PC Gamer + new Wii gamer perspective

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psilocybn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 psilocybn
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts

Wii seems like the perfect console fit for a PC gamer.

I wasn't expecting much in the way of graphics, since I'm used to running PC games at 1920x1200.

I picked up Mario Galaxy and Mario Smash and like them both. (along with wii sports)

My only wish for 2009 is that Nintendo loses all the text **** Why the hell can't they get some good voice actors in there?

I almost made the mistake of getting Zelda: Twilight until i noticed that it required hitting the A buttom 1 billion times to get through text.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#2 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
I used to be a PC gamer, but I've since abandoned that platform for consoles. I prefer to play games in my living room on a machine that I know will run the software perfectly without installation etc. My memory of Twilight (and I have beaten it) is not the reams of text, but the tricky dungeons. Voice-acting is not a priority for Nintendo it seems - I think they like to keep everything as simple as possible.
Archangel_2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 147

#3 Archangel_2309
Member since 2008 • 289 Posts
I prefer the PC honestly, but the Wii is a fun alternative at times. And even if there was voice acting in Twilight Princess, that wouldn't make the scenes faster. It would probably slow them down even. The beginning cutscenes were hell to go through, what I ended up doing was holding on to the Wiimote and mashing "A" over and over while I made a sandwich. Snacks make cutscenes go so much faster.
tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
PC=Wii? What the heck? I would never, ever have thought of that. And you really shoud have got Twilight, as it is a masterpeice.
tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
I prefer the PC honestly, but the Wii is a fun alternative at times. And even if there was voice acting in Twilight Princess, that wouldn't make the scenes faster. It would probably slow them down even. The beginning cutscenes were hell to go through, what I ended up doing was holding on to the Wiimote and mashing "A" over and over while I made a sandwich. Snacks make cutscenes go so much faster.Archangel_2309
Too right, I learned that with MGS4.
Archangel_2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel_2309
No offense dude, but try to avoid double posting. Go back and edit your post to add in information if you have to.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel_2309"]I prefer the PC honestly, but the Wii is a fun alternative at times. And even if there was voice acting in Twilight Princess, that wouldn't make the scenes faster. It would probably slow them down even. The beginning cutscenes were hell to go through, what I ended up doing was holding on to the Wiimote and mashing "A" over and over while I made a sandwich. Snacks make cutscenes go so much faster.

You know that the point of dialog is to read it and understand it, yes? :P

Archangel_2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel_2309
I did the first time around just to get the story. But after I started my second game, and then my friend started a game, and then I started a game at my friends house, I'm pretty sure I knew the story well enough to skip it for a sandwich ^_^
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GabuEx

I did the first time around just to get the story. But after I started my second game, and then my friend started a game, and then I started a game at my friends house, I'm pretty sure I knew the story well enough to skip it for a sandwich ^_^Archangel_2309

Ah, well that's different then.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
PC=Wii? What the heck? I would never, ever have thought of that. tktomo01
The Wii is the perfect console for the PC gamer because it offers a different experience. Many of the stuff found on the other console are done better on the PC.
DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts
I'm a PC and Wii guy myself. I just feel that there's no point in getting a PS3 or XBox360 if I already have a PC.
Archangel_2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel_2309
PS3 has so few first party titles, you can get almost all games for it on PC. Same with 360, since Microsoft is a computer company. The Wii is the only console with games you can't get on the computer. I suppose that's why it would appeal more to a PC gamer.
mutantmagnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mutantmagnet
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

PS3 has so few first party titles, you can get almost all games for it on PC. Same with 360, since Microsoft is a computer company. The Wii is the only console with games you can't get on the computer. I suppose that's why it would appeal more to a PC gamer.Archangel_2309

Pretty much this though I dislike how the Wii almost hadn't gotten any type of game like Gears or Valhalla Knights developed for the console besides No MOre Heroes and Metroid.

In 2009 I'm looking forward to offbeat titles like Endless Ocean 2 and Job Island:Hard Working People.

But the only games out there with an aesthetic that involves more realistic violence, an art direction that can't be described as overly childish and quality voice acting and music direction with potentially solid gameplay design are Tenchu 4, Kizuna, Fatal Frame 4 and The Conduit.

After seeing the a playthrough of the Conduit's first level it looks it will have a disappointing single player campaign. Half Life and Bioshock 1st levels are miles ahead. Heck Tenchu's 1st level was also miles ahead of The Conduit and I regarded it as a potential launch buy. Fatal Frame 4 has issues in terms of an unintuitve design but I don't think it will be bother me as much as others.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Yeah, I actually am a PC and Wii gamer. It's a perfect match, though I'm having way too many problems with my PC and might get a 360 some day.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
I'm a PC and Wii guy myself. I just feel that there's no point in getting a PS3 or XBox360 if I already have a PC.DS_Lightning21
Then why get a Wii? With a bluetooth adapter and a little computer know how you could have just purchased a wiimote and nunchuck and used it to play pc games.
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
[QUOTE="psilocybn"]

I almost made the mistake of getting Zelda: Twilight until i noticed that it required hitting the A buttom 1 billion times to get through text.

Twilight Princess is an amazing game. Buying it would absolutley not be a mistake.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel_2309"]PS3 has so few first party titles, you can get almost all games for it on PC. Same with 360, since Microsoft is a computer company. The Wii is the only console with games you can't get on the computer. I suppose that's why it would appeal more to a PC gamer.mutantmagnet

Pretty much this though I dislike how the Wii almost hadn't gotten any type of game like Gears or Valhalla Knights developed for the console besides No MOre Heroes and Metroid.

In 2009 I'm looking forward to offbeat titles like Endless Ocean 2 and Job Island:Hard Working People.

But the only games out there with an aesthetic that involves more realistic violence, an art direction that can't be described as overly childish and quality voice acting and music direction with potentially solid gameplay design are Tenchu 4, Kizuna, Fatal Frame 4 and The Conduit.

After seeing the a playthrough of the Conduit's first level it looks it will have a disappointing single player campaign. Half Life and Bioshock 1st levels are miles ahead. Heck Tenchu's 1st level was also miles ahead of The Conduit and I regarded it as a potential launch buy. Fatal Frame 4 has issues in terms of an unintuitve design but I don't think it will be bother me as much as others.

Valhalla Knights is comming to the Wii (end of this year or early next from what I understand, but I may be way off). I do think The Conduit looks cool as well (never got in to Half Life and never even looked in to Bioshock), but I hope it's better than Doom 3. I found Doom 3 extremely booring -- way too repetitive -- but that may be because I prefer outdoor envirnments to indoor environments. I think the Conduit will be fine. I also think PC and Wii is the way to go, but if the 360 had Wii controllers, I may have gone a different direction. I don't really care for too many exisitng Wii exclusives, but I love the controls and the exclusives comming in the next year or so are more to my liking. Too bad the controllers on the 360 are so bad with the type of games the unit is popular for.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="alphamale1989"][QUOTE="psilocybn"]

Twilight Princess is an amazing game. Buying it would absolutley not be a mistake.

I couldn't get in to it. Seemed like an action adventure trying to come off as an RPG (is this what a JRPG is?). I hate cut scenes -- especially ones you can't skip.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GabuEx

Seemed like an action adventure trying to come off as an RPG (is this what a JRPG is?).psychobrew

No, a JRPG is a Japanese RPG, as differentiated from WRPGs (Western RPGs).

mutantmagnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mutantmagnet
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

Well he was asking if JRPGs stylistically speaking are Action/Adventure games with continual advancement through items.

I think that's an unfair criticism. Loz TP plays just like the last Zelda games I played on the nes and snes but in 3d so the exploration aspect now involves the Z axis and the combat forgoes the god eye vision of 2d gaming.

The cutscenes can't be skipped but half are don't even touch 20 seconds. The other longer ones were like 2 minutes at best.

I misspoke earlier because I had just read up a bit about Valhalla Knights. I meant to say Valkyira Chronicles. Besides I see Monster Hunter 3 as the rpg to look out for in 2009. It looks like a really good compormise on some of the design issues I see with MMORPGs.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I'm myself a Wii/PC gamer. I was mostly a GameCube and PC gamer last gen with a PS2 at 1 time. Infact, I can tell I was a PC gamer since the late 90s.

I want to have a new computer very soon and make an account to Steam. Dlablo 3 is coming soon. I really need to play the game. That's the only WRPG I can get into. With what's coming on Wii in 2009 and beyond and a new PC, I won't need something else soon.

The PS3 only has Little Big Planet and White Night Chronicles and Final Fantasy Versus 13 that interest me and the 360 has the XBLA, Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia. As a JRPG fan, I don't even give a crap about Final Fantasy 13.

Archangel_2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel_2309

I'm myself a Wii/PC gamer. I was mostly a GameCube and PC gamer last gen with a PS2 at 1 time. Infact, I can tell I was a PC gamer since the late 90s.

I want to have a new computer very soon and make an account to Steam. Dlablo 3 is coming soon. I really need to play the game. That's the only WRPG I can get into. With what's coming on Wii in 2009 and beyond and a new PC, I won't need something else soon.

The PS3 only has Little Big Planet and White Night Chronicles and Final Fantasy Versus 13 that interest me and the 360 has the XBLA, Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia. As a JRPG fan, I don't even give a crap about Final Fantasy 13.

chris3116
I use steam myself. All I have on there right now though is Half Life 2 Gmod, and Counter Strike Source. I need to get some cash and get more games, and a better computer. I've never been much of a Final Fantasy enthusiast, but I've played all the originals on the SNES and (obviously) the seventh one. I also watched Advent Children because my friend taped me to his computer chair. But I never did get into the new titles like XII.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
[QUOTE="DS_Lightning21"]I'm a PC and Wii guy myself. I just feel that there's no point in getting a PS3 or XBox360 if I already have a PC.webbut
Then why get a Wii? With a bluetooth adapter and a little computer know how you could have just purchased a wiimote and nunchuck and used it to play pc games.

It's the different types of games that are on the Wii that he wants to play, not playing different kinds of games with the Wii controller.
sticky5fingaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 sticky5fingaz
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts
EXACTLY. except it was vice versa for me. I started playing PC games after i played wii, but it's still a perfect mix. I don't hate 360 or PS3, more so 360, but the reason why I think it's stupid to get one instead of wii is because every good game on 360 you can get a better version of on PC. And yes, 360 has Halo, but PC has many more exclusive games that are better than Halo. PS3 has NOTHING imo. Wii has a wide library of console exclusive games that are great. PC +Wii = gamer's paradise.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

psilocybn
This has to be the worst excuse I've ever seen not to pick a game up. Whoever has convinced all those people games have to have voice acting should be hunted down.
Sw33t_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sw33t_D
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts
The problem is that the PC gets outdated after a year but the ps3 and xbox360 will be good for roughly 10 years. Like now with my PC i cant run half the ps3 and 360 games so i feel im still losing out on all the great games. And all though the wii is innovative I find it a bit overrated (yes i have one).
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

It is a little anoying at times when we've had v/a for quite some time now. I hope they do start adding it to their games soon.

I'm a little scared at times too. It seems that when Nintendo tries something they aren't used to, it can be either "meh" or "terrible". I have faith though. V/A is just like any part of the game...it takes time. DO IT RIGHT!

Archangel_2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archangel_2309
The problem is that the PC gets outdated after a year but the ps3 and xbox360 will be good for roughly 10 years. Like now with my PC i cant run half the ps3 and 360 games so i feel im still losing out on all the great games. And all though the wii is innovative I find it a bit overrated (yes i have one).Sw33t_D
Invest in a PC upgrade? You can build your own PC for the cost of a brand new 360 and three games, with the capability of playing most of the new, higher-quality games. That's a lame excuse, you're just being lazy. The potential of the PC surpasses any console to date. You can get pretty much all of the 360 games and the majority of the PS3 games, play them on your PC, and save some money in the long run.
DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts
Exactly. The Wii has a lot of fun and unique exclusive titles like Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Fit that are just not possible on PC. Even if the PC comes out with a Wiimote knockoff, not many PC games would utilize it.
Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

The motion and pointer can enhance various genres enjoyed by PC gamers there's the added advantage that you wont have to upgrade (much) and the fast paced games PC gamers enjoy can run on Wii in some form. The reality is that publishers refuse to do it for the failures of the piddly half baked few they have rushed out.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
I'm a PC and Wii gamer myself. My pc is quite old, it's still okay for sth like Warcraft 3 and GTA:San Andreas, but thats the highlight (graphics-wise). I enjoy playing my Wii because it offers a lot of different game compared to the PC games. I'm currently thinking about getting a new Pc though, mainly because of GTA 4 and also games like FarCry2, Assasin's Creed, Mafia2 etc.
dla321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dla321
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I agree it is a great combo. I am a lifelong pc gamer. I picked up a PS3 last year to play in the living room thinking my wife and kids would take an interest in it. I love my PC & PS3 games, but I am the only one who plays either on a regular basis. We visited a cousin over the holidays and everyone spent the entire day playing on the Wii, so we picked one up yesterday.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Ok. You are expressing your opinion and all that and that's fine but how can you complain about the way in which the storyline is displayed to the gamer? Text has been and always will be used. It's such a simple concept.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
[QUOTE="webbut"][QUOTE="DS_Lightning21"]I'm a PC and Wii guy myself. I just feel that there's no point in getting a PS3 or XBox360 if I already have a PC.nintendofreak_2

It's the different types of games that are on the Wii that he wants to play, not playing different kinds of games with the Wii controller.

There no type of game that is limited to the wii even Ign's GOTY World of Goo is out for the pc the only game expernces u really cant get anywhere else is brawl and galaxy
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
To discuss the Wii and PC in the same thread, please go to System Wars. Thanks.