Metroid Other M is more Metroid then the Prime games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Metroid Other M is more Metroid then thePrime games. Don't get me wrong I love the Prime games their great in there own right. Other M feels more likeMetroid then Prime. Other M is what Metroid should be minus the whinning Samus and lack of exploration. If they could make a game with the feel of Other M on the scale of Super Metorid itcould have been great. Samus belongs in 3rd person.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
 Just in case the die hards see this. Personally, I felt the Prime games had more of a Metroid feeling, but Other M had its merits like funner combat.
oleface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 oleface
Member since 2004 • 435 Posts

other m is no where close,stupid story line makes samus look like apunk easyto beat and worst of the feel of exploration is gone!

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#4 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Other M is what Metroid should be minus the whinning Samus and lack of exploration..

jdc6305

So then, it's not what Metroid should be?

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm not saying Other M is Better then Prime. What I'm saying is Other M was a step in the right direction for Metroid 3rd person. Other M had some major flaws which kept it from being as good as previous Metroids. If Other M could have been on the scale of Super Metroid with exploration it could have been just as great.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i think the point is somewhat valid for prime 2 and 3. but the first prime nailed it so well it's amazing.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
For me Prime had just the feeling of the other games. Desolate world, you feel alone and a great game atmosphere. Admittedly I haven't played Other M so I am not going to judge if it does better but I know Prime had that feeling. Now the Prime 2 and 3 built up a world and in 3 you saw a Halo esque feeling arise at parts. I loved it although I could understand an argument against it. I am not against the changing of ideas in most places.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Hmm... I gotta disagree...
The only similarity Other M and the 2D Metroids had was being in 3rd person and having Samus as the main character.
Metroid Prime had the exploration, the isolation, and the feel of a Metroid game, only in 3D with FPS elements.

Other M isn't a bad game, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone as their first Metroid game.

everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

other m is no where close,stupid story line makes samus look like apunk easyto beat and worst of the feel of exploration is gone!

oleface

I will agree with the lack of exploration but a punk. Very stupid comment. I mean come on, she has emotion and they add a little bit of humanity in her and its 'boo hoo tantrum time.' call her a punk in Other M but, and correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't she...win?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think the point is somewhat valid for prime 2 and 3. but the first prime nailed it so well it's amazing.

I would say Prime 3 nailed the gameplay really well and actually expanded on it, by having you go to different planets vs trapping you in one spot.
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

oleface

You should buy yoursefl an RPG, like Xenoblade. Metroid originally was an action adventure platformer. Think of Return of Samus, Super Metroid, Zero Mission and of course Fusion. Amazing games with minimum exploration with story line consisting of crossing from point A to B. But every single of it is a milestone in the gaming world.

I enjoyed Other M very much. Of course it's smoething different from Prime but still was cool :) First of all Other M and Prime shouldn't be compared with eachoter since both are different genre. The comparision is like this: I hate Prince of Persia because I played Call of Duty - pointless andwithout substantive meaning.

The only thing I can complain about Other M is that Samus looks way to sexy and feminine as for Nintendo standards. So if you think Other M is to easy than beat hard mode :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts
I disagree. The only thing more Metroid about Other M is the camera angle.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Metroid as a franchise has been constantly evolving and changing since its creation. The only games in the series that have been remarkably similar are Super, Prime, and Zero Mission. I, and many other fans agree, that those three games firmly represent and define "metroidvania". All of the others have shared many similar elements, concepts, and ideas with those, but have also had some very key differences. With Metroid II probably being the most stringent member, and Other M as a close second.
Avatar image for JediMasterSamus
JediMasterSamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JediMasterSamus
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

I think the Prime games were better Metroid games, but I definitely see what you are getting at. I would love to see them make another 3rd person Metroid.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think the point is somewhat valid for prime 2 and 3. but the first prime nailed it so well it's amazing.

I would say Prime 3 nailed the gameplay really well and actually expanded on it, by having you go to different planets vs trapping you in one spot.

but the planet travelling killed the multiple secret routes, and prime 1 just felt like grabbing an old metroid game and "3Dfying" it. the setting, exploration and atmosphere were done in a way none of the others could.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath
Nothing wrong with that, the series has to see some change. Its like when I was reading that insanely over exaggerated story on 1up about how Other M killed the franchise. I mean even if I hated the game with a passion, one game in a series that spans 25yrs killed the series? really? But I digress lol, when I was reading that, I was thinking and if every Metroid had been Super Metroid since 1994, people would be talking about how the series has stagnated. The series has to do different things every now and then to stay fresh and I think Corruption is the best example of that. It kept the soul of the series intact, but added new features to really freshen it up.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, the series has to see some change. Its like when I was reading that insanely over exaggerated story on 1up about how Other M killed the franchise. I mean even if I hated the game with a passion, one game in a series that spans 25yrs killed the series? really? But I digress lol, when I was reading that, I was thinking and if every Metroid had been Super Metroid since 1994, people would be talking about how the series has stagnated. The series has to do different things every now and then to stay fresh and I think Corruption is the best example of that. It kept the soul of the series intact, but added new features to really freshen it up. Sepewrath
Ah, the mystery of fanboyism. Keep things the same and people whine for change. Change things up a bit and people whine for more of the same.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Nothing wrong with that, the series has to see some change. Its like when I was reading that insanely over exaggerated story on 1up about how Other M killed the franchise. I mean even if I hated the game with a passion, one game in a series that spans 25yrs killed the series? really? But I digress lol, when I was reading that, I was thinking and if every Metroid had been Super Metroid since 1994, people would be talking about how the series has stagnated. The series has to do different things every now and then to stay fresh and I think Corruption is the best example of that. It kept the soul of the series intact, but added new features to really freshen it up. TheFallenDemon
Ah, the mystery of fanboyism. Keep things the same and people whine for change. Change things up a bit and people whine for more of the same.

You act like there's something wrong with being a fanboy. :?

What you posted there is just the generalization of veteran gamers, not just restricted to "fanboyism"

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Nothing wrong with that, the series has to see some change. Its like when I was reading that insanely over exaggerated story on 1up about how Other M killed the franchise. I mean even if I hated the game with a passion, one game in a series that spans 25yrs killed the series? really? But I digress lol, when I was reading that, I was thinking and if every Metroid had been Super Metroid since 1994, people would be talking about how the series has stagnated. The series has to do different things every now and then to stay fresh and I think Corruption is the best example of that. It kept the soul of the series intact, but added new features to really freshen it up. wiifan001

What you posted there is just the generalization of veteran gamers, not just restricted to "fanboyism"

actually being a "fanboy" is a bad thing, as it limits your views of everything but what you idolize. there's a difference between a fan and a fanboy. a fan is someone who really likes something. a fanboy really likes something and thinks if it's not that, then it's bad.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiifan001
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"] Ah, the mystery of fanboyism. Keep things the same and people whine for change. Change things up a bit and people whine for more of the same.BrunoBRS

actually being a "fanboy" is a bad thing, as it limits your views of everything but what you idolize. there's a difference between a fan and a fanboy. a fan is someone who really likes something. a fanboy really likes something and thinks if it's not that, then it's bad.

And who coined that term? The same people who revert to disputing hardcore vs kiddy games? The same people who refuse to play "kiddy" games? The same people who've grown into a delusional manner of pixilated trophies and upping some insignificant number thinking that it's really of significance? The people who defend Grand Crap Auto 4 for controlling a terrorist? The people who looked at that fake rts of Slavery The Game trailer and thought the concept of brutally beating your slaves and selling them as entertainment was NOT going too far? Or is it the people who accuse Nintendo of coming up with zero innovation and refer to the new control schemes and other new ideas from Nintendo as "gimmicks?" The same people who coin the systems you own labels you as a freekin animal? I'm not going to just be referred as a sheep because I own only a wii. I coin my own definition to "fanboy." I hold to Nintendo platforms, nothing more. I don't know much what goes on beyond Nintendo, I don't really think I want to know. Fanboy = GOOD thing. I made it happen. You're welcome.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Well its pointless to argue semantics, but the take home is, as a gamer, you do yourself a disservice by blindly following something or blindly hating it. You miss out on a lot of great games doing that. So whatever you want to call someone, who refuses to play a game like Galaxy 2 because its on a Nintendo platform or Uncharted because its a Sony platform, their not doing themselves any favors.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiifan001

Well its pointless to argue semantics, but the take home is, as a gamer, you do yourself a disservice by blindly following something or blindly hating it. You miss out on a lot of great games doing that. So whatever you want to call someone, who refuses to play a game like Galaxy 2 because its on a Nintendo platform or Uncharted because its a Sony platform, their not doing themselves any favors. Sepewrath

There are several dozens of good wii games out there, including several dozens of wii games I've played and many, many more I would like to play that I haven't gotten around to yet. I'm sure there are many who appreciate Sony/Microsoft almost as much as I do of Nintendo. To an extent that's fine. I mean I'll never say to anyone "You like Grand Crap Auto 4, the game controlling a terrorist but that's fine because YOU enjoy it" I'm not going to say that. But fans who like ps3 because of LittleBigPlanet along with a series of games that I would otherwise say that's cool (as opposed to freekin Modern Warfare 2 and others) are all right.

Oh and about that "disservice" part: not if the game is so over the top ridiculous to the point of prostitution, murdering innocent bystanders, slavery promotion, etc. It wouldn't matter if that game got "game of the decade" I won't buy it nor support it. Matter of fact, it's probably a disservice to those who DO support a game like that which includes but not limited to Grand Crap Auto.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I'm not saying Other M is Better then Prime. What I'm saying is Other M was a step in the right direction for Metroid 3rd person. Other M had some major flaws which kept it from being as good as previous Metroids. If Other M could have been on the scale of Super Metroid with exploration it could have been just as great.

jdc6305
All they had to do was make Shadow Complex, but with a Metroid skin, and less of an emphasis on story because clearly they have the deft touch of a pro wrestler. It would have been AWESOME. They failed.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think the point is somewhat valid for prime 2 and 3. but the first prime nailed it so well it's amazing.

I was going to say the same thing, but with metroid prime 2 :P
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
lol Prime 2 always makes me think of A Link to the Past.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS
lol Prime 2 always makes me think of A Link to the Past. Sepewrath
prime 2 reminds me of my obsession with ammo and full health. and i hate every moment inside the dark world.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Kind of agree and kind of disagree. Other M was great in that it went back to third person Metroid. I loved the trilogy by Retro, but honestly Samus lost her agility by going first person and we also lost that third person feel from going first person. In terms of how it was structured, I was expecting it to be like Super Metroid, but it was more of an action game. Taking the game for what it was and listening to what the developers wanted to accomplish, it's a pretty damn good game. Looking at what my expectations of it were, it fell flat. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's certainly not what I expected, but after some reconsideration, I still like it for what it was. Though, it still has problems that annoy me. It strayed too far into holding your hand, where as something like Metroid Fusion was a perfect balance of guiding you in the right direction. Fusion tells you where to go but it lets you figure out the path there, where as Other M told you how to get there as well Lastly, going back to what Sepewrath mentioned, if ever Metroid game was like Super Metroid, the series would be stagnant. The greatest thing about a lot of Nintendo's IPs is that they keep most of the core fundamentally the say while changing different aspects -- maybe Other M was too much of a radical change, but I still enjoyed it.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
there are flaws with other m...but the action gameplay is awesome. the game is very good overall. I prefered the prime series, but i liked the new direction other m took and i hope they do a sequel. but there wasnt any getting lost exploration and i missed that. also, the i agree with metroid should be 3rd person.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#29 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Other M was a dissapointment the combat was easy to learn and the lack of not finding power ups sucked whereas Prime just nailed it with atmosphere,locations,weapons and most importantly exploration plus Samus wasn't a boring character in that game.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

I didn't think Other M felt much like a Metroid game at all... no desolation, the atmosphere was all wrong (I hated the generic environments and when you could see the metal parts of the ship... ugh), too linear. Metroid Prime really did nail the Metroid feeling. 2 and 3... eh, not as much, but they were still great.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I didn't think Other M felt much like a Metroid game at all... no desolation, the atmosphere was all wrong (I hated the generic environments and when you could see the metal parts of the ship... ugh), too linear. Metroid Prime really did nail the Metroid feeling. 2 and 3... eh, not as much, but they were still great.

fluffy_kins

Metroid Prime nailed the feeling of Super Metroid in first person.

All the Metroid games have felt like Metroid. Other M was the one that took the most departure from the core Metroid mechanics, but was still fairly good at what it set out to do, be an action oriented Metroid title.

The best mix of old and new to me is still Metroid Fusion.