How do I transfer games between the actual cartridge and downloaded? Worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrBorreli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrBorreli
Member since 2013 • 96 Posts
So my question is how can you transfer games from the physical copy on the little cartridge to a downloaded game?(Without losing any saved data) I'm positive there's a way to do it but i'm not sure. And also, is it worth it? Like would I lose any money if I did it for AC: New Leaf, and if so about how much? Thanks in advance!
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
You mean, putting retail games on the SD card? I don't think that's possible. Could you explain more, what you mean?
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I actually heard that this was going to be possible a while ago but never heard anything on it after, not sure if it was just a rumour but I'd like to find out as well!
MrBorreli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrBorreli
You mean, putting retail games on the SD card? I don't think that's possible. Could you explain more, what you mean?Spinnerweb
No not putting anything on the SD card, I'm positive someone told me a while ago that's there is a free software you can download via the EShop that allows you to transfer data between a downloaded game and the same game on a physical chip. I was told you need both though. And I forgot what it was they mentioned you need to use.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Are you talking about transferring save data from your cartridge to a digital download?
MrBorreli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrBorreli
Are you talking about transferring save data from your cartridge to a digital download?Kaze_no_Mirai
Yea, can you do that?
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I'm pretty sure the app is up on the eShop. I think its called "data transfer tool" or something like that.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
It seems like you'd need to buy the game again on the eShop and then you can transfer your save data from the cartridge to the downloaded version... can someone confirm this? That would suck because I wouldn't want to buy the game again, but it does make sense so that people don't just end up selling their physical copy.
RoniHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RoniHot
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts
Unless the only format available is downloading it, I will always buy the cartridge. I go through the DS system pretty quickly because I play it so dang much. If I have to replace my 3DS in a few years, I'll lose all my downloaded games. I just feel more secure having a hard copy of the game.
MrBorreli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrBorreli
I don't think you lose your downloaded games, i'm almost positive way there's a way to get them again. Right?
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
It seems like you'd need to buy the game again on the eShop and then you can transfer your save data from the cartridge to the downloaded version... can someone confirm this? That would suck because I wouldn't want to buy the game again, but it does make sense so that people don't just end up selling their physical copy.rubber-chicken
Yes you would have to buy the eShop version and then transfer over the save file. You could then sell your cartridge version but that's the only way you could do it.
Unless the only format available is downloading it, I will always buy the cartridge. I go through the DS system pretty quickly because I play it so dang much. If I have to replace my 3DS in a few years, I'll lose all my downloaded games. I just feel more secure having a hard copy of the game.RoniHot
You can transfer the games to a new 3DS. I already did it when I went from a regular 3DS to an XL. :)