Games for Wii-U that could make it or break it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Well my Wii-U hype is rising, and I am insanely eager for the system's release. However I am still very curious and here is my list of games that could either be huge successes, or fall hard.

New Super Mario Bros. U

Mario is such a fantastic mascot and franchise, and we Nintendo continues to prove they are the best in the buisiness when concerning platformers. However it seems Mario is losing his charm, and running out of new ideas. New Super Mario Bros. U however will be launching the Wii-U, and hopefully the new touchscreen and cooperative play will once again sell us into Mario once again.

Verdict: Large success one more time

Although Nintendo's clearly running out of ideas, it would be hard to see any Mario game fail, especially when launching with a brand new console. Nintendo still is capable of making fantastic platformers, and the Wii-U gamepad should be just enough to make this a huge success, however I think we will all need a break from 2D Mario's after this release.

ZombiU:

ZombiU is one of the most exciting Wii-U launch titles. It certainly has innovative ideas, and looks to really sell the tablet like controller idea. However its not the first time Ubisoft has made interesting looking launch titles, which end up being busts (Redsteel anyone?). However ZombiU may start a whole new breed of survival horros for the Wii-U. Also the fact it runs at 1080p is a nice bonus.

Verdict: Success, but not without some issues

I think ZombiU has enough creative juice, and enough care taken with the game that it will be an overall enjoyable experience. However, I do believe there may be a couple issues, maybe some awkward controls in some points, maybe not even depth within the game, maybe the game is too punishing, who knows right now. However I think the games creative ideas, unique concepts, and true survival horror gameplay will be enough for success, and likely a new and improved sequel, fixing any issues with the original.

Nintendo Land:

Talking about selling the gamepad, Nintendo Land is suppose to be the Wii Sports of the Wii-U. The game will be bundled with the deluxe edition, however the basic edition is left without it. It will be sold as a full retail game at $60. The game surely shows some unique uses of the gamepad, and the whole idea of a Nintendo themed amusement park is pretty awesome, however is this more then just a bundle game, or does it do well in its own right?

Verdict: Major Success as a bundle game, so-so as a retail game

Wii Sports was a fantastic mini game to show people some of the fun in motion controls. It was a relatively small game, but it had enough content to have people come back to it. However if Nintendo sold it as a retail game, people may not have given it a chance. People who get the deluxe bundle will surely love the inclusion of this awesome theme park adventure, and just like Wii Sports it will have excellent local multiplayer, and be a lot of fun. However people who go basic will surely ignore it. Why would you get a $300 console and a $60 game when you could get them together for $350 plus extra storage and accessories. People who want this game will get the bundle, people who don't will probably ignore it. For people like myself who do buy the deluxe bundle, I think the game will be a ton of fun and be a great demonstration on Nintendo's latest console.

Multi-platform games:

Well this isn't really specific, but the Wii-U is releasing several ports, and I think many people like myself are trying to decide to invest in new Wii-U versions, or stick to the current gen consoles. Its tough for me to decide, for games like Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 I will ignore because I already own them on an Xbox 360. However for games like Assasins Creed 3, Black Ops 2 and NBA 2K13 I'm still unsure. Since all of my friends own an Xbox 360 I would like to play multiplayer with them, and also most will be released a bit earlier on current gen systems. However I really do like the new features included for these games. For NBA 2K13 you use the bottom screen to play call, call substitutions and see player fatigue, Black Ops 2 uses it as an on the fly change class, and for split screen features like Zombies you don't have to share a screen. Also most games will be able to be played solely on the gamepad which is cool. Most third party games are supposed to run at 1080p, games like Assasins Creed 3, Arkham City and Black Ops 2 are some games that are supposed to.

Verdict: Success for new multiplatform games like Assasins Creed 3, Not for enhanced ports like Mass Effect 3.

For people who wanted games like Mass Effect 3, I'm sure they already own an Xbox 360 or PS3. The new versions of games don't quite have enough content for people to rebuy games, sure it includes DLC, but its nothing entirely new. I would love to play Arkham City on the Wii-U, and I think it will be the best version, but its hard to fork out $60 on a better version on a game I already have. However for games like Assasins Creed 3, and even games that were just recently released like Tekken Tag Tournament 2, it may succeed well. It would be great to get new multiplatform titles alongside a new console, and its a great way to start building a library for your new console. The difference between the versions aren't huge, but the Wii-U versions will have advantages, and people like myself will buy games just to see what they are like on a new console. It will surely give people an idea how the tablet can improve current titles, as well as create entirely new experiences. Also playing solely on the tablet's screen is pretty awesome.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

After playing ZombiU it's nothing more then a tech demo.

Nintendo fans are falling for the "let's make one mechanic and call it a game" instead of making a complete game that features that mechanic

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
The only thing that's going to make or break the Wii U is Nintendoland, NSMBU, and Wii Fit U down the road.
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

The WiiU is already broken, People who bought Wii won't get it and gamers don't want it either.

If the general reaction from the announcement that a new system is getting exclusive 3rd party games is anger, then that is all you really need to know.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

The WiiU is already broken, People who bought Wii won't get it and gamers don't want it either.

If the general reaction from the announcement that a new system is getting exclusive 3rd party games is anger, then that is all you really need to know.

Gamefan1986

And yet it's already sold out in the U.S. so someone must be buying it.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Only Mario will have much of an effect out of these three games. And that's only because Mario is so popular. They could probabaly have made this game for Wii, there isn't much you want to do with a 2d platformer that requires a new console, other than the fact they want to coerce you into buying a new console.

I see ZombiU as a soon-to-be-forgotten zombie game. There are no end of these, and none of them are particularly memorable.

I see Nintendoland as a soon-to-be-forgotten mini-game collection.

Pikmin is another that might be a big deal, but but it's not something I see as make or break.

I think what'll really make a difference is when they get a Zelda. That will be an opportunity to show the power of the system, and bring in core gamers at a time when Sony and Microsoft will probably be trying to persuade them with their new systems. Look at the tech demo, not that graphics are everything, but those visuals were so delicious I could easily see spending many hours happily immersed in that world.

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

im getting the wii u because I didn't have the wii to play xenoblade and last story so there

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Monster Hunter and Nsmbu seem more worthwhile. I can't get a Wii U anytime soon but once I can I'm hoping six months or more past launch we'll see better games popping up preferably not ports old games, mini compilations, and hopefully not too many kids games. coz well if we wanted those games the wii library is chalk full of em and wii u is backwards compatible so they can afford to go light on kids games

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
you missed the major key for success: Are casuals willing to shell out another $300+ for a new game system that doesn't have wii sports?
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

After playing ZombiU it's nothing more then a tech demo.

Nintendo fans are falling for the "let's make one mechanic and call it a game" instead of making a complete game that features that mechanic

Jaysonguy
That tech demo (that I've played too) has a 12-14 hour campaign and a pretty well fleshed out asymetrical local multiplayer mode. I don't recall any tech demo's being that fleshed out. Additionally this tech demo started as a Rabbid game for 360/PS3, then became Killer Freaks on Wii U, now Zombi U so a considerable amount of time has gone into this "tech demo" But it is silly for either you or me to say it is or isn't a tech demo based on what is likely less than an hour of playtime between the both of us. But it certainly looks like it has much more meat to this package than most tech demos IMO.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Gamefan1986
Maybe those angry people are just **** who can't share things? I mean, how conceded do you have to be to get upset that Nintendo is actually trying to compete with other companies to have more "core" games by publishing Bayonetta 2 and getting friendly with Platinum, Namco, etc? Who the **** is anyone to tell Nintendo not to do this? Competition is a good thing for everyone, but when Nintendo steps up their game people get jealous.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
New Super Mario Bros and Wii Fit are its biggest games. If those don't push sales, nothing will.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]

white_wolf922

xD
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

jaysonguy you dont belong on these forums since you dont like nintendo go to the 360 forum if that makes you happy

because let me tell you what they do on the other side of the fense

they slap call of duty on the title or halo on the title and call it a game so get lost

my list of good games

bayonetta 2

nsmb2

Zombie u

cod bo 2

madden 13

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i think the biggest game will be either the first zelda or 3D mario platformer to come out. obviously those are big games so it wouldnt be good for the console if they suck. however, if they get too big, i wonder if that will lead to non-nintendo games getting overlooked again.

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]

white_wolf922

Yea hardcore Nintendo fans.