If Nintendo could, would they...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
Some say Nintendo has forgotten us hardcore while many still say they haven't. I'm not gonna argue and point finger like normally due to wary moderators who could kill me at any second. In a thread I was recently involved in someone drew an analogy saying that Nintendo either has/will eventually drop the hardcore because they are making more money off of the casual.

Who here thinks that if Nintendo could drop a sector of its gaming consumers they would drop those who have been there since the beginning, supported them and made Metroid, Zelda and Mario such a success or those who just started accepting new gaming, barely even know who Nintendo is and only really buy 1 game per year?

I made this statement before and I'll say it again, if Nintendo dropped the hardcore they'd also drop Mario, Zelda, Luigi, Peach, Samus, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Bowser, etc., and if they dropped them then I would quit gaming forever. It just wouldn't be the same without them. They add something to gaming that nobody else can produce except Nintendo. No one has even come close. Look at Banjo Kazooie on the 360... It doesn't feel the same as it used to be.

get-some-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 get-some-pie
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
Some say Nintendo has forgotten us hardcore while many still say they haven't. I'm not gonna argue and point finger like normally due to wary moderators who could kill me at any second. In a thread I was recently involved in someone drew an analogy saying that Nintendo either has/will eventually drop the hardcore because they are making more money off of the casual.

Who here thinks that if Nintendo could drop a sector of its gaming consumers they would drop those who have been there since the beginning, supported them and made Metroid, Zelda and Mario such a success or those who just started accepting new gaming, barely even know who Nintendo is and only really buy 1 game per year?

I made this statement before and I'll say it again, if Nintendo dropped the hardcore they'd also drop Mario, Zelda, Luigi, Peach, Samus, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Bowser, etc., and if they dropped them then I would quit gaming forever. It just wouldn't be the same without them. They add something to gaming that nobody else can produce except Nintendo. No one has even come close. Look at Banjo Kazooie on the 360... It doesn't feel the same as it used to be.

livinitup01

Either way they would lose a bunch of money, All of the casuals I know who have a Wii only have about 5 games while most of the hardcore gamers have about 20. I think they are making more money on hardcore then the casual.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

They're only making more money off the casuals right now because they're making more casual games (though they have made a handful of hardcore ones too) and because casual gamers buy the Wii and a few games and don't buy much more. In a few years when Nintendo's ready to release another batch of hardcore titles, then they'll see where their real money comes from.

Speaking of hardcore, 2009 is gonna be a great year (assuming those 3rd party games I'm talking about don't flop).

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

Well, it's not like Nintendo would ever drop an audience, but assuming they had to for some crazy reason I think they would stick with the 'hardcore' (which in this thread seems to refer to people who have played games before).

Nintendo is certainly raking in the dough off of new players right now, but that market is pretty much untested as far as return customers. Will a casual player see the need to buy a new system and all new games in a few years? I'm not sure, and I don't think Nintendo can be either, so I think they'd stick with the tried and true.

I don't understand why you say they would have to drop all those characters if they dropped hardcore players. Haven't they made about a zillion new IP's over the years and reused the same characters in them? What's to stop them from creating a horde of casual games featuring Mario, Peach, Zelda, etc?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I don't think they would drop anything just casualize it. Kind of what they did for Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I don't think they would drop anything just casualize it. Kind of what they did for Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy.

Minishdriveby

How did they casualize SMG? If you mean by making it easy, SMS and SM64 were just as easy. SMB,SMB2(US),SMB3,SMW were all easy games for most of the game. Just like SMG.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

IMO they should take a look at their sales of good games and their first party games with positive reception, go on Wikipedia or something like that and you would find their best selling games on GC, N64, SNES, NES, and their handhelds, maybe it's easy to assume that not all casual gamers were doing the buying there, so I think they should drop the casual gamers.

I don't really know to be honest, lol.

Nintendo vs Sega vs Atari please?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

dotWithShoes

How did they casualize SMG? If you mean by making it easy, SMS and SM64 were just as easy. SMB,SMB2(US),SMB3,SMW were all easy games for most of the game. Just like SMG.

Yeah I find all Mario games to be more casual then hardcore. It's just not really a hard core game, everyone starts out with mario when they are young. I did find Galaxy to be way easier then past games though, probably because of the unlimited mushrooms they pelt at you.

I also found MP3:c more casual then past games because it led you everywhere in one direction almost, there was really no sense of exploration due to the linearness of the path, and the hand holding throughout the game, they gave you the location of everysingle place you needed to go to, and (you didn't have to) but you could get your maps marked to show you every location of the expansions and upgrades, plus it was easier then the last two prime games.

I just think they're casualizing a lot of games these days, every system is really.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Nintendo won't drop anything.
livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
Wow, at the end of all this the votes are still 50:50. That also shows the fact that Nintendo won't drop anyone because they're becoming very successful off of everyone. I have a feeling that my making these games a little more casual this gen and get more people involved buy the games being slightly easier they can make more people get better at these games and they can gradually make the games harder as the go on. As I go used to Mario platforming I eventually got better at it when the games got harder.
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
Y'know, i'm not sure. They make potloads of money both ways.
pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts

livinitup01

\

Yes if it wasn't for Nintendo I would have never been into gaming. If Nintendo drops the hardcore I'm basically going to play my PS3 all day I guess....

vwgti3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vwgti3
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts
Nintendo hasdisappointedme for sure, these last of couple of years, I mean with everything. Online, FC, no mic, hard to see whos on ETC...I say theirs a good Hand full of good games on they wii, thats pretty bad. The last game I had fun on was MP3 and that was when It first came out. But its ok im looking at the 360 for MORE FUN with MY Friends online
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
They are just going to lose alot of money if they droped one of the Audiences it wouldn't be that smart to do that.