Price Increase of games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Does anyone see a rise in the price of games anytime soon? I would really expect it, since the quality of a 3DS game has increased so much, in games like SSF43D, it could be raised to 45, maybe 50 dollars, the equivalent of a Gamecube game. I don't think it would make fiscal sense to a game developer to price a 3DS game equally to a DS game.

Sathnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sathnor
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

I doubt this is going to happen considering some people think the games are already too expensive.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
in the UK our biggest retailer GAME tried to price them equal to their console games but that back fired when people voted with their wallets and they where forced to reduce the price to compete with other retailers though to be fair the lower cost is roughly $50
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

I don't think that will happen. People are not willing to pay the same for a handheld (games) as a home console (game).

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#5 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i can see psp vita but not 3ds sorry , they are 1 gen behind and always will be for this reason

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Portable games should cost no more than $30.

It's already crazy with $40.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Will never happen - $40 is already too expensive for all but the most fantastic of games. The low price point of mobile gaming has got to be putting pressure on handheld games too.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

That's why they are $5 more than DS games, for the most part. If they didn't raise prices for Zelda, they won't for anything else

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
Weren't DS games worth 30-35 dlls in some cases? I can see the price increase since production costs more but anything more than 40 dlls would be too much for a portable game.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Rod90

Why is it crazy to charge 40 when the game costs millions to make?

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts

[QUOTE="Rod90"]

LaytonsCat

A. You say that as if they spend millions of dollars per game and only get a total of $40 back B. Not all games cost millions to make
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

[QUOTE="Rod90"]

GAMESHARQ

A. You say that as if they spend millions of dollars per game and only get a total of $40 back B. Not all games cost millions to make

Most games cost between 500k to 1.8 million to make for DS/3DS.

It's a fair and good price, it's been like this for years and no one really wants to see change.

If you think that's too expensive for them just cause their handheld games, you should get that out of your head. If the game is worth $40 its worth $40 no matter which way you look at it.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

They're not going to raise prices. I wish people would look back at patterns in the past and realize Nintendo never raises prices after they set the highest one, which is normally one of the launch games. They only go down or stay the samedepending on the dev and quality of the game. The only exception to this would be a game with accesories, like Guitar Hero, Wii Fit, etc.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"][QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

darth-pyschosis

It's a fair and good price, it's been like this for years and no one really wants to see change.

If you think that's too expensive for them just cause their handheld games, you should get that out of your head. If the game is worth $40 its worth $40 no matter which way you look at it.

That's the point. Currenty what 3DS games are worth $40 to you?
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
Most games cost between 500k to 1.8 million to make for DS/3DS.darth-pyschosis
You just proved my point.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

Rod90
I think the same.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

It better not, handheld games are the worst priced. Especially nintendo games that never drop in price. A lot of the games that come out are hardly worth the $40 or $30 price.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

It better not, handheld games are the worst priced. Especially nintendo games that never drop in price. A lot of the games that come out are hardly worth the $40 or $30 price.

tutt3r
I didn't play all the DS games, but I get the feeling that most DS games in the past weren't very long. Is OoT for 3DS much longer? Also, the graphics now for the 3DS are better than the DS's (Obviously), but maybe we should think about how it takes more to make games now for the 3DS, due to graphics and gameplay length than it does to make a DS game.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

[QUOTE="tutt3r"]

hydralisk86

I didn't play all the DS games, but I get the feeling that most DS games in the past weren't very long. Is OoT for 3DS much longer? Also, the graphics now for the 3DS are better than the DS's (Obviously), but maybe we should think about how it takes more to make games now for the 3DS, due to graphics and gameplay length than it does to make a DS game.

OoT is a very long game and actually worth the price of $40 (unless your one of the many that played it to death). The launch games like Super monkey ball 3d, pilot wings 3d, etc. all were priced at $40 but was only worth $20 with the content. I don't mind paying a bit more if the 3D development costs are high, but I want to see a lot more gameplay for what I pay

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"] A. You say that as if they spend millions of dollars per game and only get a total of $40 back B. Not all games cost millions to makeRod90

That's the point. Currenty what 3DS games are worth $40 to you?

Super Street Fighter IV, Rayman 3D, Ghost Recon Shadows Wars, DOA: Dimensions, Splinter Cell 3D, OOT and RE:Mercs.

We aren't talking about games failing to live up to their costs, the games should cost $30-$40 because of what it costs to make them

Run a business guys, it isn't that hard to understand. If you aren't prepared to pay these prices and search for the games that do justify new retail prices then get out of gaming.

A good game, lets say a 7.5 on gamespot. Good by all means, flawed, but very enjoyable.

Let's say it costed 1.5 million to make. Let's say it sells 50,000 copies. It's sold for $30 per copy new. That's only 1.5 million dollars. That's just development. They need to pay for their staff, marketing, testing, and so many other things (manufacturing) and also pay money to Nintendo for every copy sold. That good game will never get a sequel at that rate.

Now, let's say it sells 50,000 again, a budget of 1.5 million, and it costs $40 per copy. That's $2 million. Only a little bit over there budget and that doesn't nessecarily mean 500K in profit at all.

What I'm saying is: It costs a lot to make these games, they need to set an acceptable price that realistically can't net them a profit even in the bleakest sale scenarios. And even then simply breaking even isn't enough, they need to reap in the money. If they barely break even, where does the money come from to make the next game?

I feel bad when people say $30 is too much for handheld games. These people are the reason Okamiden is selling even worse than Okami and will likely be the last Okami game ever, even with the lower DS development costs.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

We aren't talking about games failing to live up to their costs, the games should cost $30-$40 because of what it costs to make them

darth-pyschosis

They don't cost that much to make, though. DS games average $300k to develop.

Given the hardware, 3DS games likely won't be much more expensive to develop than DS games. At their most expensive, DS games cost 6 times less to make than equivalent 360/PS3 games (at worst, an incredible thirty five times less).

Yet for consumersthe games cost only one and a half times less on handhelds than consoles. It's a massive difference and more than a little insulting.