Lost in Shadow and Baroque

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for JYoungin20years
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JYoungin20years
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

Has anyone here played either of these games like I have?

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

How was Lost In Shadows?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I played Lost in Shadow over the summer. It was a pretty neat game although it got a little tedious over time. cool concept.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I played Baroque. A lot.

It's one of the worst games I've ever played (not counting Harry Potter 7: Part 1 for DS of course).

Don't know about Lost in Shadow.

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JYoungin20years

How was Lost In Shadows?

Euaggelistes

Amazing.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

How was Lost In Shadows?

Euaggelistes
I thought it was really tedious and boring once the novelty of the art style wore off. The game has some of the worst cases of artificial lengthening I've seen in a game, and that's not an exaggeration. If they had taken out all the pointless "You have to go back and get this" quests, it would've been much more enjoyable.
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JYoungin20years

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

How was Lost In Shadows?

1PMrFister

I thought it was really tedious and boring once the novelty of the art style wore off. The game has some of the worst cases of artificial lengthening I've seen in a game, and that's not an exaggeration. If they had taken out all the pointless "You have to go back and get this" quests, it would've been much more enjoyable.

Yeah, damn those developers for putting some challenge into their games! Lost in Shadow is an excellent example of platforming innovation this generation. But, naturally, you'll disagree with me.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1PMrFister

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

How was Lost In Shadows?

JYoungin20years

Yeah, damn those developers for putting some challenge into their games! Lost in Shadow is an excellent example of platforming innovation this generation. But, naturally, you'll disagree with me.

Please don't twist my words. Challenge is not the issue here (the game's relatively easy from beginning to end regardless). The problem is the game goes on for far too long. The puzzle mechanics and art style are cool at first, but the game stops building on them in any meaningful way halfway through, and it gets monotonous really quick. It's made even worse by the massive amounts of padding, especially getting all the memories at the end. Having to trudge through the tower all over again just to grab a bunch of Macguffins, especially with the generally slow pacing of the game, is not fun, it's just really tedious and pointless. Again, had they dealt with these issues, they could've had something great, but it's just too monotonous for me to recommend picking it up at anything more than a bargain-bin price.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I was kind of interested in Lost In shadow, and I heard Baroque sucks as a game but the story is great.

Anyone play Fragile Dreams? I'm thinking of picking it up soon.

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JYoungin20years

[QUOTE="JYoungin20years"]

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"] I thought it was really tedious and boring once the novelty of the art style wore off. The game has some of the worst cases of artificial lengthening I've seen in a game, and that's not an exaggeration. If they had taken out all the pointless "You have to go back and get this" quests, it would've been much more enjoyable.1PMrFister

Please don't twist my words. Challenge is not the issue here (the game's relatively easy from beginning to end regardless). The problem is the game goes on for far too long. The puzzle mechanics and art style are cool at first, but the game stops building on them in any meaningful way halfway through, and it gets monotonous really quick. It's made even worse by the massive amounts of padding, especially getting all the memories at the end. Having to trudge through the tower all over again just to grab a bunch of Macguffins, especially with the generally slow pacing of the game, is not fun, it's just really tedious and pointless. Again, had they dealt with these issues, they could've had something great, but it's just too monotonous for me to recommend picking it up at anything more than a bargain-bin price.

So, what it all comes down to, is you being lazy enough to not finish 100 hour games that are universally agreed upon as having launched gaming into the next world. I finished many games when I was 10, such as Earthbound, and I find Earthbound quite easy, because I know everything about it. By the way, what makes the game tedious and pointless in those areas? I'd like to know, as I'm not seeing any problems with it other than superficial ones.

stonegolem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stonegolem
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

Baroque is quite hard to get used to, but it's still one of my favorite wii games. You have to watch a couple of long gameplay videos on youtube to see if it fits you. That game needs dedication,and many causal gamers hate that game.

Baroque is one of the very few games on wii which has Randomly Generated Maps!

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i liked Baroque it was different kind of game and not for every body most hated it
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 1PMrFister

turtlethetaffer
I have. The story's pretty decent, but the gameplay is really clunky and boring. You spend most of the game stumbling from one area to the next, reading an endless amount of dialogue and diaries, and mashing the attack button whenever a monster pops up. There's also a particularly annoying fetch quest halfway through, and the last third of the game takes place almost exclusively in a bunch of bland tunnels and sewers. It's worth a playthrough if you're into the kind of story it has, but otherwise, I'd just skip it.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="JYoungin20years"]

JYoungin20years

So, what it all comes down to, is you being lazy enough to not finish 100 hour games that are universally agreed upon as having launched gaming into the next world. I finished many games when I was 10, such as Earthbound, and I find Earthbound quite easy, because I know everything about it. By the way, what makes the game tedious and pointless in those areas? I'd like to know, as I'm not seeing any problems with it other than superficial ones.

Going back to the same areas 5 times just to pick something else is rather annoying. Especially when you have to jump through hoops to get back there; They're not even fun hoops because the hoops are puzzles that you've previously solved. I see where 1PMrFister is coming from. It's a reasonable complaint. Also the combat was pretty bad. I think it warrants a play for the art style, but it does get tedious/annoying towards the end.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Wow I remember having heard of Baroque way before its release date and then never heard of it again. No review, nothing. Was it any good?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Minishdriveby

Wow I remember having heard of Baroque way before its release date and then never heard of it again. No review, nothing. Was it any good?

KungfuKitten
Baroque got a 6.5 on gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/baroque/reviews/baroque-review-6189382/
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JYoungin20years

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

Minishdriveby

Baroque got a 6.5 on gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/baroque/reviews/baroque-review-6189382/

Baroque deserves better than a 6.5. I know, because this site has awful reviews of everything.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

1PMrFister

I have. The story's pretty decent, but the gameplay is really clunky and boring. You spend most of the game stumbling from one area to the next, reading an endless amount of dialogue and diaries, and mashing the attack button whenever a monster pops up. There's also a particularly annoying fetch quest halfway through, and the last third of the game takes place almost exclusively in a bunch of bland tunnels and sewers. It's worth a playthrough if you're into the kind of story it has, but otherwise, I'd just skip it.

Yeah I have read about the story and I'm intrigued. From reviews, I have kind of gathered that you need to be into the subject matter and atmosphere in order to really enjoy it. It looks like I'd enjoy it... I mean I just finished Theresia on Ds and I love it. But it has its problems.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

If I remember correctly, wasn't Lost In Shadow originally supposed to be a Wiiware release? Maybe punching it up to full retail was the reason all of the padding was added?

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rod90
[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

1PMrFister

I have the game too. And i will have to disagree with you 1PMrFister. It's true that the controls are clunky (there's not better word to describe them) and annoying, but in this specific game, the "fun" of playing it goes beyong the fighting mechanics and the story. It's the feeling that invades the player in the process, in how it transmit the loneliness of the world you are. That may of course not appeal to every gamer, but Fragile Dreams was one of the most unique games this generation, and it's not stupid like Baroque.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1PMrFister
[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Rod90

I have the game too. And i will have to disagree with you 1PMrFister. It's true that the controls are clunky (there's not better word to describe them) and annoying, but in this specific game, the "fun" of playing it goes beyong the fighting mechanics and the story. It's the feeling that invades the player in the process, in how it transmit the loneliness of the world you are. That may of course not appeal to every gamer, but Fragile Dreams was one of the most unique games this generation, and it's not stupid like Baroque.

I think that's what I said more or less. If you're not into the kind of atmosphere and story that Fragile Dreams has, there's no reason for you to play it. I do recommend it for those who are, but there are a lot of slow moments to wade through.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

KungfuKitten
i thought it was a great horror dungeon crawler but not many liked it, it had a lot of odd aspects to it like on how the player was meant to die, and even thro the tower was only like 20 floors there was so much to do and some things were so vague that the player wouldn't know what the npc on that floor wanted and the game was pretty hard and most likely you can find it really cheap online
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rod90
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

elbert_b_23
i thought it was a great horror dungeon crawler but not many liked it, it had a lot of odd aspects to it like on how the player was meant to die, and even thro the tower was only like 20 floors there was so much to do and some things were so vague that the player wouldn't know what the npc on that floor wanted and the game was pretty hard and most likely you can find it really cheap online

You never actually knew when you "finish" the game...
Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Anyone play Fragile Dreams? I'm thinking of picking it up soon.turtlethetaffer
Beautiful game. I love that game but you might find the gameplay a bit boring after awhile.