nintendos next handheld?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CARL
Member since 2002 • 651 Posts

dual screen?

im not so sure about that, but the irritating thing with dual screen is that it has some neat aspects, such as making the ds look like an interactive book when "playing" brain age... and it probably works with a "game" like nintendogs, and the viewtiful joe game looked like it used the upper screen in a good way too, as did the metroid shooter...

that's of course pretty neat, but the upper screen, or the second screen, actually more like detracts from most other games out there...

so with that in mind, id say that the psp route is a lot better: to have one large, widescreen, high resolution screen

but i wouldn't be against a dual screen concept completely, and actually the whole idea behind educational titles works well with a dual screen handheld... but then u need the educational titles, and also more games like nindendogs and viewtiful joe...

EDIT: well, one thing that is for certain--whether it will be dual screen or not--is that the screen(s) need to be a lot bigger, and pack a lot more pixels.

nintendos iphone without the... phone?

nintendo stresses that it's not about the horsepower but about the gameplay and how u can make it more interesting using inovative hardware (touch screen, wii remote)

so the natural step for nintendos next handheld is of course to introduce some new interesting hardware, and what comes to mind is of course accelerometers and gadgets like that, the wii way, that make the device aware of where and how it's being held by the user. it's definitely not something that every game could take advantage of, and it would maybe more suite gimmicky game concepts, such as games where u "tilt" the gameworld, as in a maze ball game or something like that, or a game where u hold the device in front of u and "look around" with it in real life, to experience the view in the gameworld to change in an analogue, mimicked way, and of course u can also have games where the touch screen input works in tandem with the accelerometers and what not the device carries.

as for the touch screen mechanics it needs to be updated to "multi touch screen inputs", which of course makes this handheld earily simlar to the iphone, like the videogame littlebrother to iphone, with no phone, no camera, no itunes, no operating system... but then again, not as expensive either

so yeah, probably no operating system but something that would suffice for at least a gaming device would be a robust way to link up to some kind of oline portal, where you could even go as far as to send images you'd done with "mario paint ds2" to other users, or even to the internet, so that they could be looked at by people using pc's or mac's. because that's the thing, creative production software (for music, for painting, for whatnot) relies on community aspects...

interface: buttons, touch pen...

other changes that would be for the better would be, and this is ideas ive had for a long time now, a touch pen that is conseived in such a way that the touch screen notices if u twist it, in what direction, at what ratio, at what speed... that would be pretty neat, but i don't know if it's duable. another idea i had was for some kind of "touch button", a vertical line, which first and formost would be for sidescrollers like castlevania and metroid, in that if u pressed this button at the upper corner samus would for example fire away her gun at that angle...

Aragornn45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Aragornn45
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The dual screen is just fine, leave it alone.   However I do agree that the screens need to be like the psp screens.   Hopefully Nintendo will get to work on that ;)
-zonkey-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -zonkey-
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts

The dual screen is just fine, leave it alone. However I do agree that the screens need to be like the psp screens. Hopefully Nintendo will get to work on that ;)Aragornn45

NO its not fine :) 

Avatar image for deactivated-597cfe125fbc6
deactivated-597cfe125fbc6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-597cfe125fbc6
Member since 2006 • 1988 Posts
IF the next nintendo handheld has a touch screen it NEEDS to be able to reconise more that one point.
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CARL

IF the next nintendo handheld has a touch screen it NEEDS to be able to reconise more that one point.dfnj123

i agree, but it's already mentioned in my post :)

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
IF the next nintendo handheld has a touch screen it NEEDS to be able to reconise more that one point.dfnj123
agree but with the size of these current screens it won't matter. I think they should leave the touch screen alone they get scratched after alot of uses expecially when you let other people use it. maybe use the stylus like the Wiimote. I guess thouchscreen can suffice but people only make basic games for it. Havn't seen anyone push it's good things yet.
Wielgoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wielgoz
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
how about ONE BIG TOUCH SCREEEN:o:P
Avatar image for marcusmpcconnor
marcusmpcconnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 marcusmpcconnor
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
Although the touch screen does have its shortcomings, we have to give Nintendo some props. Their DS was the top selling gaming item on the market last year. And so far this year has outsold the PS3 and X-Box 360 combined. and the Wii is not doing to bad itself. So clearely Nintendo is on to somthing with its outside the box thinking, no matter how much improving can still be made, you have to admit that Nintendo has a bright future ahead.
Jin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Jin66
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts
^Agreed. Nintendo will always dominate the handheld market. Touchscreen is fine with scratches if you buy a good protector for it (Hori). Next update I'd be happy with improved graphics, bigger screens (one giant touch screen is good too), maybe a built in HDD and NO FRIEND CODES!!!!! (Nintendo online as a whole, not just handhelds)
ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts
I like how the nintendo Ds protecs it's screens by being able to close it. I want my next handheld to ahve the same capability, they might just aswell put a screen in the protection case. That's hwo I look at my Ds lite, the additional screen is just an bonus for games that make use of it. For FF3, it's great that you don't have to open your inventory to see the world map. I'm not pissed off that they didn't make full use of the top screen, I'm happy with the little bonus that it did have. There is nothing that the GBA had that the DS didn't have. Nintneod won't pick graphics over new gameplay, expecially after the succes there having with the DS. SO the next Nintendo Handheld will either have some new revolutionary gameplay or dual screens again.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
I've already stated what the next Nintendo handheld needs.

Keep built-in Mic, fake surround sound, buttons, and touch screen OR use one long, foldable screen (they'll be available by 2010, they're in development now.) Have built in 8-16 GB hard drive, solar panel (or come with solar charger) and wireless internet from anywhere, no Wi-Fi, no Hot Spots.
JFannn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JFannn
Member since 2006 • 691 Posts
one big mix of a big screen (like the psp's) and the whole thing being touch screen would be a great idea...if it worked.
MoleyPoley123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MoleyPoley123
Member since 2006 • 100 Posts
Wow you people put a lot of thought into this.
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

how about ONE BIG TOUCH SCREEEN:o:PWielgoz

Good idea :shock:                                                      lol

jacob33301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jacob33301
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts
ya, i just think we need a bigger screen. or maybe... 7 screens :shock:
StormrageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StormrageX
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
they can't make the screens big if the've got 2 of them, so 1 BIG SCREEN!!
DaPsPPlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaPsPPlaya
Member since 2006 • 2446 Posts

HAHAHAHA  I have had my ds for 6 months now and the only scratches I have on it are on the bottom of the system, and even those are hardly visible. I don't use screen protectors nor do I have a case for my DS Lite just take care of it and you will be fine, I suggest using a soft cloth for the screens and smudges. I have wiped it down countless times and it still looks as if I purchased it yesterday. The list of games are as follows

Jump Ultimate S, Castlevania DoS+PoR, Advance Wars DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, MK, Yoshi ds, Lost Magic, Kirby Canvas Curse and New SMB

Now the fact is the new ds will not change much seeing as its going to support previous games.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
im confident that right now in some room in japan, nintendo has "DS2" already in the works
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CARL

Although the touch screen does have its shortcomings, we have to give Nintendo some props. Their DS was the top selling gaming item on the market last year. And so far this year has outsold the PS3 and X-Box 360 combined. and the Wii is not doing to bad itself. So clearely Nintendo is on to somthing with its outside the box thinking, no matter how much improving can still be made, you have to admit that Nintendo has a bright future ahead.marcusmpcconnor

yeah, nintendo understands how to sell hardware, and they of course also see to it that they have some great titles on their systems as well, although i think the ds is a bit lacking really... not much going on there right now, except for a zelda title arriving later this year, that's about it...

i mean, i don't know, but it feels like nintendo of america is pretty bad at snapping up people with good game ideas... such as me :)

here's what a mail from nintendo might look like for me...

Message(#6851-000575-74455757445)

Hello,

Although we appreciate your interest in offering to share your game ideas and
music with us, we are unable to pass along or accept unsolicited ideas for a
variety of reasons.  For more information, please visit the following address:

and the address that follows is like a link to where u can search for information about games on nintendos consoles... wohoo!! :(

so yeah, they don't give a damn about trying to reach out to young wannabe developers like me :( , they feel just fine with what they got, so i mean, nothing more to do except prey... or to be honest, i have more or less given up on games...

by the way, below is how my mail to them looked like, i thought that if i also had some mp3 songs id done, that they might be more interested, seeing as the reason they cutt me off the first time (several years ago when i came to them with the subterrania game idea, they told me that i should maybe look into perfecting some craft that was handy for the game development process, and seeing as im not good at math--im terrible--i thought i could give music a go) and the above message is the thanks for that? ohhhh great... great..

http://web.comhem.se/~u46112885/vadisittt.mp3
http://web.comhem.se/~u46112885/vaken.mp3
http://web.comhem.se/~u46112885/frolicks.mp3
http://web.comhem.se/~u46112885/vidrigt.mp3
just some songs ive made
http://web.comhem.se/~u46112885/Subterrania.pdf
http://web.comhem.se/~u46112885/METROID 1.1.pdf
the first doc is an old, bad game idea i had 5, 6 years ago, it's not in line
with how i look at the narrative structure in games anymore...
that is: i don't want a subtile dialogue tree, i don't want a dialogue tree at
all actually :)
the metroid game idea i did a half year ago represents my present view on
narratives in games
anyhow... can i get in contact with anyone over at nintendo in regards to the
metroid game idea?

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CARL

oh i see i didn't get a reply, ohhh sorry

yes it wasn't very fun to read :(

i shouldn't complain about anything i have no one to complain at

but i can still be allowed to write about the frustration of not having time to do any music or game design because of work... it sucks...

WizardsKeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WizardsKeep
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts
I think they should make the next one thinner, add larger screens and make both screens touch sensitive.  Also they should make the screens more scratch resistant.
Merovingin33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Merovingin33
Member since 2004 • 3877 Posts

duel wide screens with a little most power and oomf.

and perhaps have it do other functions without the need for damn add ons.

i find it pointless when a company brags about the price do to the lack of feaures but then turns around and makes add ons.

if they are going to do the hole touch screen thing and want more functions.

hey make your own damn OS and make a PDA type interface for the users, wide screen clam shell design.

Kwiksilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Kwiksilva
Member since 2004 • 467 Posts
im happy with my DS as it is now but in 2 or 3 years I would like to say graphics around the level of ps2 or gamecube (at least close) and continued touch screen support and possibly a good analog stick not like the psp's though i hate theirs and either one screen a lil bigger than the psp's or dual screens again but even bigger and a shape where holding the new DS on its side would be really comfortable
Kid-Icarus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kid-Icarus-
Member since 2006 • 733 Posts

oh i see i didn't get a reply, ohhh sorry

yes it wasn't very fun to read :(

i shouldn't complain about anything i have no one to complain at

but i can still be allowed to write about the frustration of not having time to do any music or game design because of work... it sucks...

CARL

Good on you for making the effort and everything. But how many ideas do you think Nintendo get in the mail every day for a new game? You might have come up with a brilliant idea, but as most of the ideas they receive will be truly awful or completely unoriginal carbon copies of already existing games, they're not going to delve through thousands of game ideas from unknown wannabe developers to find that one gem when they have a number of trusted developers they work with on a regular basis already who have plenty of good ideas and a name and reputation for themselves to back it all up.

Its the same deal with major record companies and book publishers. They generally will not  accept unsolicited demos/works. If you're going to send ideas to anyone I guess you're best off trying small independent games publishers and developers. But to be honest if you just have an idea for a game without any actual knowledge of how to develop and create the game or without some sort of demo to show them, then I don't think you're going to get very far. They probably have plenty of their own ideas.

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CARL

They probably have plenty of their own ideas. Kid-Icarus-

well that's the thing really, i feel that the ds library is a bit stagnant as of now... im not bying the whole "they're not in need of developers"... and also, why would miyamoto tell in an interview he did a while ago that people with game ideas should turn to nintendo for finanzing, nintendo's got the money... why would he say that if they weren't in need of developers?

but whatever, i think it's a bit misleading, i mean, if he really did mean that it shouldn't really be so hard to get through to nintedo through their american homepage...

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

The dual screen is just fine, leave it alone. However I do agree that the screens need to be like the psp screens. Hopefully Nintendo will get to work on that ;)Aragornn45

Agree,but they need to spice it up a bit,can't imagine what they can do with their next handheld though 

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CARL

sony is using a "non scratch prone", mineral glass for one of their new phones

this makes it possible to have a good view from any angle...

hm... so the whole "tilt ds2 to steer maze in boring maze game" is a possibility i guess

unless of course this type of glass doesn't work as a touch screen...

ArchAngel2284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 ArchAngel2284
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts
there won't be a new handheld for yrs to come
bshaw84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bshaw84
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts
if a "foldable screen" is going to come out around 2010, then it will be 2020 before it doesn't have problems. It sounds pointless to me.
darth_hid3ous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 darth_hid3ous
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts

how about ONE BIG TOUCH SCREEEN:o:PWielgoz

coooooooool:)

Danjoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Danjoz
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

Analog stick, analog R/L buttons. Keep dualscreens and add high rez. Both screens should be touch screens. Add Rumble feature and built in web browser + SD card slot, and name it "Game Boy Eww" or something (Wii stands for "We", so Eww stands for "You")

Then it should be a great =)

darth_hid3ous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 darth_hid3ous
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts
[QUOTE="CARL"]

other changes that would be for the better would be, and this is ideas ive had for a long time now, a touch pen that is conseived in such a way that the touch screen notices if u twist it, in what direction, at what ratio, at what speed... that would be pretty neat, but i don't know if it's duable. another idea i had was for some kind of "touch button", a vertical line, which first and formost would be for sidescrollers like castlevania and metroid, in that if u pressed this button at the upper corner samus would for example fire away her gun at that angle...

[/Q

touch screen that notices if you twist it sounds awsome.... touch button??