I was very "meh" about skyward sword...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VFXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VFXman
Member since 2004 • 2448 Posts

Til i saw the gameplay showed at tgs. After i saw Link on his bird next to the giant flying whale my jaw dropped it looked amazing.

It seems theyve shown way more gameplay an info the last few days then over the whole 5 year span making this game.

everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

Glad your onboard lol. I always have faith in this series. I don't think they have ever steered me wrong. There have been a few things that were disappointing in the past but in general each game has been excellent. Its just the waiting for gameplay videos and stills that aggrevates me lol

VFXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VFXman
Member since 2004 • 2448 Posts

Other then the ds Zeldas I love em all too.

I just didnt want to hype myself up for this game because the hype i built for myself with Twilight princess didnt live up to it. Tho it was a great game.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Til i saw the gameplay showed at tgs. After i saw Link on his bird next to the giant flying whale my jaw dropped it looked amazing.

It seems theyve shown way more gameplay an info the last few days then over the whole 5 year span making this game.

VFXman
Gameplay > graphics But its famn fact Graphics AND gameplay >>> gameplay alone.. New zelda is a top art game if you ask me. And if gameplay is good , which mechanics will be as all zelda were we talking about a great game. My only concern about this kind of game is how responsive and good Wii-mote controls will be.... If they are not top notch it might be a disaster. We will see
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

VFXman
there's a reason for that. you see, now SS will have about 6 months to a year of hype, and even then controlled hype (they are still holding back a lot). twilight princess got 3 years or so of people hyping it over and over, and the backlash was devastating. so you get less info now and more enjoyment later. doesn't it sound great?
Blaz3_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blaz3_fox
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

After everything that Nintendo has said about Skyward Sword, like right after Twilight Princess, when I think Shiggy said Twilight Princess was going to be the last Zelda as we know it, through to the announcement art, and then to the first trailer, I always thought that Skyward Sword would be awesome. This TGS stuff has been mindblowing. I'm at a stage where if this game doesn't recieve a 10, I think I'll be disappointed with the reviewer. The Zelda franchise has been consistently top quality with every release, so with the hype from Nintendo, I was instantly excited for it, and now, with the gameplay revealed, I am beside myself with anticipation.
GOTY Confirmed.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BrunoBRS

After everything that Nintendo has said about Skyward Sword, like right after Twilight Princess, when I think Shiggy said Twilight Princess was going to be the last Zelda as we know it, through to the announcement art, and then to the first trailer, I always thought that Skyward Sword would be awesome. This TGS stuff has been mindblowing. I'm at a stage where if this game doesn't recieve a 10, I think I'll be disappointed with the reviewer. The Zelda franchise has been consistently top quality with every release, so with the hype from Nintendo, I was instantly excited for it, and now, with the gameplay revealed, I am beside myself with anticipation.
GOTY Confirmed.

Blaz3_fox

^ see? this is the kind of dangerous hype that will possibly (and probably) disappoint gamers.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
[QUOTE="VFXman"]

BrunoBRS
there's a reason for that. you see, now SS will have about 6 months to a year of hype, and even then controlled hype (they are still holding back a lot). twilight princess got 3 years or so of people hyping it over and over, and the backlash was devastating. so you get less info now and more enjoyment later. doesn't it sound great?

Takes ya back to the good ol days of games being advertised on TV and giving you snippets of gameplay and leaving your imagination to do the rest. Internet has become a big problem with spoiling upcoming games with Walkthroughs, Gameplay Trailers showing the best parts of the games etc. That makes playing through the game yourself less enjoyable because you've already seen what it has to offer minus a few things here and there. Less info and showing less game footage makes for a more surprising, enjoyable experience as long as the footage that is shown is able to capture the audience without being the best parts of the game itself.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Skies of Arcadia featured flying through the sky and being attacked by a monsterous whale, but no one cared. :o

zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

Skies of Arcadia featured flying through the sky and being attacked by a monsterous whale, but no one cared. :o

Bubble_Man

Because Zelda is Zelda.Anything average becomes special when incorporated into this legendary game.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Bubble_Man
Bite Your Tongue!!! I cared very much about Skies of Arcadia and I still wish they'd make a sequel. The Delphinus was such an awesome ship as were all the Gigas. i still have yet to defeat the Red Gigas (if it's even possible with the Little Jack). Fina is the ALL TIME BEST HEALER IN ANY RPG EVER MADE!!!

Because Zelda is Zelda.Anything average becomes special when incorporated into this legendary game.

zeldisco2009
Sorry but I like Skies of Arcadia WAAAYYYY more than Zelda. Maybe Skyward Sword will change that as it does look interesting but at this very moment, Skies of Arcadia is better in my opinion.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="Blaz3_fox"]

GOTY Confirmed.

BrunoBRS

^ see? this is the kind of dangerous hype that will possibly (and probably) disappoint gamers.

Well... it's just normal to get hyped over sequels to awesome series?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I too am very pumped for this game.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Bubble_Man

I cared. :cry:

I especially liked the whole Whale sequence and Drachma's story.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#15 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I am looking forward to Skyward Sword. If it's anything like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, it'll be cool.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Kind of a rollercoaster for me. Felt like trash after E3 2010, I was baffled this was the work of 5 years and I still hoped for a darker style like Majoras Mask. GDC 2011 looked alright. E32011 trailer looked good. Controls in the E3 demo turned me off again, way too much unnecessary stuff like ,shake to blow' in DKC Returns. Fall conference gameplay looked really good again. News about yet another ,,Forest temple, Fire temple,...'' arrangement is another bummer though and the overworld looks kinda barren. Especially compared to Skies of Arcadia.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

I still can't get excited over this game, but I'm taking that as a good thing... I haven't been watching every single video that comes out, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I'm also feeling bummed about the Zelda series after the last two installments. But those were DS games and I've never really liked handheld games in general so... maybe SS will refresh my interest in Zelda.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="Blaz3_fox"]

GOTY Confirmed.

locopatho

sure, but get too hyped and treat the game as the second coming and you're bound to be disappointed.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

the whole 5 year span making this game.

VFXman
I don't understand where people are getting this, the Zelda team has developed 2 games since TP's release, and has likely aided in development on many other projects. I'm sure SS has been in some sort of minor conceptual phase since before TP was even released, but it isn't accurate to say it's been under development for 5 years.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="VFXman"]

meetroid8
I don't understand where people are getting this, the Zelda team has developed 2 games since TP's release, and has likely aided in development on many other projects. I'm sure SS has been in some sort of minor conceptual phase since before TP was even released, but it isn't accurate to say it's been under development for 5 years.

they don't work on a single game at a time, it's been said more than once.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
well, i can honestly say that there are some games i dont want to know anything about and other then watching a couple of trailers, i havent seen anything on this game. We wait years for some games, i dont want to spoil anything.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="VFXman"]

BrunoBRS

? And your pint is? I'm sure it has been at least in conceptual phases since 06, but they couldn't have put their full effort into the game until at least after the release of ST.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

well, i can honestly say that there are some games i dont want to know anything about and other then watching a couple of trailers, i havent seen anything on this game. We wait years for some games, i dont want to spoil anything.da_chub

That's actually the exact same reason I avoid watching gameplay movies. I like for everything to be new when I play a game, and seeing portions of the game played for me is not fun to me.

Avatar image for xXMETALxxGEARXx
xXMETALxxGEARXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xXMETALxxGEARXx
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Anyone else think of the Wind Fish when they saw that flying whale? I can't be the only one.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="meetroid8"] I don't understand where people are getting this, the Zelda team has developed 2 games since TP's release, and has likely aided in development on many other projects. I'm sure SS has been in some sort of minor conceptual phase since before TP was even released, but it isn't accurate to say it's been under development for 5 years.

? And your pint is? I'm sure it has been at least in conceptual phases since 06, but they couldn't have put their full effort into the game until at least after the release of ST.

they didn't have a single console game to focus on after TP, so it's very possible that it was on conceptual stage before TP was out, and moved past that after they were done with it. i think i remember an interview with aonuma (for nintendo power maybe? can't remember where) where he mentions that PH and ST had come and gone while SS was in development (as in really working on the game). it's not because they didn't have a visual direction until recently that they couldn't have worked on pretty much everything else.
champofcube15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 champofcube15
Member since 2004 • 1596 Posts
[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

nini200
Bite Your Tongue!!! I cared very much about Skies of Arcadia and I still wish they'd make a sequel. The Delphinus was such an awesome ship as were all the Gigas. i still have yet to defeat the Red Gigas (if it's even possible with the Little Jack). Fina is the ALL TIME BEST HEALER IN ANY RPG EVER MADE!!!

zeldisco2009
Sorry but I like Skies of Arcadia WAAAYYYY more than Zelda. Maybe Skyward Sword will change that as it does look interesting but at this very moment, Skies of Arcadia is better in my opinion.

My words exactly. I would LOVE a sequel to Skies of Arcadia Legends...as I love Skies more than I love Zelda. Oh, and I defeated the Red Gigas. ;)
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] ^ see? this is the kind of dangerous hype that will possibly (and probably) disappoint gamers.

BrunoBRS

sure, but get too hyped and treat the game as the second coming and you're bound to be disappointed.

I dunno man, Nintendo can pretty much meet my god hype when they want to. Examples: Mario 64, Windwaker, Mario Galaxy 1+2, Metroid Prime games, many many more. The whole Twilight Princess (and also Metroid Other M) "backlash" wasn't just because of hype, every Nintendo game is hyped, it's more cos of justifiable criticisms.