How about Nintendo's next handheld after the 3DS uses a mini-projector?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I've thought about this for a while now and I would love to see Nintendo implement this as the main feature of their next handheld after the 3DS (or heck, even a 3DS redesign) in 2015 or 2016 whenever that device comes out. Mini-Projectors have been featured in recent cell phones and aren't as expensive as you might think to produce.

http://www.mobiletunnel.com/wp-content/uploads/GALAXY-beam-Product-Image-1.jpg

For example, the Samsung Beam has a mini-projector that doesn't add all that much bulk to the device, projects a 640x360 video for up to four hours on one charge with the image being projected by to 50 inches on a wall that is six feet away from you.

Surely Nintendo could wait for the costs of these things to go down even further, slap one in the next-gen 3DS in a few years. They could even cut some costs by making the projector slightly less high tech by limiting it to 640x360 resolution or limiting it to 20-30 inches. What do you think? I would love this feature and I do think if marketed right it could take off. Though it could also flop like 3D.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The problem is when you're watching a movie the mobile device is going to stay still. When you're playing a game on a handheld you're going to move around the whole unit when you press buttons and the entire image is going to move as a result.
RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

I am not too fond of this idea.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

No offense mate but this is a horrible idea.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bonesawisready5

Didn't really expect people to dislike this idea so much. People generally like the idea of hooking up their PSPs via TV cables (well, the people that had PSPs)

I don't get the problem with moving the device and moving the projected image. It can't be worse than breaking the 3D effect on the 3DS after all and that's a constant hinderance of the platform. I mean, are you really going to move the image around THAT much? Sure, in motion control games for sure but the game could always have particular parts where you must keep looking at the handheld's actual screens.

I can't imagine it would hurt my eyes or be hard to follow the image as it occassionally moves a few inches to the side but that's just me I suppose. Thanks for your feedback guys, guess this would never happen anyway.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
This would certainly be cool, but I don't think I would use it much. Seems a bit cumbersome and I'd rather just have a nice 3D screen to look at. It may work as an add-on accessory (perhaps a mini projector that hooks up via cable) but if they're gonna go that route, then connectivity with a TV seems more practical. Again it seems kind of neat, but I can't see the appeal beyond the initial "oh sweet, a projector" factor
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I was thinking it's a pretty interesting idea, but Haziq latched right onto the fatal flaw before I could think of any interesting applications.

The problem is when you're watching a movie the mobile device is going to stay still. When you're playing a game on a handheld you're going to move around the whole unit when you press buttons and the entire image is going to move as a result.Haziqonfire

I imagine even the tiniest hand movements would be greatly exaggerated.

It's hard to imagine from Nintendo's perspective, what gimick they could do next (if that's how they want to approach it).  The 3DS is already one of the most tricked-out consoles ever.

If they were just to upgrade the hardware, I think it'd really open things up so much more that people would actually want to use them, and developers would take notice of the potential.  On the current version, the way most of the gimmicks are implemented is a bit clunky.  It's like a prototype without all the issues ironed out.  With better cameras front and back and a better screen, the augmented reality could be truly like looking through a window, and with better graphics, the 3d effect could be so much more tangable. 

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Or how about the next Nintendo device focus on raw processing power and a larger number of games to play instead of wasting R&D on gimmicks that only change the way we play on an aesthetic level?
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
What I want in the next Nintendo handheld is essentially a 3DS but better hardware and an OLED screen. The Vita's screen is fantastic to look at even if it doesn't have many games I care about.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
The problem is when you're watching a movie the mobile device is going to stay still. When you're playing a game on a handheld you're going to move around the whole unit when you press buttons and the entire image is going to move as a result.Haziqonfire
I was just about to say "OMG YES!" but then I read this post :( Haziqonfire has a point.

Didn't really expect people to dislike this idea so much. People generally like the idea of hooking up their PSPs via TV cables (well, the people that had PSPs)

I don't get the problem with moving the device and moving the projected image. It can't be worse than breaking the 3D effect on the 3DS after all and that's a constant hinderance of the platform. I mean, are you really going to move the image around THAT much? Sure, in motion control games for sure but the game could always have particular parts where you must keep looking at the handheld's actual screens.

I can't imagine it would hurt my eyes or be hard to follow the image as it occassionally moves a few inches to the side but that's just me I suppose. Thanks for your feedback guys, guess this would never happen anyway.

bonesawisready5
No, it CAN and WOULD be worse then breaking the 3DS effect.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Or how about the next Nintendo device focus on raw processing power and a larger number of games to play instead of wasting R&D on gimmicks that only change the way we play on an aesthetic level?JustPlainLucas
That's crazy talk.
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

That... could work. o.o

Right?

I can't help but think people might be underestimating this idea. The system shaking when you press buttons is a good point though. But actually, the projected image can be secondary, you'd still look at the system for the main game. Also, maybe the projecter could be placed with shock absorbers to minimize its movements. And so when it does move, it would bob instead of jitter.

Also, this idea gets bonus plausibility points for being consistent with WiiU's blurring the lines between handhelds and console. Imagine, WiiU, a console with handheld capability, and 3DS 2, a handheld that can project a TV screen in your home.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

Also, this idea gets bonus plausibility points for being consistent with WiiU's blurring the lines between handhelds and console. Imagine, WiiU, a console with handheld capability, and 3DS 2, a handheld that can project a TV screen in your home.

final_lap
That's pretty much what I'm hoping for in the future. A game system that can function as a handheld or a console, depending on your preference at any given time.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Obviously the next one is the 4DS. Time travel built in.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Nah. I want it to do a reverse Wii U and stream an image to a TV. 

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bonesawisready5

Or how about the next Nintendo device focus on raw processing power and a larger number of games to play instead of wasting R&D on gimmicks that only change the way we play on an aesthetic level?JustPlainLucas

Yea, no. I mean, I'd love the power upgrade but I'd rather see what the next crazy innovation Nintendo has in store for us. I enjoy the 3D screen, Wiimote, and Wii U Game Pad. Once Nintendo starts playing by everyone else's rules and starts simply pumping hardware whose only real strength is 'more power'.

I'd be fine with their next handheld in 2015/2016/2017 having a dual or quad-core CPU @1Ghz and 512MB-1GB RAM. Of course by that point I'm sure phones will be rocking 4GB-8GB RAM and have 8-Core 2Ghz CPUs so it will look outdated by that time but I don't care. So long as the screen is 800x480 I'll be happy personally.

Also, I'd rather the battery life be fantastic. If that means a slower CPU and a screen @ 480p instead of the likely 2000x1000 screens phones will be using in 2016 then I'm fine with that too.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I don't know if I'd be up for that. The PSP TV out was a neat feature but in reality all it did was blow up an already low resolution image and make it look horrible. Given Nintendo's track record of handheld resolution (the 3DS is lower res than the original PSP, accounting for 3D) a projector would only highlight its flaws. That and even the 3DS XL's battery life is bad enough as it is, I can only imagine what a more powerful next gen Nintendo handheld would be if it had to perform CPU and GPU functions as well as project an image.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34776 Posts

Or how about it don't, and totally uses a hologram instead. O.O

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonesawisready5

I don't know if I'd be up for that. The PSP TV out was a neat feature but in reality all it did was blow up an already low resolution image and make it look horrible. Given Nintendo's track record of handheld resolution (the 3DS is lower res than the original PSP, accounting for 3D) a projector would only highlight its flaws. That and even the 3DS XL's battery life is bad enough as it is, I can only imagine what a more powerful next gen Nintendo handheld would be if it had to perform CPU and GPU functions as well as project an image.DJ_Lae

Like I said, that Samsung Beam phone can  play games and stream video for up to 4 hours at much higher resolutions than the 3DS screen up to 50 inches with this mini-projector.

If that can get 4 hours with Android gaming and video I imagine Nintendo could figure out a way to get 5-7 hours of mini-projector use on a 800x480 image up to 20-25 inches.

On the subject of resolution: We'll be lucky if Nintendo's next handheld is 800x480. I'd guess it would be 640x360 most likely, if not 480x320 sadly

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I am not sure what benefits this would have for gaming other than playing on a bigger screen, which what the home consoles are for.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#21 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

A cooler thing would be if they made something like the GBA player for GameCube only for playing 3DS games on the Wii U. I use my GBA player a lot but never really use the TV out on my PSP though, even though I was really excited to get it. I couldn't see myself finding a chair four to six feet from a white wall to play games on but I guess it could be a neat feature for multimedia.

thriftymutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 thriftymutt
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts

Or how about it don't, and totally uses a hologram instead. O.O

Litchie

YES!  A hologram.  I don't know if I'm correct but I seem to remember an odd wizard game in the year 1994 playing in a hologram setting in the arcade correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember this I'mma look it up on google now!  :D

thriftymutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 thriftymutt
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts

I found it!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8-8hnyDPCU

Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

there wont be any other handhelds(unfortunately).the tablet/smartphone market will kill them eventually

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bonesawisready5

there wont be any other handhelds(unfortunately).the tablet/smartphone market will kill them eventually

Hate_Squad

No, handhelds will still be around. Maybe only Nintendo handhelds. You see people act like tablets/smartphones are going to burst the dedicated gaming handheld bubble (which with 3DS selling 15 million per year this is clearly not happening) but no one seems to look at when and how the smartphone gaming bubble will burst.

We're already seeing a bunch of studios close because of taking gambles on trying to be the next Angry Birds, etc. Even Epic closed the studio that was making Infinity Blade. The phone gaming trend will decline too, no matter how many phones are out there. All of these types of gaming will co-exist. Consoles didn't kill PC gaming, PC gaming has never hurt console gaming, flash games and facebook games didn't hurt anything either. They all co-exist after a few years of people thinking something will give out when in the ended nothing really changes IMO

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Hate_Squad

shush! Handhelds are the future. If something has to die, let it be consoles.