IGN's RE:UC Hands on

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803846p1.html

They are Not Impressed.

"When moving through areas boxes will break away and red oil drums (a favorite in all shooters, mind you) will explode in a fiery blaze of glory, but when it comes to actually shooting the dogs, zombies, spiders, and other undead cronies it just isn't immersive. Bullets meet the undead with little more than a puff of red blood dust, and there's no impact animations on the zombies themselves. Occasionally you'll blow an arm off or make a deadly headshot, but generally it's a matter of bullets whittling away invisible hit points until a death animation is triggered. You'll roll into a new area, see a group of guys standing still or idling, and start firing away. Once you've hit them enough, they fall down."

"In fact, hitting head shots is still pretty touchy, as you normally have to keep the cursor focused on the zombie's head - moving it ever so slightly - to see where the actual "head shot" area is located. Simply aiming for the head isn't enough; there's a sweet-spot within the zombie's head; odd. We assumed Umbrella Chronicles would be like a mix between a sick and twisted Disney World ride and the precision of RE4 for Wii, but it isn't. There's less animation, less overall interaction, and less intensit"

"the core game is solid, but there are gameplay elements that really, really take us out of the experience right now. It's a bit too slow, and lacks the mood of ****c Resident Evil games."

they also commented on the Wii Zapper:

"The unit we played with today was no doubt still a proto-type in a few ways, as it lacked any emblems and had a few oddities to it.

The basic mold itself is comfortable and pretty stylish, but the function is still very lacking even for a "shell." Basically you're getting a new trigger to use (in our version today it was actually a bit loose in the shell and has a soft feel when pulled, rather than a rewarding click), and a slot for your Wii-mote and nunchuk to slide into. On closer inspection, the trigger on the shell itself is actually just a sliding tab that physically pushes the actual Wii-mote B trigger, and isn't exactly its own trigger. When in use, all buttons and on each of the controllers are accessible, though the B trigger is swapped out for the new shell trigger. Other than that, it's about giving a more tactile and realistic feel to shooters, and it's decent for that solitary use - especially after hearing that Nintendo is packing it with its own first-party Zapper game for $20 - but we wouldn't go out and buy three more after the first purchase."

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Kenshi_is_god
Member since 2004 • 5414 Posts
Did they expect so much dept in a light gun game? What idiots, they expect a whole vivid RPG experiance in a light gun game. Did House of the Dead have that? Time Crisis? None of them had so much depth the amount of awesomeness this guy wants. Its a light gun game designed into the RE world and its supposed to do one thing. Be fun. And it looks fun as hell. Co-op with a friend, a 10 hour campaign and nice graphics with story to fill in gaps. Im in.
WoMbAmOmBa99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 WoMbAmOmBa99
Member since 2003 • 1823 Posts
He said headshots don't work correctly and all that happens when you shoot is red squirts. House of the Dead had an actual impact from the shots and most enemies lurched backwards when hit. And if you're gonna have a headshot function, at least make it work when you shoot the head.
2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts
I hope they have an option to make the z button on the nunchuck the shoot button. I dont like how the b button is to shoot, and it is located in the foregrip, and not the rear grip. If you look at pictures of the wii zapper with everything in it, the z button is accesible. Making the shoot button the z button will feel a lot more like a real gun
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts
I'm not shocked by this news. This game fell far off my top 10 after hearing it was on rails.

And I can't wait for the zapper to come out. MP3 with a zapper would be awesome.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I noticed thoses lame zombies animations. Why why whyyyyy can't the animations be like in Re4? Like we can actually see that they're hurted ya know. This is stupid.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
A bit disappointing to hear. You would think it would those effects would be a given since it's just an onrail shooter you would think those would be priorities for them to work on? Laziness?
overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts

I noticed thoses lame zombies animations. Why why whyyyyy can't the animations be like in Re4? Like we can actually see that they're hurted ya know. This is stupid.

m_machine024

RE4 monsters are not Zombies. This may be why. Zombies are dumb and don't react to pain because they are dead. RE4 monsters are body snatched not dead. See the difference?

2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts
[QUOTE="m_machine024"]

overfeind

but a bullet should still be strong enough to knock a zombie back a little bit. Or what if they were using a weak gun like the pistol or smg in the demo

RE4 monsters are not Zombies. This may be why. Zombies are dumb and don't react to pain because they are dead. RE4 monsters are body snatched not dead. See the difference?

but a shot from a gun should knock a zombie back a little bit. But i wonder if maybe they used weak guns in the demo that like the smg or pistol.

StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts

I have to say that I'm not surprised. I am looking forward to this game very very much, in fact I am more then okay with it only scoring A or AA, however I think that IGN got it wrong. They seem to have forgotten what the whole arcade rail shooter is about.

Also, Gamespot did a hands on and they liked it a lot.

I believe they said something to the likes of "We enjoyed our time with RE:UC a great deal"

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Also note a Japanese version or Demo would extremely limited as well as being censored, no decapitations for instance. There was no coop in the E3 demo so it's guess what incredibly incomplete.

The footage from the E3 Nintendo or other press materials show far more damage and reactions on the zombies. Seriously have these preview guys forgotten what the hell a demo is much less a limited often made in a matter of weeks by two or three people E3 demo is?

I expect reviews and previews to change a month prior to release.