Nintendo products are durable, will the Wii be like the NES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jNerd
Member since 2005 • 7598 Posts
I've had my NES since January 1st 1987 ((it was by big brothers)) & it's mine now...ANYWAY I've had the Wii since the day it came out...do you think it'll last 20 years?
barinelg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 barinelg
Member since 2003 • 674 Posts
I'm not sure if it'll last 20 years, mostly because of the dvd drive. Things are fragile in a way.
Squidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Squidney
Member since 2004 • 2377 Posts
I'm not sure if it'll last 20 years, mostly because of the dvd drive. Things are fragile in a way.barinelg

yeah i agree. but i kept my nintendo for novelty/nostalgia...even though its broken. :[
Totodile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Totodile
Member since 2005 • 998 Posts
NES systems still work today because they were made ages ago, when everything was made to last. Nowadays, in this money driven world, things are made to breakdown faster, so that you'll have to buy a new one, meaning the company will get more money.
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts
I went through a lot of NES systems because of the pin connectors. The blinking red light got me and everyone I knew who used it regularly. But my SNES/GB still works.
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
My Snes has lasted since the christmas that it was released. still play it often and never had a problem. simple blow into cartridge suffices well enough. but the wii could suffer the same as the ps2. (disc read errors) as all cd systems do. so 20 years. probably not. but there is really no recorded failures so far. so i imagine it will last quite a while.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

I've had my NES since January 1st 1987 ((it was by big brothers)) & it's mine now...ANYWAY I've had the Wii since the day it came out...do you think it'll last 20 years?CheezyFrog

Do you still have to blow on the carts?:)

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
The Wii 2 & 3 will probably be backwards compatible anyway.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
my nes is still working however most of the games dont work anymore. most of the game packs even on my n64 no longer work.
Katol09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Katol09
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts

can we play DVD'S on the wii without attachment?! I thought it was not in the wii!

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Everything they've made lasts 20+ years. My NES is going on 22 years so far.
criscotwister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 criscotwister
Member since 2005 • 105 Posts
i dont know about the wii, if you guys rememeber all those youtube vids where they tested gamecube and others. gamecube lasted, but wii? i dont know, it seems really flimsy. i know im not testing it
MoodyFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 MoodyFlame
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
My Snes has lasted since the christmas that it was released. still play it often and never had a problem. simple blow into cartridge suffices well enough. but the wii could suffer the same as the ps2. (disc read errors) as all cd systems do. so 20 years. probably not. but there is really no recorded failures so far. so i imagine it will last quite a while.bofe1234
True, the gamecube was quite durable and the wiimote proves it is impossible to break!
barinelg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 barinelg
Member since 2003 • 674 Posts

can we play DVD'S on the wii without attachment?! I thought it was not in the wii!

Katol09
Not right now no, but it is still a form of dvd drive.
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts
I've had my NES since January 1st 1987 ((it was by big brothers)) & it's mine now...ANYWAY I've had the Wii since the day it came out...do you think it'll last 20 years?CheezyFrog
First i wanna say nice picture of Ironman! I love him in The Avengers. Now back to the topic, i would have to say yes, i think the Wii will last for 20+ years. I bought my SNES about 3 years ago from blockbuster. They were selling the rental versions that i think they kept in storage. I cost me around $9.99 :O, and it runs like new. Nothing wrong with it. I have to say that i am pleased since not only do i use it, but hundreds of other people did too, and it's like new. Plus it came with a traveling case which is also good!
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
No, the NES, SNES, and N64 systems were solid state.
The Gamecube was a very dumbed down player, now the Wii with it's motorized DVD drive?
No way that holds up in 20 years, there's too much to go wrong.
All the older systems needed were the pins to connect, the Wii has to have the laser exactly right or you'll get skipping or worse.

Plus every single disk drive has a certain lifespan, after so many uses they all die, no matter if they're built well or not. The Wii will be the same way.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

I went through a lot of NES systems because of the pin connectors. The blinking red light got me and everyone I knew who used it regularly. But my SNES/GB still works.bretthorror
That was the worst issue with the classic NES.  I was thrilled when you were able to buy the repair kits for that from eBay.

I don't see the Wii lasting 20 years just because of the issue witih moving parts.  Cartridge based systems had less chance of failure because nothing moved.  The disc drive in the Wii will wear out sooner or later.

alpax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alpax
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts
If I cannot export my VC to the next Nintendo system (if there will be one), I see myself holding the Wii for a long time. As for the NES, mine is still in working condition; Inserting the cartridge all the time does seperate the pins from reading the cartridge properly as Jayson mentioned, realigning the pins (you may have to open up the system) should fix your problems.
YaoMing623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YaoMing623
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

Maybeif you keep dust away from your Wii. It could Probably last 20 years if you dont drop it and keep it dust free.

ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
I highly doubt the wii will last that long. My friend's wii lasted a few months before the fan broke and another friend of mine's was fried in a lightning storm.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

Well....

I have a daughter, so obviously my Wii still works.

All jokes a aside....I don't think we'll get 20 years out it. Maybe 10....

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

My NES is very difficult to get working. When it does, the colour and graphics are mostly distorted and poor quality (it's rare if it works perfectly but it has happened). So, basically, it's broken.

Mine's the older model of the NES. That may be the difference.

As for the Wii, it may last for quite a while. Maybe not 20 years, but you never know.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
NES systems still work today because they were made ages ago, when everything was made to last. Nowadays, in this money driven world, things are made to breakdown faster, so that you'll have to buy a new one, meaning the company will get more money.Totodile
Are you serious? Nintendo replaces your system if it breaks.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

[QUOTE="Totodile"]NES systems still work today because they were made ages ago, when everything was made to last. Nowadays, in this money driven world, things are made to breakdown faster, so that you'll have to buy a new one, meaning the company will get more money.firefox59
Are you serious? Nintendo replaces your system if it breaks.

Only while it's under warranty which is only a year.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
NES's suck. Everyone's NES I know doesn't work, and barely worked back in the day. Now SNES's and N64's will last forever. I don't know if the Wii will last that long. I'm sure at least 10 years though.
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

I've never had a Nintendo console die on me (I have all five, BTW), so why should the Wii?

My DS has died though, it was a first gen DS lite and the hinge broke clean off. The first batch of Lites had that problem, they don't now. Except for that, I've never had Nintendo hardware problems.