I can't play Super Mario Galaxy without nearly vomiting.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pplufthesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pplufthesun
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts
How in the world am I to play that game without getting dizzy and throwing up. I can't even get past the first level. Help Me!
The_Real_Riku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 The_Real_Riku
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
You seem to have an extremely severe case of motion sickness. I play it no problem.
HALO2cookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HALO2cookie
Member since 2004 • 5846 Posts
I also have that problem after about 20 mins, i get a warm feeling and i feel dizzy and i have to switch it off otherwise i'll feel sick. I've only ever had a problem like this with games that spin around and stuff like that.... i can only play in small does :(
omgburgerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 omgburgerking
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts

Spaz. Haha just kidding. ;)

My brother said that at first when he was trying my copy of SMG, he got used to it.

Afrothund3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Afrothund3r
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts
Maybe you are epileptic.......Sucks.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Sucks to be you then.

I remember not being able to play alot of early first person shooters like Wolfenstein and the first Doom and games like that. I guess the extreme level of pixelization would give me instant motion sickness. I grew out of that as graphics improved, but obviouxsly for you, it has nothing to do with pixelization as was the case for me years ago.

Is the disorientation caused by the physics/gravity in the game? When Mariocan walk off the edge and walk on the bottom of the floor and the camera swivels around quickly? The best I can suggest is to play in small doses or watch other people play it and hopefully your brain will gradually adjust and not make you disoriented any more.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts

How in the world am I to play that game without getting dizzy and throwing up. I can't even get past the first level. Help Me!pplufthesun

I know its cool and really usefull if You have a long day of school ahead of You

Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Joe_Do_This_To
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts
Appperently you can play Quake just fine
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
FPSs can do that to me sometimes. When I first start Metroid Prime I was really nauseated, and during Black I threw up.
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts
I've got motion sickness too, can't play FPS games at all anymore. Mine is weird in that it started in my mid to late 20s, I played the original Wolf3D and many hours of Doom on the university LAN without problems. But yeah, I can only play SMG in small doses too (about 30 minutes at a stretch). Oh well, not the end of the world.
ReapX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 ReapX
Member since 2003 • 3571 Posts
There is medicine for motion sickness or you could try and get used to it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The first level is the worst then it gets better.

I made a thread about this on Thanksgiving

Sckepptickal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sckepptickal
Member since 2006 • 288 Posts
Motion sickness. Maybe don't think about how crazy it is that you're walking upside-down. Just PLAY it, and don't concentrate on the trippiness factor.
nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
I sorta went through that but apparently a lot of people did too, I kinda got some motion sickness when playing through the first level and got very disoriented when doing a 180 degree movement (going upside down for people that dont know) on a planet but eventually(actually very quickly) i got the hang of it and experienced the awesomeness that is Super mario galaxy. I suggest you try getting 2 stars in a galaxy and if you REALLY and i mean REALLY can't play the game then call a doctor. Or try playing on a bigger screen with a higher resolution if you can.
Linkthedueler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Linkthedueler
Member since 2003 • 4389 Posts

To much champagne last night? I havn't played it long enough to get that problem but when i watch someone play Soul Calibur Legends i want throw up :)

Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Joe_Do_This_To
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts
I get Car sicknes but i can play games all day
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
The firstgalaxy has pratically no gravity at all. It could be a Super Mario 64 level in concept. You can't have motion sickeness there. When you'll be on the middle of the game, you'll see more Mario being on the celling or on the walls.
jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts

For some reason i feel like throwing up reading this..

But i'm fine when i play the game.

JayGonDS89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JayGonDS89
Member since 2005 • 959 Posts
weak!
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts
i have motion sickness too. not as bad as you, i only get it if i like read a book while im in a moving vehicle.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Sucks for you TC, because the spinning and weird orientation only gets worst after the first stage, so if you cant play that theres no hope for you.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts
It certainly is very trippy at some points but I havnt experienced any motion sickness yet. I can see how you could though. If I did It would suck as the game is so good I wouldnt put it down and just gradually get worse and worse haha.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
maybe you shouldn't be playing videogames period
SonicWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SonicWind
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts
I can't see how people can get motion sickness when there is no motion. It's just a picture on screen with changing frames that makes the picture to appear to move. People usually get motion sickness when in motion - like on a plane, off roading, etc.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Takao Shimizu, the producer of Mario Galaxy, actually suffers from motion sickness. Reducing the causes of motion sickness in Galaxy was apparently a conscious part of the development process. Shimizu acted as a "motion sickness sensor" for the development team; any time he saw a part that made him feel queazy, he'd tell his team to fix it. But sometimes Miyamoto would overrule and tell them to make the camera angles "more extravagant" for a better overall effect.

So blame Miyamoto for your sickness. :P

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Miyamoto knows the cure for this and is working on it now. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you... "SUPER DR. MARIO GALAXY!!!" *woohoo*
Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
If I play Spider-Man 2 or Tony Hawk for a while, I get really dizzy. Hasn't happened with SMG yet.
20fox05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 20fox05
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

i have motion sickness too. not as bad as you, i only get it if i like read a book while im in a moving vehicle.alexh_99

Same

jznj03yjzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jznj03yjzn
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

I can't see how people can get motion sickness when there is no motion. It's just a picture on screen with changing frames that makes the picture to appear to move. People usually get motion sickness when in motion - like on a plane, off roading, etc. SonicWind

i agree its wierd

Black747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black747
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
If you get sick playing SMG, why did you give Shadow of the Colosus a 10 rating. WHen your holding on to the giants your always swaying back and forth at extreme speeds at high elevations. Would you get sick looking at that? Mario's WEAK compared to that.
pageiszepplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pageiszepplin
Member since 2006 • 712 Posts
i get that too, but i also get tired when playing it, which doesn't make sense because i play varsity soccer, and lacrosse, and start both i used to play football too. but im actually a little nauseous thinking about the game, or it might be the fact that i ate a 2 week old cookie off my bedroom floor, that my brother said i wouldnt
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

If you get sick playing SMG, why did you give Shadow of the Colosus a 10 rating. WHen your holding on to the giants your always swaying back and forth at extreme speeds at high elevations. Would you get sick looking at that? Mario's WEAK compared to that.Black747

Haha, I fell off a chair once playing Shadow...

I had a little adjusting to do when first playing SMG, but I was able to get over it pretty quickly.

onesimos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 onesimos
Member since 2005 • 320 Posts

If the physics and gravity in Galaxy causes you problems, it would best not to play the game. Read the game's instruction manual as it may deal with your problem.

I onced played Galaxy for nearly ten hours straight and I did not experience any motion sickness. However, the 3D spherical worlds and bizzare gravity took some time to get use to.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

Never had that problem with SMG... But I understand your problem, as I've gotten motion sick in the past with a few games. Most recently for me was Half Life 2 for the Orange Box, but I wouldn't say anywhere near as bad as your state.I can play Portal and Team Fortress 2 perfectly fine for some reason...

namd1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 namd1027
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts
I know the feeling that you have. Whenever I play any of the Burnout series, or any of the Metroid Prime series thathappens t me too. Haven't encountered it yet with SMG though.
Dr_Notes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 Dr_Notes
Member since 2003 • 83 Posts

it's a good thing it's nearly impossible for me to feel sick to my stomache. i think i'd have to be dangled off a sky scraper to get sick.

never had any problems playing games. not even portal bothered me. i was like, "what, it's a portal. here, watch me fly sideways from the ceiling."

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

motion sickness... well, that sucks... i'm not sure what you can do about it...

i hear a lot of Japanese people experience the same while playing first person shooters.. that's why they don't play them much...

good luck with that..

yoourrmoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yoourrmoom
Member since 2006 • 840 Posts

my dad has motion sickness really bad. if he scrolls up a website on the internet too fast, he gets dizzy. rewinding video tapes does it, too. we were watching home videos from 35 years ago (yes they had video cameras back then, no sound though) and he had to take medicine (dramamine) just so he wouldn't get dizzy from the person who shot the video's unstable hand. he hasn't played SMG but when he saw me play it, i told him to watch out.