This topic is locked from further discussion.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

Now that the wii has been out how would you compare it to the gamecube? Is it better or worse?

Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
I like them both.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

you could say the Wii is better because it is backwards compatible to the gamecube making it obsolete. Which gives the edge to Wii.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

you could say the Wii is better because it is backwards compatible to the gamecube making it obsolete. Which gives the edge to Wii.

kittensRjerks
True. The Wii can already play every Gamecube game plus Wii games so that automatically makes it better. Overall though even without the backwards compatibility I'd still say the Wii beats the GC by a lot. I have definitely had more fun this gen than I've had in a long time.
srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

kittensRjerks

agree

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Wii is better. But even better thanks to BC.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I enjoyed my GC last gen a lot more than I have my Wii this gen, besides the long droughts with no games we had a while back I think one reason may be the absence of a player choice selection this gen. A lot of Wii games have been underwhelming compared to some of the games on other platforms where as GC games were often more ground breaking.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

I enjoyed my GC last gen a lot more than I have my Wii this gen, besides the long droughts with no games we had a while back I think one reason may be the absence of a player choice selection this gen. A lot of Wii games have been underwhelming compared to some of the games on other platforms where as GC games were often more ground breaking.

SapSacPrime

i think thats a good argument for the GCN, the position both consoles had in their perspective gen in terms of hardware power, which then resulted in games being better on the GCN, while the wii has the opposite, games are worse on it.

However, the Wii is a better console overall imo. And with its BC its really no contest.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

I enjoyed the GC much more.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

Yeah I think I enjoyed the Gamecube more too.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Wii can play Gamecube

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
really must this question be asked the wii is better because it plays gamecube games
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Hard to say.
The GC had better software for the generation it was a part of. GC games were more comparable to the competition.
The GCdidn't have the same amount of must-have games the main competition had, but it was still worth owning a GC because the games that were great for the system, were truely great for their time.

The Wii's software libraryisn't very comparable to the competition. There have been some really great games to come along for he Wii, but in terms of the current generation, even Nintendos best doesn't quite seem like enough to say it's on the same level as it's competitors. There are some games for the Wii that are so good that they will forever be mentioned in future discussions about this gen (Mario Galaxy series for example), but this time it truely feels like Nintendo is far behind.

I guess I'll say the GC was a better system because it was more equipped to go head-to-head with its competitors. It didn't feel like you were playing on totally outdated tech.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

GC could play GBA games, so it's a toss up.Wish theycould let us play DS games on the Wii in the same way.

ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ps2snesgod
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts

alrighty i said a while ago that the gc was better than the wii but reowning one i'm not so sure. for the most part the first party is much better on wii kirby epic yarn,mario galaxy 1 and 2,mario kart wii i feel are better than the predecessors however paper mario 2, super smash brothers melee and twilight princess is better than the wii ones then on the third party front there is a big toss up in terms of quality when looking at the best, but quanity gamecube beats the wii by miles

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

Yeah I think I enjoyed the Gamecube more too.

Jelley0
Your sig made me press Ctrl W :lol:
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think Wii is better.

Not just because of Backwards Compatibility, but because I have a better library of games.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#18 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
It's close, but I enjoyed the GCN more back in the day. Metroid Prime is what tips the scale in favor of the GCN for me.
EasyNormalHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EasyNormalHard
Member since 2010 • 264 Posts

Now that the wii has been out how would you compare it to the gamecube? Is it better or worse?

ssj_neo

The Gamecube, that purple lunch box, that thing was horrible it might have been the worst system released next to the Panasonic console. Wii is way better because of the games and its just plain out fun.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Wii has Backwards Compatibility and VC, so it wins
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

[QUOTE="ssj_neo"]

EasyNormalHard

The Gamecube, that purple lunch box, that thing was horrible it might have been the worst system released next to the Panasonic console. Wii is way better because of the games and its just plain out fun.

Wow, really? Harsh indeed but okay.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

Half-Way

i think thats a good argument for the GCN, the position both consoles had in their perspective gen in terms of hardware power, which then resulted in games being better on the GCN, while the wii has the opposite, games are worse on it.

However, the Wii is a better console overall imo. And with its BC its really no contest.

thats not entirely true however, as the xbox eventually showed its power advatage and the cube lost some multiplats just because it couldnt handle(far cry for cube and ps2 were canceled simply due to lack of power from those systems), and in the later part of cycle, xbox ended getting Doom 3 and half life while Cube had to settle with low end games like Geist(in terms of power, not gameplay).Cube had a rough time with long drought cycles and lack of unique appeal in games . So overall, wii got more unique games this gen(games like Lost in Shadow or Chocobo Dungeon,etc).
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I liked the gamecube more.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

intro94

thats not entirely true however, as the xbox eventually showed its power advatage and the cube lost some multiplats just because it couldnt handle(far cry for cube and ps2 were canceled simply due to lack of power from those systems), and in the later part of cycle, xbox ended getting Doom 3 and half life while Cube had to settle with low end games like Geist(in terms of power, not gameplay).Cube had a rough time with long drought cycles and lack of unique appeal in games . So overall, wii got more unique games this gen(games like Lost in Shadow or Chocobo Dungeon,etc).

I know that the GCN suffered from middle-child complex, being in-between xbox's power and the ps2's popularity was pretty hard on it.

The reason why i complimented the argument is because its one of the few ones that actually work (excluding subjective ones like "i like it better"). The only other i can think about atm is the fact that GCN could play GBA games. which was great, because of the huge library the GBA had.

The truth is simply that the Wii is superior to the GCN in almost every way possible, the same is true with the xbox360 this gen, compared to the xbox last gen. While the ps3 lost some popularity and the sheer amount of games that where released on the ps2.

EDIT: that being said, the Wii is the only one taking full advantage of the BC with the GCN, and therefor is the only console this gen that turned completely around and became way superior then its predecessor.