Nintendo Hates Art?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

umbriell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 umbriell
Member since 2002 • 1101 Posts
IGN reports here that at a GDC session designed to allow for ranting, Chris Hecker, currently working on Spore at Maxis, "took the opportunity to call out Nintendo for not taking(sic) games seriously." He called the system a piece of sh*t in fact. Now I take issue with the rant on a number of fronts, but I am not so sure about his criticism regarding art and videogames. Basically he said that Nintendo doesn't consider the work it does art. Ninty likes to make games fun, but doesn't promote gaming as an art medium. Consider teh analogy of the artist. The artist would generally prefer to have many tools at her disposal. Expensive oil paints, pre stretched canvasses, expensive middle format cameras, fast photoshop crunching cpu's and gpu's. You get the idea. Hecker's argument is that Ninty hasn't supplied the tools devs need to enhance the artistic quality of gaming in general.

Now I can think of a few artistic games that appeared on GameCube: Killer7, Wind Waker, even Metroid Prime were great looking games for different reasons. I wonder if Hecker's on to something though. Has Nintendo explicitly hindered the development communities ability to create art by not providing the right tools in it's new generation machine?

I would never go so far to say that Ninty doesn't consider game creation an artform, and I love that Ninty focuses on fun games, but maybe they didn't do enough for devs this time around. What do you think?
linkdragon642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 linkdragon642
Member since 2004 • 1096 Posts
Video games, like movies and music, are primarily pieces of entertainment. Nintendo realizes this, and has built a console that is very, very entertaining.
Do video games really need to be considered an art form? Honestly, who cares about a title?
IK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IK85
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I think Twilight Princess was (is) art.
Hippostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hippostrike
Member since 2006 • 1014 Posts
Well. Did you know Punk Rock was primarily started from people who were pissed off at bands using music as an "art form" rather then to just have fun? Nintendo is doing something that has happened in alot of different things in the entertainment industry and it can create some awesome things. (Like The Ramones and Sex Pistols in music)
Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Staccat0
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts

Most video games simply are not art, and this guy's rant proves that he's not really interested in art.

First, I think that video games have the potential to be art and they contain elements of it, but its more than visuals. Art is about content. If I splatter paint all over a canvas, and call it art, the discussion is not wether I'm talented or not, but WHY I did it.

Most video games convey no message at all. Does Okami make any kind of statements? Will it enrich anyone's life a decade from now? Probably not. Its just a game, like shoots and ladders. Shure itse PRETTY, but so are "Paint by Numbers" paintings. To say that you need horsepower to be artistic is to spit in the face of art. Was John Lennon not an artist? Picasso? There is such a thing as minimalism... You don't NEED much to create art. They are making entertainment.

Even Hideo Kojima doesn't consider games art, and he's a person often cited as an artist! So who can balme nintendo if they consider them... games. There is no shame in it, games can be pretty fun:)

If developers want to be considered artists they should stop focusing on graphics and AI and more on being... artistic and creative. Do something new.

This guys view of art is warped. Maybe, I'm biased cuz I'm involved in the music industry, but I haven't seen many games that actually moved me or enriched my life.

Band of Brothers gets close. Its a well told story that has something to SAY about war. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus could be close too. Most games are just games. No more art than Monopoly or Shoots and Ladders.

That is the fault of developers, not Nintendo.

I know I'll get flamed by people who think I'm slamming games, but I'm not. They CAN be art. I just don't think they NEED to be, and I don't think they usually TRY to be.\ End raNT

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
Video games, like movies and music, are primarily pieces of entertainment. Nintendo realizes this, and has built a console that is very, very entertaining.
Do video games really need to be considered an art form? Honestly, who cares about a title?
linkdragon642
Perfectly worded, and I completely agree with you.
Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Staccat0
Well. Did you know Punk Rock was primarily started from people who were pissed off at bands using music as an "art form" rather then to just have fun? Nintendo is doing something that has happened in alot of different things in the entertainment industry and it can create some awesome things. (Like The Ramones and Sex Pistols in music)
Hippostrike
...And whats funny is that many of those bands are regarded as artists. It doesn't take any amount of talent or technology to create something powerful. The Clash were more artistsic than 90% of "art rock" bands. they had something to say and they said it. They made other peopl feel it. I don't consider TP art, but its an awsome game. The art direction is pretty good, but its still just a Zelda game. It didn't bring anything new to the culture... and thats okay!
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Zelda TP is a great adventure game, Shadow Of The Colossus is that and art. Thats the only example I can think of.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

linkdragon642

But you can't say that Nintendo makes games that are on the same level as Babel or Crash or Children of Men.

Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Staccat0

Zelda TP is a great adventure game, Shadow Of The Colossus is that and art. Thats the only example I can think of.tomarlyn

I agree whole heartedly. They didn't need 360 horsepower either...

[QUOTE="linkdragon642"]Video games, like movies and music, are primarily pieces of entertainment. Nintendo realizes this, and has built a console that is very, very entertaining.
Shirley_Temple

But you can't say that Nintendo makes games that are on the same level as Babel or Crash or Children of Men.

No he didn't try to say that. He's saying that Nintendo does NOT make art and that they are not obligated to either. P.S. Children of Men was robbed... it was so awsome.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Video games are not art. I agree about this.

But when you conceived pictures and put some colors on these pictures, it's art. It's drawing and painting.

Here's the art forms: (and I'm not an artist.)

painting
drawing
printmaking
sculpture
music
poetry
architecture
cinema
theatre
photography
cartooning / animation (I never of that)

Where are the video games?

Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Staccat0

Video games are not art. I agree about this.

But when you conceived pictures and put some colors on these pictures, it's art. It's drawing and painting.

Here's the art forms: (and I'm not an artist.)

painting
drawing
printmaking
sculpture
music
poetry
architecture
cinema
theatre
photography
cartooning / animation (I never of that)

Where are the video games?

chris3116
If a game were expressing anything than it could be considered art. If you draw somethings its not automatically art IMO. Its all about content... Thats why any decent critic of art tells you the story behind the art and takes that into account when they are talking about the painting, movie, album ect...
leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leegar88
Member since 2006 • 5307 Posts
  1. This guy is a attention whore
  2. I still have fun with my wii
  3. I wouldn't listen to him
  4. Nintedo makes great fun games which is more important IMO
  5. A lot of their games are also artistic without super graphics
  6. And congragulations Chris Heckler you have won the STFU award of the year
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Zelda TP is a great adventure game, Shadow Of The Colossus is that and art. Thats the only example I can think of.Staccat0

[QUOTE="linkdragon642"]Video games, like movies and music, are primarily pieces of entertainment. Nintendo realizes this, and has built a console that is very, very entertaining.
Shirley_Temple

No he didn't try to say that. He's saying that Nintendo does NOT make art and that they are not obligated to either. P.S. Children of Men was robbed... it was so awsome.

Exactly, Nintendo makes nice little titles, that while not as spectacular or moving as other games, do well. 

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
he does know that gaming is derived from the word game which does or does not include art. and games are usually played for fun.
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts

It also seems that the General Public doesn't really care how artsy video games are.  Look at Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami, both games were beautiful to look at and were praised by critics, but were mostly ignored by fans.  Shadow did reasonable, but didn't pull the numbers it should have.  Ico was another very beautiful game that was overlooked.   Look at the developer Clover.  They went for artsy innovative game play, and now they are shut down.

People like Gears of Wars not because of the art, but because of the realistic graphics.  In my opinion, realistic graphics doesn't equal art.  Art allows the viewer interpret what the artist intended in the scene.  The rant is far off base. 

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts

Most video games simply are not art, and this guy's rant proves that he's not really interested in art.

First, I think that video games have the potential to be art and they contain elements of it, but its more than visuals. Art is about content. If I splatter paint all over a canvas, and call it art, the discussion is not wether I'm talented or not, but WHY I did it.

Most video games convey no message at all. Does Okami make any kind of statements? Will it enrich anyone's life a decade from now? Probably not. Its just a game, like shoots and ladders. Shure itse PRETTY, but so are "Paint by Numbers" paintings. To say that you need horsepower to be artistic is to spit in the face of art. Was John Lennon not an artist? Picasso? There is such a thing as minimalism... You don't NEED much to create art. They are making entertainment.

Even Hideo Kojima doesn't consider games art, and he's a person often cited as an artist! So who can balme nintendo if they consider them... games. There is no shame in it, games can be pretty fun:)

If developers want to be considered artists they should stop focusing on graphics and AI and more on being... artistic and creative. Do something new.

This guys view of art is warped. Maybe, I'm biased cuz I'm involved in the music industry, but I haven't seen many games that actually moved me or enriched my life.

Band of Brothers gets close. Its a well told story that has something to SAY about war. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus could be close too. Most games are just games. No more art than Monopoly or Shoots and Ladders.

That is the fault of developers, not Nintendo.

I know I'll get flamed by people who think I'm slamming games, but I'm not. They CAN be art. I just don't think they NEED to be, and I don't think they usually TRY to be.\ End raNT

Staccat0

I dnt care what kojima says, MGS3 is art, it really caries a message and has some awsome content. In my opinion, games can be considered as the ultimate art form if it is as great as MGS3, I mean music, film, paintings and books can all be considered art- somethings MGS3 exels in almost every way, music was So good, the cutscenes where nothing but amazing and really deep, The visuals were great and the storyline was the best storyline I have seen in my life IMO. Games like this can be art IMO because they just are everything art is, just interactive, thats why I think it is the ultimate art form MGS3 b!tches!!!!!!
umbriell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 umbriell

Shirley_Temple

I would agree with that. Art is not defined by a social message. Often fine art comes with one, but sometimes art just does something people haven't seen yet.
umbriell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 umbriell
[QUOTE="Staccat0"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Zelda TP is a great adventure game, Shadow Of The Colossus is that and art. Thats the only example I can think of.Shirley_Temple

Shirley_Temple

Exactly, Nintendo makes nice little titles, that while not as spectacular or moving as other games, do well.

I think much of the rant had to do with tools avaliable to the dev. Dude thinks Nintendo let devs down. It had less to do with whether Nintendo makes games that rise to the level of art.
Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Staccat0
[QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]

umbriell

I would agree with that. Art is not defined by a social message. Often fine art comes with one, but sometimes art just does something people haven't seen yet.

To be technical doing something people have never seen is still a mesage. When you challenge conventions and do something brand new you are (wether you like it or not) making a statement about art in general and your place within it. Nintendo gives people plenty of tools to be creative and artistic. This would be like fender sucks because they refuse to add more strings to the guitar:)
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
That Hecker guy will only have room to  talk when he actually has developed a real game. So far he is only working on Spore. 
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Hates art? I'm going to be the most fanboyish I've ever been and just dismiss this theory, the only reason I play nintendo games is because they're ART!!

Look at paper mario and tell me that's not art

Look at...windwaker and tell me nintendo hates art, heck fans were angry at WW, yet they still went w/ the graphics

If anyone hates art, it's those stupid 360 devs that make games as real as possible

IMO

reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
i think he just wanted a raw power battle this time, just like last time.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
To me I see video games in general no matter what game as an art. Its funny how he talks about Nintendo is not being serious with the video game industry when Nintendo been in the game for more years than Sony and Microsoft combined.

He failed to understand that Video games in general is an art. You creat the environments, you create the characters, you create the items, you create the interface, you color, you design, etc etc etc. All of that is art.

That devolper is an example of the many stupid #@%$$@^ who "rant" and make no sense in his "rant". If he is cryin about not enough CPU or not enough to create complexed AI, then amke the best possible outcome outta a game for the Wii. Stop @%$% and MAN UP.

My 2 cents.

agrippi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 agrippi
Member since 2003 • 1195 Posts
  1. This guy is a attention whore
  2. I still have fun with my wii
  3. I wouldn't listen to him
  4. Nintedo makes great fun games which is more important IMO
  5. A lot of their games are also artistic without super graphics
  6. And congragulations Chris Heckler you have won the STFU award of the year
leegar88
agreed. now, if this guy wanted to say that nintendo's machine doesn't provide the horsepower to make photorealistic games, then fine. but, IMO, like others have state, most people would consider abstract or minimalist paintings more like "art" than a photorealistic painting (or, as some would call them...photographs). this guy sounded like a complete attention and graphics whore....and i would be embarrassed to have someone from my development team make such statements. now, why didn't he say that microsoft is a p.o.s. b/c they don't allow the creative freedom to immerse you in games with their controller? i mean, seriously, this guy is a joke...and i can't believe he is working on a game as cool as spore may be. and, btw, chris heckler, don't f'ing make a game for the wii then. or the ds, for that matter (haven't we heard of a ds version of spore). i only wish someone would have responded to this chump and made him aware of how big of a donkey he sounded like.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The same if not to a further extent can be said about the other consoles.
in2DarKneSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 in2DarKneSs
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts
I agree with the criticism of the games not being art, and why should it matter as to whether they r or not. However, certain processes in the games creation are, like the concept sketches. Or even consider pre-rendered backgrounds, RE and playstation Final Fantasy's use pre-rendered backgrounds as examples. These are stand alone environments with textures, so a painting of a river in the mountains can b art, but not a pre-render of one? Both require a lot of work and vision, so i consider things like PR backgrounds art, and concept, but games no.
greenleaflink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 greenleaflink
Member since 2006 • 3686 Posts
that guy is a moron SPORE IS NOT ART!
clownofpoetry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clownofpoetry
Member since 2004 • 501 Posts
Nintendo has more art under their belt than that guy. I've looked into Spore and I'm not impressed. If that's all he's done in the gaming world so far, then he has no ground to stand on. The Wii is a heck of a lot of fun and if art is "HD graphics" and the company's "web site" to him, let him be blind to something great.
NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
That was hardly criticism, it was more of a frantic rant. I guess he didn't get the memo Nintendo sent out awhile ago, and was upset of it's popularity (which was made obvious by his fear of a "Wii World").
Avatar image for Quetzalcoatl_88
Quetzalcoatl_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Quetzalcoatl_88
Member since 2003 • 400 Posts
since that was more of a pointless rant, his new name should be Chris HECKLER....(I know, bad joke)
Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
4/9/07 Super Paper Mario
Ire-7

Forum Posts