Hairline crack on front of 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformersFan
TransformersFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TransformersFan
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

Hi there,

I just purchased a 3DS this past Saturday. Today, when I was playing outside, I noticed that in the glare on the sun, a very faint, but noticeable hairline crack on the top cover of the console. I have a black 3DS so the contrast against the color made it stand out. The crack isnt on the surface, because when you run your finger over it, you dont feel anything, but when you angle the console into the light, you can see its under the glossy surface. Its not affecting anything, and appears to be purely a cosmetic blemish, but now that Ive seen it, I cant unsee it. I bothers me because I just bought it not 4 days ago from Gamestop and the console is so expensive. I called the store and they said I can exchange it, but they havent seen it yet, and to be honest, you cant really see it unless its under sunlight and you try looking for it. I dont want to be one of those customers who come back and complain about the slightest imperfections, or have the staff snicker at me because Im being so picky about it.

My question: Has anyonelse had similar issues with their 3DS's? I did a quick google search and found a few issues that are similar but usually occur around the camera lense.

Ill try to post a pic later.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah, post a pic. I'm looking at mine (black 3DS too) and I can't see anything.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#3 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

mine is near perfect just a scratch on the uper screen from when its closed i guess its a minor defect cause it dont affect my playing of it , and the only time i really notice it is in direct sun light

which it is already hard to play in the sun to begin with i aint that worried

JamTKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 JamTKD
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts
This is a crack you can't feel, can only see when you hold it up at an angle in direct light, and is 100% unnoticeable unless you are closing the system (making you unable to play games) and looking directly at it? ...and you want to return it? In all honesty dude, you'll more likely in danger of getting a 3DS with a bad hinge or bottom screens that scratch the top screen or something. Keep it.
BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

If it bothers you return it. $250 is a lot of money and you deserve to be 100% satisfied.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

I understand your concern 100%. When I buy a new handheld gaming system, ipod, or whatever, just the tiny little things like a scratch will bug the crap out of me when I first get it. I got my 3DS about two weeks ago and the first thing I did was get some screen protectors for it. I put the bottom one on and somehow a tiny little piece of fuzz got underneath it. That tiny little thing bugged me so much that I actually went out and spent another $10 on a screen protector pack. When I spend that much money on things like these, I want them flawless, at least for a while (I generally don't care as much after I've had it for a while). Anyway, as for your situation, my advice is to actually keep your current 3DS. I know that scratch or whatever it is may be bugging you, but trust me, it's impossible to keep your 3DS perfect anyway. I've only had mine for two weeks and I've taken top notch care of it, and it's already got finger prints galore on it and I'm sure there are already some small scratches and marks on it.

Bin3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bin3D
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
That scratch would bud me too death, I'd return it for a new one. Since it was manufactured with that scratch it should be no problem to return.
buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
mine is slightly lighter near the front as if it was sitting out in the sun for a while and suffered some discoloration but its been like that since i took it out of the box
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#9 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

I know how you feel, i just bought a dsi xl (25th anniversary) and noticed in the light you can see a weird dint in the gloss finish, it really bugs me! I don't suppose there is much you can do about it though.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

You paid alot of money for it so you should not have to deal a defective product. Just return it and get another one.