Nintendo's next handheld?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

What do you guys think Nintendo's next console is going to be like? Will it be more towards gameplay innovation (such as the Wii motion control and DS touch screen), or will it be more focussed towards high end graphics and basic gameplay (such as the PSP). Personally I think it's going to be the latter, I mean what else can they really do now?

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
Waterproof 128 bit
PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PtothaWHAT
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

or will it be more focussed towards high end graphics

Foxh0und666

Come on now, this is Nintendo were talking about here.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

My prediction for it.

It will basically look like the DS (Have two screen, fold, microphone, but will have a tilt feature (Like the iPhone). It will have one analog stick (Probably in place of the D-Pad), be almost at the level of PS2 graphics, have DS backwards compatibility, and oh yeah... all new games.

That's how I'm seeing it as of now.

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

well it would be stupid to ditch the dual screen design since it would leave all of the DS/DSi games unplayable.

I would think they would get the hint and get some better graphics (with the Nvidia)but i think nintendo will be gimmiky for a few more years

matthewd49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matthewd49
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

i have to agree withawssk8er716

My prediction for it.

It will basically look like the DS (Have two screen, fold, microphone, but will have a tilt feature (Like the iPhone). It will have one analog stick (Probably in place of the D-Pad), be almost at the level of PS2 graphics, have DS backwards compatibility, and oh yeah... all new games.

awssk8er716

Avatar image for Valkyriareaper1
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Valkyriareaper1
Member since 2009 • 526 Posts

Not sure. Nintendo's next handheld will perhaps improve upon what the DS does, or it will try to be different. There are rumors that the next handheld will use nVidia's Tegra processor, perhaps if they need to add a great music store, as well as stuff like skype. But overall the games will be what will sell the system. But it should be a hot product and will sell millions, kinda like the iPhone.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts
[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

My prediction for it.

If the tegra rumors are true, then it will go beyond the PS2. Anyway, though I don't really care for graphics, I'd like something similar to the DS but with more power and a larger storage medium. Mainly for the sake of versatility.
HypersonicX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 HypersonicX1
Member since 2009 • 1453 Posts

The new handheld system's graphics can be better, can download videos, pictures, tv shows like the PSP's Playstation Network, and have the features of the DSi.

M4192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 M4192
Member since 2007 • 688 Posts

I think it should only have one screen. But it could be the size of the two screens combined for backwards compatibility. It would keep touch but include an accelerometer.

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#11 Robbie8912
Member since 2006 • 2299 Posts

I would like the next one to be a thin screen with fold away controller. Thin enough to fit in a backpack (The Screen) with DS and GBA compatabillity. Also, new 3D Games

A man can dream can't he?

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

It'll still have two screens, but both of them will be touch screens, and they'll be multitouch - so you can touch two parts of the screen at once. And it'll also have a tilt function like the iPhone. Maybe a camera like the DSi, but I really think that's a gimmick. The Game Boy Camera, while fun, certainly was.

Other than that, it'll basically be superpowered, probably at the level of the PSP right now - more RAM, more processing power. And it'll have more flash memory built in, or maybe carry over the SD card functionality that the DSi has. Although I guess that depends what kind of cartridges it'll use. The DS cards seem to work fine - they're small (unlike UMDs).

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#13 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

DSi XL. Just found out about that a few days ago.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

My prediction for it.

windsquid9000

If the tegra rumors are true, then it will go beyond the PS2. Anyway, though I don't really care for graphics, I'd like something similar to the DS but with more power and a larger storage medium. Mainly for the sake of versatility.

yea the current Tegra APX2600 in the Zune HD has a CPU clock speed of 800Mhz (faster than the Nintendo Wii) and a GPU speed of 200Mhz (better than GameCube, almost as much as Xbox/Wii)

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darth-pyschosis

It'll still have two screens, but both of them will be touch screens, and they'll be multitouch - so you can touch two parts of the screen at once. And it'll also have a tilt function like the iPhone. Maybe a camera like the DSi, but I really think that's a gimmick. The Game Boy Camera, while fun, certainly was.

Other than that, it'll basically be superpowered, probably at the level of the PSP right now - more RAM, more processing power. And it'll have more flash memory built in, or maybe carry over the SD card functionality that the DSi has. Although I guess that depends what kind of cartridges it'll use. The DS cards seem to work fine - they're small (unlike UMDs).

PoindeJ

if it was at the level of PSP it'd be far from super powered, most smartphones, the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Zune HD, run miles around the PSP and rub its face in the dirt

Heck, my Palm Centro is nearly on par with the PSP in terms of hardware (not video memory of course)

Smartphones, MIDs, PMPs, are reaching the size of a DS with better than Wii hardware, if anything unless nintendo releases a handheld that competes with their current home console spec-wise they will be behind technologically either way

Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts

My prediction for it.

It will basically look like the DS (Have two screen, fold, microphone, but will have a tilt feature (Like the iPhone). It will have one analog stick (Probably in place of the D-Pad), be almost at the level of PS2 graphics, have DS backwards compatibility, and oh yeah... all new games.awssk8er716

Sounds good, except for maybe the tilt feature; might not work if the system had two screens.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]My prediction for it.

It will basically look like the DS (Have two screen, fold, microphone, but will have a tilt feature (Like the iPhone). It will have one analog stick (Probably in place of the D-Pad), be almost at the level of PS2 graphics, have DS backwards compatibility, and oh yeah... all new games.Zeus-Guy

Sounds good, except for maybe the tilt feature; might not work if the system had two screens.

doesn't DS already have a tilt game through peripheral?

It should work fine

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#18 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I will have the Power to pwn every Gamer known to man.

Nintendo Will bring back the slogan "Now you're playing with Power". and the Handheld will have the power to pump games equivalent to either the PS2 or Wii (which is 4 Gamecubes!)

I'm excited because the chip they might be using for this handheld will be Nvidia!

Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts

doesn't DS already have a tilt game through peripheral?darth-pyschosis

If there is, I haven't heard of it. I know there were two on the Game Boy Advance, but I don't even know if they work on the DS.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darth-pyschosis

Nintendo Will bring back the slogan "Now you're playing with Power". and the Handheld will have the power to pump games equivalent to either the PS2 or Wii (which is 4 Gamecubes!)

I'm excited because the chip they might be using for this handheld will be Nvidia!

LegatoSkyheart

the Wii is more of GameCube 1.5 to be honest

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

darth-pyschosis

Not really.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

My prediction for it.

darth-pyschosis

yea the current Tegra APX2600 in the Zune HD has a CPU clock speed of 800Mhz (faster than the Nintendo Wii) and a GPU speed of 200Mhz (better than GameCube, almost as much as Xbox/Wii)

Check you facts man. The APX 2600 clocks at 600 MHz althoug even that is better than the current PSP CPU.
ab_geee_eee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ab_geee_eee
Member since 2005 • 646 Posts

My prediction for it.

awssk8er716

that would be pretty awesome but i think it would lose the nintendo feel, it would feel more like a sony console not that i would mind since i like both sony and nintendo :)

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

ACL0V3R

Not really.

It's more like 2 or 3 times the power of the GameCube. Compare Metroid Prime 2 and Other M and you'll see what I mean.

MP2:

Image 115Image 1

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
dual touch screen + dual analog 5x ps3 graphics 1 minute battery life
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

dual touch screen + dual analog 5x ps3 graphics 1 minute battery lifeFILIPINOMAZTER
......................... Good for you man. Good for you. On a more *ahem* realistic note, I'd say as I have before on these constantly recurring threads:

1)NVidia Tegra 2 Clocked at 600 MHz with two cores (Gamecube graphics are all I'm asking for) (Plus, Nvidia said it would unveil products from major partners using Tegra 2 at CES 2010 in Jan)

2)16 MB VRAM Clocked at 200 MHz

3)256 MB RAM (Why not if both the HTC Touch 2 and the Blackberry Storm 2 had it)

4)At least one analog stick

5)I'm still going with two shoulder buttons on each side despite people being against it (R2 and L2). I think Nintendo can manage to squeezq it in.

6)802.11a/b/g support (Already on the DSi)/ WAP2 support for all games.

7)Full backwards compatibility

8 )Better dual cameras (Megapixels don't matter but I'm talking good low light quality and advanced features such as white balance setting, etc) EDIT: I forgot video recording at 640x480 @ 30FPS

9)Dual 4.3 inch screens (16:9 aspect ratio)

10)Ability to transfer pictures to PC.

11)DS Cartridges with up to 4GB of storage (Current max for DS is 512 MB which only one games uses-or rather will use- Ninokuni)

12)More responsive Opera browser with Adobe Flash Lite 3.1 support (Opera is already working on a mobile browser optimized for Tegra)

13)Wifi Pictochat or Skype using the DS's cameras would be a nice feature.

14)Ability to download demo, trailers, etc on the handheld.

15)Greater connectivity to the next Nintendo console.

16)DS2Ware or whatever its called with games with a max size of 64 MB and continued support for services such as Flipnote Studio.

17)At least 512 MB Space on the handheld itself and like the DSi, an expandable memory slot.

Phew... that's just what was on the top of my head. This list remind me that the original DS left a lot to be desired. Anyway, I do expect to get royalties if any of these ideas actually make it to the final product :).

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 windsquid9000

8 )Better dual cameras (Megapixels don't matter but I'm talking good low light quality and advanced features such as white balance setting, etc)

9 )Dual 4.3 inch screens (16:9 aspect ratio)

10 )Ability to transfer pictures to PC.

11 )DS Cartridges with up to 4GB of storage (Current max for DS is 512 MB which only one games uses-or rather will use- Ninokuni)

destroyerHHH

8 )Finally someone realizes more megapixels doesn't mean better quality! I doubt anyone would ever need a camera that takes pictures at 6 times the resolution of a 1080p HDTV.

10 )You can already do that with the DSi... You just can't transfer them back...

11 )Actually, the DS reads up to 2GB, but those are insanely expensive to produce so no one uses cards that big.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="ACL0V3R"]

windsquid9000

Not really.

It's more like 2 or 3 times the power of the GameCube. Compare Metroid Prime 2 and Other M and you'll see what I mean.

MP2:

Image 115Image 1

Other M has a different look

Prime 3 and Prime 2 are much better comparisons

But the fact is, excluding the system RAM (88MB/24MB) the Wii's CPU, GPU are roughly less then 2 times the power of GCN

there are GCN games that look almost as good as the best wii games

but thats off topic

and to the person correcting me on the APX2600 clock speed, whoops i put an 8 instead of 6, big deal

point remains, if it has Tegra it will be light years ahead of PSP, and close to the Wii

IronstaunchB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IronstaunchB
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

But the fact is, excluding the system RAM (88MB/24MB) the Wii's CPU, GPU are roughly less then 2 times the power of GCN

but thats off topic

and to the person correcting me on the APX2600 clock speed, whoops i put an 8 instead of 6, big deal

point remains, if it has Tegra it will be light years ahead of PSP, and close to the Wii

darth-pyschosis

Don't forget about the small screen size as well. Even if it ends up being slightly less powerful than the Wii on paper, games should look on par or better due to the smaller resolution.

On a side note, here is the Unreal Engine 3 ported to the iPhone 3GS:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzts8tsKuHs

I expect Nintendo to at least match this kind of performance in their next handheld. Releasing a gaming device that is graphically inferior compared to an average smartphone/multimedia device (by the time the DS2 is launched) would be an extremely dumb move on their part.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darth-pyschosis

but thats off topic

IronstaunchB

Don't forget about the small screen size as well. Even if it ends up being slightly less powerful than the Wii on paper, games should look on par or better due to the smaller resolution.

On a side note, here is the Unreal Engine 3 ported to the iPhone 3GS:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzts8tsKuHs

I expect Nintendo to at least match this kind of performance in their next handheld. Releasing a gaming device that is graphically inferior compared to an average smartphone/multimedia device (by the time the DS2 is launched) would be an extremely dumb move on their part.

yea but Ninty has a habit of taking "extremely dumb moves" and making them 100 million sellers

I sure hope their next handheld comes out soon, if they do decide to abandon DSi only games.

I don't understand why if UE3 can be on the 3GS, why can't it be on Wii?

ravemaster_866

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 ravemaster_866
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

[QUOTE="Foxh0und666"]

or will it be more focussed towards high end graphics

PtothaWHAT

Come on now, this is Nintendo were talking about here.

Nintendo did make the first big leap in graphics tho from the 2D Mario to the Mario 64. I hope its graphics they lean to tho.

IronstaunchB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IronstaunchB
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

yea but Ninty has a habit of taking "extremely dumb moves" and making them 100 million sellers

I sure hope their next handheld comes out soon, if they do decide to abandon DSi only games.

I don't understand why if UE3 can be on the 3GS, why can't it be on Wii?

darth-pyschosis

Hopefully they don't plan on doing this with the next DS spec-wise. I kinda trust Ninty's handheld design though; IIRC DS was clearly superior to any portable device but the PSP in terms of graphics at the time of its release. I don't expect this to change with the next generation of handhelds.

And for those saying that Nintendo's new philosophy is not powerful hardware but innovation; even though it was overshadowed by the PSP, the GBA-DS transition was a big leap in performance. The fact that their next handheld may pump out visuals close to their current home console is nothing to be surprised about since the Wii is a gen behind everything else.

We also have to take the rumored specs of the next PSP into consideration. Based on what I've read, its power may very well end up closer to a 360 than a Wii. Which means that a even a DS2 with Wii-like graphics will look "modest" in comparison.