Is the Wii worth getting this late in the generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts

I was thinking about getting a Wii with my income tax. Is it worth $130? If so, what games should I look into?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
The wiiu is out y bother with wii? If u do get one get older used one with GC play
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

The wiiu is out y bother with wii? If u do get one get older used one with GC play AutoPilotOn

Think about that. He didn't care enough about the Wii to consider getting one until now, do you honestly think he's going to be into the Wii U enough to drop 300+ dollars on one just to play Wii games...?

TC, if there are enough games that you want, go for it. The system is dirt cheap right now, you have an entire library to choose from, and most of the best games are dirt cheap.

Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cyanide4Suicid3

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]The wiiu is out y bother with wii? If u do get one get older used one with GC play WreckEm711

Think about that. He didn't care enough about the Wii to consider getting one until now, do you honestly think he's going to be into the Wii U enough to drop 300+ dollars on one just to play Wii games...?

TC, if there are enough games that you want, go for it. The system is dirt cheap right now, you have an entire library to choose from, and most of the best games are dirt cheap.

See, I only want a few games. Maybe The Conduit, and definitely Mad World. Perhaps some of the Mario titles. Id mainly be getting it so my wife would play because she wants it more than I do, lol. And no, Im not going to drop $300+ on the WiiU when Im not even sure if I want the Wii, lol.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]The wiiu is out y bother with wii? If u do get one get older used one with GC play Cyanide4Suicid3

See, I only want a few games. Maybe The Conduit, and definitely Mad World. Perhaps some of the Mario titles. Id mainly be getting it so my wife would play because she wants it more than I do, lol. And no, Im not going to drop $300+ on the WiiU when Im not even sure if I want the Wii, lol.

Go for it, I've got a ton of games for our Wii that my wife loves to play. Wii Party, the Just Dance games (4 probably has the best track list, pending her tastes), and TV Show King 2 (pretty awesome party trivia game). Not sure what kind of games your wife likes, but so far my wife and her friends love those three.

If you're into Mad World, you should definitely look into Red Steel 2 also, it's awesome!

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11998 Posts

This is the perfect time to buy the Wii(horrendous name). The console is cheaper and many of the games are on sale.  Plus, the games aren't going to look/get much better for another year or two since the WiiU's(even worse than the Wii's name)console cycle is just beginning.

Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cyanide4Suicid3

[QUOTE="Cyanide4Suicid3"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

Go for it, I've got a ton of games for our Wii that my wife loves to play. Wii Party, the Just Dance games (4 probably has the best track list, pending her tastes), and TV Show King 2 (pretty awesome party trivia game). Not sure what kind of games your wife likes, but so far my wife and her friends love those three.

If you're into Mad World, you should definitely look into Red Steel 2 also, it's awesome!

I completely forgot about that game, lol.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Cyanide4Suicid3"] See, I only want a few games. Maybe The Conduit, and definitely Mad World. Perhaps some of the Mario titles. Id mainly be getting it so my wife would play because she wants it more than I do, lol. And no, Im not going to drop $300+ on the WiiU when Im not even sure if I want the Wii, lol. Cyanide4Suicid3

I completely forgot about that game, lol.

Lol yeah it died out pretty fast, really fun though and you can find it like like 9 dollars new with the motion plus attachment :P Even cheaper used without it. No More Heroes is really cool too in a similar vein as Madworld

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm assuming that's US$130. Which is pretty good, but I've seen much cheaper. Especially second hand. And also, the second hand ones will be more likely to have GC playback (if you're interested in that).

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

If you want to play Red Steel 2, you should get a new Wii as you will need motion plus and I believe they come with a motion plus controller. Otherwise, you will need to buy the controller seperately. Conduit 2 also can use motion plus. If you want to play Game Cube games, you will need to buy an older one. But, again, you will need to buy a seperate Game Cube controller and memory card to play.

There is a lot of fun to be had with a Wii and most games should be cheap.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

i say break bad and get a wii u. it has backwards compatibility with the wii plus all the benefits of being a new gen console. the ability to have off screen gameplay and being able to watch netflix on it is sweeettaah! TVii is cool too, it's like a smart tv guide that tells you when your favorite shows are on, when they will come on, shows you what's playing on your favorite channels and it will eventually have netflix and tivo integration. the gamepad also doubles as a tv remote so all you have to do is click on what you want to watch and it will change it to the appropriate channel.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Only get it if you like the GameCube and good video output is a must for you. ...there is the chance GameCube will end up on wiiu VC, though. A wiiu is a safer purchase, IMO.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Can't go wrong withthe VC for the Wii either.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

If you like the games on Wii, then get one.  I am sure you could get one for less than $100 if you tried.  There are quite a lot of games on Wii worth playing

Punch Out

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Goldeneye

Metroid Prime Trilogy (rare)

Metroid other M

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Zack and Wiki

Warioware

Paper Mario

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Muramasa the Demon Blade

Xenoblade

Sonic Colors

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
Yes if you have no intention to get the Wii U anytime soon. BUT GET AN OLDER MODEL. Newer models won't let you play GameCube stuff on 'em. Good games to look into include but are not limited to: No More Heroes, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic Colors, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Rayman Origins (if you didn't get it for anything else yet), that's just the tip of the iceberg, too...
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts
Get the conduit 2. It's better. Also, if your looking for games to play with your wife get Boom Blocks Bash Party.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Yes, a Wii is worth it right now. It's a great price at $130 and most of the great games are only $20 now.
etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

I say you should definitely get a Wii!  I had a Wii U for 2 months and just couldn't justify keeping it because I wasn't all that impressed.  Now, perhaps it will gain momentum in the coming years, but it just didn't do it for me right off the bat.  I then decided to go back to my Wii and started buying some excellent Gamecube games like Rogue Squadron II and F-Zero GX and notable Wii titles like Paper Mario Wii and Mario Bros Wii.  You can get these games on the cheap on eBay!  My library has grown from 1 Gamecube title and 3 Wii titles, to 6 Gamecube and 7 Wii in less than 2 weeks.  Ultimately, there are a lot of crap games out for the Wii, but the good VC games and the inclusion of Gamecube titles and good number of Wii exclusives make getting a Wii a good buy even now.  By, the way, I think once a price drop hits for the Wii U and all the kinks are worked out, I'll pick it up again, but for now, the Wii will do it for me.

ForzaAbruzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 ForzaAbruzzo
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

If you want a fun family console just to occassionally goof around with at a very low price then I say go for it.  You can probably find used Wii's on ebay or Kijiji for well under 100$.  Also its library of top games are currently dirt cheap as well.   As people pointed out though be sure to get an older version of the console so you can at least have backwards compatability with GC games, which are awesome in their own right as well.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, it's not worth $130. You can find it cheaper. But yes, it's worth buying. It has a huge cheap library of games.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

Dude just buy the Wii U.

Dont you think that there will probably be some Wii U games that you want this gen? Then why buy the old consoles when you can buy the new one that plays the old games? Play all the old stuff, get caught up, and by then there should be some new stuff that you want. This upcoming gen is going to last a LONG time.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you have never had one Then you can get a Wii for really cheap. The games are plentiful. A new Wii Console cost $100.00 if your in Canada. The Wii Mini. But your better off going to Gamestop and getting a first generation Wii with Gamecube controlller/memory card ports. They may still have some Family edition Wii brand new. With SuperMario Brothers Wii.

Or you can try Ebay just try to get a First generation Wii since it is the best for B/C. If you want to try the Wii then now is the time. No new games are being made but there are lots of games cheap now. There are about 30-50 games for the Wii that are worth it. avoid shovelware

Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
Sure it's not that expensive now and you can get games for less.