MM Clash of Heroes - Better than Puzzle Quest, FF Tactics A2, and all DS SRPGs!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'm spreading the word!

Special games like this don't come around to often and sadly, nobody cares for it and it doesn't sell like it deserves!

How come nobody talks about this game? I really don't want to see this title only selling 5,000 copies. There was a lot of hype for Scribblenauts with tons of threads and it sold real well. I just wish Might and Magic Clash of Heroes would get that much attention as well.

If anyone overlooks this game, they're missing out!

Just check out some of these scores:

Games Master UK - 9.1

Challenging, addictive and excellent. It's our new favourite puzzler/RPG.

Edge Magazine - 9

Even if the DNA of its forebears is barely apparent, such a bold, brilliant transformation certainly involves something a little like magic.

NGamer UK - 9

A life-consuming wonder-gem.

IGN - 8.9

Clash of Heroes is an all-new experience built exclusively for the DS, and it's hands-down one of the deepest and most rewarding games on the system.

Nintendo Power - 8.5

The clever puzzle battles and fast-moving story makes Clash of Heroes easy to pick up and tough to put down.

Metacritic Average scores:

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes - 8.6

Scribblenauts - 8.0

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - 8.0

Knights in the Nightmare - 7.6

Luminous Arc 2 - 7.3

Puzzle Quest - 8.2

It's the BEST DS strategy/RPG on the system. It's also, IMO, the best and most addictive puzzle game on the DS as well. I highly recommend this game! It's fantastic and brilliantly made!

Here are some screens:

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes ScreenshotMight and Magic: Clash of Heroes Screenshot

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes ScreenshotMight and Magic: Clash of Heroes Screenshot

Some important info:

• One of the most innovative and addictive titles on the DS!
  • The quest is 30+ hours. IGN clocked in at 45+ hours and still hasn't unlocked everything.
  • Single player spans over five different races: Haven (human), Inferno (demon), Sylvan (elf), Academy (mage), and Necropolis (undead)
  • It has multiplayer and the gameplay is amazingly balanced.
  • The customization is deep and the different character cl@sses give it great variety.
  • The puzzle mechanics are absolutely brilliant and genius! It's amazing how the developers came up with this and made it all work so well!
  • Sadly there is no online, but IGN claims that it's still a blast to play with others.
  • IGN: "This is a massive game!"
X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

Well done, the game is officially on my radar.

-_Cloud_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 -_Cloud_-
Member since 2005 • 1851 Posts

Well done, the game is officially on my radar.

X-Remnant
Same here brother.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Edit: this game is not that much like Dragon Force. But it does look like a great direction for puzzle strategy games.

For everything Ubisoft does, it makes sense that there's still gold glimmering from their mountain.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
just throwing this here... does anyone else think the art (HUD, enemies, characters, sprites in general) look sorta like something from the mana series?
ab_geee_eee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ab_geee_eee
Member since 2005 • 646 Posts

just throwing this here... does anyone else think the art (HUD, enemies, characters, sprites in general) look sorta like something from the mana series?BrunoBRS

yeah thought so too, but hmm i didnt find this game too appealing but now i feel like i should try it out, there've been lots of games that i didn't think were good but they were real good :)

prinnyhero25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 prinnyhero25
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]just throwing this here... does anyone else think the art (HUD, enemies, characters, sprites in general) look sorta like something from the mana series?

Now that you mention it, I can see the similarities. TC thank you for pointing this out, looks really promising.
MrRobotandMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrRobotandMe
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I also wish more people would talk/buy this game, it's really a tragedy because this game is utterly AMAZING! I've been playing this non-stop for the past few hours now and for the love of me, I can't put it down. Here's something interesting I think is worth mentioning: Prior to buying Clash of Heroes, I had scoured many websites and forums to see what the general players had thought of the game, and to my surprise, I didn't come upon a bad review. Not a single one. There were however, minor negative comments, most of whom were from people how had not played the game, wailing about the new art direction the series had taken. I do understand why people would complain about the that (which in my opinion is still wonderful), but overlook this and you will find a hidden gem of a game that will keep you entertained and compelled to play for a long time. It's really that good.
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
On metacritic Clash of Heroes is the 17th highest rated DS game and it will probably move up with more reviews. That has to help the sales quite a bit.
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Thank you for telling me.:) I'll get it in spring after I'm done with buying Wii games.

shogoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shogoh
Member since 2003 • 571 Posts

I purchased this game last wednesday and I'm hooked! You must try it if you like puzzle/strategy games. This game will last me a long time.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SirSpudly

I almost hate to bring this up, but this game will be on sale at Best Buy starting tomorrow for $20.

If you're on the edge, this will likely push you over. First Week buyers can also use it to get $10 from most reputable dealers.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#13 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

this game will be on sale

SirSpudly

Sweet, glad I waited to buy it. I know where I'll be going tomorrow!

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SirSpudly

[QUOTE="SirSpudly"]

SiK99

I like what you did with my post.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SiK99

[QUOTE="SiK99"]

[QUOTE="SirSpudly"]

SirSpudly

I like what you did with my post.

Just in case ;-)
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I'll definetly check it out. Though Knights in the Nightmare has me currently hooked.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story
It's great to hear everyone is loving this game! I would've loved to pick this game up for $20. That would've been a steal because even at full price, it's worth every single penny! That's how good this game is!
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BattleTurtles
It's great to hear everyone is loving this game! I would've loved to pick this game up for $20. That would've been a steal because even at full price, it's worth every single penny! That's how good this game is!ASK_Story
If you want more people to buy it, you should put this thread in General Games and System Wars. The DS forum is kind of underpopulated,
Omgitsthepope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Omgitsthepope
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

Color me interested but how exactly does the gameplay work in this game?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story

Omgitsthepope
It's really difficult to explain everything. But trust me on this, the gameplay works! It's amazingly balanced and although it'd be tough to explain everything on paper, it comes together wonderfully when you play it. This is the type of game where you have to experience it for yourself. It looks complicated by videos, reviews, or screenshots, but once I played it and learned the basics, it's the most addicting and strategically deepest DS puzzle/SRPG game I've ever played.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Personally, I find Knights in the Nightmare the deepest DS sRPG title available on the market, but Clash of Heroes is still a top-tier strategy game. I just don't like the generic anime style it has going for it, but the game is a winner for fans of Puzzle Quest and puzzle RPG titles (Galactrix, etc.). The game is more strategy than it is RPG however. It has level up mechanics, but the levels quickly cap out, forcing you to rely on actual strategy. You cannot easily grind yourself in this game, you actually rely on critical thinking over uber stats.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SirSpudly

KiTN might be deep, but it is also brutal. A game to obsess over for sure.

As far as how this game handles, look here. There is an over world and you walk to confront your enemies. Then in battle you are given a random order of allies to control. At that point, you play a few turns of Puzzle League (Or Puyo Puyo) to combine similar allies to power them up. Only twist is that you can only move units to the end of the line or take units away to become your backup. Combining three or so gives you an extra move and moves all three to the front, where they will then charge the enemy after a few turns.

The hard part is getting past the opponent's allies and hitting him directly. Which is how you take their life bar down. There are spells that help too, rewarding a good strategy with a good hit on your opponent.

Omgitsthepope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Omgitsthepope
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

[QUOTE="Omgitsthepope"]

ASK_Story

It's really difficult to explain everything. But trust me on this, the gameplay works! It's amazingly balanced and although it'd be tough to explain everything on paper, it comes together wonderfully when you play it. This is the type of game where you have to experience it for yourself. It looks complicated by videos, reviews, or screenshots, but once I played it and learned the basics, it's the most addicting and strategically deepest DS puzzle/SRPG game I've ever played.

thank you and the other two responses. I guess I'll just have to take the plunge. The 20 dollar deal does makes it hard not to anyways.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="Brainhunter"]Personally, I find Knights in the Nightmare the deepest DS sRPG title available on the market, but Clash of Heroes is still a top-tier strategy game. I just don't like the generic anime style it has going for it, but the game is a winner for fans of Puzzle Quest and puzzle RPG titles (Galactrix, etc.). The game is more strategy than it is RPG however. It has level up mechanics, but the levels quickly cap out, forcing you to rely on actual strategy. You cannot easily grind yourself in this game, you actually rely on critical thinking over uber stats.

Knights in the Nightmare isn't for everybody. It's brutal, overly complicated, and only for the hardcore. I can get into it but like I said, it's not for everyone. It may be cool at first but it can get daunting after awhile unless you're patient and can get into it. The developers behind the game tend to make very complicated strategy games, like Yygra Union, which was tough to get into. But once you learn the game, it can get pretty rewarding. In my opinion, simple is always better when it comes to puzzle games which is why I prefer Might & Magic. I really believe just because Knights may have a much more complicated system doesn't necessarily mean it's deeper. For example, Tetris is simple as can be but it's still the deepest and most perfect puzzle game ever made.
gamefree2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamefree2
Member since 2006 • 2073 Posts

Looks like a good game.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BattleTurtles

KiTN might be deep, but it is also brutal. A game to obsess over for sure.

As far as how this game handles, look here. There is an over world and you walk to confront your enemies. Then in battle you are given a random order of allies to control. At that point, you play a few turns of Puzzle League (Or Puyo Puyo) to combine similar allies to power them up. Only twist is that you can only move units to the end of the line or take units away to become your backup. Combining three or so gives you an extra move and moves all three to the front, where they will then charge the enemy after a few turns.

The hard part is getting past the opponent's allies and hitting him directly. Which is how you take their life bar down. There are spells that help too, rewarding a good strategy with a good hit on your opponent.

SirSpudly
Every comment in that video was either "Not getting it, getting it used, pirating it." :(
SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SiK99
Just picked it up today from BB and I'm having a blast with it. Now I wish I hadn't been playing Bookworm DS for most of the day so I could have gotten into the game sooner. Even at full price, this game would have been worth the purchase.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I picked it up the day before it went on sale :(

That said, at least it's an awesome game and worth the $30.00 I paid for it.

I will say it's one of the better DS games out there.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story
It further shows how great this game is when everyone says it's worth the full retail price for it, even though getting it cheaper is always better of course!
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

My interest has been piqued.