Okami .vs. Twilight Princess

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm starting to get far enough into Okami where I feel I can judge it against Zelda: Twilight Princess, so I'm wondering which one you guys think is better. I'm sort of torn. They both have their pros and cons.

For instance, Okami easily trumps TP in terms of art design, overworld design, personality, gameplay outside of dungeons in general. I also think it has a more entertaining story and better dialogue. It's also funnier.

On the other hand, Twilight Princess absolutely crushes Okami in terms of dungeon design. While I do enjoy Okami's dungeons, they are not as cleverly designed, they are not as meaty, the puzzles are not as dynamic, etc. They're just not as satisfying or as well-designed and they don't use your equipment (which would be the brush techniques) nearly as cleverly as TP does.

I think Okami's combat is a little more interesting due to the brush techniques, but I don't like how the game boxes you into these little combat zones and puts a ranking screen at the end of the fight. I feel like this breaks up the immersion as do the numerous loading screens.

Twilight Princess is rather easy compared to Ocarina and Majora's Mask, but it's much more challenging than Okami due to more sophisticated, fleshed out dungeon designs.

All in all, I think TP has a sturdier design while Okami is more inspired. I'd give both games a 9.5 and I'd probably give TP the slightest edge, and some of that edge probably is due to me being a Zelda fanboy. Okami is definitely noticeably superior in many areas.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
someone just finished watching the new Storm review, am i rite? :P
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

someone just finished watching the new Storm review, am i rite? :PBrunoBRS

What is the new Storm review?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]someone just finished watching the new Storm review, am i rite? :PGreySeal9

What is the new Storm review?

this. (note: some stuff might seem stupid if it's the first time you're watching storm)

at the end of the video he makes this exact question, and then mockingly says "i choose to avoid this question" :P

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Okami felt like more of a special game. Twilight Princess was a good, but generally done before type of Zelda game.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#6 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
I've said it countless times, but Okami. In every way, Okami.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Okami, TP was just bland

antiredcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 antiredcap
Member since 2007 • 1757 Posts

I love both equally

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Heart both. :oops:

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Twilight Princess is one of the best games ever made. Okami is really good too, but as near as good as Zelda TP.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Okami but not by much, the dungeons are not that great

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Okami. It was a mind-blowing epic game. Twilight Princess to me, was a disappointment. TP started of really good but somewhere after halfway through it seemed the creators didn't care about the story at all anymore... hell the story wasn't even present in the Sky temple.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

Have both, loved TP, and did not like Okami.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#14 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I think my position on the matter is obvious.

Twilight Princess wasn't a bad game. I did think it was too... familiar, though, let's say. In other words, it felt like an almost-sort-of rehash of Ocarina of Time. All the similarities it's version of Hyrule had to Ocarina of Time's version made it seem like the developers decided to remake Ocarina of Time with some story alterations rather than create something entirely new. I expect the Zelda series to at least deliver that much.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34807 Posts

I probably should love Okami, since I adore these kind of games, but there was something about it that got me to stop playing it. Nice graphics, pretty cool story, funny characters, yet.. something I wasn't very fond of.

I did finish and enjoy Twilight Princess. Guess that means I prefer TP, even though it feels a bit wrong to say that, with Okami being quite cool and original and TP being one of the worst Zeldas. Guess it's my Zelda fanboyism showing..

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#16 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Zelda because it is always good and Okami I didn't really like because of the paintbrush accuracy.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#17 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
If you haven't finished Okami I better not tell too much, but I prefer TP all the way. Is just great in all aspects. Perhaps just the difficult level could be improved About Okami I just may say I got really really bored at the "first" end of the game and just wanted to finish it. I t grew really tiresome and repetitive for me Regards
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I've said it countless times, but Okami. In every way, Okami.GamerForca
I agree. Note: I played Okami on PS2 and TP on the gamecube (so keep that in mind). But Okami is one of the better games I have ever played. I loved everything about it. -I also enjoyed TP (one of my favorite Zelda games) -but there was just something about Okami that made it great (and a 'fresh' expereience)
knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

TP I felt forced to play through simply because It was a Zelda game and I wanted to complete it. I could go for days without playing it and it was hard to play for a stretch longer than an hour.

Okami however was compelling, addicting and inspiring. While it had more of an edge while being new and fresh it was the only game I wanted to play the entire play-through and if nothing else was stoping me I could play for as long as time permited.

I loved where okami took me and had reletively no complaints. TP i was constantly thinking of better ways they could have done everything.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Okami is better imo, far more original and creative. Zelda as you say does have that quality Nintendo feel to it which Okami maybe lacks, but I'd still say Okami is better. Both awesome games though, and Windwaker beats both :P
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts

I'm a Zelda fan, but I enjoyed Okami more than Twilight Princess. Overall, I just found it more fun to play, more visually appealing, it was new and fresh.....

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Okami, but TP is also a great game. And for some strange reason I love Zant. He's one of my all time fav villians. (Despite the fact we don't really know what happened to him.)

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Anyone who thinks TP is better than Okami is wrong. Its as simple as that.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

okami is amazing, unique and so funny..its the better game in many ways..still havnt finished i think i got 30 hours on it..

but zelda games feel more um natural to play...cant explain it.. i voted TP with a sad face attached . id buy the next okami game on day 1 though..dont get me wrong.. i loves it.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

They're about the same in terms of the extent to which I enjoyed them, so I'll give Okami the edge for originality and better art direction.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

okami is amazing, unique and so funny..its the better game in many ways..still havnt finished i think i got 30 hours on it..

but zelda games feel more um natural to play...cant explain it.. i voted TP with a sad face attached . id buy the next okami game on day 1 though..dont get me wrong.. i loves it.

KBFloYd

Did you buy it? The seqeul came out for the DS 2 months ago. I'm playing through it now and it's pretty good. I love both Okami and Twilight Princess but I'd have to say Twilight Princess is better in about every way. Okami was just the best Zelda inspired action adventure game ever, but it still can't beat a Zelda game.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
It's obvious that Okami heavily inspired Twilight Princess, so for the courage of being first, I give Okami the better game label.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Anyone who thinks TP is better than Okami is wrong. Its as simple as that.meetroid8
Opinions can't be wrong. :P
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

To be honest, I actually enjoyed Okami a lot more.

Maybe I over hyped TP

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
It's obvious that Okami heavily inspired Twilight Princess, so for the courage of being first, I give Okami the better game label.so_hai
I kind of doubt Okami inspired Twilight Princess as they both came out the same time and if Nintendo hadn't delayed Twilight Princess to launch on the Wii then it would have been first. Besides the developers of Okami said that the game was a tribute to Zelda games, which is obvious. Either way both are amazing games.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#31 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
okami is incredible long winded. Also that kind of style is more obnoxious and pretentious than endearing. Yeah yeah yeah. You're all great artistic geniuses, yeehaw. nobody cares
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

Are they similar games, I mean like in playstyle or gameplay? fun factor? If so I may look into this Okami as well. We were going to get Zelda anyway when we get a Wii2.

We kinda stuck to our pcs for a while, missed out on Wii, as soon as we were about to go ahead and get one, boom announcement of Wii2, so we held off....

But that also means we have an Enormous amount of Wii (and Gamecube) back catelog of games to enjoy (before spending an arm and a leg on each new Wii2 game), Which brings me to my original question lol.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx

okami is incredible long winded. Also that kind of style is more obnoxious and pretentious than endearing. Yeah yeah yeah. You're all great artistic geniuses, yeehaw. nobody caresGunSmith1_basic

Judging from the poll, it seems to me that at least 53% of people care. :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

AlmightyDerek

Did you buy it? The seqeul came out for the DS 2 months ago. I'm playing through it now and it's pretty good. I love both Okami and Twilight Princess but I'd have to say Twilight Princess is better in about every way. Okami was just the best Zelda inspired action adventure game ever, but it still can't beat a Zelda game.

i'm definitely getting okamiden i just need to finish okami.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KBFloYd

Are they similar games, I mean like in playstyle or gameplay? fun factor? If so I may look into this Okami as well. We were going to get Zelda anyway when we get a Wii2.

We kinda stuck to our pcs for a while, missed out on Wii, as soon as we were about to go ahead and get one, boom announcement of Wii2, so we held off....

But that also means we have an Enormous amount of Wii (and Gamecube) back catelog of games to enjoy (before spending an arm and a leg on each new Wii2 game), Which brings me to my original question lol.

Lach0121

its very much like zelda but even longer....its a wonderful game..be warned that the controls are abit hard to get used to at first....stick with it...it would take me an hour sometimes at first to do something simple...the trick is the game doesnt reward accuracy...it rewards quickness in your gestures..

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GabuEx

Lach0121

Yeah, they're very similar. If you like Zelda, you'll like Okami, almost guaranteed.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Okami edges it out for me even though it was a bit lacking in the combat and dungeon layouts. The game was a painting come to life. It had personality and charm which kept me drawn in. I found myself losing interest with TP at times. Okami just seemed so fresh when I first played it years ago.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
okami is incredible long winded. Also that kind of style is more obnoxious and pretentious than endearing. Yeah yeah yeah. You're all great artistic geniuses, yeehaw. nobody caresGunSmith1_basic
Its funny how no one even played the whole "Okami is art" card in this thread :P Silly man, it's ok to rank something higher then a Zelda game, Nintendo won't kill you!
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

Cool thanks guys, When we get the Wii2, will definitely have to check out this Okami as well!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BrunoBRS

They're about the same in terms of the extent to which I enjoyed them, so I'll give Okami the edge for originality and better art direction.

GabuEx
i think i'll go with this. okami is my favorite action adventure on the wii (i take TP as a gamecube game, since it's where i've played through it... three times), and i always considered it the only non-zelda AA game to manage to live up to zelda standards (and suprass quite a few of them). on the other hand, TP is my second favorite zelda game of all time (right behind wind waker), so yes i quite liked it.
gulfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gulfo
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

Okami was just the best Zelda inspired action adventure game ever.

AlmightyDerek

There's so much wisdom in these lines

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#42 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"]

Okami was just the best Zelda inspired action adventure game ever.

gulfo

There's so much wisdom in these lines

Alundra gives it a run for its money though, as much as I love Okami. But I would agree.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

I liked Okami but Twilight Princess by a mile. By several miles. Maybe even hundreds of miles.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#44 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i liked TP a lot, but id definitely pick okami. the brush mechanic was just so well done overall. it took the zelda formula and made it about the creation of beauty rather than the destruction of evil. i could see why someone might prefer the more dense puzzles of TP, but i liked how the dungeon design of okami felt a bit less game-ish.
dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
I liked both games, i think okami is better. it has more personality, TP was good but i can't remember most of it. I do remember it being depressing though. :P
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#46 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Okami was released six months before the Zelda game.