Old Do I need a case and/or screen protector?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grarap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 grarap
Member since 2004 • 5780 Posts
Hey all. Before I take the plunge and buy a delicious Lime Green DS, can you guys advise me as to whether I need any accessories for the console, as they often add considerable expense to the overall purchase. Are any cases particualy reccomended, and are screen protectors necessary? I've heard that the screen can scratch easily, but I know that some electronic devices come ready-packaged with plastic films covering their screens that can function as well as retail protectors as long as you dont remove them.
Cesium-133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Cesium-133
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

As long as you don't plan carrying it around open in the same pocket as your keys, a screen protector isn't really necesarry. Besides, it all just depends on the kind of person you are. If you know you're someone who's carefull with his stuff, don't buy and and vica versa. I can tell you tho that I've been playing on my DS for 1.5 years now and the screen hasn't got a single scratch.

I will however warn you for certain carying cases as their holders might scratch the outer side of your DS. But that's just cosmetic.

daruniaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 daruniaz
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
I don't quite agree with that, cause it depends on what games you play. After playing a lot of puzzle and rpg games, my screen is really **** up. It got lots and lots of scratches, so I recommend buying a screen protector.
In my case, I've got this DS bag very late and the DS is all messed up, so I'm gonna buy a Lite next week. I think I'll be more careful then before while using my DS Lite.
Pinefoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Pinefoll
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts
Hey all. when I take the plunge and buy a delicious Lime Green DS, can you guys advise me as to whether I dont reccomended, and are stilese I've heard that the screen can scratch easily, but I know that some electronic devices come ready-packaged with plastic films covering their screens that can function as well as retail protectors as long as you dont remove them.grarap
BelmontV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 BelmontV
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

I reccomend a case, screen protectors aren't bad, but after you remove them (in my experience), the border is left with sticky remains from the screen protector's attaching sticky-glue. If you don't mind cleaning it up (for a while) after removing the screen protectors (and their annoying air bubbles once you have them in place), then you should buy a screen protector (pretty good for the bottom screen, but not much for the top screen).

I prefer a case so I can carry it in my pockets confortably (reassured that its not getting scratched or anything) and then take it out of the case (carefully) when I want to play it, its a win-win situation. I reccomend the case.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I reccomend a case, screen protectors aren't bad, but after you remove them (in my experience), the border is left with sticky remains from the screen protector's attaching sticky-glue.BelmontV
What protectors were you using? I have Nyko ones and they use static to stick to the screen, no glue.
flowerpedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flowerpedal
Member since 2006 • 570 Posts
i would get a case for sure. The outside of the ds is not that strong. Screen protectors are more optional but i would get one anyways cuz it feels better that the screen is protected.
laser-pointer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 laser-pointer
Member since 2008 • 584 Posts
U should definately get a screen protector for the bottom sreen.
BelmontV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BelmontV
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

Oh, in that case the screen protectors would still be a good choose, but I stick by my choice of the case because of its more usable features. If you put your DS in your pocket and go jumping around and such (or accidentally your pockets brush/hit agains something, it may scratch/hit the DS a bit, while if you have a good carrying case (check if they sell them with good screen protectors) then you can go by your business knowing the DS is well protected. And then take it out when you're going to utilize it.

ALSO: If you use the stylus a bit forcefully, then consider purchasing a screen protector for the bottom screen.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Screen protectors are like seat belts

Not a single good reason NOT to use then and hopefully you'll never need to have them save you

lord_bobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lord_bobert
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts
unless your as clumsy as urkel youl be fine
Coyote_292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Coyote_292
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

I'd Definately recommend getting the screen protector. Get a good one and put it on carefully - it can last months. (mine have averaged about 6-8 months)

(Yes - I do actually use my DS!)

Case is optional - I don't use one myself and it hasn't been an issue so far (1.5 years - no damage) but I don't toss it around either.....

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#13 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
I use them because I don't want worries, I generally say it's good to have one, especially if you play games that you're gonna find yourself using the touch screen harshly.
gamer_sammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamer_sammy
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts
i would get a screen protector, i've changed mine serveral times because it has been scratched, it is a good investment to keep your ds from scratches. i would get a case first though so that when you carry it around in your bag, it will be protected and not get scratched. sorry i'm a bit of a perfectionist, all my electronics have cases and screen protectors =P