Problems with downloaded games on my wii.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

I got some problems with some of my downloaded games for the wii. Some of them (mostly mario games) does work, however donkey kong and metroid doesn't work. The problem is that there's no picture in the games, however there's still sound.

1. It cant be the cable since some of the games does work.

2. I've tryed switching the resolution so that it might've been that, no luck.

3. I've tryed downloading deleting the games and download them again, no luck.

I got one thing I can come up with myself and that is to format the thing and hoping that any corruption on the system will be deleted as well. (?!) Other than that, I'm all empty for ideas..

Have you ever heard about this before or know a solution I might try before formating the bastard?

Gipma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gipma
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I'm having the exact same problem (in addition my TV gives a message "Invalid Format" suggesting it's something to do with the picture format conversion that must have to be done by the virtual console process Nintendo use to emulate the old console/s) A theory further backed up by the fact that when I use the Home button on the Wii remote, to get the remote menu up I can then see the menu (and behind it the paused game).

Interestingly, I know for a fact that when I originally downloaded these games (the ones that aren't working) they did work with no problems, it's only having come back to them again more recently that this has happened. Perhaps its down to actually down to a "recent" Wii software update.

I, like the original poster I'm sure, would love any help on this, has anyone seen a solution or an acknowledgement from Nintendo that this problem exists? The official Nintendo web site "support" has nothing on this, and no offcial forum to post to.

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts

I got some problems with some of my downloaded games for the wii. Some of them (mostly mario games) does work, however donkey kong and metroid doesn't work. The problem is that there's no picture in the games, however there's still sound.

1. It cant be the cable since some of the games does work.

2. I've tryed switching the resolution so that it might've been that, no luck.

3. I've tryed downloading deleting the games and download them again, no luck.

I got one thing I can come up with myself and that is to format the thing and hoping that any corruption on the system will be deleted as well. (?!) Other than that, I'm all empty for ideas..

Have you ever heard about this before or know a solution I might try before formating the bastard?

danish-death

Do not format if you do you will lose everything and will not have the abilty to re-download the games you have already paid for! Formatting the wii is only for when you are selling it. Once formatted all ties between your console and the wii shop are lost, so do not format. Call Nintendo the software update may have caused an Issue that can easily be fixed.

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts
I have used my Wii on two different TVs in my house both with component cables with a different result on each one being a relitivly cheap one that i purchaced as one just for playing games on, since it had both component and HDMI input and since it was fairly cheap I have no problems with that, only problem my Wii has with it is with certain virtual console games not displaying at all regardless of what setting it is at 50Htz, 60Htz or 480p and there is one Wii game that has trouble displaying Pokemon Battle Revolution which only displays properly at 50Htz as on other setting the screen flickers more. So for the VC games on this TV I tend to have to switch to composite which runs them all fine just the problem with component connection on certain ones. However on my much more expensive TV which is a Phillips one I have no problems at all displaying anything at 480p and VC games that don't display at that often get resized to the correct setting, so it may be more a problem with the TV not being able to accept the change in signal and just not beingable to do it, try changing over to composite and if the problem still occurs there is a problem with the game and if it works it is probably just the TV doesn't accept the signal well enough to resize it.
Gipma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gipma
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Found an email address to try, and just got a nice answer back so I thought I'd share it with you here...

Dear Mr @@@@@@, thank you for your email.

There can be an issue in rare instances of Virtual Console games not displaying picture on certain HDTV's. This is due to the fact that MegaDrive, NES and SNES titles output a non-interlaced video signal, just like the original hardware. N64 and Hudson titles use interlaced output. It seems likely that the cause of this problem is the fact that some HDTV's or projectors do not support non-interlaced signals when using a component cable.

To resolve this problem, Nintendo offer the following solution on VC games which are affected:

1. Go to Wii System Settings, Screen, TV Type, 60Hz (480i) on a European Wii with English language settings.
2. Start the Virtual Console title. Due to the game specification, you need to plug in the ****c Controller in the Player 1 Wii Remote in order to access the game. The screen should now be black. Press the Home button on the Wii Remote and access the manual page.
3. Unplug the ****c Controller and connect the Nunchuck to the Player 1 Wii Remote. Now its ready to switch between non-interlaced mode and interlaced-mode.
4. Disable non-interlaced mode by pressing "A" and "2" buttons on the Player 1 Wii Remote, and the "Z" button on the Nunchuck at the same time. You should now be able to see the game normally.
5. To switch back into the original settings: Enable non-interlaced mode by pressing "A" and "1" on the Wii Remote and the "Z" button on the Nunchuck at the same time.

Please note, this solution need only be done once, and will affect every game with the latest update offered by Nintendo. Some games do not currently have this functionality, but Nintendo are implementing the changes in all forthcoming titles, starting with the more popular titles first.

Kind regards,

Nintendo Service Centre

Nintendo Service Centre

dfodonovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dfodonovan
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm having the same problem with pacman. I would like to try the method above but I don't know what a ****c controller is
Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

It's classic controller.

Edit: I think :P

dfodonovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dfodonovan
so it's not the normal wii remote then? i have to buy 1?
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I don't think that you actually require a clas.sic controller. You do need a Nunchuck to enter the "Z" button but that's all
dfodonovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dfodonovan
i think u do need both according to this part of the email 3. Unplug the ****c Controller and connect the Nunchuck to the Player 1 Wii Remote
paul_the_ezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By paul_the_ezzy
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@danish-death: I just saw the same problem on my wii. Changing my wii TV settings to progressive fixed it. Hope this doesn't come too late (since your post was like 5 years ago!).

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#12  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@paul_the_ezzy said:

@danish-death: I just saw the same problem on my wii. Changing my wii TV settings to progressive fixed it. Hope this doesn't come too late (since your post was like 5 years ago!).

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but avoid bumping old threads. =D