Change it to "Nintendo Needs to dust off Project Hammer, WM+ is here" lol anyway i agree. The game actually looks fun aswell as good. If im not mistaking there seems to be some bumpmapping on the ground aswell as other objects, and the lightmaps look great aswell. I cant believe i forgot about this game. what happened to it?

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

I don't think the game ever needed M+ imo. I think it needed a new art direction (a more mature theme) and it could've been Nintendo's God of War.

I see what you're saying, but the thing about M+ is that if you create a game that the player controls a weapon through motion, the camera is going to have to be fixed behind the character on screen, or in the first person mode like RS2.

RedSteel 2 works well because you don't have to animate the entire character, just his arm(s), weapons, and how they react while being used. If you give the player full control over how the character reacts on screen, there will be so many more animations, it would be insane. I don't think they would be willing to do so with a non-established franchise like Project HAMMER. Too risky imo.

Could you imagine playing an "over-the-shoulder" game like Resident Evil 4 and the character on screen had a huge sword (or in this case, a hammer) and the camera wasn't at least somewhat fixed? It would be a pain in the ass imo.

This is why Zelda Wii will have a fixed camera, and it will always be directly behind Link.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedude-

"Nintendo dust(s) off Project H.A.M.M.E.R."

Now I could see that as misleading.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Misleading topic title...

bob_newman
This. I came in here thinking Project Hammer was making a come back with MotionPlus.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bob_newman

thedude-
"Nintendo" can be plural, too.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
lol at the fact that nobody contributed anything to the topic, just got upset about the name
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redlightstudios

lol at the fact that nobody contributed anything to the topic, just got upset about the namegarrett_duffman

lol I DID!!!!

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

lol at the fact that nobody contributed anything to the topic, just got upset about the namegarrett_duffman

i did 2. dont forget about teh Painguy :P

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I guess this game could be sweet, and indeed Wii motion plus would help.. But it really don't look THAT compelling, I won't be heartbroken if this game never sees the light of day.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

wow I misread the Topic title. I thought Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was coming back for sure! now I'm just sad.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I didn't find topic misleading. Anyway I agree

What happened to it anyway? Was it cancelled or is it on hold.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Yeah why don't they? Maybe 'Hammer has been debunked as a poor premise for a video-game. Project SAW would be better.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Controls were not it's only problem. Gameplay sucked too.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bob_newman
I didn't find topic misleading.AmayaPapaya
That's because he changed it.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"]

bob_newman

And that is also looking way too much into it. You make it sound like I was making an announcement, but saying "Nintendo dust off Project H.A.M.M.E.R." does not even sound right as an announcement, but it does as a command.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="thedude-"]

thedude-

And that is also looking way too much into it. You make it sound like I was making an announcement, but saying "Nintendo dust off Project H.A.M.M.E.R." does not even sound right as an announcement, but it does as a command.

That's exactly how I read it. So did 3 or 4 others as well. You trying to tell me that all of us were "looking way too much into it"? I read things as they are presented, and you presented it in a misleading way. Intentional? No. Does it make a difference? No.
fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
your hammer needs will be satisfied with WiiDIY and zeldaWii will no doubt have a hammer like action somewhere
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thedude-
[QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="bob_newman"] "Nintendo" can be plural, too.

That's exactly how I read it. So did 3 or 4 others as well. You trying to tell me that all of us were "looking way too much into it"? I read things as they are presented, and you presented it in a misleading way. Intentional? No. Does it make a difference? No.

No I mean your looking way too much into something that has already been fixed. Sorry it was so misleading, but it also does not make sense the way you interpreted it.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bob_newman

it also does not make sense the way you interpreted it.thedude-

Yes it does.

"Nintendo dust off Project hammer"...

Now replace "Nintendo" with the proper plural and you get:

"They dust off Project hammer".

It makes perfect sense. Maybe you just don't get it...

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"]it also does not make sense the way you interpreted it.bob_newman

Yes it does.

"Nintendo dust off Project hammer"...

Now replace "Nintendo" with the proper plural and you get:

"They dust off Project hammer".

It makes perfect sense. Maybe you just don't get it...

Nintendo as a singular entity....

Even if it was in the plural it would make more sense to say, "They dust(ed) off Project H.A.M.M.E.R."

Again I am sorry it was misleading because I see how it looks, but now you are misleading my whole thread.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bob_newman

Nintendo as a singular entity*thedude-

*In America.

This forum isn't just for the US. The whole world comes here. Don't you see my point?

And if you just accepted that it was misleading and moved on this thread wouldn't have gotten derailed, but instead you kept arguing.

Fine, since I "mislead your whole thread" :roll:, I'll give my opinion.

Since day one I thought that game looked terrible. Not from a motion-control standpoint, but on the whole.

The gameplay looked uninspired and the artistic direction was bland. I would like to say that I was glad that they shelved it, but those resources went to Disaster, and we all know how that turned out.

I just wish they would've put that money to better use, because that team has nothing to show for themselves for the entirety of the Wii's lifecycle. Maybe it's for the best, I mean they are one of Nintendo's weaker dev teams.

It looked like a below-average game 4 years ago and it would look even worse now.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"]Nintendo as a singular entity*bob_newman

*In America.

This forum isn't just for the US. The whole world comes here. Don't you see my point?

And if you just accepted that it was misleading and moved on this thread wouldn't have gotten derailed, but instead you kept arguing.

Fine, since I "mislead your whole thread" :roll:, I'll give my opinion.

Since day one I thought that game looked terrible. Not from a motion-control standpoint, but on the whole.

The gameplay looked uninspired and the artistic direction was bland. I would like to say that I was glad that they shelved it, but those resources went to Disaster, and we all know how that turned out.

I just wish they would've put that money to better use, because that team has nothing to show for themselves for the entirety of the Wii's lifecycle. Maybe it's for the best, I mean they are one of Nintendo's weaker dev teams.

It looked like a below-average game 4 years ago and it would look even worse now.

It was misleading but not like "Pilotwings on Wii!!!" There was way more to it than that. It still sounds weird the way some of you interpreted it and that is part based on slight differences in regional grammar. Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was a demo, it was a concept, we never saw anything real. If they shelved the game due to development difficulties, I wish a game with a similar concept would be made. A beat em up at that speed of swinging is good for motion controls.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bob_newman

If they shelved the game due to development difficulties, I wish a game with a similar concept would be made.thedude-

They shelved it because they wanted to put the resources (aka manpower) towards Disaster. They obviously didn't have much interest in project hammer once they saw what it was.

A beat em up at that speed of swinging is good for motion controls.thedude-

If they could make a game that fans of beat em ups would enjoy, that's fine. But that demo was very underwhelming to me, even for a demo. I guess it also doesn't help that I don't much care for beat em ups/button mashers...

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"]If they shelved the game due to development difficulties, I wish a game with a similar concept would be made.bob_newman

They shelved it because they wanted to put the resources (aka manpower) towards Disaster. They obviously didn't have much interest in project hammer once they saw what it was.

A beat em up at that speed of swinging is good for motion controls.thedude-

If they could make a game that fans of beat em ups would enjoy, that's fine. But that demo was very underwhelming to me, even for a demo. I guess it also doesn't help that I don't much care for beat em ups/button mashers...

I do not like beat em ups much either but games like Madworld and Bayonetta have shown me that they can get past some inherent genre flaws.
its_a_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 its_a_username
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

lol am i the only 1 that didnt think the title waz misleading?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedude-

I don't think the game ever needed M+ imo. I think it needed a new art direction (a more mature theme) and it could've been Nintendo's God of War.

I see what you're saying, but the thing about M+ is that if you create a game that the player controls a weapon through motion, the camera is going to have to be fixed behind the character on screen, or in the first person mode like RS2.

RedSteel 2 works well because you don't have to animate the entire character, just his arm(s), weapons, and how they react while being used. If you give the player full control over how the character reacts on screen, there will be so many more animations, it would be insane. I don't think they would be willing to do so with a non-established franchise like Project HAMMER. Too risky imo.

Could you imagine playing an "over-the-shoulder" game like Resident Evil 4 and the character on screen had a huge sword (or in this case, a hammer) and the camera wasn't at least somewhat fixed? It would be a pain in the ass imo.

This is why Zelda Wii will have a fixed camera, and it will always be directly behind Link.

redlightstudios

It does not have to be as fixed as you say, but yes it would have to be third person view. Is that a problem though?

The characters are extremely cartoony and there are ways of making it somewhat fluid. Regardless there is going to be a certain amount of "twitch" factor, but nothing insurmountable.

It would have limitations on the camera, but it would probably be good for the game. Often fixed cameras do not work in games.

You have no idea what they will do with Zelda.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Very misleading title and a whole lot of mere speculation about how the game would handle without WM+
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thedude-
Very misleading title and a whole lot of mere speculation about how the game would handle without WM+Sepewrath
Um no by the time you got here it was not misleading at all.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Its still a misleading topic title at a glace. I don't see the neccesity for wording like that all. You simply could have said "Nintendo should bring back PH with WM+" simple as that. And on the actual topic, like I said, there is little indication of what they would have done with the game, WM+ is not a cure all. If the game ended up being sort of hack and slash(basically speedy combat) like it would be more WM+ powered waggle than anything else.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thedude-
Its still a misleading topic title at a glace. I don't see the neccesity for wording like that all. You simply could have said "Nintendo should bring back PH with WM+" simple as that. And on the actual topic, like I said, there is little indication of what they would have done with the game, WM+ is not a cure all. If the game ended up being sort of hack and slash(basically speedy combat) like it would be more WM+ powered waggle than anything else. Sepewrath
I am sorry it was so misleading. It did not seem misleading to me esp. when I put a big old comma there, but I am sorry how I wrote it. Apparently it was so devastating to some of you. It was a speculation thread, if you do not like that, I don't know what to tell ya. As I already explained with a regular Wiimote its just inputs with delay, sort of like sloppy buttons. With the ability to decide every angle of your hits and blocks, there is a whole new dimension of play and skill involved.
mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

Project SAW would be better.so_hai

redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 redlightstudios

lol

it's changed, nowcan we please get back to the discussion. It's honestly not that big've a deal

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="redlightstudios"]

lol

it's changed, nowcan we please get back to the discussion. It's honestly not that big've a deal

Did anyone notice how misleading the title was?
Avatar image for swrdof1000trths
swrdof1000trths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#38 swrdof1000trths
Member since 2006 • 7910 Posts
lol rabble rabble misleading topic title rabble rabble I'm a bit surprised anyone even remembers Project H.A.M.M.E.R.