Is It True that Wiis Overheat Easily?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for detroitpistons0
detroitpistons0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 detroitpistons0
Member since 2006 • 12910 Posts
Is it the exact opposite of my PS2 so that I can't leave it on all night when I'm in the middle of something and I really want to sleep? I heard from friends that Wiis can overheat quickly. I don't want to experiment, though.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Mine hasn't yet.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
No it can't. Your friends are stupid.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
Only defective Wiis overheat easily. If yours is fault-free, which the vast majority of them are, you don't have to worry.
ponedore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ponedore
Member since 2002 • 56 Posts

You could always make sure that the air-vent isn't blocked you know... so it gets enough air-..

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 Garygok
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
No it can't. Your friends are stupid.Duckman5
Lol. Thats just quality. And to give the OP an idea...Ive had my Wii on 24/7 for the past 3 weeks with no problems. It has even been really hot in the house where it stays.
Ponmop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ponmop
Member since 2007 • 489 Posts
Mine runs surprisingly cool.
wii4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wii4me
Member since 2007 • 337 Posts
im sure it can overheat, but my friend says he never turns his wc24 off and he says it never gets hot
FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
No, only a faulty/defective Wii will overheat. I've left my Wii on for days on end (with VC24 enabled) with absolutely no problems. And I've left it plugged in and in standby mode for days on end as well. So don't worry about it happening to you.
DemigodDragid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 DemigodDragid
Member since 2004 • 413 Posts
I never turn the WiiConnect24 except for a few times when my net went out but other then that its always on and I have no problems so no need to worry.
custumrobo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 custumrobo2
Member since 2005 • 113 Posts

Only defective Wiis overheat easily. If yours is fault-free, which the vast majority of them are, you don't have to worry.JordanElek

Really? cause mines overheated a few times and i never even use Wii connect 24

musicman748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 musicman748
Member since 2007 • 2754 Posts
my wii never over heats even when its on wiiconnect 24
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Duckman5

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]Only defective Wiis overheat easily. If yours is fault-free, which the vast majority of them are, you don't have to worry.custumrobo2

Really? cause mines overheated a few times and i never even use Wii connect 24

Then it was defective. >_>

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
mine gets warm very fast, even during gameplay.. i guess i have a faulty wii, not sure... it would be my third 'faulty' one.
MasterSwordXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 MasterSwordXXX
Member since 2007 • 943 Posts
mine over heats, though i never used wii24, but i just put a fan next to it and its fine.
0n1musha510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 0n1musha510
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
My Wii warms up pretty quickyly when a disc is inserted, does this happen to anyone else? Assuming the Wii is horizontal, the top of my Wii is fine, but the bottom is much warmer. While playing Super Paper Mario my Wii has froze twice. Would you guys call this a defective Wii? Perhaps some of you guys could check both sides of your Wii's to see if this is normal. Thanks!
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
I think there's a small percentage of Wiis that will, as a launch console mine hasn't, and it's been on WC24 for up to 2 weeks at a time.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Just for some clarification....

It's normal for the console to get warm. Any computer device with a fan is going to get warm; that's why it has a fan, to keep it from getting too warm. When it overheats, you can tell. It's very hot to the touch. Like if you touch it with the back of your hand, you won't be able to hold it there for very long.

And Nintendo knows about this problem. If it affects your Wii (either by killing it or causing graphical problems), call Nintendo and they'll replace it for free if it's still under warranty.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

It's normal for the console to get warm. Any computer device with a fan is going to get warm; that's why it has a fan, to keep it from getting too warm. When it overheats, you can tell. It's very hot to the touch. Like if you touch it with the back of your hand, you won't be able to hold it there for very long.

And Nintendo knows about this problem. If it affects your Wii (either by killing it or causing graphical problems), call Nintendo and they'll replace it for free if it's still under warranty.

JordanElek

the thing is im probably too paranoid about mine. During gameplay it does get warm, but not to the point where its too hot to touch. Plus, i dont want to go through the process of getting a replacement Wii, for the 3rd time..

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
No it doesn't. I've heard of a few overheating Wii's but it's a rarity and only happens with faulty Wii's.
natebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 natebayne
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts
My Wii stays on constantly... and to be technical it hasnt been off since i bought it if you include the wiiconnect24 feature. So no your friends are just probably ps3 fanboys who try to dog on the wii.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
i dont leave it on all the time, maybe a night here and there but do as you please, it will be fine.
wiimark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiimark
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts

mine burst into flames then dissappeared. 2 minutes later it reappeared unscathed in the same spot. there is a flux capacer inside that runs hot and just goes wonky sometimes. there is no ring of death but it can timewarp several minutes into the future. so you just got to wait for it.

in all seriousness an electric can opener runs hotter then a wii

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts

mine burst into flames then dissappeared. 2 minutes later it reappeared unscathed in the same spot. there is a flux capacer inside that runs hot and just goes wonky sometimes. there is no ring of death but it can timewarp several minutes into the future. so you just got to wait for it.

wiimark

my wii visits the 5th dimension sometimes and then it comes back totally brand new, but it is ok, b/c my flux capaciter is in top notch condition. :lol:

Avatar image for InfinitySamurai
InfinitySamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 InfinitySamurai
Member since 2003 • 1441 Posts

wiimark

Red alert! Trekkie detected!

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Duckman5

wiimark

HMM, is this Flux Capacitor an illegal mod because I think anything that breaks the time space continuem is breaking some laws somewhere.

FleeciousFasil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FleeciousFasil
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Well, my Wii has NEVER heated up!but thats only because i have an AC rite in the exact same room!so i suggest a fan or sumthin 4 urs!
yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts
My Wii has almost been on for 2 months straight without a single lockup or overheating i may be lucky though i hear more and more wii's having problems all the time, i hope its not a sign of things to come
freakonature24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freakonature24
Member since 2007 • 495 Posts
I keep my Wii on for hours but it has never experienced overheating.
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
Only faulty Wii's overheat
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11995 Posts
I find that if wiiconnect24 is on it gets hot.
DarkHandlez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkHandlez
Member since 2007 • 356 Posts
ive played 3 hours straight and had practically no heat. the air that blows out of the vent isn't even warm either.
yaceka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 yaceka
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts

This is an article I found a while ago when someone else asked the same question. It's a very good read imo.

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=3846938&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Ever since I've read that, I've been putting my Wii on stand by with WiiConnect24.

nintendo-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendo-boy
Member since 2006 • 195 Posts

Never had any problems with mine.

P.S. Anyone who doesn't like old ladies is cool, and therefore gets a free virtual pat on the back.:D

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts
[QUOTE="wiimark"]

InfinitySamurai

Red alert! Trekkie detected!

-Facepalm- Its a Back to the Future reference.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Haziqonfire

the thing is im probably too paranoid about mine. During gameplay it does get warm, but not to the point where its too hot to touch. Plus, i dont want to go through the process of getting a replacement Wii, for the 3rd time..

Yeah, thats the problem alot of times, people get paranoid or just dont understand that warm to the touch is not really 'hot', like the other guy said. If you can touch it and its not hot enough that you need to move your hand, then I believe it is fine.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
If you leave WiiConnect24 on, make sure you turn your wii on everyday so the fans will kick in since the wifi chip gets very hot.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#38 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I've heard of it happening, but mine hasnt yet. And I personally know no one that this has happened to. It's possible, but it's a rare occurence.