If DS games look ugly on 3DS...does that mean VC games will as well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

DS games on 3DS are pretty ugly IMO. The resolution looks all blah. Will that mean that once the Virtual Console service for Game Boy and Game Boy Color come out, will it too look pretty ugly or is Nintendo going to do something special for those games? OR will the screen size be extremely small?

Anybody know anything about this? I was playing PArtners in Time last night and I started thinking about this.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I have no idea what to expect. I hope they turn out well, though. I really want to get Super Mario Land, since I've never owned a copy of that for myself. Hopefully, they'll bump up the resolution when they release them.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Actually, DS games look just fine on the 3DS, my brother played some DS games and I watched. He would hold L and R till the game symbol spun and then press on it, that way you would get see the game on the screen look the way it should look. I dont see anyting wrong with black bars on the screen.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 happy_dude64

Me too man. I've played EVERY mario game ever except for the TWO Mario Land games. I also want to get that GB Kid Icarus game seeing I never owned that as well.

NeoJ4K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 NeoJ4K3
Member since 2005 • 282 Posts

If you want the original native resolution, when you click the ds software and it starts loading, hold both the start and select buttons and you will get native res. It has more black bars but it makes in "normal" size and resolution looks the same as a ds.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 happy_dude64

yeah i know about that. still looks meh. I had a DSi, downgrading to me isnt worth it. It looks DS phat quality. screw that.

AstralDrmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AstralDrmz
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts

He would hold L and R till the game symbol spun and then press on it, that way you would get see the game on the screen look the way it should look.Gamingclone

Wot? You mean the Start + Select thing?

And DS games don't really look bad at all. If anything, sprite based games would look the worst and Pokemon still looks decent. Someone go try out a Castlevania title and tell me how it looks. Please. 3:

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

They look fine on the 3DS to me. In fact they're easier to see than my DS Lite. My guess is they'll look stretched (if you so choose) or be in a small box at their native resolution. Seems like the most likely path.

loveless9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 loveless9
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

DS games don't look terrible on the 3DS. I would say they look toned down similar to the way the DS and DSlite portrayed GBA games. It's not terrible to look at and actually adds a certain charm to some games.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I've actually gotten used to the way DS games look on a 3DS, and I think people are crazy for wanting to play it in native resolution. That's way too tiny. Hopefully the VC games will be upscaled better, as obviously it's all software based, as opposed to DS games which I think is probably a combination of software and hardware. I still don't get why it looks so bad on a slightly higher resolution screen. I could play GBA games through my gameboy player on my HDTV and it actually looks fairly good. DS games must have a horrible upscaler.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
They'll look the same, with the same tricks - upscaled to the screen or native with black bars. And the stretching will look just as ugly, as you can't work magic when scaling a set resolution up to something with fixed pixels (unless the resolution is exactly doubled in each direction). They won't increase the resolution of the original games because that would require too much work. I mean, $30 for Mario All Stars resulted in a SNES ROM dump on a disc. There's no way individually priced games will be edited in any way except to pin electronic instruction manuals to them, a la Wii VC.
Leaky_Taps_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Leaky_Taps_Man
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

Me too man. I've played EVERY mario game ever except for the TWO Mario Land games. I also want to get that GB Kid Icarus game seeing I never owned that as well.

happy_dude64

FYI Mario Land 2 is superb, played that game soooo much as a kid. Can't wait to download it!

Leaky_Taps_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Leaky_Taps_Man
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

They'll look the same, with the same tricks - upscaled to the screen or native with black bars. And the stretching will look just as ugly, as you can't work magic when scaling a set resolution up to something with fixed pixels (unless the resolution is exactly doubled in each direction).DJ_Lae

Hopefully they'll give us the option to play them on the lower screen, at least then there are no annoying black bars.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 happy_dude64

Well okay, technically I've played both land games....for about 5 minutes each. But I never got really into them 'cuss I didnt have the time to do so when I had the chance to play them. My friend had both and well we dont speak much anymore seeing that were both in different colleges. But NOW I'll be able to own them and beat them on the 3DS.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]They'll look the same, with the same tricks - upscaled to the screen or native with black bars. And the stretching will look just as ugly, as you can't work magic when scaling a set resolution up to something with fixed pixels (unless the resolution is exactly doubled in each direction).Leaky_Taps_Man

Hopefully they'll give us the option to play them on the lower screen, at least then there are no annoying black bars.

You really think so? Take a look at the Game Boy screen, and then look at the lower 3DS screen. Heck, put a Game Boy game into a Game Boy Advance. Your options there are to either have ugly black bars on each side or to stretch it so it fits the screen (also ugly).
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

They should be made to fit the screen, as Nintendo is adding 3D to some

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i just played a DS game on my 3DS... it looks pretty damn good.. not horrible exagerations people say...

i never had a ds but DS games on 3DS look almost as good as 3ds games...so it shouldnt be a problem...

btw... holding select and choosing the ds game with the sylus makes it display in a smaller box but looks exactly the same lol... dont even use that feature..it sux.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

i finally finished the world ends with you on my 3DS and using the L+R trick (i think its actually different black bars than the start+select), it looked good enough that i couldnt really even tell the difference.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i finally finished the world ends with you on my 3DS and using the L+R trick (i think its actually different black bars than the start+select), it looked good enough that i couldnt really even tell the difference.

bionicle_lover

whats the L+R trick?

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

DS games look fine on the 3DS IMO.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

DS games look fine on the 3DS IMO.

DustinTheWind
I really dont know what problems people are having. I have been playing pokemon white (14 hours in) and a few hours of Zelda Spirit Tracks and I notice 0 problems.
emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

Yeah, it looks different, but it doesn't look that bad. you can always change resolution. Anyways, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is gonna tweak the VC games to look big and nice on the screen.

ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ii20JcM05ii
Member since 2010 • 394 Posts

I disagree with all the claims of original DS titles looking bad on 3DS. Although the next system should benefit the older games, playing DS games on 3DS, I see no difference. I tried a couple of DS games and they look the same to me. And if anything I feel better because they are running on a more powerful system.

The only complaint I have is that most 3DS home screen functions are disabled when playing an original DS game. But thats basically a general issue of backwards compdiblity on any system.

DS games on 3DS look absolutly fine to me.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

[QUOTE="bionicle_lover"]

KBFloYd

whats the L+R trick?

nevermind. it was just stuff playing with my mind :P

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordAndrew

The only complaint I have is that most 3DS home screen functions are disabled when playing an original DS game. But thats basically a general issue of backwards compdiblity on any system.

ii20JcM05ii
Nah, that's just ridiculous. I mean, when you press that button it temporarily suspends the game to ask for confirmation. Perhaps puts it into sleep mode? I'm not sure about the implementation, but the game is nevertheless suspended for the duration. Surely it wouldn't have been a problem to suspend the game and actually bring up the home menu? I thought "Awesome, I'll be able to change the brightness from the home menu while playing a DS game," but apparently we can't. Why not? It doesn't really make sense to me.
ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ii20JcM05ii

[QUOTE="ii20JcM05ii"]

LordAndrew

Nah, that's just ridiculous. I mean, when you press that button it temporarily suspends the game to ask for confirmation. Perhaps puts it into sleep mode? I'm not sure about the implementation, but the game is nevertheless suspended for the duration. Surely it wouldn't have been a problem to suspend the game and actually bring up the home menu? I thought "Awesome, I'll be able to change the brightness from the home menu while playing a DS game," but apparently we can't. Why not? It doesn't really make sense to me.

I understand what your saying, and it's a just complaint, but then again.... probly something with the coding or whateverprevents it. Just like with Wii, when you play a GameCube game in your Wii, your basically NOT playing a Wii, it turns a GameCube on essentially. DS games were obviosuly prob not CODED with stuff thats in a 3DS game. I'm sure in the next system you'll be able to do the things you mentioned, because they'll be prepared for it,. But lets not talk about a next system... I don't wanna HEAR anything about another system after all the moeny I just spent on 3DS, lol! Plus, i'm loving it... so.

But still I understand your passion though and wish it were so. But it's something I can live with, as it mostly makes sense.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LordAndrew
Of course it's not coded with it. DS don't have no home button. But that button still does something that DS games just don't do. They've already done something to change how DS games function on the 3DS. All they had to do was go just a bit further.
ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ii20JcM05ii

I can't completely agree or completely disagree. I'm sure they did what they could, but at the same time you gotta keep them on their toes, so they know that we're on their a$$!! lolol ;D

kmsgameboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kmsgameboy
Member since 2005 • 291 Posts

DS Games were not made to be played on a 3DS screen.The top screen on the Nintendo DS is both larger and a higher resolution than a normal DS screen and since the game was not created with that in mind (It was after all made for the DS not the 3DS)it is MADE to fit. Anything we buy from the shop SHOULD be created with the correct screen size and resolution in mind...I hope.