Is Wii still the best family gaming console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SlackCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SlackCycle
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm looking to get a gaming console for my family. I have 2 children ages 3 and 7. So it is key for me to have a console that has games geared to young kids. Also games that we can play together. And the motion control I think is great for this. Initially I was set to go for the wii. Now I'm having some doubts. Here's why: 1) My understanding is that the wii as it is soon going to be discontinued and replaced by WiiU, so few new games or support will be directed at thewii. 2)The xbox with kinect looks good and seems to have moved a bit into the family gaming area. Doubts about xbox: Is it as intuitive to use. I've seen several places say that the wii's simplicity is better for young kids. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Despite the fact most of us would rather shake off the "kiddy" aspect of the Wii, yes, It's probably the best console for young kids and family games. It has the most party and family games, the controls on most are good, and most even people who don't game can get into the loop.

You wouldn't have to worry about it being discontinued too much as while Nintendo will stop making games for it, you can guarantee that many 3rd party companies will continue to shovel out cheaper shovelware do to the fact that the Wii is cheaper to produce for, and even if they don't, There are just too many games for the Wii to worry about lack of games (well over 1000 last I checked).

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I'm looking to get a gaming console for my family. I have 2 children ages 3 and 7. So it is key for me to have a console that has games geared to young kids. Also games that we can play together. And the motion control I think is great for this. Initially I was set to go for the wii. Now I'm having some doubts. Here's why: 1) My understanding is that the wii as it is soon going to be discontinued and replaced by WiiU, so few new games or support will be directed at thewii. 2)The xbox with kinect looks good and seems to have moved a bit into the family gaming area. Doubts about xbox: Is it as intuitive to use. I've seen several places say that the wii's simplicity is better for young kids. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.SlackCycle
If you'd prefer not to wait until Chrismas for the Wii U (the price shouldn't be an issue if you're willing to fork out for a 360 and Kinect), then yeah, the Wii is probably most suited to families. If they are fans of Mario and Zelda, then it shouldn't be a difficult decision. Just remember that the Wii U will be able to play all Wii games too before you purchase a Wii though and my advice is don't pay more than $150 for a Wii.

The 360 has family-friendly games, but most are Kinect games, that might lack lasting appeal depending on your kids' tastes (mind you, Kinectimals seems cute, though I've never played it). In terms of non-Kinect games, you have Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Kameo, but they might be a bit too complex for kids. It has some decent Sonic games though (as does the PS3) and Viva Pinata 1 and 2 are good party games.

As for the PS3, Sly Cooper games, the Ratchet and Clank Future series and LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 are very kid friendly and accessible. It even has a kart racing game - ModNation Racers although I don't care for it myself (floaty controls and very long load times). And then you have an iffy selection of PlayStation Move games. Still a better system for young players than the Xbox 360 imho.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I would recommend a Wii over a Kinect. Yes, it's true that the Wii won't be getting many new releases in the coming months, but it is much cheaper than Kinect (unless you already own a 360) and has a huge backlog of quality, kid friendly games.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Any console can be a family console. The Wii simply has the most varied library when it comes to software. And of course its user interface is simpler for kids to handle, no concerns about updates, installing games etc every week. So a little kid should be able to operate a Wii with no concern.
Blazember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Blazember
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

Get a Wii. There's nothing wrong with getting older games if your kids haven't played them before. About support, Wii services will still be up for years to come, even if there are no updates there's nothing wrong with that, the updates don't really do anything anyways. Yes the PS3 has more kid game selection now but definitely not anywhere as good as the Wii still, and I like the Move, doen't feel accurate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

360 I'd say. If I had really young children, and allowed them to play games, the "no controller" thing would be a huge bonus.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

idk....

a year ago i would have said wii...

depends... do you like the wiimote?...the pack-in-game wiisports and mario kart are definitely the best family games for wii.. check videos of those 2 games..they are awesome.

if you guys think kinect is cooler than a wiimote then get that..

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Wii60 is your best option.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I have three children (9, 3 and 2) and we love the Wii. There are a ton of games that you should be able to play with your children. Kirby's Epic Yarn and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are two platformers that you can play together with features that allow a more skilled gamer to carry a less skilled gamer through a level. Mario Kart Wii has a very intuitive control scheme with the Wii Wheel. All of my children love Skylander's: Spyro's Adventures which is an action adventure game that works with collectible figurines. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a very simplistic fighter that features a ton of Nintendo characters that your children are sure to love. Mario Party 9 comes out tomorrow (we plan on picking it up) and Fortune Street are fune board game style video games. There are a ton more that I could go into. Definitely a family friendly and fun console.

Outside of the Dance Central games (or whatever they are called) I have not seen anything all that compelling for the Kinect. This is coming from a wicked biased Nintendo fan though so take that with a grain of salt ;)

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
I have close to 150 games for my Wii, VC and Wiiware included. But i have only about 20 for my PS3. Wii is the best gaming console created when it comes to video games overall. Maybe not with graphics, but the diversity of quality games is unmatched expect by PC. But PCs dont have nintendo games technically...(yea a few of you have emulators im sure)
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Wii60 is your best option.ZumaJones07
I rather not ask...?
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I say it is. Cheapest and definitely the most reliable console on the market. A ton of mtoion oriented games and classics like mario kart (though i dont like the Wii one).