i feel finally the wii is reaching its visual potential

This topic is locked from further discussion.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

I think it took a long while ,compared to other systems but is refreshing to notice at large the vast visual improvement regarding this console.
If we look back for years we had only M galaxy and Prime 3 as examples of visual capabilities.And while galaxy is king it wasnt really letting people know if the wii could or not handle more realistic visuals.While prime had a great design, it had just a modified last gen engine(and a lot of last gen features).

I feel that suddenly more devs are unlocking the wii potential, partially(as i said last year), due to inability to merely port from PS2(as its finally losing its last support). This year i could experience the finest realistic wii experience thanks to Silent Hill SM, i suggest anyone unsure to rent and see for themselves.On railed newer games have unbelivable visuals(again, rent them to truly understand,youtube wont give you the true experience).NMH 2 was a huge visual leap on the first one.2d fighting games like guilty gear look a whole gen behind tvc.

Red steel 2 is using a powerful engine that looks really promising on the wii as well and the press has been very positive with the visual prowess of the upcoming Prince of persia game.And i mean extremely so. Monster hunter is hitting us fairly soon as well, and we all know how well respected that game is(graphicwise). A honorific mention goes to the polished but a bit shallow Crystal Bearers(another game i got).I couldnt try Innocent aces myself but others told me its the best looking wii flight simulator.The call of duties are looking better every time(they just suffer from short dev times), regarding the wii.

All of those games(theres more to be seen from Another M so i hold my opinion-is good so far), are coming en masse,together, and all of them look a step foward from the early third party wii games. In a serious way ahead.

To put it in perspective:

RS 1:used unreal 2.5 engine, a cube era engine.RS2:uses Lynx engine, developed for upcoming HD games.

POP 2 thrones used a PSP and PS2 engine. POP is exclusive and uses a way newer engine.

I dont know how its going to be from here but its sure nice to have the system take its propper place.Not the horsepower of the decade or anything by far, but is good to take care of all fronts of the gaming package, and to have developers doing what they can.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I've also noted this as I must acknowledge that some early titles look very well too, as Sonic & the Secret Rings, Nights. At least for me, those titles were great then and still look great. Now you can see th Conduit, HoD:O, RE:DC, and, of course, SMG and MP3C, as you mentioned. Actually, I feel confident you can add a lot of other good looking games as Deadly Creatures, TR:U, even if the game doesn't appeal to you it can't be denied that TR:U is way above TR:A, for example I'm happy with the current performance, but I'm pretty sure not every developer is taking care of and they expect to sell without proper production values I recognize Wii is not on par with some PC titles, but there is a good deal of other values beside the looking
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Well I expect Zelda to blow our minds on the visuals.

Looking back, Twilight Princess, had it been released mid-Gamecube era (as it was supposed to) was fantastic. Who would thought the gamecube could push those graphics. Of course by the time the Wii came out, the 360 had been out for a year it wasn't so amazing.

Nonetheless, the 3d Zelda games have always been pushing graphical limits of a console, I expect nothing less this time around.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think we're there yet.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

i feel the wii is reaching its visual potential

Intro94

Heck yeah.

Thanks to games that creatively push the Wii to it's graphical limits (like RS2) the Wii is finally stacking up to the X360 and PS3 (visually).

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Well I expect Zelda to blow our minds on the visuals.

sonic_spark

Same.

I wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't though.

Before Galaxy, I kind of thought that those were the Wii's graphics. Never going to get better. I didn't have a problem with it, but it would be nice to get some better ones.

I just finished No More Heroes 2 (Which was amazing!) and at some parts, the graphics were great!!! (While others were really bad).

The graphics for the Wii defiintely have improved just as much as they have for the PS3 and 360, but not too many people realize it.

BlackhawkBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 BlackhawkBix
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

Graphics are definitely starting to improve on the Wii. I don't know ifI would as of yet put them on the same level as PS3 or X360, but it's definitely a much appreciated change.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

The Wii reached it's visual potential a long time ago with Mario Galaxy. Sadly it'll never reach Xbox potential which was reached back in 2001. It's also hard to say if the visuals have really improved or have they just reached GC level.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

The Wii reached it's visual potential a long time ago with Mario Galaxy. Sadly it'll never reach Xbox potential which was reached back in 2001. It's also hard to say if the visuals have really improved or have they just reached GC level.

zaku101
What are you talking about? The only thing a Xbox can do over a Wii is shaders and upscaling.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

Devil-Itachi

What are you talking about? The only thing a Xbox can do over a Wii is shaders and upscaling.

The Wii can do shaders via a different method. There was this long discussion on this board about it when the Wii originally came out..

jorler333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 jorler333
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

[QUOTE="Intro94"]

wes008

Heck yeah.

Thanks to games that creatively push the Wii to it's graphical limits (like RS2) the Wii is finally stacking up to the X360 and PS3 (visually).

Not quite, but I have been pretty impressed at some of the Wii's new exclusives.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

The new upcoming games look really promising.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
All i want from my wii is brighter colors and less jaggles. Nintendo just give me 720p for picture quality not graphics and Im happy. I have my George foremen grill that happens to play MGS4 if i want realism which i do like.
its_a_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 its_a_username
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

[QUOTE="Intro94"]

wes008

Heck yeah.

no its not really stackin up..

the graphics have definetly improved but it definetly isnt around ps3 and 360

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

zaku101
true, it shouldnt, but it gets moderately close behind now, opposed as the 2007s idea that it was around a PS2 except for galaxy(a lone exception!). The best realistic cube game was considered RE4, and games like Silent Hill on the wii simply blow it out of the water in many levels. Prime corruption did look better than the primes on cube, which were also among best looking cube games. The onrailed dead space and Darkside C look a leap ahead anything the cube could cough up in comparable models, refilled with shaders and EVT. The COD wii games look million years ahead the COD cube games. Monster Hunter 3 had nothing on the cube that could remotely compete.And if we compare Killer 7 with No More heroes 2 or Red Steel 2, well..Talking about reaching "cube " levels that peaked with rogue squadron(which didnt bother handling realistic characters), is a bit of no sense now in 2010 . Have you even played Darkside Chronicles or Silent Hill? I admit the xbox was an impressive machine, but the peak titles were not that plentiful and compared to the recent Wii games, they are indeed falling short at last. And it was about damm time.