New Super Mario Bros. wii discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

This is just a discussion thread for nsmb wii until someone makes an official one.

Personally, I hope that you can choose which character you want to play as before a level, like smb 2.

Do you think the toads were good 3rd and 4th player choices or do you think there should have been other characters?

Do you think head of games ideas were good ones?

Talk about that here!

Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Check this out!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/990/990242p1.html

jdiamnz69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 jdiamnz69
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

Yes, this game looks pretty sweet. BTW i dont think anybody will make an "official" discussion about this. Whatever, do what you shall, nobody can do anything except lock this.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
1. You can. :D 2. I think they where a tad generic, which I can only assume means they are something of "filler" for until other characters are announced. 3. Nah, that guy is a total idiot. :P
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"] 2. I think they where a tad generic, which I can only assume means they are something of "filler" for until other characters are announced.

that actually makes sense and seems highly likely i hope so...i would like just normal toad, but no more than one
thegamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 thegamemonkey
Member since 2007 • 3234 Posts

I hope this game doesn't turn out to be short. Just because it's based on a NES game, doesn't mean it has to feel like one.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Head_of_games
any words on online mode? yes or no? Thx :Dchang_1910
We aren't exactly sure, because we've get to get a precise quote from Miyamoto. However, I think we can safely say that we won't be playing the main story mode with online co-op, which is a darn shame considering it could be quite difficult to get four gamers together. But beyond that, I don't think we have any solid news. Of course, we don't even know if there will be a "beyond that".
creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
I soo can't wait for this game! I'm an old school gamer and a side scrolling Mario is all I need to know! :D
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"] 2. I think they where a tad generic, which I can only assume means they are something of "filler" for until other characters are announced. CDUB316
that actually makes sense and seems highly likely i hope so...i would like just normal toad, but no more than one

the more characters the better (think smash bros) i hope theres a feature that lets you change the colors of them too
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

I played this game at E3 Wednesday, and it really a blast with four people.:D It still a shame that there won't be online co-op.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Yeah and minigames aren't confirmed either :( I might have purchased it if it had online co-op or some sort of competitive online play.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#13 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am pretty happy with the game I just want some more characters instead of colored Toads.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

The game looks insanely fun, and lucky me i won't have issues with co-op, because i have either cousins or friends to play the game.

I think that the Toads are a bad choice, i mean, 1 is ok, but 2, i really really hope that there are other characters, like Peach or even Wario would be fine, too bad that this Holiday are tons of great games,hope i can afford this one.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Head_of_games
Yeah and minigames aren't confirmed either :( I might have purchased it if it had online co-op or some sort of competitive online play.scar-hawk
I'm still holding out for a new and improved battle mode.

I am pretty happy with the game I just want some more characters instead of colored Toads.

Pierst179

TI think that the Toads are a bad choice, i mean, 1 is ok, but 2, i really really hope that there are other characters, like Peach or even Wario would be fine, too bad that this Holiday are tons of great games,hope i can afford this one.

madsnakehhh
LIke I just said, chances are that they are just placeholders until something else is announced, or more likely you play as them in-game until you unlock other characters. I for one want to see Peach, Bowser, and Donkey Kong. Leave Wario and Waluigi out of it. Maybe throw in ROB just for the heck of it.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 starwarsjunky
birdo :D
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Head_of_games
birdo :D starwarsjunky
Um... no. Birdo is a useless filler character for games like Mario Party. We want only top-notch characters here! Although, it would be interesting for her to ride Yoshi.... :P
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
[QUOTE="Luigirulez"]

This is just a discussion thread for nsmb wii until someone makes an official one.

Personally, I hope that you can choose which character you want to play as before a level, like smb 2.

Do you think the toads were good 3rd and 4th player choices or do you think there should have been other characters?

Do you think head of games ideas were good ones?

Talk about that here!

I can't wait for the game to come out to tell you the truth.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]birdo :D Head_of_games
Um... no. Birdo is a useless filler character for games like Mario Party. We want only top-notch characters here! Although, it would be interesting for her to ride Yoshi.... :P

and all those toads arent?
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Head_of_games
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]birdo :D starwarsjunky

and all those toads arent?

For the third time, those are probably filler characters.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 starwarsjunky

regardless, they'll be in it

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Head_of_games

regardless, they'll be in it

starwarsjunky
Yes, but only as filler characters without special abilities. Birdo has yoshi-like powers, ergo, can not be a placeholder. Therefore, he(she?) would have to be an unlockable character, and there is no need for that. If it's lucky Birdo may get in with a role identical to that of Yoshi.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

I cannot wait to play the game coop. It looks really fun.

One thing that really disappointed me though is that the game doesn't support gamecube controllers. I only have 2 wiimotes and I certainly won't buy more just for this game. Sucks. :(

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#24 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

The player gameplay looks great but why do we need to play as Toad why not Wario or Waluigi.

triheadshots69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 triheadshots69
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts

i hope it will have multiple characters to choose from or even take a page from little big planet and b able to custamize your own character

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I hope there's more than just two toads...I know why they chose them though. They need a red, green, blue, and yellow character cause that's the 4 colors for 4-player wii games. Mario and luigi are obvious, so we need two more, one yellow, one blue. I assume the princess is captured again, so she's out, plus she's pink. BUT, Daisy wears a yellow dress, so you could have her in the game and float like peach in SMB2(american version).

Wario is yellow too.

As for a blue character...I don't know. Guess a blue toad. :)

Also, they MUST put online and mario vs luigi in! MvL in NSMB was super addictive and would be even better with 4 players and online. 4player online in the adventure mode would only work with friend codes. If you tried playing with random people, they would just throw you down a hole for laughs. Also, you need to communicate, so this is a perfect wiispeak game.

So, in summation:

4 player friends only wii speak online play for the adventure

4 player vs mode with friends and wii speak, or random (no wii speak)

Also, while the propeller hats a re cool, they're not very "Mario-ish". They should have made them look like the wing caps from Mario64.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
At E3 none of the characters had any special abilities, and I liked it like this. Leave the characters similar, cause it'd be a bit unfair if you had someone like Luigi who had mad hops and didn't need to use something like the propeller suit cause you could just use someone as a jump post. :P (I did a lot in the E3 version) Playing as other characters would be fine, but they'd be no more than mere skins I would say. It's weird to just have Toad, but whatever. Maybe there will be other players, but for now the game should just rely on basic moves and power-ups to keep balance and make it fun. It was a blast playing with four people that I'm really anticipating this game a lot now. I don't know if I could play it single-player now to be frank, and I really wish it had online. It's a shame it won't, but hopefully the game will have many levels to play and secrets to explore too.
maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#28 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts

I happy that Yoshi is returning. I hope that we get the cape power-up again, although flying with 4-players on-screen makes this seem impossible.

tom95b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 tom95b
Member since 2008 • 4999 Posts

Maybe this is a dumb question but: Can you also play this with 2 people?:P

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

I happy that Yoshi is returning. I hope that we get the cape power-up again, although flying with 4-players on-screen makes this seem impossible.

maverick_41
Maybe they could dumb it down to the point where you can just hover over big gaps that others can't cross, rather than fully-fledged flying.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

I like the idea of having Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. Sort of a good and evil thing, and Waluigi has yet to be in a platformer yet,

jomaster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 jomaster007
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

I hope this game doesn't turn out to be short. Just because it's based on a NES game, doesn't mean it has to feel like one.

thegamemonkey

i think they said in an interview or something that it would have more than 80 levels, it was something on ign

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

Check this out!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/990/990242p1.html

Luigirulez

linked, anyways, this game looks awesome.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Apart from making me hungry, i wouldn't mind playing as one of the toads at all. They really fit in and all.

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts

I can't wait for this game. I'm a classic gamer and this game will be great to satisfy me.

asaph1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 asaph1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Looking at the footage at E3 gives me the impression that friends can pull out some cruel things towards each other in multiplayer. Imagine the reaction if it has online play with strangers.

What is the hype for this game, or should we wait until we know more about it?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Looking at the footage at E3 gives me the impression that friends can pull out some cruel things towards each other in multiplayer. Imagine the reaction if it has online play with strangers.

What is the hype for this game, or should we wait until we know more about it?

asaph1

I think we know pretty much all there is to know.
The only question mark i have left is how someone (Miyamoto himself?) said that the game was very taxing for the wii. Since it is a 2d platformer i wonder why. Something we don't know yet or is it just because of the 4 player action?
Of course if You don't really have friends or brother/sister to play with, it might be very interesting to know whether the game can also provide excellent singleplayer gameplay.
I probably buy it anyway. My little brother and me are going to have lots of fun. A mixture of co-op and rivalry is exactly the right thing for us.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

thegamemonkey

Actually this is inspired by many of the old school 2d mario's and it is already confirmed to have over 80 levels.