Monster hunter tri worth getting? Classic controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Im thinking about getting Monster hunter tri. Is it any good? Why do I need a classic controller?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
It is a very good game if you don't mind grinding, you will be fighting the same monster over and over for that one illusive part. You don't need a cIassic controller, its just an option if you want dual analog controls, mostly for the camera.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It's a great, addictive game if you're into action RPGs that involve grinding and upgrading a lot. There's also a long learning curve and you will need to be patient. Monster Hunter is not a pick up and play game.
You only grind armor/weapon materials. You will need X amount of this item to be able to make or upgrade your gear. This is the only way to increase your attack and defence. You will also need to fight certain monsters multiple times, and each monster can take from 2 to 40 minutes to defeat depending on your gear. There is a leveling up system in the online portion of the game, but it's only to show how experienced you are with the game. Your armor and weapon determines how strong you are. Someone with Hunter Rank 208 has the same chance of dying as someone with Hunter Rank 89.

The cIassic controller pro is completely optional. I would recommend it if you prefer using a PS2-styIe controller than the wii remote and nunchuk.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

It's a great, addictive game if you're into action RPGs that involve grinding and upgrading a lot. There's also a long learning curve and you will need to be patient. Monster Hunter is not a pick up and play game.
You only grind armor/weapon materials. You will need X amount of this item to be able to make or upgrade your gear. This is the only way to increase your attack and defence. You will also need to fight certain monsters multiple times, and each monster can take from 2 to 40 minutes to defeat depending on your gear. There is a leveling up system in the online portion of the game, but it's only to show how experienced you are with the game. Your armor and weapon determines how strong you are. Someone with Hunter Rank 208 has the same chance of dying as someone with Hunter Rank 89.

The cIassic controller pro is completely optional. I would recommend it if you prefer using a PS2-styIe controller than the wii remote and nunchuk.

ANIMEguy10034

where is your pokemon sig from?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANIMEguy10034

martinX3X

I don't remember exactly. It was either from tumblr or deviantArt. :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

if you have a 3DS, you might want to wait to see when 3G will be out, since it's basically the same game with tons of added features. but quality-wise? hell yeah, one of the best games on the wii.

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

martinX3X

monster hunter, duh :P

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANIMEguy10034

if you have a 3DS, you might want to wait to see when 3G will be out, since it's basically the same game with tons of added features. but quality-wise? hell yeah, one of the best games on the wii.

BrunoBRS

If MH3G is localized worldwide. Hopefully it will. Capcom has a reputation of not localizing MH games. :x

DaisyFan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaisyFan007
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

You should, its a much buy if you like aventure games but with online too! = )

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

If MH3G is localized worldwide. Hopefully it will. Capcom has a reputation of not localizing MH games. :x

ANIMEguy10034
There has only been 3 games they haven't released worldwide in the series and one of those came out last year in Japan on the PSP, so who knows if that will be released or not. Their reputation actually supports them releasing it worldwide.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

It's a very fun game with excellent combat, definitely worth picking up. The classic controller is a must, the wiimote is just too unresponsive and you'll need precise timing as you fight higher level monsters

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Im thinking about getting Monster hunter tri. Is it any good? Why do I need a classic controller?

TheHighWind
As everybody else has stated, it's just for preference of dual analogs. I find the WiiMote and Nunchuck setup very comfortable with MH3 though. Can't wait to see and get MH on the WiiU whenever they come out with one for it.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034

There has only been 3 games they haven't released worldwide in the series and one of those came out last year in Japan on the PSP, so who knows if that will be released or not. Their reputation actually supports them releasing it worldwide. Sepewrath

3? I thought it was 4.
Monster Hunter G for the PS2 and its Wii rerelease, Monster Hunter 2, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and the PC & 360 version of Monster Hunter Frontier.
That's nearly half of every main MH game, and Capcom still has not decided to localize MHP3 after 10 months of its release. Maybe I'm worrying too much? Maybe I should stay calm and hope for the best... @__@

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200

It's a very fun game with excellent combat, definitely worth picking up. The classic controller is a must, the wiimote is just too unresponsive and you'll need precise timing as you fight higher level monsters

WreckEm711
WiiMote and Nunchuck works fine for me.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

WreckEm711
Agreed. I mean, it's not unplayable with the wiimote, but if you've got a classic controller or can get one at a reasonable price there's no good reason not to. It's like playing Mario Kart Wii with the wheel versus a proper controller.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

nini200

It works fine, but it's nowhere near as precise with the timing, and the camera is annoying :P

sayer87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sayer87
Member since 2011 • 42 Posts
i just recently got into mh3 the last month. make sure to get a classic controller. i've already clocked in 100+ hours :D. if you need help add me online. "BARu"
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Can you use the GC controller instead of the Classic?
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ANIMEguy10034

Can you use the GC controller instead of the Classic?Los9090

According to the backside of the box, no. :(

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Definitely pick it up. You won't be disappointed. ^^

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

It works fine, but it's nowhere near as precise with the timing, and the camera is annoying :P

It's precise when I use it. I am very accurate with my attacks using the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Camera is fine.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WreckEm711
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="nini200"] WiiMote and Nunchuck works fine for me.nini200

It's precise when I use it. I am very accurate with my attacks using the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Camera is fine.

Whatever floats your boat :P I use the Wiimote in any game I get the chance but oftentimes when stringing attacks together I'd run into problems where it wouldn't read the new turned angle of the remote and it fired off the wrong attacks constantly, which was really annoying lol.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

Whatever floats your boat :P I use the Wiimote in any game I get the chance but oftentimes when stringing attacks together I'd run into problems where it wouldn't read the new turned angle of the remote and it fired off the wrong attacks constantly, which was really annoying lol.

Hey if you're more comfortable with the Cla$$ic controller then fine but give TC a chance to see which style they like better. Also GET ONLINE so I can show you how good I am with the WiiMote setup. Name - Chichi - Captial "C" bcuz it is case sensitive

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="nini200"] It's precise when I use it. I am very accurate with my attacks using the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Camera is fine.nini200

Hey if you're more comfortable with the Cla$$ic controller then fine but give TC a chance to see which style they like better. Also GET ONLINE so I can show you how good I am with the WiiMote setup. Name - Chichi - Captial "C" bcuz it is case sensitive

No one is stopping him from choosing what he wants. He asked for opinions and they were given :? What did you expect people's answer to be? I'm not calling you a liar, and I really don't care enough about the topic to get online when I've pretty much retired Tri for this Gen :P Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really just sounds like you're trying to defend the Wiimote against traditional controls, and that's not really something i care to get into as I love my Wiimote :P
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nini200
[QUOTE="nini200"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"] Whatever floats your boat :P I use the Wiimote in any game I get the chance but oftentimes when stringing attacks together I'd run into problems where it wouldn't read the new turned angle of the remote and it fired off the wrong attacks constantly, which was really annoying lol.WreckEm711

No one is stopping him from choosing what he wants. He asked for opinions and they were given :? What did you expect people's answer to be? I'm not calling you a liar, and I really don't care enough about the topic to get online when I've pretty much retired Tri for this Gen :P Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really just sounds like you're trying to defend the Wiimote against traditional controls, and that's not really something i care to get into as I love my Wiimote :P

Defensive much? I just said get online as I wanted to play MHtri :P
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="nini200"] Hey if you're more comfortable with the Cla$$ic controller then fine but give TC a chance to see which style they like better. Also GET ONLINE so I can show you how good I am with the WiiMote setup. Name - Chichi - Captial "C" bcuz it is case sensitive

nini200

As I said before, I'm really not invested enough in the discussion to have any reason to get defensive over it :? TC asked about it, I answered :P

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"] No one is stopping him from choosing what he wants. He asked for opinions and they were given :? What did you expect people's answer to be? I'm not calling you a liar, and I really don't care enough about the topic to get online when I've pretty much retired Tri for this Gen :P Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really just sounds like you're trying to defend the Wiimote against traditional controls, and that's not really something i care to get into as I love my Wiimote :PWreckEm711

As I said before, I'm really not invested enough in the discussion to have any reason to get defensive over it :? TC asked about it, I answered :P

Oh you gon get involved, or I'mma knock you out too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZpG7YJaSC8&feature=related (go to 1:28 ) Debo

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

[QUOTE="Los9090"]Can you use the GC controller instead of the Classic?ANIMEguy10034

According to the backside of the box, no. :(

Dang it...I don't really want to go out and spend money on an accessory
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Nice thread i still need to buy this game.

captain_batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 captain_batman
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yes, anyone who does not have this game already is really missing out :P
JessMarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 JessMarz
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts

Yes it's worth Getting and for the price of $20 to $40 dollars with the controllerat some stores, I say it is a good deal. The controller makes the game a hell of alot easier then playing with a nunchuk and wiimote.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I got it not based on my desire to play it but from the plentiful voices saying I should play it. It is a 3rd person slashing / grinding game. If that is your thing, sure, you should buy it.
epicman129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 epicman129
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

I got this game about a month ago and only played it for about three hours ever since. I was not impressed with this game tbh :|
The controls felt clunky, the camera was kind of annoying (I had the Pro controller too), the text boxes was soooo friggen small thus making it very difficult to read everything AND there is A LOT of reading, lastly the learning curve for this game is pretty large just like someone said early and that was no over exaggeration (why the hell does my guy keep getting tired after running two feet!?!?!? IT'S ANNOYING!!!). Since I have to deal with college, TONS of homework, a job, and a girlfriend it has been pretty much impossible for me to find the time to manage with all the problems the game has. If you don't have a busy life try the game out, if not don't bother like how I did.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

I got this game about a month ago and only played it for about three hours ever since. I was not impressed with this game tbh :|
The controls felt clunky, the camera was kind of annoying (I had the Pro controller too), the text boxes was soooo friggen small thus making it very difficult to read everything AND there is A LOT of reading, lastly the learning curve for this game is pretty large just like someone said early and that was no over exaggeration (why the hell does my guy keep getting tired after running two feet!?!?!? IT'S ANNOYING!!!). Since I have to deal with college, TONS of homework, a job, and a girlfriend it has been pretty much impossible for me to find the time to manage with all the problems the game has. If you don't have a busy life try the game out, if not don't bother like how I did.

epicman129

if you ate the rations/steak, you would have a larger stamina bar, it's explained pretty early on. and even then i don't see what that has to do with the learning curve :?

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I've been playing it for around ~50 hours, haven't even touched the online mode. It's definitely worth it. And I'd get a Classic Controller if I were you: it's not that the WiiMote + Nunchuk doesn't work, but the Classic Controller is much more responsive, has better camera angle shifting and is easier to use (you don't have to tilt your hand for certain attacks).

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

epicman129

Do you enjoy criticizing everyone who plays the game by implying they don't have busy lives/they do nothing?

You eat food so you don't tire from running (or get armor with bonuses). The text messages you receive are usually three to four boxes, with less than ten words each. The controls are not clunky (though I'll admit you'll take a while to grasp all the possibilities you have, but that's better than just having a single attack). The learning curve isn't large: you have several different things you need to do (eat food to recover stamina, sharpen your weapons, tag monsters, trap, tranquilize, etc.), but they're all explained in-game, and they come at different times, so you're never overwhelmed.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

The carrot on a stick gear upgrade system keeps you hooked. Also, there are plenty of different weapons to try your hand at, each with a different play style. I just recently tried my hand at a switch axe and I love it after using a Lance as my main weapon. THe monster fights are amazing as well. You will get more than your money's worth, thats for sure, but prepared for a decent learning curve.