Language learning on Nintendo DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dustupper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dustupper
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The potential of Nintendo DS as a language learning tool is very high, in my opinion. Too bad it is only potential. In 6-7 years of existence, we haven't seen any legitimate offerings in terms of language-learning software. The closest anything has come has been UBI's My Language Coach Series. This series has been almost universally panned due to the prevalence of errors relating to translation, stroke order, and other important elements of language learning. So it doesn't even matter what language you want to learn - whether it's Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, or whatever - My Coach is riddled with errors. How they managed to screw up every single game in their line is beyond me. Does anyone have any idea if we will ever see decent language-learning DS software, or if there are any decent alternatives to UBI Soft's crap out there that I just overlooked?
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

just going on the internet or taking classes seems easier and more effective to me

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

good ,u are great!!

TheCommonGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCommonGamer
[QUOTE="dustupper"]The potential of Nintendo DS as a language learning tool is very high, in my opinion. Too bad it is only potential. In 6-7 years of existence, we haven't seen any legitimate offerings in terms of language-learning software. The closest anything has come has been UBI's My Language Coach Series. This series has been almost universally panned due to the prevalence of errors relating to translation, stroke order, and other important elements of language learning. So it doesn't even matter what language you want to learn - whether it's Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, or whatever - My Coach is riddled with errors. How they managed to screw up every single game in their line is beyond me. Does anyone have any idea if we will ever see decent language-learning DS software, or if there are any decent alternatives to UBI Soft's crap out there that I just overlooked?

I don't think specific softwares are necessary, it's really easy to learn english by just playing games like the FF series, that got tons of dialogues, and if you see an unknown word, just look it on the dictionary.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

A friend of mine had a Japanese learning game on the DS. Said it was pretty effective.

dustupper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dustupper
Can you post the name of it
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Can you post the name of itdustupper
My Japanese Coach. It's the only one.
jannine80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jannine80
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

I don't think specific softwares are necessary, it's really easy to learn english by just playing games like the FF series, that got tons of dialogues, and if you see an unknown word, just look it on the dictionary.TheCommonGamer

ye,i think learn a language is not so hard,and interent provides such a good study platform for us.

Yenlamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Yenlamin

I didn't find the language learning software on the DS very useful. Sure, it had it's good points (actually having to speak the word into the mic springs to mind) but it's just not as effective as cranking out a proper study guide and taking notes. I think this software would be better suited as a "refresher" while you sat on the bus or something.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 trugs26

[QUOTE="dustupper"]Can you post the name of itRod90

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Coach

There is quite a few more. French, Spanish, Chinese and English (and intemediate versions too).

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="dustupper"]Can you post the name of itRod90

Yeah, I kinda like using it too I don't use it by itself but more so of a complement to other things that use/do. I like that you can learn to write the Katakana and Hiragana (and the fact that you can speak the word into the mic) w/ it but at the same time I somewhat lament at the fact that they rely too much on Romanji. But I haven't gotten deep into it yet and from what I hear later on, the more you get into using, less its (Romanji) is used.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="dustupper"]Can you post the name of ittrugs26

There is quite a few more. French, Spanish, Chinese and English (and intemediate versions too).

It's the only one for JAPANESE learning.

Here's the conversation:

-A friend of mine had a Japanese learning game on the DS. Said it was pretty effective.

-Can you post the name of it?

-My Japanese Coach. It's the only one.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="Rod90"] My Japanese Coach. It's the only one.Rod90

It's the only one for JAPANESE learning.

Here's the conversation:

-A friend of mine had a Japanese learning game on the DS. Said it was pretty effective.

-Can you post the name of it?

-My Japanese Coach. It's the only one.

Oh ok, fair enough. But still, the topic is about all DS language learning games.