im scared of getting a ds lite...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
the reason why im scared is because my cousin's ds lite top screen broke off... 3 times. and ive heard several ppl complaining about broken hinges. does this stuff happen often, or r those ppl just strucken with bad luck? btw, is it possible to trade in my original ds for a ds lite or would i have to sell it first (ebgames is the only place in my area where they do trade ins).
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Just going on what you said your cousin doesn't know how to take care of his DS, at all.

The DSLite is just fine, people use them and travel with them all the time.

The bottom line is that if you take care of your stuff it doesn't break. So the real question is are you responsible enough for a handheld game depending on where you're going to bring it.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
I have a black DSL and my girl has a white DSL, and neither havethis issue. We have had them for a litle less than a year now. I play mine every day.
Zel-duh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Zel-duh
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
As long as you take care of it , it shouldnt break
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
If you get a ds lite and it gets a broken hinge, as long as you bought it within the year, you will be able to trade it back in because of the warranty.
utakpulvoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 utakpulvoron
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts

3 times?! Yeah, he probably doesnt know how to care for it.

diangelogrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 diangelogrey
Member since 2004 • 932 Posts
The broken hinge is a manufacturing fault therefore it is covered by your 1 yr warranty so that isnt something to stress over. I think you should definatly get a Lite as its way better the the old phat. The best thing to do is the day you get your Lite is to get a decent hard case for it for when you take it places. I use a Hori brand DS Lite Hard case and it is wicked. Holds a few games and my headphones and a screen cleaner and Im set. I also use my DS every single day.
vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts

the reason why im scared is because my cousin's ds lite top screen broke off... 3 times. and ive heard several ppl complaining about broken hinges. does this stuff happen often, or r those ppl just strucken with bad luck? btw, is it possible to trade in my original ds for a ds lite or would i have to sell it first (ebgames is the only place in my area where they do trade ins).nintendoman562

I haven't heard of it happening often. I have heard of it. Your cousin must have bad luck.;)

Vegetaxxssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Vegetaxxssj4
Member since 2002 • 1545 Posts
The DS is actually a hardy little machine if not really mistreated. I have had no problems with mine though some games have really pissed me off and I thought I was going to crush it but other than that mine has been perfectly fine!
Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
The life a DS lite depends on it's owner. I've have mind for a year and it's still in near mint condition
-UB3R_PWN3R-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -UB3R_PWN3R-
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
How can it break three times? if it's broken it's broken.
nerdofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nerdofthering
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts
The amount of people who complain about their ds lite is only but a little portion of all ds lite users who enjoy it. I dropped mines three times and this thing still works. I say, get one!
Yoshi_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yoshi_Hunter
Member since 2005 • 1614 Posts

Are u also afraid of PSP's and other objects made of plastic? If so contact the Maury Show.
And ure cousin must like to use his DS to play tennis with or something if his hinge keeps breaking on him like that. Take kare of it and it will be fine.

in2DarKneSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 in2DarKneSs
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

I think your cousin has problems taking care of the hardware personally, most of the equipment nintendo makes is for a younger audience so they build it pretty sturdy to anticipate younger ppl. It is definitely worth owning tho, it is innovative and fun, and the game library gets more kick ass every day. By the way djammal86 i love the millennia pic in ur sig, not many ppl i have run into like grandia 2.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
The DS Lite is a great handheld, much better than the original DS or the PSP. It does tend to break at the right shoulder hinge, thugh. My first two white DS lites broke at the exact same place, and my friend has an ice blue DS lite from Japan, and he said he had to get his replaced because it also broke in the exact same place. My wife's pink DS lite hasn't broken yet, and it has been a year since we bought it. Nintendo will replace it, though.
XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts
The Ds Lite is actually a very durable and dependable portable, I absolutely love my ds lite and I havent herd about the hinge problem in about a year so... If you take care of it, itll take care of you lol btw Missing out on Zelda PH on the DS would hinder you as a gamer.... what an amazing game... xprimex gives a 9.0/10 :)
ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts
I bought a DS lite not knowing there was a difference except for weight, light and class and so far I've not been disappointed. The DS lite looks great and seems better then the original DS. The original feels like a big plastic block when I compair it to my DS Lite. It's a strong block but if you take care of the DS Lite it will never get harmed. I can only recomment the original to parents who want to give a DS to their 3 year old kid.
yobbo71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yobbo71
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The problem with the hinge has nothing to do with how you care for your DS lite. Its a manufacturing fault. You could carry the thing around in cotton wool and go to open it one day and the right hand hinge will snap off. Breaking away the power and charge lights.

I know. I had one that did this. It was a fault in early DS lites. I believe its fixed now. Why do you think the DS clicks into place at about 140 degrees. Its the hinge in the right hand side that locks into place. The problem is in the early ones the hinge would stuff up and lock into place when it was shut. When you went to open it, you would end up twisting the right hand corner and snap it off.

To all the people who think this problem only occurs because you dont look after your DS, get a clue.

But to answer the OP. Nah its safe to buy a DS lite now. It looks like they have fixed the problem.

pokedasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pokedasher
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts
its not that they have bad luck or anything, its just they dont know how to take care of it properly. im sure you would be a great owner. just be careful because its more fragile yet better than ds phat (which i own) 
drakochi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 drakochi
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts

Our white DS,that I bought a year ago,survived a lot. I can not count the amount of times that my younger sister and brother have dropped it. The damage is:one of the plastic hinges is broken, couple of pxels missing, a little scratch on the top screen and a L button that doesn't work sometimes.

And the DS it self works perfectly fine and never let us down. Now if you take care of your system better than my sibilings then you probably won't have any problems at all.

I bought 2 other DS this Sunday and I don not regret my decision.

ugatiff13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ugatiff13
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
It breaks if you drop it. I dropped mine (pretty hard I might add) and I got a cracked hinge in return. Frankly I consider myself rather lucky because it was a bad drop and the unit is still very functional (the crack is only a cosmetic damage).
DahlVaughnni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DahlVaughnni
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts

I've had my ds lite for quite some time. Not a single sign of wear and the hinges work perfectly.

In fact, I was in my kitchen today, and I went to put it into my pocket, and, for whatever reason, it didn't go into my pocket, I ended up dropping it 4 feet down onto the hard concrete floor protected by only the kitchen floor tiles. Not only did it not break, but there isn't any sort of mark or scratch to be found on it whatsoever.

In my experience, the ds lite is extremely durable. So either your cousin got ridiculously unlucky and got 3 defective DS lite's, or he is just extremely irresponsible.

In short, the DS lite is very durable. If you've ever had a portable gaming system before, they were ALL less durable than the ds lite.

FunkyOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FunkyOrange
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

How can it break three times? if it's broken it's broken.-UB3R_PWN3R-

haha good point.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 animateria
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts

Get the Fat one then... I have one and it can take ridiculous amounts of punishment!

I do want a new DS lite but... I got other places to use the money I suppose. Maybe a cover case or something will help the DS from coming to harm...

War-Tex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 War-Tex
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
careless.totally careless.3 times is way too much.i did get mine broken but it was my friends bro that broke it.not me.i keep it safe in a case,and only i get to use it.
MangoLlamas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#28 MangoLlamas
Member since 2007 • 2325 Posts
3 strikes your out... lol anyways, thats a bad luck streak isn't it...
MegaSonicZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 MegaSonicZX
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts
As long as you take care of your DS Lite, the screen won't break.
Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
dude if ur responsible with it then it will pay u back with many many months of play
AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts
TC, your fear is well founded. If you leave it be without charging it, or feeding it new games every once in awhile, it will magically disappear. It will then start to breed like a freaking Ditto, and before you know it you'll be surrounded by feral DS-lite's. :| (It's a minor flaw in the design, and I'm sure Nintendo is working on it right now..)
thestickman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thestickman
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
I've had two DS Lites, imported the first one from Japan when the console was first released there so I could have it before anybody I knew in the US, then when I won a US release one in a contest I gave the first one to my sister. They are both completely fine, with no danger of the top screens breaking or anything like that. I highly recommend the system, as the screens are much brighter than the original DS as well yet it uses less battery power than the original, not to mention better button placement, the smaller size and lighter weight of course, and the larger, better-placed stylus. And the GBA slot cover is an added bonus :D
SturmFuhrer14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SturmFuhrer14
Member since 2007 • 111 Posts
Has this manufacturing fault been fixed? I just bought mine yesterday, now im a little concerned.
Deccamann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Deccamann
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts

I bought it the first day it cameout with a warranty from Best Buy. Mine developed the cracks and before the month was over with, It was in nearly two pieces. The cracks started appearing but the split happened when my son accidentally dropped it on my bed *(a wooden floorboard). Of course Best Buy did NOT honor the warranty that theytricked me into buying saying "look here we do not cover blah blah.... "The cashier told me anything happens to it, you drop it in the toilet or anything, we replace it for you no questions asked and stapled it shut to the receipt.

So I contact Nintendo and they charged me $50 and I sent mine in. The gave me a replacement Ds Lite. It was defintely used. It was loose and the buttons were older and just seemed worn out and loose. the volume switch at the bottom went from left to right just by barely blowing at it. I was a little disappointed.

It's in a case now and again mysteriously developed cracks on both ends of the hinges. No accidents or mishaps but I am extremely cautious with it. Good luck with yours and be extremely cautious!