How good is PES 2008?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I come from a nation that pretty much worships the "art" of soccer (no not England) and everyone buys the latest Winning Eleven game since the PSX. It's pretty much the only game played here. 24/7

I'm not really much into the soccer craze but I do enjoy a match from time to time. I've been hearing the controls are very nice and responsive, which is just the thing needed to break the monotony of the past games on ps2.

but my question focuses on the specifics of gameplay. Does the game have similar features as the older ones? Mainly, is there a league and cup mode? How about a Master mode, where you take or make a team of players and with each match their statistics grow, such as defense or attacking and the like?

If so then I'll be getting this game along with Mario kart Wii, Wii fit, and possibly Okami

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

You need to go to Metacritic and then check out the reviews of the game they tell you pretty much everything you will need to know.

The master mode has been replaced. The controls are completely different etc.

Phil

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
The Wii version is amazing. Don't think, just get it. You've never played a soccer game like this before. And that's a good thing.
Avatar image for krato_sephiroth
krato_sephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 krato_sephiroth
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

just get it

im sure youll enjoy it

no master leauge but something call champions road(more original)

amazing gameplay and surprisingly unlagging online

shadowlink797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 shadowlink797
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
This game is honestly the best soccer game I have ever played. It managed to pull me away from Brawl! Seriously just buy it.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thattotally
Well I'm mostly concerned about the Master league or "Champion's Road" as it seems to be called. I enjoyed the rpg-esque leveling of players after each match, and am wondering if that is found here. playing matches is fun but I want that kind of meaty single player campaign
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Well I'm mostly concerned about the Master league or "Champion's Road" as it seems to be called. I enjoyed the rpg-esque leveling of players after each match, and am wondering if that is found here. playing matches is fun but I want that kind of meaty single player campaign thattotally

Yes, it's there.

daxmontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 daxmontana
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

The gameplay is fun, definitely an innovative approach to controlling off-the-ball players.

The graphics are a terrible letdown though. But then all Wii graphics are a terrible let down (especially if you've ever played a PS3 or XBox). With the Wii, it's like we've been teleported back to 1996.

JC___2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 JC___2007
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts
It is a good game, but (for me) let down by the defensive controls, both in terms of what you can do, and the CPU AI. I seem to be in a minority so you should definately try it, its a new experience.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Champions League will take you a while. The RPG element is still there. And you learn new skills as you get farther in. The game is only 40$ compared to the normal 50$. I would have paid 50$ and still have been happy with it.

neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

it takes a few tries to get the hang of but thereafter its AMAZINGZING. im a bit annoyed that on regular i can beat everyone 10-0 but have yet to record a victory on professional difficulty. champions road is very good. you take control of the original master league team which is still pretty much the same as ISS PRO (Ordaz, Castolo, etc.) and they are as bad as always. when you play a match you can take 1 or 2 of the opposition players (depending on whether you win or not). you dont get to directly choose who you get though. you are shown loads of face down playing cards and if you move the pointer over them you get information about the player such as 'Use this player on the wings' or 'This player has phenomenal pace'. the original team gets completely replaced after about 20-30 games depending on your luck. Overall this is probably one of the most innovative, addictive football games ever.

bball_freak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 bball_freak_2
Member since 2006 • 1609 Posts

The gameplay is fun, definitely an innovative approach to controlling off-the-ball players.

The graphics are a terrible letdown though. But then all Wii graphics are a terrible let down (especially if you've ever played a PS3 or XBox). With the Wii, it's like we've been teleported back to 1996.

daxmontana

hahah do you own any games other than excite truck?

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thattotally

wow great the master league elements are present in the Champion's Road!

Well I'm definetely picking this game up now, cant wait to be able to playing using the Wii's great controls. This will surely be a game that I will play again and again and never get tired of!!

So thanks everyone for all your help!