MP9 Party like its 1999! - or not

This topic is locked from further discussion.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

So I was looking into the upcoming MP9 release and I gotta say I'm pretty bummed. Though It's too pre-mature to be judging this maybe it just SOUNDS like a horrible idea. What I'm talking about is apparently players don't move independently but rather altogether in some sort of cart with the players who's turn it currently is collecting the spoils. Again, too early to judge maybe - BUT WTF. Why is it that each new iteration seems to focus on whats already good about the series and flip it on its head? What are your thoughts on this new mechanic? Potential? Or are you genuinely disgusted as well?

PS. Can't wait for MP10 when they decide to scrap mini-games.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Mario Party sucks without the Battle Maps from 3... There, I said it.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Yeah, every decision they took with the game seems like a bad idea. Kill movement freedom? Kill stars and coins for "mini-stars" instead?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
wait what. sounds like a cool side mode, but the entire game is like that? what?
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]wait what. sounds like a cool side mode, but the entire game is like that? what?

See for yourself :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w29QV4Bsf14&feature=related
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Yeah, this is what I mean about attempting to force change in a game, being different, just for the sake of being different, is what has caused Mario Party to go off the rails(an ironic phrase when talking about this game). The games formula was fine, it just needed compelling mini games. They could have changed the mini game formula, not the gameboard formula.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rod90
Yeah, this is what I mean about attempting to force change in a game, being different, just for the sake of being different, is what has caused Mario Party to go off the rails(an ironic phrase when talking about this game). The games formula was fine, it just needed compelling mini games. They could have changed the mini game formula, not the gameboard formula. Sepewrath
or some sort of online. or some odd peripherical for old time sake or bring back 8-player support use wiimotionplus change the minigames in some way use the balance board i dont know, there are many thigns you could have done to make the game better, but all the "changes" are making it worse.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The Mario Party gameplay has been boring and stale for a long time, I'd rather this than just another copy paste.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]wait what. sounds like a cool side mode, but the entire game is like that? what?

See for yourself :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w29QV4Bsf14&feature=related

that... is really odd. and i mean the entire thing, not just the "let's take everyone with us on our turn" thing.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
so confused about what this game actually is... not interested enough to look into it more. :( did i hear no stars or coins? what's happening!?!?!? :cry:
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Yeah, this is what I mean about attempting to force change in a game, being different, just for the sake of being different, is what has caused Mario Party to go off the rails(an ironic phrase when talking about this game). The games formula was fine, it just needed compelling mini games. They could have changed the mini game formula, not the gameboard formula. Rod90
or some sort of online. or some odd peripherical for old time sake or bring back 8-player support use wiimotionplus change the minigames in some way use the balance board i dont know, there are many thigns you could have done to make the game better, but all the "changes" are making it worse.

I actually do think that this is a good idea, though. The minigames have always made the Mario Party series appealing, true. However, it's oftentimes the board game-like approach of the series that tends to be the topic of criticism, due to its lack of pacing and getting in the way of the minigames. I think finding a way to change the way you play through the actual game boards better was a key area for the series' improvement.

Before going off the grid with online, add-on accessories, and things of that nature, it's better to improve the way the game is played from a more basic standpoint. Whether or not this works is another story, but at least Nintendo's trying to address the matter. Before jumping to any conclusions, I think it's wise that we actual play through the game to see if any of Nintendo's changes could lead to something worthwhile.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Without the board game, the whole thing falls apart. Simply having the option to play the mini games freely, without any convoluted unlock system, would satisfy anyone who doesn't want to play the actual board game. They shouldn't be trying to get rid of it, I think they nailed it in MP2, it was simple enough to not dominate the experience, but had enough layers, so that you were just rolling the dice, waiting for the mini game. I grew up before all these fancy video games, playing with a stump with a rock :P But seriously as a kid, I played board games, just as much as I played video games, so Mario Party was great for me, when it came out. I think where the problem was, is they started to go overboard with game board and now their going the other way--both are wrong. They lost that balance they had in MP2.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rod90
Without the board game, the whole thing falls apart. Simply having the option to play the mini games freely, without any convoluted unlock system, would satisfy anyone who doesn't want to play the actual board game. They shouldn't be trying to get rid of it, I think they nailed it in MP2, it was simple enough to not dominate the experience, but had enough layers, so that you were just rolling the dice, waiting for the mini game. I grew up before all these fancy video games, playing with a stump with a rock :P But seriously as a kid, I played board games, just as much as I played video games, so Mario Party was great for me, when it came out. I think where the problem was, is they started to go overboard with game board and now their going the other way--both are wrong. They lost that balance they had in MP2. Sepewrath
And the single-player of MP1.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

seeing the fact that no can make another Mario Party 9 thread here, i'll just bump this one

videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

Not a huge fan of marioparty. It's fun to play with friends but other than that it's kind of boring. Hey at least they're better than candyland:D

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Im gonna have to respectively object.

For all its worth, Mario Party 9's unique style makes it MORE competitive, whether you like it or not.

The goal in this game, being to finish the stage by co-operating with your opponents, while still competing over who wins, has you needing to be strategic, and its not just about collecting mini star's, there's still ways of tricking your opponenets to screw themselves, the driver pays price. The minigames are atleast overall much better than eight, most of which uses the wiimote sideways, and with actual mario themed games, and just makes them more fun considering that there are tons of boss fights.

I will question the still not present online, but i think Fortune street set up an example on how thats not a good idea, maybe in 10 for Wii U itll work.

You guys can have your opinions, but know that reviewers, especially gamespot, will keep bashing them for rehashing, 9 is a good fresh jump on the series, dont let the gimmick of moving together throw you off, the game's VERY competitive.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Picked this up this afternoon and played my first game with the wife and our son. This is hands down MUCH better than Mario Party 8 was. The graphics look much better than Mario Party 8 as well which looked washed out and ugly; Mario Party 9, by contrast, looks bright and vibrant. It does not look as good as you would imagine it could given that this is Mario Party and there is not a lot going on to bog it down though.

Moving around together does not detract from the gameplay as much as you would think it might. Neither does replacing stars and coins with ministars. All sense of strategy goes right out the window though as this is all about winning the minigames. Cutting the total dice roll total from 10 to 6 seems like a weird design choice too and the complete lack of interactive items seems a bit odd but the game is as fun as it has ever been and the boss battles are an absolute blast.

All in all it is a fun family game but not a serious board game video game if that is what you are looking for.

NintendoPapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NintendoPapa
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I just got this game today and played it with my siblings and cousin. I have been playing MP games since the first one came out in 1999. And I have to say, MP9 is VERY good! It is no more or less fun than any previous installment in the series. The graphics are actually not bad, controls are great, and the game design is excellent. A party typically lasts anywhere from 30-45 minutes, instaed of over an hour. And the board maps are totally linear, which is actually exciting and nonrepetitive. The whole vehicle idea actually works very well, too. It's a nice twist to the traditional gameplay. And the minigames are FUN! I'm loving it, even at 27 years old.

There are also many new, interesting spaces that make the game more fun. Bosses are great, too. I even have fun playing it alone if I have to. There's definitely an element of strategic thinking to the game.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Euaggelistes

I just got this game today and played it with my siblings and cousin. I have been playing MP games since the first one came out in 1999. And I have to say, MP9 is VERY good! It is no more or less fun than any previous installment in the series. The graphics are actually not bad, controls are great, and the game design is excellent. A party typically lasts anywhere from 30-45 minutes, instaed of over an hour. And the board maps are totally linear, which is actually exciting and nonrepetitive. The whole vehicle idea actually works very well, too. It's a nice twist to the traditional gameplay. And the minigames are FUN! I'm loving it, even at 27 years old.

There are also many new, interesting spaces that make the game more fun. Bosses are great, too. I even have fun playing it alone if I have to. There's definitely an element of strategic thinking to the game.

NintendoPapa

Not sure what you mean by "totally linear" so I do not want to say you are wrong, but for the sake of clarification, there are points, at least on certain boards, where there are branching paths and you are allowed to determine which direction you want to go. From what I have seen so far this does not have any major impact on the game (path A might offer ministars whereas path B offers miniztars but both end up in the same place). It is kind of like the board game Life where you can choose between two paths at certain points but both reconverge and take you to the same end point.

vguy555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vguy555
Member since 2007 • 4625 Posts

I already have Mario Party 8, so I don't think I'll be picking this one up. Lately, I don't have anyone around who would be interested in playing a Mario Party game, and I'm sure that playing these minigames myself would be incredibly boring.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Madmangamer364

Without the board game, the whole thing falls apart. Simply having the option to play the mini games freely, without any convoluted unlock system, would satisfy anyone who doesn't want to play the actual board game. They shouldn't be trying to get rid of it, I think they nailed it in MP2, it was simple enough to not dominate the experience, but had enough layers, so that you were just rolling the dice, waiting for the mini game. I grew up before all these fancy video games, playing with a stump with a rock :P But seriously as a kid, I played board games, just as much as I played video games, so Mario Party was great for me, when it came out. I think where the problem was, is they started to go overboard with game board and now their going the other way--both are wrong. They lost that balance they had in MP2. Sepewrath

I'm not saying to dump the board game part of the series altogether, though. If Nintendo wants to keep it as part of the game because they feel it's important, that's fine. However, I think we both know that sticking to a MP2 formula wouldn't be a long-term solution. It's just something that would get very stale quickly. I also grew up playing board games, but I'm not afraid to admit that as far as video game experiences go, they're not exactly the most ideal of modern-day game designs. That's why I'm happy to see Nintendo at least try to do something different with them for MP9. Whether or not it works is another story, but sometimes, it's simply better to do something different and accept possible failure than to just go with the status quo, knowing that the system's going to eventually get old, and just being content in riding it out.

backtowar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 backtowar
Member since 2011 • 289 Posts

If your 1999 pals are still available for some mario party fun, go on m8

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 knuckl3head

I'm not saying to dump the board game part of the series altogether, though. If Nintendo wants to keep it as part of the game because they feel it's important, that's fine. However, I think we both know that sticking to a MP2 formula wouldn't be a long-term solution. It's just something that would get very stale quickly. I also grew up playing board games, but I'm not afraid to admit that as far as video game experiences go, they're not exactly the most ideal of modern-day game designs. That's why I'm happy to see Nintendo at least try to do something different with them for MP9. Whether or not it works is another story, but sometimes, it's simply better to do something different and accept possible failure than to just go with the status quo, knowing that the system's going to eventually get old, and just being content in riding it out.

Madmangamer364

No. Just no.

Just because something is different doesn't mean its an improvement and I don't want to be the guinea pig to see "whether it works or not". Thats what the game developers and testers are for. And if it doesn't work or the only reason for a change is because the status-quo is boring or stale then maybe they should wait until they have an idea to merit a sequel.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 meetroid8

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

knuckl3head

No. Just no.

Just because something is different doesn't mean its an improvement and I don't want to be the guinea pig to see "whether it works or not". Thats what the game developers and testers are for. And if it doesn't work or the only reason for a change is because the status-quo is boring or stale then maybe they should wait until they have an idea to merit a sequel.

Who's to say what they're doing with MP9 isn't an improvement or doesn't merit a sequel?
knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 knuckl3head

Who's to say what they're doing with MP9 isn't an improvement or doesn't merit a sequel?meetroid8

I took his last few sentances as speaking generally and I was replying generally as well. Maybe that wasn't clear but thats why I didn't include any specific examples or "MP9" in my reply.

Your right I don't know if the "party bus" specifically is an improvement or not I just know that it sounds like a terrible Idea. Your losing free movement and gaining...? Thats just it what does this gain? Does this sound like a good idea to you? Or if you've played it do you beleive it to be?

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#26 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

My main concern, not having played the game yet, is how mini-games seem to have become a rare occurence during board games. The shared vehicle thing could turn out to be a nice idea, but diminishing the amount of mini-games - the best part of MP titles - that appears during board play can't be good.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Who's to say what they're doing with MP9 isn't an improvement or doesn't merit a sequel?knuckl3head

I took his last few sentances as speaking generally and I was replying generally as well. Maybe that wasn't clear but thats why I didn't include any specific examples or "MP9" in my reply.

Your right I don't know if the "party bus" specifically is an improvement or not I just know that it sounds like a terrible Idea. Your losing free movement and gaining...? Thats just it what does this gain? Does this sound like a good idea to you? Or if you've played it do you beleive it to be?

Honestly, I have no opinion either way, i was just curious as to why you are so against it.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Euaggelistes

My main concern, not having played the game yet, is how mini-games seem to have become a rare occurence during board games. The shared vehicle thing could turn out to be a nice idea, but diminishing the amount of mini-games - the best part of MP titles - that appears during board play can't be good.

Pierst179

I was concerned about this as well but there has been plenty of minigame goodness so far. I have not played on all of the boards yet so I do not know how it will work throughout the whole game but the minigames are now tied into spots on the board rather than having one at the end of each round. This keeps the game moving faster and there seems to be enough spaces on the board to keep you involved in minigames. The new boss battles are on impassable spaces so you are guaranteed to hit them every time.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 knuckl3head

Honestly, I have no opinion either way, i was just curious as to why you are so against it.meetroid8

Because choosing your own patch ment choosing your own strategy. You could take a risky shortcut to a star, Let others battle it for the star while you went for coins and other things or to boo ect. Not to mention from what I've gathered because its just one group travelling the board the boards are not required to be as intricate with multiple branches gates ect - so they're not. Yay.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Madmangamer364

No. Just no.

knuckl3head

I never said that being different was an improvement, and I definitely wouldn't suggest that you or anyone eles be a "guinea pig" to determine whether or not changing something is actually worth it. You're entitled to invest in whatever you'd like for whatever reason you desire. However, I'm still very much in support of making an effort to change something if you feel it needs to be changed. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't do this just for the sake of doing it, or otherwise, there's really nothing to be gained from doing it. The fact is that the Mario Party series does have enough brand power to endure a few installments that aren't very different, as we've seen in the past. Still, that doesn't mean that making an attempt to refine or rebuild things is a waste, especially when there are things that can clearly be improved on.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#31 DazedDarkness
Member since 2008 • 2261 Posts

Shenanigans!
To me it looks way better than 8, at least. 8 was terrible, too vanilla, too stripped down and too it trying to be "Wii like". I mean really, the mini-games were boring, the boards were short and terrible( I mean come on, they had a board that was just a straight line). Most of the games were chance games and there wasn't enough duel games or competive games. Nothing that made you laugh, none of those fun games.

I like that they've embraced change, what I don't get is why people complain that a series doesn't change for so long, they change it and people still complain about. What do people want? Do you think Nintendo will read your mind and make the game you want?

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 knuckl3head

Shenanigans!
To me it looks way better than 8, at least. 8 was terrible, DazedDarkness

Yes, 8 seemed like rock bottom. If they manage to ever make an entry worse than 8 I will be impressed.

I like that they've embraced change, what I don't get is why people complain that a series doesn't change for so long, they change it and people still complain about. What do people want? Do you think Nintendo will read your mind and make the game you want?

DazedDarkness

I hate arguments like this because its not the same person having all those complaints. Unfortunately its true that no matter what anyone does, someone will find something they don't like. But with the mario party franchise specifically its not the ultimatum of change or no change. Its about just giving it some life and making it simply good or enjoyable.

The reason I'm so upset is because this change seems to take away something that I found very enjoyable about the series and doesn't seem to offer anything for it in return. I might just be complaining about something I might actually end up liking but my purpose for the thread was to get other peoples opinions on the subject and see if other people could see good things from this or if they too were confused about it. Instead I just got everyone harping on me because I have an opinion.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rod90
And nobody else feels attacked with the removal of stars and coins?? That WAS mario party...