Pikmin 3 Review - IGN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/pikmin-3-review

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts
Sweet score. "It's over too soon". Hmm. Pikmin 2 was filled with content. I hope this one isn't different.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#3 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Great stuff!

Maybe I just suck at Pikmin, but I found the second one to be quite challenging. If this one is as hard as that one, then I will be happy and occasionally frustrated. :P

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 MayorJohnny
Member since 2003 • 7838 Posts
Very excited!! :D
Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll be getting this. I'm still only part way through Pikmin 2 (Wii version), which I'm liking but am stuck on currently.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

By far the best part of this review is in the comments section:

faithb4fear

"Can you just imagine what a master piece this game would be if Sony made it ?"

nerazzuro

"Absolutely.
We'd get some cinematic storyline about Olimar's inner struggles as he sends pikmin to their demise. There'd be hours of character development and the barebones gameplay would exist as nothing more than a vehicle to push the story along.

IGN would throw around terms like "Oscar worthy" and likely give it 9.5 to 10.

We'd then play it and realize that the story is B movie crap, and wonder where the hell the level design team's heads were during development, or if a team ever existed.

Oh, it'd also be recognized as a mature game about canobilism and survival, and the Ps3 editors would write constant introspective articles about it because let's face it- they secretly always wanted to review movies. Sony fans would lap it up.

And the world would keep on turning."

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
This isn't system wars. Keep that crap there.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I read the review.  Enjoyed it.  Thought the reviewer and the score were both fair.  It's just fanboyism to angrily react to anything below a 9 or to suggest that because the Wii U had no games for 10 months that it's first big title is entitled to higher rating.

Bioshock Infinite and Portal 2 for example, get a pass because they are story-driven, however 10 hours is a bit short for a gameplay-based campaign which is supposed to be based on exploration.

Avatar image for GlitchOnMyLevel
GlitchOnMyLevel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GlitchOnMyLevel
Member since 2013 • 136 Posts
I want online co-op =/
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

miyamoto tried to incorporate online but it wasn't working well so they cancelled it.

for the next pikmin, however, i expect it.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I really don't understand this part "Its over too soon?" Pikmin 2 was a really long game so I don't see how this one is any shorter, unless well it is...
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Looks great! August can't come soon enough.

SuperXShnaayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 SuperXShnaayin
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

So, i want to start by saying that i grew up on Nintendo games. I did however go with the Xbox 360 for most of the last generation, and I switched to PC at the tail end. Nintendo has actually regained my trust with the Wii U (I do not own one but I hope to get one sometime in this generation) and the games seem like they will be pretty good.

Anyway, I have never played a Pikmin game, and this game has me interested, so I want to get your guys opinions on it. Is the Pikmin series a series worth playing?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

So, i want to start by saying that i grew up on Nintendo games. I did however go with the Xbox 360 for most of the last generation, and I switched to PC at the tail end. Nintendo has actually regained my trust with the Wii U (I do not own one but I hope to get one sometime in this generation) and the games seem like they will be pretty good.

Anyway, I have never played a Pikmin game, and this game has me interested, so I want to get your guys opinions on it. Is the Pikmin series a series worth playing?

SuperXShnaayin

Yes, it's a series that's worth playing. They're really fun games. Try to seek out Pikmin 1&2 for GC or Wii, but if you don't have any luck(or if the asking price is too expensive), you could run them on the Dolphin emulator.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

Having not played previous Pikmin game, is there a connection story wise that would be missing if I just started with 3?

There are so many games its hard to keep up with them all as it is.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

Having not played previous Pikmin game, is there a connection story wise that would be missing if I just started with 3?

There are so many games its hard to keep up with them all as it is.

Lach0121
No. Each game can be played independently from another. You should pick up the other 2 though.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

SuperXShnaayin
It depends. It's certainly not a game for everyone. Watch some gameplay videos and see for yourself whether it's something you'd be interested in.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

people in the Uk can get pikmin 3 today!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/uk_gamers_can_download_pikmin_3_now_by_picking_up_a_code_from_game

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
^Lucky!